PDA

View Full Version : One bad quarter...otherwise, pretty good game.

8timechamps
10/19/2013, 08:06 PM
No doubt, the first quarter was bad. Not sure if that was a hangover, or what, but there is no defense for that.

Otherwise, I thought the offense finally got some rhythm, and I was happy to see Huepel call Bell's number a little more, and overall I thought we ran the ball well. Defensively, we looked lost in the first quarter, but things definitely got better.

Not only did we miss Nelson and Phillips, but Torrea Peterson was suspended, and it appeared we ran a 4-3 most of the day. Lindley and Dimon got a lot of playing time today, although I think that made it a little tougher on the defense.

Special teams was weird today, a blocked punt, had a punt blocked, a missed PAT and a blocked PAT returned for 2 points. Can't remember ever seeing that in an OU game.

Prior to the season starting, If you would have told me we'd be 6-1 at this point in the season, I think I would have said "probably not".

On to Tech...

Scott D
10/19/2013, 08:18 PM
If only Bob Stoops would let some players play baseball in the offseason.....I say as I watch Jameis Winston carve up Clemson...

fadada1
10/19/2013, 08:20 PM
agree with the defense. bad first quarter, solid the rest of the way.

offense was horrible all day, imo - even with the trick play. i guess 6 1/2 games of film for kansas didn't point that possibility out. was very disappointed with pass blocking by the o-line. don't know what bell's problem is other than mentally he's not there. he's either not confident in his ability to deliver the ball, or not confident with where the play is actually going. he looks completely lost out there.

Scott D
10/19/2013, 08:21 PM
agree with the defense. bad first quarter, solid the rest of the way.

offense was horrible all day, imo - even with the trick play. i guess 6 1/2 games of film for kansas didn't point that possibility out. was very disappointed with pass blocking by the o-line. don't know what bell's problem is other than mentally he's not there. he's either not confident in his ability to deliver the ball, or not confident with where the play is actually going. he looks completely lost out there.

I'm of the opinion that developmentally he's progressed maybe 2% since he was a senior in high school. Maybe his position coach should spend more time coaching the position. ;)

EatLeadCommie
10/19/2013, 08:22 PM
Defense was gashed up the middle the entire game. They "improved" largely cuz KU had to pass. The defense is awful. Again.

Scott D
10/19/2013, 08:25 PM
Defense was gashed up the middle the entire game. They "improved" largely cuz KU had to pass. The defense is awful. Again.

the 3-3-5 works when the linebackers are in position...or so tcu makes it look most weeks.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/19/2013, 08:37 PM

They ran just as much in the second half as they did in the first. The difference was that #90 Dimon didn't get sealed as easily as Ndulae. The D with Tapper and another DE can hold even with a bad nose tackle (since they'd have to double someone and leave a LB free).

cleller
10/19/2013, 09:14 PM
Maybe the coaches paid no attention to KU, and instead were plunking around strategy for TT and Baylor this week.
Go out, have a look at the Jayhawks, then decide on your D? At any rate, the loss of Phillips and Nelson in the middle of the D has left a soft spot.

According to Gabe Lynn in the post game, they were simply lined up wrong the whole first quarter. Beats me.

SoonerKnight
10/19/2013, 10:00 PM
Yeah really bizarre Montgomery getting chewed out by Mike. Saw Bob agree with Mike but mike needs to tone it down. Montgomery is a good coach!!!!

cherokeebrewer
10/20/2013, 08:25 AM
At any rate, the loss of Phillips and Nelson in the middle of the D has left a soft spot.

Yes and these injuries are where we could least afford them. Too bad we lack quality depth, but that's the way it is. Gonna be some dog fights from here on out. Hope we bring some pitbulls...

CatfishSooner
10/20/2013, 10:01 AM
Why the mother **** did KT not get to play any? geez

Therealsouthsider
10/20/2013, 10:29 AM
...defense is thin and hanging on for dear life, offense is a philosophical patchwork. Overall, this team is a Frankensteins monster, lots of pieces and parts...kinda scary but not really

ss

OU_Sooners75
10/20/2013, 11:00 AM
If only Bob Stoops would let some players play baseball in the offseason.....I say as I watch Jameis Winston carve up Clemson...
Cody Thomas will be on the baseball field this spring.

OU_Sooners75
10/20/2013, 11:02 AM
2-3 the final five games?

Very possible!

OU_Sooners75
10/20/2013, 11:03 AM
Why the mother **** did KT not get to play any? geez

Because there is an arrogance in our coaches that believe they are never wrong. So when the ship sinks they will go down with it, all while admitting nothing is wrong!

Mack Brown taught them well!

Therealsouthsider
10/20/2013, 11:15 AM
Because there is an arrogance in our coaches that believe they are never wrong. So when the ship sinks they will go down with it, all while admitting nothing is wrong!

....I see that the violin that was played as the Titanic sank just sold for 1.6million....wonder if Stoops was the one who bought it

ss

Soonerjeepman
10/20/2013, 12:17 PM
crap from pee wee coaches to NFL...they hate to admit they are wrong.
Hoping the team can refocus for rest of season.

I have HOPE we can win them all... ;-)

Is TP only suspended the ku game?

cherokeebrewer
10/20/2013, 12:28 PM
Is TP only suspended the ku game?

Bob Stoops says he'll be back for Tech if he takes care of his academic issues.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/20/2013, 02:39 PM

Mack Brown taught them well!

So why did they put Dimon out there for Ndulae?

hawaii 5-0
10/20/2013, 02:44 PM
Shoulda been 38 - 0 against that competition.

I thot the Sooners woulda been more pizzed after the loss last week and ready to do some serious damage.

I was mistaken.

Kansas got a good LB

5-0

Scott D
10/21/2013, 08:02 AM
Cody Thomas will be on the baseball field this spring.

Personally I'm waiting for us to start a 26 year old Dylan Bundy in a few years ;)