PDA

View Full Version : Coach Stoops Presser Today

cherokeebrewer
10/21/2013, 12:58 PM
Julian Wilson: Should be back at practice Tuesday

Adam Shead: Not sure, 'thinks he's ok'

Seems like Dean Blevins is not Bob's favorite media person.

Mjcpr
10/21/2013, 01:06 PM
Adam Shead: Not sure, 'thinks he's ok'

RIP, Adam.

badger
10/21/2013, 01:18 PM

Back when I used to care about press conferences, it seemed like Dean had an aura of being in the know or being the favored one that got to have the first question, etc etc. But, I haven't paid attention to pressers in awhile. Stoops has made them less interesting with his blunt, short answers. But, at least he's someone that you can trust to be telling the truth even in his bluntness and shortness.

Token Dean linkage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_97UpqoAWw) (use headphones if you're in a public location)

8timechamps
10/21/2013, 05:20 PM
Every week, Stoops gets asked some really stupid questions, and sometime he starts to get pissed off. Today, he was able to remain pretty calm despite some stupidity.

Dean can sometimes ask good questions, or at least the hard questions. Other times, he's one of the guys asking dumb questions. I think Stoops is okay with Dean, but there are times I think Dean pushes him.

My favorite part of today's presser was when Al asked if Bob had anything to say about the fans being loud at the Tech game. Then, Bob says his piece, and the next question (the last one) is from Jenni Carlson. She asks "what is your message to fans attending the Tech game?". How can you be at the press conference and pay no attention?

Scott D
10/21/2013, 05:22 PM
dude you ARE talking about Jenni Carlson

stoops the eternal pimp
10/21/2013, 05:26 PM
I wish someone would ask him why runningbacks are held to a different standard in turning the ball over compared to other positions.

Scott D
10/21/2013, 05:27 PM
because he has more of them than quarterbacks you silly man.

8timechamps
10/21/2013, 05:31 PM

Funny, because as soon as she asked the question, I thought "Jenni is being Jenni".

BoulderSooner79
10/21/2013, 05:56 PM
I wish someone would ask him why runningbacks are held to a different standard in turning the ball over compared to other positions.

This! I've felt for a long time that freshman RBs are not coached well in this regard. Everyone coaches against fumbles and I get that. But I think it gets into these kids heads if they lose all PT the rest of the game or even multiple games. Many coaches will sit them a series and then get them back in there and try to build some confidence. Same as throwing a high percentage pass to a receiver after a drop. Maybe that's why we land all these 4+ star guys and then it's the JUCO transfers that win the job.

(But you were probably asking why we don't bench the QB after a pick. If so, nevermind.)

cvsooner
10/21/2013, 06:13 PM
Every week, Stoops gets asked some really stupid questions, and sometime he starts to get pissed off. Today, he was able to remain pretty calm despite some stupidity.

Dean can sometimes ask good questions, or at least the hard questions. Other times, he's one of the guys asking dumb questions. I think Stoops is okay with Dean, but there are times I think Dean pushes him.

My favorite part of today's presser was when Al asked if Bob had anything to say about the fans being loud at the Tech game. Then, Bob says his piece, and the next question (the last one) is from Jenni Carlson. She asks "what is your message to fans attending the Tech game?". How can you be at the press conference and pay no attention?

What that means is she didn't like the way he answered the original question. Didn't have a good quote. So she asked it again in a different way...hoping Bob would answer it in a good way. :friendly_wink:

TheHumanAlphabet
10/21/2013, 06:53 PM

Yes, Jenni "I'm a man, I am 40" Carlson...

sooneron
10/22/2013, 07:55 AM
What that means is she didn't like the way he answered the original question. Didn't have a good quote. So she asked it again in a different way...hoping Bob would answer it in a good way. :friendly_wink:
certainly

badger
10/22/2013, 08:39 AM
Nah, I agree, she was probably hoping for some "coaching up" a la 2008 that caused everyone to be rowdy... but this is a different situation from 08, so I don't expect a blowout, nor do I expect fans to go crazy.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
10/22/2013, 08:58 AM
O/T

Just had to say--I'm going to the Tech game! I'm so excited! My first home game since several presidents ago!!!

Carry on.

cherokeebrewer
10/22/2013, 09:06 AM
Just had to say--I'm going to the Tech game! I'm so excited! My first home game since several presidents ago!!!

Well ok then...Be Loud!!!

mainline13
10/22/2013, 09:16 AM
This! I've felt for a long time that freshman RBs are not coached well in this regard. Everyone coaches against fumbles and I get that. But I think it gets into these kids heads if they lose all PT the rest of the game or even multiple games. Many coaches will sit them a series and then get them back in there and try to build some confidence. Same as throwing a high percentage pass to a receiver after a drop. Maybe that's why we land all these 4+ star guys and then it's the JUCO transfers that win the job.

