PDA

View Full Version : Texas High School Bullying....on the football field

BermudaSooner
10/23/2013, 02:25 PM
This is just too ridiculous. I'm sure the kid of this dad feels like a complete idiot.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/texas-dad-alleges-bullying-91-football-game-20653564

Texas Dad Alleges Bullying in 91-0 Football Game
October 23, 2013 (AP)
By BETSY BLANEY Associated Press

Associated Press
Texas high school coach Tim Buchanan benched his starters after only 21 plays, kept to a conservative ground game and even allowed the clock to run uninterrupted after halftime to hasten the final whistle. Still, his Bearcats won 91-0.

Now the coach is facing formal accusations of bullying.

The impressive victory for undefeated Aledo High School, a football powerhouse in suburban Fort Worth that has put up similar numbers against other schools, has forced an investigation after a parent from the opposing team filed a bullying complaint. The complaint, which must be investigated under state law, says Buchanan should have done more to prevent the lopsided score.

"It wasn't good for anybody," Buchanan said of the Friday win over Western Hills in a Class 4A matchup. "I've sat and gone over and over and over it on what we could have done differently. The score could have very easily been 150 to nothing."

Western Hills coach John Naylor told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram that he disagreed with the bullying allegation, which Buchanan said suggested his coaches "should have made their players ease up and quit playing that hard." Naylor did not immediately return a call from The Associated Press seeking comment Tuesday.

Under state law, Aledo's principal must investigate the complaint and prepare a report. The complaint was filed with the school district, which the law requires to provide bullying complaint forms on its websites.

The University Interscholastic League, the governing body for high school sports in Texas, only has a mercy rule for six-man football that ends a game when one team gets ahead by 45 points by halftime or later. There is no mercy rule for 11-man football, though coaches can agree to end a game early, UIL spokeswoman Kate Hector said.

Buchanan said Tuesday he wasn't aware of that option.

There were about 1,500 fans still in the stands at the end of the game, most of them Aledo's, he said. About 5,000 were at the Bearcats' stadium in Aledo at the beginning because it was a recognition night for band members' parents. A cold front that brought rain added another reason to leave when the game started to get out of hand, Buchanan said.

While blowouts are not uncommon in Texas high school football, Aledo has racked up several of them this season, due in part to being placed in a new district that has not been as strong in football. The Bearcats' average victory margin in four district games is 77 points.

The UIL bases its realignment decisions on enrollment and geographic location to minimize travel time, a move aimed at reducing class absences. When Aledo was placed in a different district before last season, its travel time to the furthest location was cut from two hours to about 35 miles, Buchanan said.

Buchanan's team, which is averaging 69.3 points a game with a 7-0 record, ran just 32 plays but scored on about every third one during Friday's game. Aledo rushed for 391 yards. It scored eight touchdowns on the ground, two each on passes and punt returns, and one on a fumble recovery.

"It certainly didn't seem like they were trying to run up the score in this case," Hector said.

Western Hills had 79 yards rushing and 67 yards passing.

The UIL follows NCAA rules, but most other states follow guidelines of the National Federation of State High School Associations, said Bob Colgate, the federation's director of sports and sports medicine.

8timechamps
10/23/2013, 02:30 PM
Put the in the "Wusification of America" file.

What more could the coach do? It sounds like the other coach needs to be fired for being a terrible coach.

badger
10/23/2013, 02:36 PM
It may have been filed by a parent who only saw the end score, rather than watched the game, similar to when members of the media who didn't watch 77-0 accused Bob of running up the score on Texas A&M.

Lopsided scores in a K-12 football game are far different than college scores. I'd say there needs to be a mercy rule similar to baseball/softball that ends games after a certain point if the score is too one-sided. Halftime's a good place to start the end-of-game rules:

Suggestions:
1- After halftime, there must be a running clock if one team if up by 35 or more points.
2- After halftime, the game will end if one team is up by 50 or more points and the team that is behind by 50 or more points does not possess the ball (or is about to receive a kickoff)

If bullying is a concern, stricter rules should be implemented on taunting, celebrations, etc.

