PDA

View Full Version : I seem to recall near universal joy when Kevin Wilson left

SoonerPride
10/20/2013, 04:42 PM
Everyone was just soooo sure Heupel would improve somehow on the highest scoring offense in history.

Likewise most were thrilled to see Landry Jones graduate.

Be careful what you wish for; you might just get it.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
10/20/2013, 04:44 PM
^^this^^

SicEmBaylor
10/20/2013, 05:03 PM
Everyone was just soooo sure Heupel would improve somehow on the highest scoring offense in history.

I think the fact that people miss Wilson and Landry is indicative of the relative ****tiness of Heupel and Bell rather than a statement of how great Wilson and Landry were.

Curly Bill
10/20/2013, 05:03 PM
I'm still glad Wilson left!

Though it's pretty obvious Heupel isn't the answer.

cherokeebrewer
10/20/2013, 05:10 PM
Catching flak is a part of a coordinators job description...

SoonerorLater
10/20/2013, 05:25 PM

We want an OC that can provide for an offense that can run AND pass effectively not run OR pass effectively and certainly not one that can do neither.

bluedogok
10/20/2013, 05:35 PM
The loud minority always makes it seem that way.

SoonerPride
10/20/2013, 07:04 PM

We want an OC that can provide for an offense that can run AND pass effectively not run OR pass effectively and certainly not one that can do neither.

And yet the highest scoring offense in history is still inadequate somehow.

Unbelievable.

Well, that's not quite true.

Knowing the mentality of many OU fans it makes perfect sense.

SoonerPride
10/20/2013, 07:15 PM

I think the fact that people miss Wilson and Landry is indicative of the relative ****tiness of Heupel and Bell rather than a statement of how great Wilson and Landry were.

Yes.

Because both Wilson and Jones were so sub-par. Makes perfect sense.

SoonerPride
10/20/2013, 07:16 PM

Ain't that the truth.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/20/2013, 07:20 PM
While I too lament in the lack of offensive production and the loss of Big Game Bob in the mid 2000's and on and the loss of fire on the team, Heupel and Wilson are reflecting what Bob wants or they wouldn't be there or we would probably see different things. I have a feeling if Heup was on his own, we would see more what he did in 1999...

12+ years of this type of offense is Bob's offense...

SoonerorLater
10/20/2013, 07:34 PM

Unbelievable.

The "highest scoring offense in history" season-wise doesn't mean much if you are unable to pound the ball in from inside the 5 yard line when you absolutely need to, which is exactly what happened when we faced a dominant defense in Florida. Our inability to run the ball cost us a NC. When you get down there you have to be able to smash the other guy in the face and move them out. We could never do that with Wilson. You can't have an offense that has a power outage at the time you need it most.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/20/2013, 07:38 PM
Kevin will thrill the Poseidon fans and they will taste victory more than they historically did. They gave Meatchicken a good game, but still loss. They will win some of those games and be much more competitive than they have been. I am sure IU fans will like him...

SoonerMarkVA
10/20/2013, 07:58 PM
While I too lament in the lack of offensive production and the loss of Big Game Bob in the mid 2000's and on and the loss of fire on the team, Heupel and Wilson are reflecting what Bob wants or they wouldn't be there or we would probably see different things. I have a feeling if Heup was on his own, we would see more what he did in 1999...

I think this is an inescapable conclusion. Stoops sets the tone, and the coordinators (except possibly, maybe, Mike) work within those confines. The only coordinator for whom this likely wasn't true was Leach.

SoonerPride
10/20/2013, 07:58 PM

Unbelievable.

The "highest scoring offense in history" season-wise doesn't mean much if you are unable to pound the ball in from inside the 5 yard line when you absolutely need to, which is exactly what happened when we faced a dominant defense in Florida. Our inability to run the ball cost us a NC. When you get down there you have to be able to smash the other guy in the face and move them out. We could never do that with Wilson. You can't have an offense that has a power outage at the time you need it most.

I'd call it more of a "Demarco outage" but why quibble.

picasso
10/20/2013, 08:02 PM

We win that game with DM7.

tulsaoilerfan
10/20/2013, 08:06 PM
We had DeMarco for the Texas game and we managed a grand total of 48 rushing yards on around 30 carries; fact is that offense could not run the ball when it needed to against the 2 best teams we played that season.

