PDA

View Full Version : New Master Plan for OMS is OK'd by BOR!

tycat947
10/23/2013, 05:58 PM
http://newsok.com/oklahoma-planning-update-to-football-stadium-master-plan-stadium-upgrades-could-be-imminent/article/3896699

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=209290529

8timechamps
10/23/2013, 07:42 PM
http://newsok.com/oklahoma-planning-update-to-football-stadium-master-plan-stadium-upgrades-could-be-imminent/article/3896699

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=209290529

There are areas of the stadium that still need improvements, and I've read that the press box is pretty antiquated.

I'd like to see more seats added, but I'm not sure if that's in the "Master Plan".

fadada1
10/23/2013, 07:50 PM
wait... we're not building Conoco Field?

tycat947
10/24/2013, 12:08 AM
There are areas of the stadium that still need improvements, and I've read that the press box is pretty antiquated.

I'd like to see more seats added, but I'm not sure if that's in the "Master Plan".

I would think there will be added seats as part of the Master Plan but will probably not be the top priority. They have just approved the firm to review and update the Stadium Master Plan.

IMO, these are some things I could see maybe happening:

a) A new press box/added suites structure (similar to Nebraska) would probably be the first project approved and completed just because it would likely generate significant revenues for the athletic department.

b) I think the west concourse needs to be expanded and concessions/restrooms added.

c) Since Headington Hall has now been completed and I'm pretty sure at least 2 of the 3 former athletic dorms will be razed, why not move the Switzer Center across the street? I think they could build a larger facility and also include sports memorabilia/information for all sports, for example an OU athletic department Hall of Fame. Maybe 2 floors could be dedicated to the football program and another floor dedicated to the remaining sports.

d) IF Switzer Center were to be moved, tear down south endzone (south endzone is listed as included on the review/update of the Master Plan) since it supposedly would be unable to be bowled in as it is now due to differences of the angles of the structures. Include in this (and expand) the football program space (locker room/weight room/coaches offices/etc) and/or more suites in a new bowled in south endzone facility.

Of course, all these projects would be costly and have to be done in stages. Just my opinion of things that will probably done with some that I think could be interesting. I think with changes I wish would happen would result in stadium capacity of about 90K with attendance for each game in the 92-93K range which I think would be about perfect. Should keep demand pretty strong and also allow for expansion in seating to OMS.

Also, has anyone heard any status updates on the Master Plan review/update of LNC? I would really be interested in hearing ideas on that as well. I think I read that Joe C mentioned somewhere that renovation of LNC could possibly be close to $100M, based on the suggested Master Plan upgrades. That would be pretty significant changes, if true.

Phil
10/24/2013, 10:13 AM
I definitely see a new press box/suite structure that runs the entire length of the west side of the stadium. I wonder about the effect the parking structure on the west side would have on that, but either they figured that in when they built it, or they will just tear the whole thing down and start over. Frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing the entire west side of the stadium torn down (other than the original stands) and rebuilt from scratch. I've spent too many years looking across at that ugly 70's press box facade. Same for the south end zone - tear it down and rebuild to match the rest of the stadium as a complete bowl.

badger
10/24/2013, 10:18 AM
The south endzone would probably be an easier fix than, say, areas that are actually connected to the rest of the stadium.

I think our capacity is about right, even if it's not 100K like some of the B1G stadiums or SEC stadiums (or Texas, yes).

8timechamps
10/24/2013, 01:48 PM
I think just about everyone can agree that redoing the South endzone would be a good improvement. I hadn't even thought about the facade on the press box until I read Phil's thoughts. That would be a huge improvement, and would make that whole side look better.

As for LNC, I'd love to see it gutted to the bones and rebuilt. I think that would be more cost effective than scraping it and starting over. I've always thought the location was fine (it always felt a little removed to me), and parking is pretty good there. One thing I hope they do first, improve the lighting. Since the first time I attended a game at the LNC (in the 80's) to the last time (2011), the lighting looked the same...dark.

Phil
10/24/2013, 03:41 PM
LNC sucks and needs to be torn down entirely and rebuilt. They could do that and still keep the new practice gyms they built a few years ago. Either that or build a completely new arena south of the current one. Plenty of space over there for that. Second choice for me would be to gut it and rebuild new in the existing shell. That is such an ugly, 70s building, though.

ouflak
10/25/2013, 03:11 AM
I'm a little surprised that WIFI upgrades weren't even mentioned in any of this. Even as a not-now-but-top-of-the-list-next-upgrade kind of thing. I think being the first school to be able offer fast WIFI access to everybody in the stadium on game day would be a nice selling and maybe even a bit of a recruiting tool.

Turd_Ferguson
10/25/2013, 06:18 AM

I walked through the press box this passed spring...it wreaked of 1970.

SicEmBaylor
10/25/2013, 02:31 PM
This is the same firm that designed Baylor Stadium. If you look through portfolio, I think they have some very clean and modern designs. I think they'll do a great job.

picasso
10/25/2013, 02:36 PM
I walked through the press box this passed spring...it wreaked of 1970.

I so wish the team did.

You set that one up!

JLMSOONER
10/25/2013, 04:33 PM
wait... we're not building Conoco Field?

Conoco has not existed since 2002.

CatfishSooner
10/25/2013, 05:35 PM
This press box is FINE...

fadada1
10/25/2013, 05:36 PM
This is the same firm that designed Baylor Stadium. If you look through portfolio, I think they have some very clean and modern designs. I think they'll do a great job.

but that's in waco. clean and modern in waco means they swept out the stable and have indoor plumbing.

;)