PDA

View Full Version : Bell's development/Passing game

8timechamps
10/21/2013, 06:49 PM
Last night, I went back and watched parts of every game Bell has played in this year. Here's my take on the passing game and Bell.

First, the bad:

1. His receivers have not helped him much. Through 5 games, I saw a lot of drops (these were passes that hit the receiver in the hands, and were absolutely catchable). I haven't kept track of that statistic over the years, but it certainly seems high.

2. Receivers again - on quite a few occasions (especially early, in the first few games), receivers were not getting open. Bell had no option to throw to, and either ran the ball, or kept it and got sacked. Some times, the receivers looked like they were running at half speed (again, these were in the early games), and doing very little to get open.

3. Indecision - This is the biggest issue that's plagued Bell so far. It appears that if he can read the coverage at the line, and knows exactly who he's going to, it's almost guaranteed he completes the pass. The flip side is if the defense is doing a good job at disguising coverage, he hesitates. For Blake, hesitation is his worst enemy. Once he hesitates, it seems he panics and bails out of the packet too soon, abandoning his reads altogether.

Now, the good:

1. Bell has an arm. There is no question he can make every throw he needs to make. At times, he's thrown a frozen rope and put the ball in a place only his receiver could get it. He has the ability to throw the ball well.

2. It appears he's getting better at reading coverage pre-snap. Looking back at the KU game (second half), on a couple of occasions, he passed up an open receiver to go deeper down field. The flip side is he appears to be doing better at taking what he's given, and hitting an underneath route if nothing is open deeper.

3. He can run - After watching various running plays, it obvious that he's much better on an interior draw or straight QB run inside. He's not Trevor Knight, and lacks the quickness to get to the edge, but if he's running inside, he's got a knack for finding space and finishing his run.

I'm not a QB guru, but based on what I've seen, the passing game is very close to being efficient. The line is doing a better job at picking up stunts, twists and blitzes. Receivers are seeminly doing a better job of getting open and fighting for position (although there are still too many drops). And all of the things I mentioned in "the bad" section are correctable and/or part of a QB's development.

Soonerwake
10/21/2013, 07:30 PM
I keep going back to the fact that there is a reason Knight was named the starter over Bell, a freshman over a junior. The coaches saw something that they liked better in Knight and something they saw that was a problem in Bell during two-a-days.. I know they were enamored with Knights speed, but what was it about Bell that gave them pause. I wonder if we would have seen Thompson had he not gotten hurt..

One thing that keeps troubling me is that Bell has absolutely no touch on his throws. If its a bullet over the middle, he's got it. But if he has to drop it in, put it between coverages, whatever, he struggles mightily..

cburgsooner
10/21/2013, 07:32 PM
Our opinion of Bell differs a little i guess, when he throws it on a rope he is pretty good, But He has No kind of touch on the ball.
Look at the three balls he threw in the in zone on that one drive Saturday they wasn't close. Even when got got the PI call that deep ball wasn't catchable.He holds the ball to long in the pocket, And i said it last year he is a one trick pony when running the ball, QB iso and draws and cant elude a dozer. I know you are trying to make everyone feel better on our QB ,but that my take.

cvsooner
10/21/2013, 07:38 PM
The soft pass to Clay in the end zone against Texas was beautiful...and one of the drops 8time is talking about.

Bell is no east-west runner, that's for sure. He actually is deceptively fast but he's a straight ahead guy, no question.

Indecision is a good name for what he's doing. It's almost like he's been told to wait and see if it develops and then the pocket reaches critical mass. He's got to do a first read, second read, third...and then take off, unless it's really obvious passing down. If he could just shift the pocket a bit and buy a little more time, either by stepping up or moving just a bit--but he's also shown he doesn't throw on the run all that well. A couple of his interceptions are passes thrown on the move. If he could play like Roethlisberger in his prime, he'd be just right.

cvsooner
10/21/2013, 07:39 PM
The QB who played in the Tulsa and Notre Dame games was excellent. That guy has been rattled by a couple of so-so to downright bad performances. He redeemed himself quite a bit at Kansas--now he just has to build on it.

ashley
10/21/2013, 07:47 PM
Last night, I went back and watched parts of every game Bell has played in this year. Here's my take on the passing game and Bell.

First, the bad:

1. His receivers have not helped him much. Through 5 games, I saw a lot of drops (these were passes that hit the receiver in the hands, and were absolutely catchable). I haven't kept track of that statistic over the years, but it certainly seems high.

2. Receivers again - on quite a few occasions (especially early, in the first few games), receivers were not getting open. Bell had no option to throw to, and either ran the ball, or kept it and got sacked. Some times, the receivers looked like they were running at half speed (again, these were in the early games), and doing very little to get open.

3. Indecision - This is the biggest issue that's plagued Bell so far. It appears that if he can read the coverage at the line, and knows exactly who he's going to, it's almost guaranteed he completes the pass. The flip side is if the defense is doing a good job at disguising coverage, he hesitates. For Blake, hesitation is his worst enemy. Once he hesitates, it seems he panics and bails out of the packet too soon, abandoning his reads altogether.

Now, the good:

1. Bell has an arm. There is no question he can make every throw he needs to make. At times, he's thrown a frozen rope and put the ball in a place only his receiver could get it. He has the ability to throw the ball well.

2. It appears he's getting better at reading coverage pre-snap. Looking back at the KU game (second half), on a couple of occasions, he passed up an open receiver to go deeper down field. The flip side is he appears to be doing better at taking what he's given, and hitting an underneath route if nothing is open deeper.

3. He can run - After watching various running plays, it obvious that he's much better on an interior draw or straight QB run inside. He's not Trevor Knight, and lacks the quickness to get to the edge, but if he's running inside, he's got a knack for finding space and finishing his run.

I'm not a QB guru, but based on what I've seen, the passing game is very close to being efficient. The line is doing a better job at picking up stunts, twists and blitzes. Receivers are seeminly doing a better job of getting open and fighting for position (although there are still too many drops). And all of the things I mentioned in "the bad" section are correctable and/or part of a QB's development.

He is an awful passer and has no touch plus very inconsistent. He has proven too slow on most runs and has no ability to escape in the pocket. There is a reason he was not chosen after spring practice and two a days. If the opponent is bad he is OK but against a good cover team or with pressure he doesn't look good at all.

Breadburner
10/21/2013, 07:57 PM
He's started 4 games for Christ sake.....!!!

ashley
10/21/2013, 08:06 PM

He is still not gonna get faster.

sooneron
10/21/2013, 08:10 PM
I have to agree with the others on the "touch" aspect of his passing game. That was the only touch pass that I have seen him throw that had a chance of being caught. He hurries his throws too often and doesn't put it out there for the receiver to run under it enough. From the last game, he does seem to have the zip for short/intermediate throws. Not sold on his long ball too much, either.

One of his ints in the texass game seemed to be the fault of Saunders (I think)- it was to BB's left and Saunders left the ground to go for it, but restrained his reach because he thought it was intended for someone else. I'm not sure if was catchable, let alone, reachable...

Breadburner
10/21/2013, 08:31 PM

Who gives a ****....!!