(But you were probably asking why we don't bench the QB after a pick. If so, nevermind.)

I understand where you're coming from, but what are you going to say when we do these things, and they result in another turnover or two, and ultimately a loss?

BTW, it's a rhetorical question.

badger
10/22/2013, 09:29 AM

Yes, be loud for the rest of us that will be babysitting toddlers too young to attend :(

achiro
10/22/2013, 10:34 AM
What did Bob do to make you say this?

BoulderSooner79
10/22/2013, 10:54 AM
I understand where you're coming from, but what are you going to say when we do these things, and they result in another turnover or two, and ultimately a loss?

BTW, it's a rhetorical question.

I'd sit them for a couple of series or a quarter and then try to get them a couple of "confidence" carries. The RB position is unique in that talented true FR can come in and produce on natural talent that cannot be taught. But they also have to learn a complex scheme of blocking assignments that forces them to think much more than react. If they start thinking too much, they can lose that natural edge and over-punishing mistakes may do that. Just my opinion, but I've also observed that watching other teams. I don't know if it's Stoops or Gundy, but OU seems to take the ball away from the young RBs for much longer than other teams after any kind of mistake. And we seem to get much less production from RBs given the number of highly recruited players we land - especially early in their careers. I'd hate to see Ford sit the next few games or become a head case and lose all his aggression out of fear of making a mistake. That's my rhetorical answer :tranquillity:

SanDiegoSoonerGal
10/22/2013, 11:04 AM

Heck yeah I will!

stoops the eternal pimp
10/22/2013, 11:19 AM

No, it's a little of both..Keith Ford comes out running strong, has a ball stripped..and then disappears. Just doesn't seem like a good idea to handle a guy like that..especially when it's not a team wide philosophy.

badger
10/22/2013, 11:26 AM
No, it's a little of both..Keith Ford comes out running strong, has a ball stripped..and then disappears. Just doesn't seem like a good idea to handle a guy like that..especially when it's not a team wide philosophy.

What is the best way to handle this situation? Didn't everyone else watching at home remark "Well, he's getting yanked," whereas when our secondary blows coverage, or the QB throws an INT, we aren't saying the same thing.

cherokeebrewer
10/22/2013, 11:46 AM
What did Bob do to make you say this?

No one made me say it, but I just noticed this year and last that Bob cuts him short more often than not. My wife even noticed it and she don't notice much 'in a presser'. But, I agree with 8times, Bob's likely ok with him. Heck, he cuts a bunch of 'em short...

PalmBeachSooner
10/22/2013, 01:57 PM
What that means is she didn't like the way he answered the original question. Didn't have a good quote. So she asked it again in a different way...hoping Bob would answer it in a GREAT way. :friendly_wink:

FIFY

blacktop
10/22/2013, 03:03 PM
What about the question concerning the Mike Stoops-Jerry Montgomery "argument? I have only seen highlights of the game. Is it just Mike being Mike, two intense guys, we went down 13-0 very quickly, all of the above. I haven't seen much about it. Anyone have a link to the full game?

8timechamps
10/22/2013, 05:11 PM
What about the question concerning the Mike Stoops-Jerry Montgomery "argument? I have only seen highlights of the game. Is it just Mike being Mike, two intense guys, we went down 13-0 very quickly, all of the above. I haven't seen much about it. Anyone have a link to the full game?

I think it's a little of everything you mentioned. Mike was upset, and apparently Montgomery either wasn't making the correct adjustments, or thought he was and thought Mike was wrong.

This kind of thing goes on all the time (in a close game), on every team. I thought it was blown out of proportion on TV, but anytime that gets caught on camera, it's going to be discussed.

I think it was just last year that Mike and Bob were going at each other. Bob stays pretty calm most of the time, but you can tell Mike is ready to blow from the minute the game starts. But, the players love him, so he must do a really good job with them during the week.

If you are a member of SoonerSportsTV, you can view the entire game. I don't think it's been posted on YouTube....yet.

8timechamps
10/22/2013, 05:15 PM

Bob had a good point when he was asked about it the press conference. He basically said that Ford has fumbled the ball twice in two games, and that he doesn't have that many carries, so it's worse than if a guy like Clay fumbled once every 100 carries (I paraphrased that, but that's basically what he said).