SoonerorLater
10/20/2013, 08:09 PM
I'd call it more of a "Demarco outage" but why quibble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SHrYK7lO7s

I don't care who is running the ball here. When Florida is in the backfield as soon as our back gets the handoff we aren't going anywhere.

jkjsooner
10/20/2013, 08:23 PM
I never wanted Wilson to leave. He mit have been the best offensive coordinator we've had - at least since the wishbone days.

I was always a supporter of Wilson and said so when he was here. His detractors are the guys who think a call is stupid if it doesn't work and don't realize that offensive coordinators can't predict the future.

Basically, I don't know if is possible for the majority of fans to like an offensive coordinator...

SoonerorLater
10/20/2013, 08:42 PM
I never wanted Wilson to leave. He mit have been the best offensive coordinator we've had - at least since the wishbone days.

I was always a supporter of Wilson and said so when he was here. His detractors are the guys who think a call is stupid if it doesn't work and don't realize that offensive coordinators can't predict the future.

Basically, I don't know if is possible for the majority of fans to like an offensive coordinator...

It was a good offense for beating average or lesser opponents by 50 points but against a really good defense we muster only 14 points. Yes you would expect to have a more difficult time moving against a team like Florida but to only manage about a third of your season average point total is just not acceptable. Since Stoops has been there our offense has sputtered in every championship game we have been in. we've not scored more than 14 points in any game except USC and that was after they called off the dogs in the 4th quarter. We didn't even score much when we won in 2000.

SoonerForLife92
10/20/2013, 08:52 PM
We win that game with DM7.

Yea I think we would have at least scored on that drive and had a lot of momentum. They got their injured percy harvin, we didnt get our injured game changer. HOWEVER I was not happy with kevin wilson letting the best tight end QB combo in the nation sit there twiddling their thumbs in the redzone. It's like he was thinking oh there is no way they will expect me to run the same play again.. and again.... and again......

With that said I miss kevin wilson because he didnt stay in the ****ing pistol the whole game while having the best/most dynamic fullback in the nation. I liked our playcalling a little better against kansas with the under center so hopefully josh will start to wise up. If not (I hate to be a broken record) put him back at QB coach only and hire someone from outside of the system who knows what they are doing. Or hell give gundy a chance even.

Johnny Utah
10/20/2013, 08:56 PM
It was a good offense for beating average or lesser opponents by 50 points but against a really good defense we muster only 14 points. Yes you would expect to have a more difficult time moving against a team like Florida but to only manage about a third of your season average point total is just not acceptable. Since Stoops has been there our offense has sputtered in every championship game we have been in. we've not scored more than 14 points in any game except USC and that was after they called off the dogs in the 4th quarter. We didn't even score much when we won in 2000.

This seems to be what OU has been plagued with. As was posted earlier it doesn't matter who is in the backfield if the opposing team is also there when the ball is snapped.

Soonerwake
10/20/2013, 09:09 PM
Kevin Wilson was a bum. All he did was lead an offense that set all kinds of records for yards, points, number of plays... An offense that started the no huddle, hurry up craze.. An offense that led us to a national championship game against Jesus Tebow and his 10 NFL bound disciples, a game we win if a couple of things go our way early...

Why did we keep him around so long?? Stoops is so stoopid...

Johnny Utah
10/20/2013, 09:20 PM
Kevin Wilson was a bum. All he did was lead an offense that set all kinds of records for yards, points, number of plays... An offense that started the no huddle, hurry up craze.. An offense that led us to a national championship game against Jesus Tebow and his 10 NFL bound disciples, a game we win if a couple of things go our way early...

Why did we keep him around so long?? Stoops is so stoopid...

I appreciate the sarcasm and recognize KW's accomplishments. But unfortunately what good were all those stats if they didn't result in a win?

Johnny Utah
10/20/2013, 09:27 PM

So what is Bob's offense exactly?

TXBOOMER
10/20/2013, 09:29 PM
I vote for better recruiting. Better players make better coaches. Average QB play and several average defenders especially on the line will get you beat two or three times a year regardless of who the OC is.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/20/2013, 10:27 PM
So what is Bob's offense exactly?

What we have, an Iowa clone offense.