Soonerus
10/21/2013, 08:38 PM
I am not sure he has much upside...

EatLeadCommie
10/21/2013, 08:59 PM
WRs aren't getting open. Our two best WRs are small guys getting blown up at the LOS. As inconsistent as he was, we really miss a guy like Kenny Stills, who had some strength and size. Reynolds isn't gonna cut it.

But yeah, BB has been inconsistent, and the WRs and playcalling are making him regress in the confidence game, IMO.

We have 4 RBs, 3 of whom are going to be playing on Sundays (maybe 4, depending on Clay) and a FB who will be playing on Sundays, yet we keep doing RB by committee crap and trying pass plays that are dink and dunk. We need more 3 back sets. Finch, Millard, and Williams (with Clay and Ford subbing in). I know we haven't run much of that since the Gibbs days, but we have to play to our strengths, and the passing game is not a strength right now, whether you want to blame the WRs, BB, Heupel, or all of the above.

arcman46
10/21/2013, 11:02 PM
If Bell could throw only the 5-10 yard swing pass against a defense as bad as Tulsa's, he might set records. Problem is that he can't make all the throws. He can't find the open receivers, and there have been plenty of times that they have been open. Grade wise, I would consider the Tulsa game an A+. Notre Dame was a B-. A C to a C+ against TCU and Kansas, and a D against Texas.

I don't want to bash Bell, because he plays for us. I didn't like it when everyone was bashing Landry. I would really like to see him succeed, but I'm afraid with the performances that he has brought to the table so far, it's going to be hard for us to win against Tech, Baylor, or Oklahoma State.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/22/2013, 11:02 AM
I have to disagree on the receivers not getting open bit.. His tendency to hold the ball too long is allowing db's to close the space...So by the time he is making a decision to throw, the window is a lot smaller..But many times, they are still open. I think he is scared of his own accuracy issues not to mention the dropping his eyes bit.

FlatLander
10/22/2013, 11:26 AM
We have 4 RBs, 3 of whom are going to be playing on Sundays (maybe 4, depending on Clay) and a FB who will be playing on Sundays, yet we keep doing RB by committee crap and trying pass plays that are dink and dunk. We need more 3 back sets. Finch, Millard, and Williams (with Clay and Ford subbing in). I know we haven't run much of that since the Gibbs days, but we have to play to our strengths, and the passing game is not a strength right now, whether you want to blame the WRs, BB, Heupel, or all of the above.

I think it would be a wise move to do this also. We have some dang good RB's and FB's. With a 265lb QB, I think we should be taking the game to the defense. Smash 'em and keep pounding 'em an occasionally mix it up with a pass at a good time to not kill the drive. Run the ball on first and second down, and third down if it is less than four yards to go. I don't think we can rely on the pass to sustain drives with the current offense.

cherokeebrewer
10/22/2013, 11:33 AM
One thing he needs to improve on for sure is when to throw it away and live to play another play. When the pocket breaks down and he bails out, bad things seem to happen. I believe he'll get better.

cvsooner
10/22/2013, 11:38 AM
He also needs to work on throwing it away properly. Rewatched a bit of Kansas last night, on his interception. Looks like he's trying to throw it away and just doesn't get it out of bounds.

PalmBeachSooner
10/22/2013, 02:02 PM
The soft pass to Clay in the end zone against Texas was beautiful...and one of the drops 8time is talking about.

If you go back and look at that pass to Clay, had he caught it, he would have been ruled out of bounds.

cvsooner
10/22/2013, 02:18 PM
If you go back and look at that pass to Clay, had he caught it, he would have been ruled out of bounds.
Don't think so.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/22/2013, 02:43 PM
Collin Klein went from completing 57% of his passes his junior year to 64% his senior year. Blake Bell is already completing 64% of his passes, so if Klein can make that kind of improvement in terms of accuracy, there is no reason why not that Bell can get more accurate on the deep ball and generally, making better decisions. Just because Bell is a junior, doesn't mean he's reached his ceiling.

I think some people forget that he was a raw QB prospect coming out of high school as it was and regardless of him being at Oklahoma for 3+ years, there is still plenty to learn especially as being the starter now and just having 5 starts under his belt.

FlatLander
10/22/2013, 03:22 PM
Collin Klein went from completing 57% of his passes his junior year to 64% his senior year. Blake Bell is already completing 64% of his passes, so if Klein can make that kind of improvement in terms of accuracy, there is no reason why not that Bell can get more accurate on the deep ball and generally, making better decisions. Just because Bell is a junior, doesn't mean he's reached his ceiling.

I think some people forget that he was a raw QB prospect coming out of high school as it was and regardless of him being at Oklahoma for 3+ years, there is still plenty to learn especially as being the starter now and just having 5 starts under his belt.

According to Thomas Lott on the radio, he feels Bell has really been playing fullback the two previous years.

SoonerShay
10/22/2013, 03:25 PM
http://i.imgur.com/pYEeTII.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/JZfrOJl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/6ogNuG4.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/XQUhYuE.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/8KD3IUv.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/6Hq6xnn.jpg

These 6 screens show you the problem with Bell, look at the progression of the play from pic to pic. This was the 4th down and 2 call that Bell threw an interception. For Bell to bail out on this play and throw an interception is simply inexcusable.

Not only does he have a WIDE OPEN receiver running downfield, his check down in Millard is open enough to get the 2 yards needed. Instead Bell holds the ball too long, runs and throws the interception.

When you see Bell making plays like this, where you can see in the screen a WIDE OPEN receiver. You have to start asking yourself, how many other times are receivers open and Bell just doesn't see it?

Watch the video of it here http://youtu.be/1x3WV78WMX8?t=1h36m31s it is already timed up on the exact play.

Soonerwake
10/22/2013, 03:35 PM
That's the play that Stoops referred to in his press conference. Bell has to be able to see that guy come open on a play designed that way or we are in big trouble. That play was designed and called perfectly, but the execution from our QB was terrible. Hopefully, they are working this stuff in practice and getting it corrected.

8timechamps
10/22/2013, 04:28 PM
Our opinion of Bell differs a little i guess, when he throws it on a rope he is pretty good, But He has No kind of touch on the ball.
Look at the three balls he threw in the in zone on that one drive Saturday they wasn't close. Even when got got the PI call that deep ball wasn't catchable.He holds the ball to long in the pocket, And i said it last year he is a one trick pony when running the ball, QB iso and draws and cant elude a dozer. I know you are trying to make everyone feel better on our QB ,but that my take.

I'm not trying to make anyone feel better. I'm posting my opinion based on the review I did.

He does have touch on the ball, but right now it's not consistent enough. Almost every flare or WR flat screen is a touch pass, and he's gotten better at those throws. He still needs work in this area, no question, but he has all the skills needed to make all of the throws needed.

If you go back and look at the three plays (from the KU game) you referenced, two of the three were fine. The first fade to Neal was uncatchable altogether, but the other two were where they needed to be. As for the PI call, how can you say it wasn't catchable, (the receiver didn't have a fair change to make the play)?