It's kinda like the Brandon Williams situation a couple of years ago, the kid ran the ball very well, but kept fumbling. He stopped seeing playing time because of it, and while he said it was for personal reasons, I think he left because he wasn't playing. What's funny is that he's not really doing anything at A&M either. The big difference is that Stoops has made it known that Ford will get a lot of playing time in the future, and just needs to put more emphasis on ball security.

BoulderSooner79
10/22/2013, 06:08 PM
I thought Brandon Williams was poorly handled as well. By the time he left, he was a total head case and appeared to be afraid to run the ball. One of his early fumbles was a helmet to helmet hit that clearly stunned him and was not caused by any ball security issues. He was pulled from that game, of course. Maybe the coaches were protecting him from possible concussion, but that didn't look like the conversation that occurred on the sidelines. Things seemed to deteriorate from there. It could be Williams was just not a teachable player, but we'll never know. There have been other RBs I thought were mismanaged as well (for other reasons) which is why I wonder if it's Gundy instead of Stoops. Gundy sure can win the multi-'*' rating recruiting battles in Feb., but the fallout rate seems really high. Maybe that's just the way it is for all teams.

8timechamps
10/22/2013, 08:07 PM
I thought Brandon Williams was poorly handled as well. By the time he left, he was a total head case and appeared to be afraid to run the ball. One of his early fumbles was a helmet to helmet hit that clearly stunned him and was not caused by any ball security issues. He was pulled from that game, of course. Maybe the coaches were protecting him from possible concussion, but that didn't look like the conversation that occurred on the sidelines. Things seemed to deteriorate from there. It could be Williams was just not a teachable player, but we'll never know. There have been other RBs I thought were mismanaged as well (for other reasons) which is why I wonder if it's Gundy instead of Stoops. Gundy sure can win the multi-'*' rating recruiting battles in Feb., but the fallout rate seems really high. Maybe that's just the way it is for all teams.

Williams was having a lot of ball control issues in practice. I don't know if that was a result of him being pulled, or just a continuation of the issue.

I guess I just don't understand the issue (or the point of view). This year, we've had excellent production at RB. I thought we did decent last year too (even though it wasn't nearly the focus). So, I'm not really understanding what Gundy and/or Stoops is at fault for, if that makes sense?

picasso
10/22/2013, 08:38 PM
I saw Frank Shannon in today's practice photos wearing a soft cast on his right wrist.
Oy...

8timechamps
10/22/2013, 09:34 PM
I saw Frank Shannon in today's practice photos wearing a soft cast on his right wrist.
Oy...

Pic, he's been in a cast for a few weeks (I think since Notre Dame). He's finally to a soft cast, but against Texas and TCU he was wearing a club.

BoulderSooner79
10/22/2013, 10:49 PM
Williams was having a lot of ball control issues in practice. I don't know if that was a result of him being pulled, or just a continuation of the issue.

I guess I just don't understand the issue (or the point of view). This year, we've had excellent production at RB. I thought we did decent last year too (even though it wasn't nearly the focus). So, I'm not really understanding what Gundy and/or Stoops is at fault for, if that makes sense?

The issue for me is simple - I don't want Ford to go into his shell or become a head case and become another 4 star bust. I have no issue with the production at RB this year, just worried about player development and our history at RB. And to be clear, I'm delighted with the way Clay has come along since the middle of last season. A great example that we can recruit and develop our own, even though it took a while.

OU_Sooners75
10/22/2013, 11:11 PM
Wish he would be asked why Roy Finch doesn't see the field more than he has!

Probably the most electrifying player on the roster and he gets shafted when it comes opportunities! But when he does get them, he seems to make the best of them.

8timechamps
10/23/2013, 02:35 PM
The issue for me is simple - I don't want Ford to go into his shell or become a head case and become another 4 star bust. I have no issue with the production at RB this year, just worried about player development and our history at RB. And to be clear, I'm delighted with the way Clay has come along since the middle of last season. A great example that we can recruit and develop our own, even though it took a while.

Gotcha. I don't think Ford is going to have a problem. He strikes me as the kind of kid that will put in the work necessary to correct the ball security issues. At least I hope that's the case.

8timechamps
10/23/2013, 02:36 PM
Wish he would be asked why Roy Finch doesn't see the field more than he has!

Probably the most electrifying player on the roster and he gets shafted when it comes opportunities! But when he does get them, he seems to make the best of them.

The problem is, who are you going to take touches away from? I like how we used him last week, and I hope we see more of that, but if we need a back to block in the passing game, you can almost guarantee it won't be Finch.

OUmillenium
10/24/2013, 12:42 AM
Yes, be loud for the rest of us that will be babysitting toddlers too young to attend :(

I'm there (with toddlers that is)