PDA

View Full Version : 18 yr old kids....jeeze (my son)

Soonerjeepman
10/24/2013, 10:44 AM
ok, so kid is getting a few looks for baseball. Probably Independence CC in Ks.
But today I told him to ask his school counselor about other scholarships; grades, his Eagle, etc...

his response:

"Dad, I'm a stud; I bet my good looks might get me some extra cash, cause you already know I have a full ride for baseball"

my response:

"whatever"

SoonerStormchaser
10/24/2013, 11:11 AM
Your son has balls, right?

badger
10/24/2013, 11:16 AM
"cause you already know I have a full ride for baseball"

stud jokes aside... nobody gets a full ride in baseball alone. (http://www.informedathlete.com/the-effect-of-new-scholarship-rules-in-division-i-baseball)

I mean, it sometimes happens, but the NCAA scholly limits usually don't allow it. Someone who qualifies for getting a baseball-only full ride is likely going pro instead.

SanJoaquinSooner
10/24/2013, 01:35 PM

He has an eagle. But I think that's right - the athletic scholarships are limited so that most get a fraction of one, filled in with means based or merit based aid.

badger
10/24/2013, 01:58 PM
He has an eagle. But I think that's right - the athletic scholarships are limited so that most get a fraction of one, filled in with means based or merit based aid.

It's not as bad as it once was, where baseball scholarships could be as little as textbooks and nothing else, but even if your son wasn't an Ace with balls and an Eagle, by all means apply for every award you possibly can. High school graduating seniors get showered with memorial grants and scholarships that often are just checks written by local organizations that you can drop in the kid's bank account, no ties to bursar, grades, etc.

If he drags his feet due to needing to write an essay or filling out forms with his name repeatedly gets tedious, threaten to pelt him with baseballs

Soonerjeepman
10/24/2013, 02:39 PM
lol...yes, I know baseball scholly's are very limited. A friend of his who he played tball to Jr high ball with is going to Wichita State...he got a 35% scholly.

Just his arrogance...guess he'll find out.

Soonerjeepman
10/24/2013, 02:41 PM

until they get kicked by his arrogance. The BIG problem was the Indy coach told him he could have a really successful college career pitching, which is the first coach hs or other wise to say that..so his head blew up...

badger
10/24/2013, 03:32 PM
Looking at your location, at least it'll be community college (lower cost than university) and in-state. That said, the partial scholarship will be an even smaller award, but at least he'll be getting something.

If he needs his ego defused, just show him what his peers will be making straight out of high school if they're first round MLB picks like one-time OU commit Archie Bradley. $5 million over 5 years, and he'll still be eligible to come back some day to be our version of Brandon Weeden if MLB doesn't work out.

Soonerjeepman
10/24/2013, 03:53 PM
lol...oh he knows. We've talked about Bubba Starling...(think that was his name) #5 overall pick of Royals, local kid. Very much a stud athlete in HS all sports...$7 mill signing bonus.

Yes, I'm very happy...so is he....he just has a bit of an ego right now.

He didn't even think of playing college ball til last yr. So I think the coach's words surprised him. He's not bad, pitcher, 6'3 but only 175 lbs now. We'll see. It'll pay for something.

The main point was the typical 18 yr old I've got the world by it's tail attitude response...I just shake my head...lol

8timechamps
10/24/2013, 04:14 PM
I've got one of those (18 year olds). He's in college now, but insists that he'll be a "Professional DJ" eventually.

I told him as long as he gets his degree, he can do whatever he wants afterward.

rock on sooner
10/24/2013, 04:34 PM
I've got one of those (18 year olds). He's in college now, but insists that he'll be a "Professional DJ" eventually.

I told him as long as he gets his degree, he can do whatever he wants afterward.

Hopefully, his degree will be in something marketable...my son changed his four
times and settled on finance. Has a good job now. My daughter's first one is Spanish,
after she got angry at the theater department's head guy and finished one credit short of that
major. Now she has a B of S in Nursing and planning for her Master's She's found
her calling in nursing....sometimes the kids' just gotta feel their way around.....

Breadburner
10/24/2013, 05:41 PM
Make him start paying rent and ****......

SicEmBaylor
10/24/2013, 05:51 PM

A couple of weeks before I left for Baylor back in 2001, I came home one evening to find both my parents sitting in my room. My mother was in tears and my dad looked pained....they both explained to me that they absolutely did not want me to feel like they were "forcing" me out of the house and into college. They told me if I wanted to live at home for the rest of my life and have them support me then they absolutely wanted me to let them do that because the last thing they wanted was to lose me and have me out of the house.

My parents would throw themselves into a speeding train before they ever accepted one dime from either of their children.