8timechamps
10/22/2013, 04:29 PM
He is an awful passer and has no touch plus very inconsistent. He has proven too slow on most runs and has no ability to escape in the pocket. There is a reason he was not chosen after spring practice and two a days. If the opponent is bad he is OK but against a good cover team or with pressure he doesn't look good at all.

Wow, you know more about the guy than Bob and the entire staff. I'd definitely take your word over Stoops' on this issue!

8timechamps
10/22/2013, 04:32 PM
I have to disagree on the receivers not getting open bit.. His tendency to hold the ball too long is allowing db's to close the space...So by the time he is making a decision to throw, the window is a lot smaller..But many times, they are still open. I think he is scared of his own accuracy issues not to mention the dropping his eyes bit.

STEP, go back and watch the TCU and Texas game. I think you'll be surprised by how our receivers struggled to get space. I'm not putting his entire performance on the receivers, but there was a lack of separation many times.

This hadn't even crossed my mind until I went back and reviewed those games.

8timechamps
10/22/2013, 04:36 PM
http://youtu.be/1x3WV78WMX8?t=1h36m31s[/URL] it is already timed up on the exact play.

This play is a perfect example of Blake's indecision. Ironically, I think he plays too cautious at times, and it ends up hurting him (as with this play).

I don't agree with Millard being a viable option on this play, he's bracketed and even if he does catch the ball, it's a no gain at best. However, Shepard is open on a hook, but only for a second.

8timechamps
10/22/2013, 04:38 PM
I think the bottom line with Blake right now (and probably the reason he wasn't the starter at the start of the year), is he plays too cautiously. He'd rather hold the ball than make a dangerous throw, and sometimes that puts him in a position that he tries to string out the play, and ends up making a bad throw anyway.

I'm telling you, he's close, the passing game is close...the entire offense just needs to get over the hump.

cvsooner
10/22/2013, 04:54 PM
Yeah, when the passing game clicks, it works well. It's just so danged inconsistent. And I agree Millard isn't really a viable option--Shepard is the go-to guy but the window of opportunity is only there for a sec. By the time Bell realizes it the pocket has collapsed and he takes off running to his right and then tries to force the ball over to the sideline and doesn't throw it away.

Admittedly this was 4th and 2 (and why are we passing) at, what, the opponents' 30? So turning the ball over on downs or an interception isn't the end of the world late in a game in which we have the lead, but against other, better teams, look out boys. He has got to make the decision faster. Read one, read two, run.

8timechamps
10/22/2013, 05:03 PM
Yeah, when the passing game clicks, it works well. It's just so danged inconsistent. And I agree Millard isn't really a viable option--Shepard is the go-to guy but the window of opportunity is only there for a sec. By the time Bell realizes it the pocket has collapsed and he takes off running to his right and then tries to force the ball over to the sideline and doesn't throw it away.

Admittedly this was 4th and 2 (and why are we passing) at, what, the opponents' 30? So turning the ball over on downs or an interception isn't the end of the world late in a game in which we have the lead, but against other, better teams, look out boys. He has got to make the decision faster. Read one, read two, run.

Yeah, that was an odd decision, although I wasn't too critical of it at the time. I just went back and re-watched that play again, and that is the play that Stoops referenced in his press conference (about not seeing Ripkowski running open). I'm not sure the pocket would have broken down had Blake stayed in place, but to his credit, he did try to make something happen. I think he got caught looked at the defensive line, and by the time be brought his eyes back up to go through his reads, he panicked a bit.

I imagine if that situation comes up again, we either run the ball or use our future NFL kicker.

engineer24
10/22/2013, 05:18 PM
That's the play that Stoops referred to in his press conference. Bell has to be able to see that guy come open on a play designed that way or we are in big trouble. That play was designed and called perfectly, but the execution from our QB was terrible. Hopefully, they are working this stuff in practice and getting it corrected.

agree 100 percent. QBs at a program like OU should be good enough to see that play develop. Its not like Bell had instant pressure right in his face. He had plenty of time to see the opening.

QBs with a lot less experience at lot lesser programs than OU could have made that play.

engineer24
10/22/2013, 05:23 PM
I think the bottom line with Blake right now (and probably the reason he wasn't the starter at the start of the year), is he plays too cautiously. He'd rather hold the ball than make a dangerous throw, and sometimes that puts him in a position that he tries to string out the play, and ends up making a bad throw anyway.

I'm telling you, he's close, the passing game is close...the entire offense just needs to get over the hump.

I agree. Knight is too dangerous with his throws in critical situations, as he proved in the WVU game. Stoops saw that and decided to go with the much more conservative Bell.

Bell is a fine QB for a team that can stop the run. For a team with dominant defense, I'd rather have a QB that doesnt give turnovers rather than take too many risky chances. But it turns out we dont have a very good run defense, especially with all the injuries.

I still think OU's best chance of offensive success comes with mixing in both QBs. Let Knight run the zone read, let Bell run the designed QB power runs. Let them each play to their strengths.

8timechamps
10/22/2013, 05:24 PM
I agree. Knight is too dangerous with his throws in critical situations, as he proved in the WVU game. Stoops saw that and decided to go with the much more conservative Bell.

Bell is a fine QB for a team that can stop the run. For a team with dominant defense, I'd rather have a QB that doesnt give turnovers rather than take too many risky chances. But it turns out we dont have a very good run defense, especially with all the injuries.

I still think OU's best chance of offensive success comes with mixing in both QBs. Let Knight run the zone read, let Bell run the designed QB power runs. Let them each play to their strengths.

Agreed.

cvsooner
10/22/2013, 05:41 PM
He doesn't see Ripkowski because Shepard and the two DBs are in the way and he'd have to loft it a bit to get it there. No bullet pass, I think...plus as JKM as noted, he tends to drop his eyes to the rush first. I dunno. It's easy to sit here now and see it all. It's another thing to do it on the field. But I guess that comes with the position.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/22/2013, 05:50 PM
Disclosure - I don't think Bell is that good of a QB

Bell has an odd quirk that I don't think we've ever had at OU. He decides HOW to throw the pass based on the primary (lob, soft, hard) and then throws to secondary routes with that style. In the screencapped play he could have rifled it to 3 different guys and gotten the first down. But his primary to the running back was going to be a touch pass so he doesn't feel like he can make the window of any of the other throws. However, when his primary read is a rifle shot he rips it into tons of windows. I just think we have to pull out the Paul Thompson playbook and go with tons of crosses and tell him to just rifle the ball in there. I'm just not sure that Heupel can cerebrally get his head around it since he is trying to use the passing game to spread out the D with throws on the sidelines.

Knight on the other hand suffered from airmail syndrome. His decisions were superior to Bell, but his personal execution was woeful. However, if anyone watched the Vikes/Giants game last night, Freeman was airmailing his receivers early as well. In other words, his problem was more not being comfortable/ready than talent/ability.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/22/2013, 05:54 PM
STEP, go back and watch the TCU and Texas game. I think you'll be surprised by how our receivers struggled to get space. I'm not putting his entire performance on the receivers, but there was a lack of separation many times.

This hadn't even crossed my mind until I went back and reviewed those games.

Oh I've had to watch every game several times for evaluation purposes..And I see what you are saying..But OU hasn't had a WR good at getting separation since Malcolm Kelly..And he wasn't great at it.