I don't see mercy rules as wusification rules --- if the game is lopsided it's not fun for anyone on either side. Get the game over and done with, move on

8timechamps
10/23/2013, 02:43 PM
It may have been filed by a parent who only saw the end score, rather than watched the game, similar to when members of the media who didn't watch 77-0 accused Bob of running up the score on Texas A&M.

Lopsided scores in a K-12 football game are far different than college scores. I'd say there needs to be a mercy rule similar to baseball/softball that ends games after a certain point if the score is too one-sided. Halftime's a good place to start the end-of-game rules:

Suggestions:
1- After halftime, there must be a running clock if one team if up by 35 or more points.
2- After halftime, the game will end if one team is up by 50 or more points and the team that is behind by 50 or more points does not possess the ball (or is about to receive a kickoff)

If bullying is a concern, stricter rules should be implemented on taunting, celebrations, etc.

I don't see mercy rules as wusification rules --- if the game is lopsided it's not fun for anyone on either side. Get the game over and done with, move on

No, the "wusification" is the parent complaining because his kid's team got blown-out. Instead of complain about it, maybe he/she should talk to their kid's coach and find out how he let it get to that point.

I think most youth football programs do have a mercy rule (they do in Colorado anyway). Basically, if a team is leading by 56 after halftime, the game continues, but the score no longer counts.

What's weird about this story is that in high school, the separation of classes (5a, 4a, etc) usually keep the scores in check (although there are still the occasional blow-outs), but this team seems to be doing this to everyone they play. And since they had a history of that, the coach (that lost) should have game-planned better, and tried to run off as much clock as possible.

picasso
10/23/2013, 02:54 PM
My old high school scored 84 on Caney Valley about 3 years after I graduated.
I thought it was pretty funny.

BermudaSooner
10/23/2013, 02:59 PM
My advice to the losing team---get better.

8timechamps
10/23/2013, 03:52 PM
I will add one more point to badgers comment about blowouts not being fun for anyone. I had the fortune to be on the winning side of a baseball blowout in high school. We were playing Carl Albert, and even though there was a run rule, it didn't take affect until the 3rd inning (I believe). We were up something like 21-0, and I have to say, we had a lot of fun. Carl Albert, not so much.

badger
10/23/2013, 04:03 PM
I get that if you've been Baylor during the beginning of the Big 12 through RG3 years that it might be fun to beat up on the teams that beat up on you for years.

We were up something like 21-0, and I have to say, we had a lot of fun. Carl Albert, not so much.

I don't know the circumstances, but should you have been having fun? Was Carl Albert pregame taunting or did you have to revenge a basketball/football loss earlier in the year?

kbsooner21
10/23/2013, 04:23 PM
I'd like to beat the **** out of the day for being a pu**y

fadada1
10/23/2013, 04:34 PM
i've been on both sides of blowouts.

from the winning side, you can't tell your backups to not try - plain and simple. from the losing side, if our coach or a parent would have ever thought of "throwing in the towel", we would've been more embarrassed about that than the losing.

we don't have kids, but some of our friends that do have kids in sports where no score is kept. according to them, and i completely believe them, the kids know the score.

this is one controversial societal problem that i can't see both side of the coin. there are winners and losers in this life and in everything we do. sometimes it works out for you, sometimes it doesn't. if we can teach youth anything, it should be overcoming adversity - NOT giving in to getting your *** wooped, cowering in the corner, and having your parents say "it will be OK."

if we can learn anything from this incident, obviously football isn't for everyone. nothing wrong with telling your kid that, imo.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/23/2013, 04:42 PM
Put the in the "Wusification of America" file.

What more could the coach do? It sounds like the other coach needs to be fired for being a terrible coach.

eggslactly!