Johnny Utah
10/20/2013, 10:32 PM
What we have, an Iowa clone offense.

An offense that will never win anything to speak of?

Curly Bill
10/20/2013, 11:05 PM
The Iowa comparison may be even more appropriate than the one to Georgia some of us have been making.

Johnny Utah
10/20/2013, 11:07 PM
The Iowa comparison may be even more appropriate than the one to Georgia some of us have been making.

This is what I'm afraid of.

Scott D
10/21/2013, 07:54 AM
you fools, we're running the Cardinal Mooney offense of 1975.

jkjsooner
10/21/2013, 09:36 AM
I appreciate the sarcasm and recognize KW's accomplishments. But unfortunately what good were all those stats if they didn't result in a win?

We won plenty of games and six conference championships while Wilson was either OC or co-OC. If your only criteria is whether or not we won the national title then there aren't many good coordinators out there.

ObiKaTony
10/21/2013, 09:51 AM

Landry jones? Are you kidding me? Are you saying people should want him back?

PrideMom
10/21/2013, 09:54 AM
Listened to two Pro games yesterday, and both had the ball on the 1/2 yard line, and neither got a point. They both tried on 4th down to pass! I never understood that mentality, when the QB is usually 6 ft 4 in and someone could just push him in. One rule in football, is you ALWAYS take the points, so kick the field goal, unless it is at the end of the game and you need the touchdown. I think sometimes the coaches do not let the players PLAY the game, but go for statistics on what play should be successful. High scoring games may be fun to watch, but the truly good games are the defensive games. That is why the 2000 National Championship game was sooooo much fun. Even in the OU/TX blow-out, the defense scored (Rocky Calmus).

SoonerForLife92
10/21/2013, 10:12 AM
Listened to two Pro games yesterday, and both had the ball on the 1/2 yard line, and neither got a point. They both tried on 4th down to pass! I never understood that mentality, when the QB is usually 6 ft 4 in and someone could just push him in. One rule in football, is you ALWAYS take the points, so kick the field goal, unless it is at the end of the game and you need the touchdown. I think sometimes the coaches do not let the players PLAY the game, but go for statistics on what play should be successful. High scoring games may be fun to watch, but the truly good games are the defensive games. That is why the 2000 National Championship game was sooooo much fun. Even in the OU/TX blow-out, the defense scored (Rocky Calmus).

I agree that defensive games are fun. However about the 4th down thing, there is momentum that can easily change the game of football. When you kick a field goal the defense can come away feeling like they won the drive. In this case it just backfired on both of the teams trying to score.

Position Limit
10/21/2013, 10:44 AM
every saturday, if you watch some of the big games, you can easily see how incredibly soft ou is. how much of a joke the big 12 has become. we're a gimmick team in a gimmick conference. we have been for many years now. josh heupel might be the biggest fraud we've had as a coach. take a look at the offense that fsu runs. the actually have the audacity to run out of the power I. they play with just as much nastiness as their defense. they dont run a gott damn video game offense. they just **** you up. every week. same for bama. same for several other schools out there. we are a soft shadow of our former selves. oh well, the next 2 weeks of losses and our annual bowl game skirt removal we be enjoyable. at least i can read post about how the sec sucks, acc sucks and how josh heupel really isnt that bad. we have 3 qb's with wheels and put 2 of them on cinder blocks in the front yard. and blake bell doesnt seem to have a brain. yes we run the play clock down to 1 second while the offense stares at the sideline at the waterboy jock sniffers hold up huge signs will 15 different plays on them and that's really cool to see. we get to looks at heupels fat, happy *** sitting up in a booth indifferent to the world around him. at least kevin wilson ran demarco murray. heupel would run him 10 times a game while running 9 other backs for the other 9 running plays.

C&CDean
10/21/2013, 11:37 AM
I wish some OU fans would go become fans of somebody else so I don't have to listen to the crying. Sheez. Get your ****ing estrogen levels figured out and quit weeping like little bitches.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/21/2013, 11:38 AM

Unbelievable.

Wilson wiped out of all the accomplishments of the regular season with that dumb *** goal-line play-calling AND not getting the ball to Jermaine Gresham more in the BCS title game. It only takes one game to wipe it all the accomplishments away and he did just that.