Anyway, the guys are there most of the time...it's his holding the ball for too long that led to the pick 6 against texas, and some of those "coverage" sacks that have began to happen all of a sudden with him at QB. He throws the screen well but anything that doesn't provide a "high school" window is scaring him..not just fear, but the fact that he drops his eyes on anything not a quick read..That in itself will cause you to miss open receivers..Not to mention his fading to the back of the pocket, sometimes 10 yards with no presure..On one play, without pressure, it was a 15 yard pass back to the line of scrimmage..

As far as comparison between Klein and Bell, what each quarterback is required to do in the 2 different styles is completely different..OU's offense is way more quarterback dependant than KState..Not to mention the differences in abilities as far as running style. As far as the development of each player, according to a certain NFL QB coach, we are **** poor at it right now and the QB better have some natural raw abilities.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/22/2013, 06:01 PM
IMO, I feel like the coaches made the right decision with Knight the first go around..Knight gets hurt(which I have also went back to watch before and after injury) Bell comes in and lights up Tulsa, and played good enough vs ND..I just feel like we are wasting valuable time in getting one of the young guys playing time and moving this offense into the right direction..

ashley
10/22/2013, 07:13 PM
Wow, you know more about the guy than Bob and the entire staff. I'd definitely take your word over Stoops' on this issue!

Trust me, they know. Watch him run the zone reed keep against a decent team. Watch him when he gets a rush and passes over 15 yards. Good kid but wow.

cvsooner
10/22/2013, 07:22 PM
Yeah, but you gotta feed the beast, and there's so much pressure to 'win now'. Plus, OU fans are ridiculously intolerant and feel like there's been a four-year rebuilding process going on (which isn't accurate...more of a two-year 'marking time' season followed by what is now a 'rebuilding year,' and there's probably a couple more to come!) so why aren't we seeing results on the field?

Plus I'm sure it's got to be tough to ask a kid to go through all this and not give him the nod. Though that hasn't stopped them before.

cburgsooner
10/22/2013, 07:39 PM
8Times in my mind if them three throws were catchable they would had hit the receivers hands , arms or something heck i'll take the helmet.
on the receiver srceens and out in the flat he is not putting no air under the ball so i don't consider that a touch pass. And i said that if he threw it on a line he is not bad. some wgere in the Kanas game a stat box showed he was throwing like 76% at 5 and ten yards and like 30.7%
15 yards and over.that to me says no touch on the ball. but thats my opinion and there like butt holes everyone got one. but that don't make mine right

Blue
10/22/2013, 07:55 PM
IMO, I feel like the coaches made the right decision with Knight the first go around..Knight gets hurt(which I have also went back to watch before and after injury) Bell comes in and lights up Tulsa, and played good enough vs ND..I just feel like we are wasting valuable time in getting one of the young guys playing time and moving this offense into the right direction..

Yes. Time to think about next year.

8timechamps
10/22/2013, 08:01 PM
Disclosure - I don't think Bell is that good of a QB

Bell has an odd quirk that I don't think we've ever had at OU. He decides HOW to throw the pass based on the primary (lob, soft, hard) and then throws to secondary routes with that style. In the screencapped play he could have rifled it to 3 different guys and gotten the first down. But his primary to the running back was going to be a touch pass so he doesn't feel like he can make the window of any of the other throws. However, when his primary read is a rifle shot he rips it into tons of windows. I just think we have to pull out the Paul Thompson playbook and go with tons of crosses and tell him to just rifle the ball in there. I'm just not sure that Heupel can cerebrally get his head around it since he is trying to use the passing game to spread out the D with throws on the sidelines.

Knight on the other hand suffered from airmail syndrome. His decisions were superior to Bell, but his personal execution was woeful. However, if anyone watched the Vikes/Giants game last night, Freeman was airmailing his receivers early as well. In other words, his problem was more not being comfortable/ready than talent/ability.

Pretty much what I'm seeing (although I hadn't noticed his throwing style...interesting). I was thinking (after the TD pass to Reynolds against KU) that Bell has no problem with the crossing/slant routes. In fact, that's what prompted me to start this thread. It just seems that the plays that take longer to develop give Bell more time to over-think the throw. As you mentioned, I'd really like to see Huepel pick up on that.

8timechamps
10/22/2013, 08:03 PM
Oh I've had to watch every game several times for evaluation purposes..And I see what you are saying..But OU hasn't had a WR good at getting separation since Malcolm Kelly..And he wasn't great at it.

Anyway, the guys are there most of the time...it's his holding the ball for too long that led to the pick 6 against texas, and some of those "coverage" sacks that have began to happen all of a sudden with him at QB. He throws the screen well but anything that doesn't provide a "high school" window is scaring him..not just fear, but the fact that he drops his eyes on anything not a quick read..That in itself will cause you to miss open receivers..Not to mention his fading to the back of the pocket, sometimes 10 yards with no presure..On one play, without pressure, it was a 15 yard pass back to the line of scrimmage..

As far as comparison between Klein and Bell, what each quarterback is required to do in the 2 different styles is completely different..OU's offense is way more quarterback dependant than KState..Not to mention the differences in abilities as far as running style. As far as the development of each player, according to a certain NFL QB coach, we are **** poor at it right now and the QB better have some natural raw abilities.

I think I'm saying the same thing, just wording it poorly. I shouldn't have listed the receivers not getting open ahead of Blake's hesitation (in my first post).

ashley
10/22/2013, 08:08 PM
Pretty much what I'm seeing (although I hadn't noticed his throwing style...interesting). I was thinking (after the TD pass to Reynolds against KU) that Bell has no problem with the crossing/slant routes. In fact, that's what prompted me to start this thread. It just seems that the plays that take longer to develop give Bell more time to over-think the throw. As you mentioned, I'd really like to see Huepel pick up on that.

This means that he has lost confidence. afraid to pull the trigger.

8timechamps
10/22/2013, 08:25 PM
This means that he has lost confidence. afraid to pull the trigger.

Could be, he seems to be afraid to make some throws. I think I mentioned it earlier, but I believe the reason he wasn't named the starter was because he was playing overly cautious in the summer. Against Tulsa and ND, he didn't seem to have an issue. For some reason, it started against TCU and has continued.

BoulderSooner79
10/22/2013, 10:41 PM
Could be, he seems to be afraid to make some throws. I think I mentioned it earlier, but I believe the reason he wasn't named the starter was because he was playing overly cautious in the summer. Against Tulsa and ND, he didn't seem to have an issue. For some reason, it started against TCU and has continued.

I don't think it's a mystery. Tulsa was just out manned, so our guys were open and Bell had time. ND chose to concede the quick WR screen or outlet to the RB and Bell got a lot of easy throws in the 5-8 yard range. Starting with TCU, the defenses are challenging every throw assuming they won't get beat deep.

OU_Sooners75
10/22/2013, 10:55 PM

First, the bad:

Now, the good:

Actually he is a pretty good passer. But wouldn't expect you to think so. His problem isn't his ability, it's indecisiveness. Another issue plaguing him seems to be confidence. It seems when a receiver doesn't make a catch that should have been caught he starts losing confidence in his receivers. So he tries to hard to be perfect on every throw.