This father must have no penis or he is thoroughly soccerfide or a Leftist...

SoonerInHSV
10/23/2013, 04:54 PM
This is part of the whole Hollywood/Self Esteem culture that says you can be whatever you want to be, just follow your heart. No, if you are a five foot two, eighteen year old girl being an NBA player is not in your future. Do most kids have something they are good at, sure. Is that what they want to be? Maybe not. Part of raising kids is helping them find out who they are and take advantage of it. Sometimes that means saying you suck at football why don't you try out for the band.

8timechamps
10/23/2013, 07:37 PM
I get that if you've been Baylor during the beginning of the Big 12 through RG3 years that it might be fun to beat up on the teams that beat up on you for years.

I don't know the circumstances, but should you have been having fun? Was Carl Albert pregame taunting or did you have to revenge a basketball/football loss earlier in the year?

That's the rub, we weren't very good most years. So, we experienced a lot of losing. I'm sure that had a huge roll in how much we enjoyed winning. We weren't particularly rivals of CA, but just to beat anyone by that much was fun.

8timechamps
10/23/2013, 07:40 PM
i've been on both sides of blowouts.

from the winning side, you can't tell your backups to not try - plain and simple. from the losing side, if our coach or a parent would have ever thought of "throwing in the towel", we would've been more embarrassed about that than the losing.

we don't have kids, but some of our friends that do have kids in sports where no score is kept. according to them, and i completely believe them, the kids know the score.

this is one controversial societal problem that i can't see both side of the coin. there are winners and losers in this life and in everything we do. sometimes it works out for you, sometimes it doesn't. if we can teach youth anything, it should be overcoming adversity - NOT giving in to getting your *** wooped, cowering in the corner, and having your parents say "it will be OK."

if we can learn anything from this incident, obviously football isn't for everyone. nothing wrong with telling your kid that, imo.

No question. Both of my boys have played baseball growing up, and when they were in Tee Ball, the organization didn't keep score for any of the games. But the kids did, and they could tell you exactly how many runs they scored or how many were scored against them.

Kids keep score if they're playing sandlot games, so trying to take that out of the game is a useless exercise.

Ruf/Nek7
10/23/2013, 08:50 PM
Being from the area, I know that Aledo is a powerhouse dynasty. This is where Johnathan Gray came from. On the flip side, Western Hills is historically pathetic so "just getting better" is just not possible. Aledo coach did what was right and WH coach has no problem with how the game was managed so it is not like he is whining. This is just a very upset parent that will be even more upset when this all blows over and UIL completes their mandatory investigation and hands out no punishment.

Therealsouthsider
10/23/2013, 10:13 PM
....sounds like the complainers kid doesn't need to be playing competitive sports....most cities have a parks and recreation department where I'm sure there is some really fun flag-football going on

ss

Soonerjeepman
10/23/2013, 10:23 PM
One in Florida as well...same score.

#1 they had a running clock the 2nd half
#2 no starters played after 2 series (I believe) 3rd stringers played the entire 2nd half
#3 only ran 31 plays

winning coach felt sick to his stomach. He had actual calls from HIS parents complaining their kids didn't play enough (starters)
I don't believe they ran punts back, or returned fumbles like the texas team did..

http://espn.go.com/high-school/football/story/_/id/3641717/fallout-91-0-final-score-affects-two-florida-high-school-teams/

Soonerjeepman
10/23/2013, 10:28 PM
for the record, I've been on both sides...not much on the winning, but have been there. No biggie, play the game.

I did notice the Texas coach left his starters in 21 of the 32 plays...where as the Florida guy pulled his sooner. With and avg victory of 77 points I think he probably could have pulled them a little sooner...but not my gig.

okiedokie
10/23/2013, 11:12 PM
This is part of the whole Hollywood/Self Esteem culture that says you can be whatever you want to be, just follow your heart. No, if you are a five foot two, eighteen year old girl being an NBA player is not in your future. Do most kids have something they are good at, sure. Is that what they want to be? Maybe not. Part of raising kids is helping them find out who they are and take advantage of it. Sometimes that means saying you suck at football why don't you try out for the band.