8timechamps
10/24/2013, 08:45 PM
Hopefully, his degree will be in something marketable...my son changed his four
times and settled on finance. Has a good job now. My daughter's first one is Spanish,
after she got angry at the theater department's head guy and finished one credit short of that
major. Now she has a B of S in Nursing and planning for her Master's She's found
her calling in nursing....sometimes the kids' just gotta feel their way around.....

I've actually been supportive of his plans, although I highly doubt there is a music career of any kind in his future. He wasn't the kind of kid that really wanted to go to college, and I was okay with that too (thinking I would get a windfall of money, since it wouldn't be used for school ;) ). But, over the summer we (including my ex-wife) had a lot of discussions, and he decided it was his best route.

He's a great kid (the "easy" one, my youngest is a handful), he just hasn't found his calling yet and is in the "I have no idea what I want to do" phase of his life. I have no doubt he'll get it figure out.

I have a very high regard for the nursing profession. My mom was a nurse for many years, and I've seen first hand how difficult, and at times, thankless that career can be. I applaud your daughter, and wish her the best.

I majored in Graphic Design for the first two years of school, then finished with Business Administration. At 18, I thought I would be a famous artist, turns out I'm just a not famous financial advisor. I had no idea I had interest in finance until I got the opportunity. Finance is a good thing to have a background in, there's always work somewhere. You're son is smart ;)

8timechamps
10/24/2013, 08:47 PM

My ex and I told our boys that after high school, if they plan to live with either of us, they have to either pay rent or be in college.

We're hard core like that Sic'em ;)

badger
10/25/2013, 12:18 PM
A couple of weeks before I left for Baylor back in 2001, I came home one evening to find both my parents sitting in my room. My mother was in tears and my dad looked pained....they both explained to me that they absolutely did not want me to feel like they were "forcing" me out of the house and into college. They told me if I wanted to live at home for the rest of my life and have them support me then they absolutely wanted me to let them do that because the last thing they wanted was to lose me and have me out of the house.

My parents would throw themselves into a speeding train before they ever accepted one dime from either of their children.

With that kind of leverage, why did they insist you not attend OU :D

badger
10/25/2013, 12:21 PM
I have a very high regard for the nursing profession. My mom was a nurse for many years, and I've seen first hand how difficult, and at times, thankless that career can be. I applaud your daughter, and wish her the best.
Both parents are nurses. Lots of job security, as there's lots of old people that need nursing home care and fairly good benefits and pay. However, the dreaded three: Nights, weekends and holidays. You'll be working all three, especially when the other weekend nurse calls in whenever it's her Saturday to work :mad:

Soonerjeepman
10/26/2013, 07:37 AM
My ex and I told our boys that after high school, if they plan to live with either of us, they have to either pay rent or be in college.

lol...same here

Soonerjeepman
10/26/2013, 07:43 AM
funny, I was going to KSU to be a forest ranger...until my uncle told me there are 3000 applications for the 1 job that opens up every 5 yrs or so (I wanted Yellowstone)...just didn't think about all the other possibilities.

I tell my own kids and students, find out what you LIKE to do...be outside, work with your hands, be alone, create things, solve things...THEN look at careers. They are an extension of you.

FirstandGoal
10/26/2013, 10:35 AM

You guys are such harsh, cold people
:cool:

Hell, it took all of 3 weeks from the end of the last day of my 19 yo telling me he was going to take a hiatus from college til he was paying rent on his own with a few roommates. He still hasn't returned to college, but he's learning the value of supporting himself. Eventually he will tire of waiting tables while living paycheck to paycheck and go back to school.

SicEmBaylor
10/26/2013, 04:10 PM
With that kind of leverage, why did they insist you not attend OU :D

It would have been me insisting not them. I very well might have gone to OU (if I had never visited Baylor), but they said they absolutely under no circumstances would spend a penny on Oklahoma. I could go anywhere else in the world except OU.

8timechamps
10/28/2013, 08:10 PM
You guys are such harsh, cold people
:cool:

Hell, it took all of 3 weeks from the end of the last day of my 19 yo telling me he was going to take a hiatus from college til he was paying rent on his own with a few roommates. He still hasn't returned to college, but he's learning the value of supporting himself. Eventually he will tire of waiting tables while living paycheck to paycheck and go back to school.

I know you much better than that...you are a member of the same club. :)

8timechamps
10/28/2013, 08:12 PM
It would have been me insisting not them. I very well might have gone to OU (if I had never visited Baylor), but they said they absolutely under no circumstances would spend a penny on Oklahoma. I could go anywhere else in the world except OU.

Why?

If either of my kids came to me and said "I'd like to go to Texas", I'd grit my teeth and say "that's greeeat". I suspect there's more reason than your parents hatred of OU sports.