PDA

View Full Version : you know it's bad when...

OU_Sooners75
10/20/2013, 10:59 AM
The teams own radio commentator questions the teams play calling.

"I'm probably going to get in trouble for this, but I've got to question the play calling..."
-Merv Johnson 10/19/2013 during game vs. Kansas.

Therealsouthsider
10/20/2013, 11:18 AM
....Josh could benefit from watching film with Merv

ss

olevetonahill
10/20/2013, 11:25 AM
Aint this the same guy who just a week ago er so was criticized for Calling a game while his wife was on her deathbed?

Therealsouthsider
10/20/2013, 11:40 AM
Aint this the same guy who just a week ago er so was criticized for Calling a game while his wife was on her deathbed?

....separate issue...not critiquing his interpersonal life skills but I must say his level of commitment is breathtaking

ss

bluedogok
10/20/2013, 11:43 AM
We were heading to Breckenridge yesterday and listening on Sirius, they only had the KU broadcast and even their announcers seemed baffled at times at the OU play calls.

cherokeebrewer
10/20/2013, 11:48 AM
Bob needs to find Josh a job at another program or cut him loose...unfortunately.

PalmBeachSooner
10/20/2013, 12:11 PM
I said Heupel was moron after the Notre Dame game and was severely pistol-whipped for saying such by board members. Maybe I should have been more specific and said "play calling moron."

SoonerMarkVA
10/20/2013, 12:32 PM
Bob needs to find Josh a job at another program or cut him loose...unfortunately.

I don't think either is necessary. Josh needs to be on the field with the quarterbacks. There is a noticeable improvement in QB performance when he is on the sideline vs. not. I say just swap Norvell and Heupel, and let Norvell call the plays.

I honestly think expecting Stoops to dump Heupel is just a loser from the start. Heup and Mike are two guys Stoops is never going to cut loose. They may leave on their own, but it won't be because they're fired or encouraged to look elsewhere.

cherokeebrewer
10/20/2013, 12:33 PM
I said Heupel was moron after the Notre Dame game and was severely pistol-whipped for saying such by board members. Maybe I should have been more specific and said "play calling moron."

Then again, maybe it was your phrasing.

ouwasp
10/20/2013, 12:34 PM
hey, the only thing that needs to be done is turn the play-calling over to Norvell. If Josh doesn't like it, he can find his own way out.

cherokeebrewer
10/20/2013, 12:40 PM
I don't think either is necessary. Josh needs to be on the field with the quarterbacks. There is a noticeable improvement in QB performance when he is on the sideline vs. not. I say just swap Norvell and Heupel, and let Norvell call the plays.

You're right, this is a better option. Hopefully Norvell would be up to the task at hand...

NorthernIowaSooner
10/20/2013, 01:08 PM
Looking back at Norvell's four years as an OC at Neb (04-06) and UCLA (07), those teams didn't set the world on fire offensively but lacked a good QB.

It might be worth a shot but I think he retains the Co-OC title here to keep him happy and pulling in recruits.

olevetonahill
10/20/2013, 02:55 PM
....separate issue...not critiquing his interpersonal life skills but I must say his level of commitment is breathtaking

ss

How in the hell is it a separate issue? Last week folks were questioning his Judgement. Now hes being praised for his judgement.
OK Mable, whatever you say.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/20/2013, 02:56 PM
I found the first couple of series odd

Pass - 1st Down
Run, Run, Run (on 3rd and 13), punt

2nd Series
Pass, Pass, Pass, Punt

3rd Series
Rush, Rush, Rush, Rush (fumble)

4th Series
Rush, Rush (1st down), Rush, Pass, Pass Punt

5th Series
Rush, Pass, Pass, Pass, Rush, Rush, Pass (TD)

6th Series
Trick Play Pass (TD)

7th Series
Pass, Pass, Rush, Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass (FG)

It just seems that the hardest play of a series to defend is the first one which will key you as to what he is going to do. Once you get the first play out of the way, you then call it for the same type of play. Those first plays were really successful (all positive yardage, averaging 18 yards/play, min 3, max 49). The other plays in the series though avg'd 3.5 yards/play.