I get your point but don't tell Spud Webb about being to
short for basketball

Therealsouthsider
10/23/2013, 11:27 PM
for the record, I've been on both sides...not much on the winning, but have been there. No biggie, play the game.

I did notice the Texas coach left his starters in 21 of the 32 plays...where as the Florida guy pulled his sooner. With and avg victory of 77 points I think he probably could have pulled them a little sooner...but not my gig.

....disagree...sorry. His responsibility is to his team, their development and their season

ss

BermudaSooner
10/24/2013, 07:10 AM

How could they have only run 32 plays? I took that as only 21 plays, which really isn't very many.

The winning team will eventually have to play somebody good, and they need to be prepared for it. If he did play his starters 2/3rds of the game, I have no problem. It was a practice, essentially. At some point they will be in the playoffs and have some competition.

jkjsooner
10/24/2013, 08:32 AM
Let's put this in a little perspective. Texas has a population of 26 million. This is one parent. I society may or may not becoming "wussified" but there have always and will always be idiots out there.

I think the real issue is that a person can make such a bogus claim (true bullying can be a very serious matter) without any consequences. If they're going to make the school formally respond to these accusations then there needs to be some law to prevent bogus accusations.

I do wonder if there isn't a little more to this story like racial slurs and taunting from the winning team. Even if so, it's a football field so those things don't exactly have the same impact as the playground...

cleller
10/24/2013, 08:37 AM
One in Florida as well...same score.

#1 they had a running clock the 2nd half
#2 no starters played after 2 series (I believe) 3rd stringers played the entire 2nd half
#3 only ran 31 plays

winning coach felt sick to his stomach. He had actual calls from HIS parents complaining their kids didn't play enough (starters)
I don't believe they ran punts back, or returned fumbles like the texas team did..

http://espn.go.com/high-school/football/story/_/id/3641717/fallout-91-0-final-score-affects-two-florida-high-school-teams/

I heard this one on the radio, and was confused about this Texas deal. How on earth could two 91-0 blowouts come down, and both with goofball parents claiming bullying? Its equally hard to believe that the school districts are so cowed they feel they have to abide regulations and act on issues like this.

This country really is turning out some of ninnies these days. Good grief, better stop before the thread gets moved.

8timechamps
10/24/2013, 02:05 PM
Let's put this in a little perspective. Texas has a population of 26 million. This is one parent. I society may or may not becoming "wussified" but there have always and will always be idiots out there.

I think the real issue is that a person can make such a bogus claim (true bullying can be a very serious matter) without any consequences. If they're going to make the school formally respond to these accusations then there needs to be some law to prevent bogus accusations.

I do wonder if there isn't a little more to this story like racial slurs and taunting from the winning team. Even if so, it's a football field so those things don't exactly have the same impact as the playground...

I played football and baseball from the time I was about 7 until I was in college. In all the years I played, I never heard a parent upset that we lost big (and we did on occasion), or won big (which was much more rare). Fast forward about 15 years, and my kids grow up playing baseball, football and basketball. On more than one occasion, I've heard a parent (or parents) whine about getting beat (by more than they thought was appropriate).

Maybe it was because I was a kid, and didn't really pay attention, and as an adult and parent, I did...but, it certainly seems like parents are more whiny now. Maybe it's always been that way, but it could point to a wussified society.

I completely agree with you, if a parent (or anyone) is going to lodge a complaint like that, there should be a penalty if no wrongdoing is found. Maybe a fee is charged, and if the accusations are found true, the fee is returned. I don't know, but something should be put in place.

Jacie
10/24/2013, 05:20 PM
I heard nothing in this story about taunting, insults, or excessive celebrations, just a complaint about the final score.

THAT is wussification.