A QB cannot expect himself to make perfect throws every time. He needs to learn to relax and just throw the ball. It seems simple, and it is.

Bell was a top 10 QB nationally coming out of high school for his passing abilities. So he needs to just get comfortable and relax.

OU_Sooners75
10/22/2013, 10:55 PM

You're an idiot!

OU_Sooners75
10/22/2013, 10:58 PM
I have to agree with the others on the "touch" aspect of his passing game. That was the only touch pass that I have seen him throw that had a chance of being caught. He hurries his throws too often and doesn't put it out there for the receiver to run under it enough. From the last game, he does seem to have the zip for short/intermediate throws. Not sold on his long ball too much, either.

One of his ints in the texass game seemed to be the fault of Saunders (I think)- it was to BB's left and Saunders left the ground to go for it, but restrained his reach because he thought it was intended for someone else. I'm not sure if was catchable, let alone, reachable...

Actually he completed some nice ones against ND and Tulsa. It's easy to say he doesn't have touch when the defender is blanketing a receiver.

One thing that will help him a bunch IMO is the call for some streaks. Have the WRs run a double move on the pressing DBs and run straight down the field. If he completes a couple the secondary will back off.

BoulderSooner79
10/22/2013, 11:11 PM
One thing that will help him a bunch IMO is the call for some streaks. Have the WRs run a double move on the pressing DBs and run straight down the field. If he completes a couple the secondary will back off.

Exactly. But of course, this is the play the defenses are assuming he can't make right now. His first few tries were terrible - floating ducks. I did notice he made one nice long throw against KU. It wasn't a good pass because it was way overthrown. Bell dropped very quickly and let it go too soon with no time for Jazz to get under it, so the timing was off. But it was a beautiful throw with just the right trajectory for go route. It didn't float, but it wasn't a flat line. I don't remember when it happened but I think it was 2nd half. Bell was throwing left to right from the camera and Jazz was streaking down the near sideline in 1 on 1 coverage. At least it was encouraging.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/23/2013, 12:18 AM
Exactly. But of course, this is the play the defenses are assuming he can't make right now. His first few tries were terrible - floating ducks. I did notice he made one nice long throw against KU. It wasn't a good pass because it was way overthrown. Bell dropped very quickly and let it go too soon with no time for Jazz to get under it, so the timing was off. But it was a beautiful throw with just the right trajectory for go route. It didn't float, but it wasn't a flat line. I don't remember when it happened but I think it was 2nd half. Bell was throwing left to right from the camera and Jazz was streaking down the near sideline in 1 on 1 coverage. At least it was encouraging.

The key here is the loss of timing.

There was a series where he threw 3 passes that were absolute rifles into the middle that got us into the red zone. He then threw a touch fade into the end zone (overthrown badly) and then badly missed on 2 routes where he should have rifled the ball but they weren't within 10 yards of the intended target. On the play you are talking about he then badly missed another throw on the next play.

The guy throws a beautiful looking touch pass but it totally borks his accuracy not just for that play, but for 2-3 passes afterwards. That is why I'm saying we need to treat him like Paul Thompson and just go to a mixture of routes that require frozen ropes.

engineer24
10/23/2013, 08:38 AM
Actually he completed some nice ones against ND and Tulsa. It's easy to say he doesn't have touch when the defender is blanketing a receiver.

Easier said than done. Bell cant throw a very good lob/deep ball on the streak. He's tried a few times and every single time he wasnt even close to putting the ball where the receiver had a chance to jump catch it.

His arm strength is fine, his accuracy and touch is the real problem IMO

cvsooner
10/23/2013, 11:52 AM
Well, okay, we've pretty well identified Bell's difficulties as a passer. Outside of JKM's suggestion of limiting the playcalling to a couple of types of throws, what's the answer? How do you fix it?

Position Limit
10/23/2013, 01:16 PM
Well, okay, we've pretty well identified Bell's difficulties as a passer. Outside of JKM's suggestion of limiting the playcalling to a couple of types of throws, what's the answer? How do you fix it?

lock heupel in a closet with a box of donuts. and run baby run. turn him and our running backs loose against this no defense playing of a conference. occasional tight end dump, some playaction. and i mean real playaction. not this half assed bastardized version we do twice a game. he seems to do well with the swing passes, so yeah that too. and screen pass other than the bubble. oh yeah, and run the ball early and often.

sooneron
10/23/2013, 01:47 PM
The play action pass is a trick play. Bob Stoops will verify this.

8timechamps
10/23/2013, 02:28 PM

I'd like to see Heupel go with a similar game plan he used against KU. We didn't execute it well in the first half, but I thought the gameplan was pretty solid. Use Bell more on the interior (when running), work the middle of the field on short and intermediate routes and use our running game.

The one thing I'll add is that I am all for completely ditching the up-tempo portion of our offense. It's become way too predictable, and since Blake isn't where he needs to be in the passing game (yet), even running play action off of the up tempo is a challenge.

I liked how much we got Millard and Finch involved last week, and hope that continues. Bell is mobile, use him that way.

One other thing I'd like to see is more designed roll out passes. I think Bell could benefit from that.

sooneron
10/23/2013, 03:21 PM
^This!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/23/2013, 03:40 PM
I'd like to see Heupel go with a similar game plan he used against KU. We didn't execute it well in the first half, but I thought the gameplan was pretty solid. Use Bell more on the interior (when running), work the middle of the field on short and intermediate routes and use our running game.

The one thing I'll add is that I am all for completely ditching the up-tempo portion of our offense. It's become way too predictable, and since Blake isn't where he needs to be in the passing game (yet), even running play action off of the up tempo is a challenge.

I liked how much we got Millard and Finch involved last week, and hope that continues. Bell is mobile, use him that way.

One other thing I'd like to see is more designed roll out passes. I think Bell could benefit from that.

The problem is that you have to do something to challenge the boundaries or they'll pinch the LOS and the middle of the field. Right now teams only have to defend a very small portion of the field to stop us.

8timechamps
10/23/2013, 03:50 PM
The problem is that you have to do something to challenge the boundaries or they'll pinch the LOS and the middle of the field. Right now teams only have to defend a very small portion of the field to stop us.

Last week, we used some swing/WR screen/RB motion passes that seemed to help some (although I don't think we used them enough). Against ND, it worked because they didn't move anyone to account for the motioning back on the swing. TCU and Texas did a good job of taking that away, but I don't think Tech has the athletes overall on defense to match that.

Of course we'd still have to throw the ball down field, if for no other reason than to keep them on their heels. But, I think a combination of the inside running game, some middle of the field routes and some aforementioned sideline screens/swings would work.

Pricetag
10/23/2013, 04:48 PM
I can't remember whether it was against Kansas or Texas, but I remember a play where they moved the pocket for Blake, and he looked incredibly uncomfortable, particlarly with his footwork.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/23/2013, 05:46 PM
I can't remember whether it was against Kansas or Texas, but I remember a play where they moved the pocket for Blake, and he looked incredibly uncomfortable, particlarly with his footwork.