I'm glad Landry is gone as well as OU needed a new identity on offense at some point, it just so happens this offense has the wrong identity due to an offensive play-caller that just doesn't have what it takes.

OUmillenium
10/21/2013, 12:58 PM

This is what I believe. I hope we have a solid mix of run/pass/creativity every game that gives us a great chance to win if Def and ST show up.

The only time I am upset is when the coaching staff does not give the team the advantages it needs. IOW, leaving unfired bullets in the gun. I felt this was my big criticism of the poor performance at UTerus this year. I expected to see a healthy dose of the QB run game until Texass proved they could stop it. That didn't happen. Strange fail.

SoonerPride
10/21/2013, 03:26 PM
it just so happens this offense has the wrong identity due to an offensive play-caller that just doesn't have what it takes.

and suppose we win the next two games against unbeaten top 10 teams?

just, you know, hypothetically speaking?

does the coaching staff get credit or is it all on the awesome players?

I'm always curious at the "logic" of some "fans."

SicEmBaylor
10/21/2013, 03:35 PM
I wish some OU fans would go become fans of somebody else so I don't have to listen to the crying. Sheez. Get your ****ing estrogen levels figured out and quit weeping like little bitches.
We have some room on our bandwagon.

okiedokie
10/21/2013, 03:59 PM

^^this^^

champions77
10/21/2013, 05:04 PM

Wilson, never had a problem with him except for the knucklehead calls on the goal line at A&M in 2010 and the calls against Florida in the 2008 NC game. I think most OU fans felt Kevin did a good job, certainly better than Chuck Long.

As to Landry, about 4 times during the texas game this year I asked the folks sitting around me if they missed Landry yet? Finally one older guy sitting in the next row and down a bit said, "we just got through talking about that".

Heupel was a mistake, plain and simple. To pass over Norvell, with what 15 years more experience, and name Heupel to that position did not make a lot of sense at the time, and it certainly makes less sense today. OU is not a place for OJT. Go to Middle Tennessee for that.

NorthernIowaSooner
10/21/2013, 05:07 PM

I remember this being the case with Demarco too.

NorthernIowaSooner
10/21/2013, 05:11 PM

I'm not sure how Wilson is your culprit here. An NFL o-line and two 1,000 yard rushers. DM wasn't a factor but that should be enough to push the ball in. Perhaps the credit belongs with the Florida defense and not blaming Wilson.

NorthernIowaSooner
10/21/2013, 05:12 PM

Iowa plays pro style, very conservative offense. OU playing offense poorly is not a comparable to Iowa's offense.

jkjsooner
10/22/2013, 08:59 AM

I was at the Rams/Panthers game. While the Rams didn't get a point, they forced a safety on the next play and got the ball back. All and all I'd take the 2 points and the ball before I'd take 3 points and give up the ball. So it did actually work out for them.

I'd personally go for it more often from the half yard line just because if it doesn't work out you're putting the opposition in a tough spot. Usually that either results in a safety or really conservative play calling that leads to a punt.

jkjsooner
10/22/2013, 09:58 AM
I'm not sure how Wilson is your culprit here. An NFL o-line and two 1,000 yard rushers. DM wasn't a factor but that should be enough to push the ball in. Perhaps the credit belongs with the Florida defense and not blaming Wilson.

There's something you don't understand. Wilson is to blame because it didn't work and it's always obvious it wasn't going to work.

Had pounding the ball in worked it would have been brilliant because, obviously, everyone knew it would work ahead of time.

Are you starting to understand? Kind of like when we run the ball up the middle and pop a 20 yard run it's a good call. When we run it and get stuffed it was a horrible, horrible call. Even the wife of the guy sitting next to you knew that we were going to call a running play there.

Or to put it another way, we have never had an offensive coordinator who wasn't predictable. Go on any message board and you'll find out that there are no good offensive coordinators out there. They are all predictable and unimaginative. If they happen to be imaginative then they're soft.

(Heavy sarcasm here.)

ashley
10/22/2013, 07:21 PM
There's something you don't understand. Wilson is to blame because it didn't work and it's always obvious it wasn't going to work.

Had pounding the ball in worked it would have been brilliant because, obviously, everyone knew it would work ahead of time.