SoonerStormchaser
10/20/2013, 03:02 PM
Kliff is prepping the anal lube for us as we speak...

thecrimsoncrusader
10/20/2013, 03:06 PM
Kliff is prepping the anal lube for us as we speak...

It's a damn shame for Kliff that Texas Tech doesn't have any remote possiblity of establishing a run game even against OU's depleted defense. OU better have a gameplan for their tight-end though.

8timechamps
10/20/2013, 06:42 PM
With the exception of Texas, JH's playcalling has been enough to win every game.

Yesterday, the PLAYERS started the day looking awful. After that, the offense looked fine. Playcalling wasn't really an issue. Merv is pandering to his listeners.

cherokeebrewer
10/20/2013, 06:53 PM
Merv is pandering to his listeners.

I honestly don't think Merv panders. I don't want to give up on JH either, but sometimes you have to wonder where his head is...I think he's better on the sideline with the QB's. He's great there.

rock on sooner
10/20/2013, 06:56 PM

I honestly think expecting Stoops to dump Heupel is just a loser from the start. Heup and Mike are two guys Stoops is never going to cut loose. They may leave on their own, but it won't be because they're fired or encouraged to look elsewhere.

There is some wisdom here....no rocks at Josh, it is OBVIOUS that he can help
the QB's on the sidelines, it is worth a shot at letting Norvell try the booth....

SoonerPride
10/20/2013, 07:10 PM
The offense is hampered by inconsistent QB play.

Bell isn't as accurate nor as polished at reading defenses as Jones nor as fast and elusive as Knight.

Our offense does enough to win.

Even against Texas.

It was the defense that couldn't stop the run that made the difference. We scored enough points.

The defense is the problem. It was under Venables and was last year as well.

Fix the defense.

FaninAma
10/20/2013, 07:42 PM

Bell isn't as accurate nor as polished at reading defenses as Jones nor as fast and elusive as Knight.

Even against Texas.

It was the defense that couldn't stop the run that made the difference. We scored enough points.

Fix the defense.

The defense gave up 22 points against Texas. While not stellar it was good enough to keep OU in the game if the offense had been moving the ball better. BTW the Sooner defense is the # 9 total defense in college football.

SoonerorLater
10/20/2013, 07:56 PM
The defense gave up 22 points against Texas. While not stellar it was good enough to keep OU in the game if the offense had been moving the ball better. BTW the Sooner defense is the # 9 total defense in college football.

Your defensive stats are going to look a lot better when you play against really bad offensive teams like we have. Here is a list of how the teams we have played stack up offensively in the order we have played them.

115th
91st
95th
83rd
85th
47th
114th

and we lost decisively to the best offensive team we played, Texas, who is still only a very average team at 47th. Our defense has not been proven successful by playing anybody worth a hoot.

8timechamps
10/20/2013, 08:16 PM
Your defensive stats are going to look a lot better when you play against really bad offensive teams like we have. Here is a list of how the teams we have played stack up offensively in the order we have played them.

115th
91st
95th
83rd
85th
47th
114th

and we lost decisively to the best offensive team we played, Texas, who is still only a very average team at 47th. Our defense has not been proven successful by playing anybody worth a hoot.

That really means nothing. If stats were the only important thing, we would have beaten Texas.

A much better way to look at it is how we fared against our opponents averages.

OU_Sooners75
10/20/2013, 08:27 PM

Even against Texas.

Fix the defense.

Our offense score a meager 13 points against Texas.

That is not enough to win most games. Our defense gave up 22.

Yes the defense gave up some big runs on first down. And though it wasn't pretty, the defense played well enough to win the game in most circumstances.

kbsooner21
10/21/2013, 03:26 PM
Heupel has been terrible.