It was against KU when they had him roll left. This isn't easy for a right handed QB, but for some reason it was really awkward for him. That being said, Bell generally has good footwork in the pocket.

Compare Bell's Feet vs the best

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0X2UJbmiys vs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwK_XvW7dkU

The problem is when the throw is anywhere but between the hashmarks :(

cvsooner
10/23/2013, 06:55 PM
It's become very clear why Stoops and co. didn't want Landry to run, ever. We had no viable backup, apparently, if he got hurt.

cvsooner
10/23/2013, 06:57 PM
So, we've got no sideline throw on down and outs, no fades, no fly patterns, just varying degrees of success on slant, post and screens. And even the screen tosses are shaky at points...way high or behind the runner. Sakes...how'd we get here at this point in the program?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/23/2013, 07:20 PM
You forgot seam routes. But nonetheless teams have to defend an upside down T shaped area against us. Last year, they had to defend an H shaped area since we couldn't do jack right up the middle with the run.

8timechamps
10/23/2013, 07:36 PM
So, we've got no sideline throw on down and outs, no fades, no fly patterns, just varying degrees of success on slant, post and screens. And even the screen tosses are shaky at points...way high or behind the runner. Sakes...how'd we get here at this point in the program?

The lack of any tight ends in our offense doesn't help. I know Millard and Rip both play that spot, but it's not often, and whenever you don't use something often, it becomes more difficult than it should (like Rip running free against KU on the 4th and 2).

OU_Sooners75
10/23/2013, 09:47 PM

Easier said than done. Bell cant throw a very good lob/deep ball on the streak. He's tried a few times and every single time he wasnt even close to putting the ball where the receiver had a chance to jump catch it.

His arm strength is fine, his accuracy and touch is the real problem IMO

That is a timing issue, not a throwing issue or being a poor passer.

It all comes down to confidence. Confidence that his line will be able to hold up for 3-4 seconds and confidence the WR will be able to go up and get the ball if need be.

It's is something that will take some time.

That said, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Bell got hardly any work on deep routes while Landry Jones was here and since Heupel took over for Kevin Wilson.

We saw regression from jones after 2010. And now we see this production from Bell and even Knight. It tells me Heupel isn't able to spend a lot of time one on one with his position as a QB coach.

OU_Sooners75
10/23/2013, 09:49 PM

How do you fix it? Keep trying. He has the ability and he has shown he can do it if given some time.

He needs to learn to calm down inside the pocket.

Also the WRs need to learn to fight through press coverage better.

SoonerInHSV
10/23/2013, 10:19 PM
We saw regression from jones after 2010. And now we see this production from Bell and even Knight. It tells me Heupel isn't able to spend a lot of time one on one with his position as a QB coach.

I wonder if this is not a lot of the problem. You have a newbie OC whose spending lots of his time learning how to do his job and does not have time to coach the QB‘s.

8timechamps
10/24/2013, 01:58 PM
How do you fix it? Keep trying. He has the ability and he has shown he can do it if given some time.

He needs to learn to calm down inside the pocket.

Also the WRs need to learn to fight through press coverage better.

What's odd to me is how poised he looked against Tulsa and even Notre Dame. If you go back and watch those games, he just looked comfortable in the pocket, and didn't seem to be phased by pressure. That changed against TCU, and up until the third quarter against KU, I hadn't seen it. He appeared to do a better job in the second half last week. What's odd is how he started that way, then regressed.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/24/2013, 02:08 PM
What's odd to me is how poised he looked against Tulsa and even Notre Dame. If you go back and watch those games, he just looked comfortable in the pocket, and didn't seem to be phased by pressure. That changed against TCU, and up until the third quarter against KU, I hadn't seen it. He appeared to do a better job in the second half last week. What's odd is how he started that way, then regressed.

Yeah, and while Tulsa could be discounted because of them being bad, for him to go into South Bend and play that way, it's somewhat puzzling. OU's offense put up 28 points in that game (I'm aware of the 32 yard "drive" off the INT, but it was still a TD by the offense), so it's baffling how they could go out and struggle against the likes of Texas and Kansas' defense. Even though it was only one more point, Oklahoma put up more points than Arizona St. did against Notre Dame and Arizona St. is 6th in the nation in scoring offense at 45.4 points per game.

Coach Heupel really just needs to stick with what Bell can do well. I remember Mangino asking Heupel what he felt comfortable doing when OU was down 14-0 to Nebraska in 2000. You would think Heupel would do this with Bell, but it certainly hasn't looked like it. They need to have Bell doing two step drops and either throwing it or taking off with it. If he's taking 3 or more steps back, he's thinking too much in the process and bad things happen. I hate the up tempo offense, but I think Bell would respond better in it where he doesn't have time to think and just react. Kind of like when he ran out of the Belldozer package the previous two seasons.

8timechamps
10/24/2013, 02:14 PM
Yeah, and while Tulsa could be discounted because of them being bad, for him to go into South Bend and play that way, it's somewhat puzzling. OU's offense put up 28 points in that game (I'm aware of the 32 yard "drive" off the INT, but it was still a TD by the offense), so it's baffling how they could go out and struggle against the likes of Texas and Kansas' defense. Even though it was only one more point, Oklahoma put up more points than Arizona St. did against Notre Dame and Arizona St. is 6th in the nation in scoring offense at 45.4 points per game.

Coach Heupel really just needs to stick with what Bell can do well. I remember Mangino asking Heupel what he felt comfortable doing when OU was down 14-0 to Nebraska in 2000. You would think Heupel would do this with Bell, but it certainly hasn't looked like it. They need to have Bell doing two step drops and either throwing it or taking off with it. If he's taking 3 or more steps back, he's thinking too much in the process and bad things happen. I hate the up tempo offense, but I think Bell would respond better in it where he doesn't have time to think and just react. Kind of like when he ran out of the Belldozer package the previous two seasons.

Absolutely. I liked the play calling in the KU game (obviously we didn't execute until almost halftime), because I thought we were playing to our strengths. And we know what the offense is capable of when Bell is playing well. Notre Dame has proven to be a better win than a lot of folks thought (and I think it will only look better as the year goes on), we just need to execute like that every week.

engineer24
10/24/2013, 08:50 PM
You forgot seam routes. But nonetheless teams have to defend an upside down T shaped area against us. Last year, they had to defend an H shaped area since we couldn't do jack right up the middle with the run.

Good point. Elite QBs can thread tight coverage over the middle. Heupel, Colt McCoy, and Bradford could do this. Bell just doesnt have that level of accuracy.

How many times did Colt McCoy find an open Jordan Shipley in the middle of the field, even with all the LBs in hook zones and shaded towards his side? Colt McCoy didnt have a very strong arm either and he still got it done.

8timechamps
10/24/2013, 08:53 PM
Good point. Elite QBs can thread tight coverage over the middle. Heupel, Colt McCoy, and Bradford could do this. Bell just doesnt have that level of accuracy.

How many times did Colt McCoy find an open Jordan Shipley in the middle of the field, even with all the LBs in hook zones and shaded towards his side? Colt McCoy didnt have a very strong arm either and he still got it done.

