PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Projections

Ruf/Nek7
10/22/2013, 09:14 AM
I know that it is early and a lot could happen between now and then, but looking at the Bowl Projections on ESPiN and we are currently projected to either play UCLA in the Alamo Bowl, or Meatchicken in Buffalo Wild Wings bowl.

So I ask this question, if that were to hold true, which I hope does not, which of the two games would be more desirable?

I know I would personally like to see us in the Alamo of the two since that is a short distance and I could make that but i really would rather play Michigan. They are the only other team that rivals OU's success since WWII and one of my fellow coaching buddies is a die hard wolverine so i would love to see the matchup. I would have to say Meatchicken in Tempe (if we missed on BCS).

jkjsooner
10/22/2013, 10:09 AM
I'd rather play Michigan.

I don't want OU in the Cotton because we're not good enough to handle the SEC's #2 or #3. I think something needs to be reworked. Until our conference gets bigger and/or stronger we don't need to be matching up the #2 SEC vs #2 Big 12.

Even if the SEC wasn't stronger than the Big 12 (and of course they are), they have 40% more teams now which should favor their #2 vs our #2 in most years.

BermudaSooner
10/22/2013, 10:44 AM
I'd rather play Michigan.

I don't want OU in the Cotton because we're not good enough to handle the SEC's #2 or #3. I think something needs to be reworked. Until our conference gets bigger and/or stronger we don't need to be matching up the #2 SEC vs #2 Big 12.

Even if the SEC wasn't stronger than the Big 12 (and of course they are), they have 40% more teams now which should favor their #2 vs our #2 in most years.

I completely disagree with this. We should try and get the biggest matchups as possible. I much prefer #2 Big XII vs #2 SEC to #2 Big XII vs #4 SEC, for example.

or #3 Big XII vs #2 Big 10 is better than #3 Big XII vs #4 Big 10.

Get the best team we can, don't dodge them so we can claim better bowl records claiming our #2 team beat the #6 ACC team.

Salt City Sooner
10/22/2013, 01:59 PM
I know that it is early and a lot could happen between now and then, but looking at the Bowl Projections on ESPiN and we are currently projected to either play UCLA in the Alamo Bowl, or Meatchicken in Buffalo Wild Wings bowl.

So I ask this question, if that were to hold true, which I hope does not, which of the two games would be more desirable?

I know I would personally like to see us in the Alamo of the two since that is a short distance and I could make that but i really would rather play Michigan. They are the only other team that rivals OU's success since WWII and one of my fellow coaching buddies is a die hard wolverine so i would love to see the matchup. I would have to say Meatchicken in Tempe (if we missed on BCS).
I'd like to see Michigan as well, just for the fact that we've only met once.

BTW, I don't know if it's your friend who's told you that re; the bolded, but the vast majority of UM's heyday was before WWII. They went back to back in '47 (they didn't win the AP this year & the coaches' poll didn't exist yet, but there were enough selectors who chose them that I'll give them this anyway) & '48, but since then, the split w/ Nebraska in '97 is their only other one.

badger
10/22/2013, 02:24 PM
I wish that one loss didn't mean the "end of a season," so to speak. Perhaps someday we can have a setup where instead of having 120+ top tier teams, we can have maybe 30 or 60, split into 4-6 divisions and have a playoff among the best of us, rather than relying on human and computer polls to determine which team had the most style points, media hype, quality wins/losses, etc.

SCSoonerfan
10/22/2013, 02:30 PM
If it came down to those 2, I want us to play in the BWW bowl because they are close to me and they run awesome specials on their bowl game day.

jkjsooner
10/22/2013, 02:32 PM
I completely disagree with this. We should try and get the biggest matchups as possible. I much prefer #2 Big XII vs #2 SEC to #2 Big XII vs #4 SEC, for example.

or #3 Big XII vs #2 Big 10 is better than #3 Big XII vs #4 Big 10.