Are you starting to understand? Kind of like when we run the ball up the middle and pop a 20 yard run it's a good call. When we run it and get stuffed it was a horrible, horrible call. Even the wife of the guy sitting next to you knew that we were going to call a running play there.

Or to put it another way, we have never had an offensive coordinator who wasn't predictable. Go on any message board and you'll find out that there are no good offensive coordinators out there. They are all predictable and unimaginative. If they happen to be imaginative then they're soft.

(Heavy sarcasm here.)

Great post.

Curly Bill
10/22/2013, 09:07 PM
Iowa plays pro style, very conservative offense. OU playing offense poorly is not a comparable to Iowa's offense.

Where did I claim they ran the same offense? I meant OU is becoming Iowa in that it's a program with a bit of a name (obviously OU much more so than Iowa), has expectations placed on it that it won't meet, and is headed by a coach that is overrated.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/23/2013, 12:08 PM

I'm always curious at the "logic" of some "fans."

OU is going to win the next two games, but Coach Heupel still won't have what it takes. Oklahoma will win these games with its defense providing a major wake-up call to both Texas Tech and Baylor. They're going to be overwhelmed despite OU's injury situation on defense.

NorthernIowaSooner
10/23/2013, 05:11 PM
Where did I claim they ran the same offense? I meant OU is becoming Iowa in that it's a program with a bit of a name (obviously OU much more so than Iowa), has expectations placed on it that it won't meet, and is headed by a coach that is overrated.

My bad, misunderstood an earlier post and the reference to offense (what he is doing wrong instead of offense on the field).

LostCreekSooner
10/24/2013, 09:37 AM

Is this you coach Wilson? If so, I'm still glad that you are gone. You were arrogant and I could predict the play you were about to call 80% of the time. Yes, keep trying to smash the ball down someone's throat (because that is what you wanted to do)... and ignore the fact that Florida couldn't match up against Gresham and we could have thrown all day and easily scored another 21 points and won the MNC.

At least Heupel is unpredictable, but I will admit his play calling sucked against TexASS.

Temujin
10/24/2013, 10:13 AM

I was actually disappointed when KW left, only because I was fairly confident that we'd elevate JH to the position way too early. But yeah, I'll admit I was interested to see what Bell could do.

Landry was a known quantity - a great passer but a lousy decision-maker. I figured it would be worse initially, but didn't expect it to be this bad. Then again, the coaches never gave us an idea of what Bell really could/couldn't do when dropping back. Now that I see his footwork in the pocket, I understand why they wanted to go with Knight. That said, I know that Blake can pass. I watched him complete pinpoint passes in HS and you see it occasionally on Saturdays. He's just less consistent with the elevated competition. I think having JH in the booth instead of working with Bell the way he worked with Sam/Landry is unfortunate.

Temujin
10/24/2013, 10:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SHrYK7lO7s

I don't care who is running the ball here. When Florida is in the backfield as soon as our back gets the handoff we aren't going anywhere.

This is true, and not only that, but Florida (and the rest of the country that was watching) knew we were going to run it when Sam lined up under center. Run a play action from that formation on 1st or 2nd down and it's an easy TD to Gresham.

I was lukewarm about KW's play-calling overall. But in that game, he was uniquely predictable.

OUmillenium
10/25/2013, 09:37 PM
This is true, and not only that, but Florida (and the rest of the country that was watching) knew we were going to run it when Sam lined up under center. Run a play action from that formation on 1st or 2nd down and it's an easy TD to Gresham.

I was lukewarm about KW's play-calling overall. But in that game, he was uniquely predictable.

This

I liked Wilson but the Florida game was frustrating because we had opportunity that went unrewarded even without DeMarco playing.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/25/2013, 09:59 PM
I'm still glad Wilson left!

Though it's pretty obvious Heupel isn't the answer.chicken dinner

OkieThunderLion
10/25/2013, 10:04 PM

Wilson is one of the best OCs I've ever watched.

Almost perfectly matched scheme to fit personnel. Had a real skill for it.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/25/2013, 11:02 PM

I'm always curious at the "logic" of some "fans."Do you think we were prepared on offense against the whorns? Do you think we could have beaten the whorns if the team was properly prepared and coached?

If we find a way to outscore Baylor, I will be impressed. But, that doesn't mean the tx game wasn't a huge brainfa*t.