I think he has that ability, he just isn't sure enough of himself right now. Look at the pass to Reynolds in the KU game, that was a big time throw, in a perfect spot. I would just like to see that on a far more consistent basis.

Blue
10/24/2013, 09:01 PM
So did y'all figure it out?

8timechamps
10/24/2013, 09:08 PM
So did y'all figure it out?

Close, but we have a couple of days.

OUmillenium
10/25/2013, 09:34 PM
thats funny...a welcome break from my residual rage from the UTerus game

ashley
10/26/2013, 07:31 AM
No one can see the receivers when you drop your eyes to the rush.

Rogue
10/26/2013, 09:03 AM
I'm a Bell skeptic. Every possible upside of his is overshadowed by the same upside in Knight, IMO. The WRs dropped some of TK's good passes too. He's fine in a certain package in a certain situation...the Belldozer. Bell is in his 4th year on campus, admittedly in an evolving "system." He has thrown some good timing routes and about half were dropped. I saw the same thing from TK, except he was very quick with his first step when he needed to take off and run which, IMO, is a huge advantage given our struggles. If Bell is still a developmental passer, then we probably don't have enough time to get him there before he runs out of eligibility. If he's as good as he's going to be, it isn't enough. If I'm wrong and he's really a world beater and we are inches away from being a breakout offense, I'll eat my hat.

cherokeebrewer
10/26/2013, 09:19 AM
I'm not giving up on Blake Bell. Bob Stoops & staff have a pretty good track record developing QB's.

BoulderSooner79
10/26/2013, 10:19 AM
No one can see the receivers when you drop your eyes to the rush.

Not true. I can see the receivers, the rush, the coverage and even the cheerleaders all from the comfort of my couch. It's all especially clear on Sunday morning - I just don't get Bell's issues.

swardboy
10/26/2013, 07:21 PM
Mr. Bell took a huge step forward tonight! I didn't like the first airball bomb he threw, but there was a noticeable loss of "happy feet", and a lot more stepping into his throws. He came up big tonight in my book.

Rogue
10/26/2013, 07:56 PM
He threw 3 or 4 really good balls in today's 14 completions. Although he was clutch when he needed to be, I'm not seeing much to get excited about.

Blue
10/26/2013, 08:10 PM
He threw 3 or 4 really good balls in today's 14 completions. Although he was clutch when he needed to be, I'm not seeing much to get excited about.

Agreed. We are playing all kinds of youngsters ue to injuries on top of injuries. We look good despite our youth. Really happy with the D. Time to plat K Thompson and some other qbs. The D will be there next year, we need an O that can dominate or we'll get shelled in Lubbock.

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2013, 09:40 PM

Agreed. We are playing all kinds of youngsters ue to injuries on top of injuries. We look good despite our youth. Really happy with the D. Time to plat K Thompson and some other qbs. The D will be there next year, we need an O that can dominate or we'll get shelled in Lubbock.

So in other words you want to go all okie aggie and start looking to next year?

Seriously?

Blue
10/26/2013, 09:49 PM

Seriously?

I want to get them some playing time yes.

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2013, 10:01 PM

Seriously?

I want to get them some playing time yes.

So you want to get unproven players playing time when the game is on the line?

I would be more about getting TK in more KT at this point if you're wanting to get more experience at the QB spot.

SCOUT
10/26/2013, 10:04 PM
Mr. Bell took a huge step forward tonight! I didn't like the first airball bomb he threw, but there was a noticeable loss of "happy feet", and a lot more stepping into his throws. He came up big tonight in my book.

His happy feet is my biggest complaint, and yes tonight was better. I would add that he has had a TERRIBLE habit of back peddling and then throwing back across the field. Tonight he threw it away which is a huge improvement in my mind.

He is getting better and was decent to start!

Blue
10/26/2013, 10:06 PM
So you want to get unproven players playing time when the game is on the line?

I would be more about getting TK in more KT at this point if you're wanting to get more experience at the QB spot.

Not when the game is on the line but defin as an added wrinkle and most def mop up time although we might not have that again.

Do you think Bell is the man next year? I don't.

Soonerwake
10/26/2013, 10:56 PM
You guys are so hard to please.

Blue
10/26/2013, 10:59 PM

10-2 is great but its been 14 years. The monster needs to eat.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/27/2013, 12:17 AM
10-2 is great but its been 14 years. The monster needs to eat.the Crimson elephant is leaving us in its dust.

Rogue
10/27/2013, 09:46 AM

And very spoiled with some amazing talent at QB the past decade. White, Bradford, Jones, etc... Our backups were pretty awesome and kids that transferred started at other schools. The current crop doesn't compare. Yet. Trevor Knight sure seems to have some big potential.

I agree with Scout that he threw the ball away well a couple times vs. TT.

ashley
10/27/2013, 12:49 PM
He played better and saw the field better from the pocket.

SoonerorLater
10/27/2013, 02:09 PM
It was a decent outing for Bell and he did a pretty good job due in good part to what I would say was Josh's best game play calling to date. That said Bell is limited in his passing game. There are throws that a really good Div I QB needs to make to be successful and I have not seen Bell can't make all the throws he needs to. Oddly enough I find myself thinking in the end we may be just as good with Bell as we were with Landry last year largely due to the necessity of us finding a running game.

picasso
10/27/2013, 04:50 PM
It was a decent outing for Bell and he did a pretty good job due in good part to what I would say was Josh's best game play calling to date. That said Bell is limited in his passing game. There are throws that a really good Div I QB needs to make to be successful and I have not seen Bell can't make all the throws he needs to. Oddly enough I find myself thinking in the end we may be just as good with Bell as we were with Landry last year largely due to the necessity of us finding a running game.
I agree with a lot of that but Blake made some plays last night.
He stepped up in the pocket and delivered a beauty on the deep ball to Saunders. If you guys can't admit that then you're not just being critical, a more descriptive word comes to mind.

SoonerorLater
10/27/2013, 05:54 PM
I agree with a lot of that but Blake made some plays last night.
He stepped up in the pocket and delivered a beauty on the deep ball to Saunders. If you guys can't admit that then you're not just being critical, a more descriptive word comes to mind.

Swipe shot.... If you can't admit that the deep throw is more the exception rather than closer to the norm then a more descriptive word comes to mind for me as well.

picasso
10/27/2013, 05:58 PM
Swipe shot.... If you can't admit that the deep throw is more the exception rather than closer to the norm then a more descriptive word comes to mind for me as well.

That actually wasn't directed at you.
I can see the passes he struggles on but I can also step up and give the guy credit when he deserves it.

EatLeadCommie
10/27/2013, 06:04 PM
Blake's thing is confidence. I was ready to throw the towel in on him last night and they trotted him out for what looked to be a last chance with TK warming up on the side, and then suddenly he turned into Sam Bradford. He has the physical tools. He doesn't have the confidence. Yesterday seemed to help him in the confidence department, but we can't keep waffling between what we saw later in the game yesterday and what we saw earlier. We need consistency from him.

East Coast Bias
10/27/2013, 07:03 PM
Things changed with Bell when Knight started warming up on the sidelines. It was lights out after that. A great move by Stoops...