Get the best team we can, don't dodge them so we can claim better bowl records claiming our #2 team beat the #6 ACC team.

That's fine but if our bowl record suffers rather than saying Stoops can't win big games realize that we're probably put into positions where we're outmatched. Frankly, the WVU and BSU games aside that's been much of our bowl problems as we've earned our way into national title games and those aren't easy to win. I'd rather win 25% of national title games than 75% of minor bowl games.

I don't really have a problem with matching #1 Big 12 vs #1 SEC. However, as you move down the list, especially with the mismatch in conference size, it becomes more and more difficult. For example what would happen if the #10 Big 12 team played the #10 SEC team? It wouldn't be pretty because you're talking about a team that finished dead last to a team that finished slightly lower than middle.

badger
10/22/2013, 03:06 PM
You see, after Stoops said that SEC vs Big 12 thing... not the most recent thing but the last year top-to-bottom thing, most sportsies saw an opportunity to write another blog-column to thumb their noses about.

But, the flaw was in starting with the top. What they SHOULD HAVE done is start at the bottom. You're going to have four spare SECs regardless, so why not make the top four the spares?

Big 12 10 vs SEC 14: Who sucks more, Iowa State or Arkansas? Well, one has 1 creampuff win and the other has three.
Adv: SEC
Big 12 9 vs SEC 13: Kentucky versus Kansas State. Kentucky sucks, it really really sucks.
Adv: Big 12
Big 12 8 vs SEC 12: Miss State or Kansas. I can't believe Kansas is actually 8th and not 10th right now.
Big 12 7 vs SEC 11: WV vs Vandy. One team upset a ranked opponent outright without relying on injuries. The other "upset" was really a very overrated team that had injured.
Big 12 6 vs SEC 10: Tennessee or TCU. Well... after last weekend, it's hard to deny that one program is on the rise and the other can't wait for offseason.
Big 12 5 vs SEC 9: Ole Miss or Pokes. Well, OSU did beat Miss State earlier this year...
Big 12 4 vs SEC 8: OU vs Georgia. So it's come to this, eh? I don't think even the most loyal SECers or UGAs would deny that OU would beat downtrodden, downward spiraling Georgia at this point.
Big 12 3 vs SEC 7: Texas vs Florida. Yes, UT is 3-0 and that high in the Big 12 right now, whereas Florida has several losses. This is really a toss-up, I cannot decide. They both underachieve and suck so much right now.
Adv: Push
Big 12 2 vs SEC 6: Baylor (since it only is 6-0 right now) beats Texas A&M, because Aggies lack defense and Baylor does not lack offense by any stretch of the imagination. TexAgs.com melts down.
Big 12 1 vs SEC 5: Tech (7-0), an incredibly overrated bunch that will lose this Saturday, versus South Carolina, an incredibly overrated bunch that lost last Saturday. I don't know.
Adv: Push

End: Big 12 slight edge, 5-3 (and two ties)

8timechamps
10/22/2013, 05:20 PM
If that were to hold true, I'd like to see us play UCLA. I think we would beat them, and any extra exposure on the west coast is great for recruiting.

IF badgers scenario holds up, and we meet UGA in a bowl game, I'd be worried. They'd be healthier, and I'm not sure we could stop their running game.

badger
10/23/2013, 01:52 PM
I was comparing teams, not projecting bowl lineups, as cool as it would be to see all 10 of our teams go to one (and then face nothing but SEC doormats).

I think Iowa State is near win-out-or-no-bowl stage now, and they have yet to face us.

BermudaSooner
10/23/2013, 02:12 PM
Nice write-up badger

8timechamps
10/23/2013, 02:20 PM
I was comparing teams, not projecting bowl lineups, as cool as it would be to see all 10 of our teams go to one (and then face nothing but SEC doormats).

I think Iowa State is near win-out-or-no-bowl stage now, and they have yet to face us.

See, I didn't pay full attention. Nice work though.