PDA

View Full Version : Latest saber-rattling out of the ME...

ouwasp
10/26/2013, 12:09 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/10/25/iran-bomb-uranium-israel/3186567/

My question is: if Israel is indeed so terribly concerned about Iran's nuclear capability, why are they still merely talking about it?

Talk is cheap. Action speaks louder than words. Iran is NOT going to voluntarily give up its' nuclear program. Why is Israel so obtuse about this?

Further question: Will Israel finally act... or is it just more huffing and puffing?

diverdog
10/26/2013, 03:32 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/10/25/iran-bomb-uranium-israel/3186567/

My question is: if Israel is indeed so terribly concerned about Iran's nuclear capability, why are they still merely talking about it?

Talk is cheap. Action speaks louder than words. Iran is NOT going to voluntarily give up its' nuclear program. Why is Israel so obtuse about this?

Further question: Will Israel finally act... or is it just more huffing and puffing?

They do not have the ability to destroy their nuclear program.

ouwasp
10/26/2013, 07:46 PM
This is true. But if they feel this to be an existential threat, they are probably obligated to delay it as much as possible. Saw an article where it was said Israel believes they could set the Irani nuke program back 5 yrs if they hit it...

They have to know without doubt that the US is not going to aid them in this endeavor. Nobody is. So why all the talk?

cleller
10/28/2013, 08:31 AM
Not much trouble with saber-rattlers around here, but yesterday I almost grabbed a pygmy-rattler while reaching into some grass to pick up some rebar electric fence posts. Scary. Ever tried to kill a snake with a piece of rebar?

diverdog
10/28/2013, 09:08 AM
Not much trouble with saber-rattlers around here, but yesterday I almost grabbed a pygmy-rattler while reaching into some grass to pick up some rebar electric fence posts. Scary. Ever tried to kill a snake with a piece of rebar?

I stepped on a two foot long baby timber rattlesnake (most likely 18 inches or less if the truth be known) while backpacking the AT in Pennsylvania. Scare the **** out of me. I never saw it. He was chomping on my hiking boot. I see them from time to time but never that close.

cleller
10/30/2013, 06:31 AM
I stepped on a two foot long baby timber rattlesnake (most likely 18 inches or less if the truth be known) while backpacking the AT in Pennsylvania. Scare the **** out of me. I never saw it. He was chomping on my hiking boot. I see them from time to time but never that close.

These pygmys only get about 18 inches long most of the time. Tiny little rattlers on the end. Not very aggressive unless they cannot get away, I've read.

There MO is to back up against a tree (one time the front door to the house) and watch for something to pass in front of them. Had never seen one until about 5 years ago, now I usually kill about 2-3 a year.

This was the biggest one I'd seen, maybe 2 ft long. Found him in the garage one day.

http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww14/cs6000/IMG_2204_zps8645e4a1.jpg (http://s701.photobucket.com/user/cs6000/media/IMG_2204_zps8645e4a1.jpg.html)

8timechamps
10/30/2013, 08:19 PM
They do not have the ability to destroy their nuclear program.

Do you mean Israel? They have more then enough ability to destroy Iran's nuclear program. The biggest single reason they haven't already taken action is because the administration in the White House has strongly urged them to hold off.

Israel will strike Iran in the next 12 months if nothing is done to force Iran's hand.

diverdog
10/30/2013, 09:37 PM
Do you mean Israel? They have more then enough ability to destroy Iran's nuclear program. The biggest single reason they haven't already taken action is because the administration in the White House has strongly urged them to hold off.

Israel will strike Iran in the next 12 months if nothing is done to force Iran's hand.

Champs:

They can delay their program but they cannot destroy it. The US and maybe the Russians are the only countries who could take it out. The facilities are dispersed, buried deep underground and hardened with a new generation of concrete.

SoonerProphet
10/31/2013, 08:50 AM

That would only push them to pursue a rapid break out capability and build a weapon.

8timechamps
10/31/2013, 02:46 PM
Champs:

They can delay their program but they cannot destroy it. The US and maybe the Russians are the only countries who could take it out. The facilities are dispersed, buried deep underground and hardened with a new generation of concrete.

Don't forget Israel has tactical nukes available. I'm not really suggesting they would use them (wouldn't that be some irony?!), but they have the capability.

I see your point though, and while they probably wouldn't commit the time and resources to wipe out their nuclear program, they could certainly deliver a crippling blow.

8timechamps
10/31/2013, 02:48 PM
That would only push them to pursue a rapid break out capability and build a weapon.

I'm pretty sure that's what Israel assumes is happening anyway (Netanyahu pretty much says it anyway). For them, it's an imminent concern, and regardless of what the US says, they aren't going to wait until Iran has that capability before acting. If they get a hint that Iran is close, they'll strike.