8timechamps
10/27/2013, 09:16 PM

I have to ask you which throws Blake needs to make that you haven't seen him make?

Blake is no Landry, and he never will be, but he can win at the level OU wants/needs.

He's a very good game manager, and where he lacks in the throwing game, he makes up for in the running game.

As for the passing offense, it's getting better, and I think it will continue to improve. Saturday, against Tech, the offense looked a lot like I think Stoops wants it to look. Very balanced, and able to hit defenses where they are weak.

cburgsooner
10/27/2013, 09:36 PM
Would Stoops made the change to Knight if Millard would not covered Bell's fumble. I think Bell played decent after that . We played more ball control running the ball which helps him greatly. He doesn't have to win the game with his arm.

Soonerwake
10/27/2013, 09:41 PM
I liked the mix of run and pass. When we went down the field in the second half, I turned to my friend and said that was a "we got some balls" drive. We ran right at them and it worked. I think Heupel did a good job of doing what Bell can do, not trying a bunch of fades, multiple reads, etc... Let him run it straight up the gut, hand it off, throw the quick hitters...

BoulderSooner79
10/27/2013, 10:03 PM
Would Stoops made the change to Knight if Millard would not covered Bell's fumble...

I seriously doubt it, but I am almost certain Stoops ever won't tell us.

8timechamps
10/28/2013, 06:46 PM
Would Stoops made the change to Knight if Millard would not covered Bell's fumble. I think Bell played decent after that . We played more ball control running the ball which helps him greatly. He doesn't have to win the game with his arm.

No.

Any fumble is bad, but some are worse than others. Bell was stripped as he was going down, and from what I could tell, he had the ball covered up. It was just a really good play by the defense player. Same with Clay's fumble, he had the ball positioned correctly, the defensive player just put his helmet in the right spot. On a rainy night, that happens. Like I said, it's never good, but those are at least somewhat understandable.

8timechamps
10/28/2013, 06:48 PM
I liked the mix of run and pass. When we went down the field in the second half, I turned to my friend and said that was a "we got some balls" drive. We ran right at them and it worked. I think Heupel did a good job of doing what Bell can do, not trying a bunch of fades, multiple reads, etc... Let him run it straight up the gut, hand it off, throw the quick hitters...

I wasn't very happy with the first couple of offensive possessions (and I'm not on the Fire Heupel bandwagon), but otherwise, I thought it was a great gameplan. Use Bell's running ability on the interior, attack the edges with our backs, hit the 'quick hit' passes, and go deep enough to show the threat is there.

cvsooner
10/28/2013, 06:55 PM
Clay's fumble in particular was a terrific defensive play. Just perfect from the D's point of view. We were fortunate to recover it. Both of those, actually.

Rewatching the game, Clay played really well, though he didn't carry the ball a lot. He picks up the blitz superbly on the 76 yard pass to Saunders; with Millard wipes out the last defender with a hope of catching Bester on the ad-libbed reverse play; and has a couple of short, tough gains for first downs. All three of the tailbacks played well. Really excellent job in the final three quarters by the Sooners overall.

That said, the slow first quarter stuff has got to stop. Need to be 'on' from the opening whistle and not let up. Also, the breakdowns on special teams are really troubling. The good stuff this season has been outweighed by the bad stuff--blocked field goal, blocked punt, TD return on a punt, two onside kicks muffed, the (admittedly brilliant) long punt return by Tech.

The addition of a special teams coach is a good thing, I think, but Boulware has some work to do.

8timechamps
10/28/2013, 07:01 PM
Clay's fumble in particular was a terrific defensive play. Just perfect from the D's point of view. We were fortunate to recover it. Both of those, actually.

Rewatching the game, Clay played really well, though he didn't carry the ball a lot. He picks up the blitz superbly on the 76 yard pass to Saunders; with Millard wipes out the last defender with a hope of catching Bester on the ad-libbed reverse play; and has a couple of short, tough gains for first downs. All three of the tailbacks played well. Really excellent job in the final three quarters by the Sooners overall.

That said, the slow first quarter stuff has got to stop. Need to be 'on' from the opening whistle and not let up. Also, the breakdowns on special teams are really troubling. The good stuff this season has been outweighed by the bad stuff--blocked field goal, blocked punt, TD return on a punt, two onside kicks muffed, the (admittedly brilliant) long punt return by Tech.

The addition of a special teams coach is a good thing, I think, but Boulware has some work to do.

I don't think we recovered Clay's fumble. I may be wrong, but I think that was on our second or third drive, and we were starting to move the ball, then gave them another short field.

We definitely have to stop with the first quarter 'breaking in' period. At least it was only on one side of the ball against Tech.

Couldn't agree more about the special teams situation. Especially with Millard out. We pretty much have to play mistake free on special teams the rest of the year. The crazy punt by Tech is at least understandable, but the breakdown on the onside kick was just ridiculous. I keep watching that play, thinking I'm going to see why Everette froze, but I can't find any reason for it. He just had a mental letdown, and didn't react. Hopefully, that never happens again.

BoulderSooner79
10/28/2013, 07:33 PM
We didn't recover Clay's fumble - it was the only TO. Both fumbles were good defensive plays, not poor ball security. I doubt Bell's fumble would have happened on a dry field. Clay's fumble would have happened no matter what. A helmet directly on the ball like that produces tremendous force. At least Stoops didn't treat a 5 yr. senior like a FR and sit Clay the rest of the game :surprise: I was happy about that.

The thing about the first few series that disturbed me was not that they were ineffective, it was that we looked disorganized. Sometimes plays just don't work, especially if the defense isn't showing what was expected. But there is no reason to look disorganized and unsure of what to do. That can be fixed.

cburgsooner
10/28/2013, 07:36 PM
8 times i just ask that because that was when Knight was warming up then and Stoops was screaming at Bell to tuck the ball right.

8timechamps
10/28/2013, 07:44 PM
8 times i just ask that because that was when Knight was warming up then and Stoops was screaming at Bell to tuck the ball right.

I figured. It was a good question, and while we'll never really know, I don't think Bell gets yanked at that point.

Honestly, If he doesn't settle in and lead the 97 yard drive, I think we would have seen Knight. Even though the fumble occurred late in that drive, he had already made a big time conversion on 3rd and long, and was clearly looking better.

BoulderSooner79
10/28/2013, 07:47 PM

I seriously doubt Stoops could see what happened on the play - he just hates fumbles. Bell had it tucked away and was hanging on tight as the defender was leveraging at the ball. It didn't look like the type of play that the ball normally comes out, but a wet ball presents less grip.

I thought the Knight warming up thing happened much earlier before Bell started hitting some passes.

8timechamps
10/28/2013, 07:54 PM
I seriously doubt Stoops could see what happened on the play - he just hates fumbles. Bell had it tucked away and was hanging on tight as the defender was leveraging at the ball. It didn't look like the type of play that the ball normally comes out, but a wet ball presents less grip.

I thought the Knight warming up thing happened much earlier before Bell started hitting some passes.

I can't even remember exactly when the fumble occurred. I thought it happened on the 97 yard drive (which was the drive after Knight started warming up), but I could be mistaken.