PDA

View Full Version : Bum Phillips has passed

Wishboned
10/18/2013, 10:52 PM
I hated the Oilers but couldn't help but like him. He was a quote machine and one heck of a character.

He also was an assistant at OSU.

90 years. A good life. Rest easy Bum.

BoulderSooner79
10/19/2013, 12:05 AM
Bummer! (sorry, couldn't resist)

Flagstaffsooner
10/19/2013, 05:05 AM
Twenty some odd years ago when I lived on Houston he did color on the radio. If the Oilers won he would sing 'Goodnight Irene' at the end of the game.
What a character.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S20qvvDGBt0

PLaw
10/19/2013, 06:37 AM
I hated the Oilers but couldn't help but like him. He was a quote machine and one heck of a character.

He also was an assistant at OSU.

90 years. A good life. Rest easy Bum.

Very sad to hear this news - a neighbor of ours back in the 60's played OL for Bum at West Texas State. He thought the world of Bum.

SoonerorLater
10/19/2013, 09:13 AM
To me Bum Phillips is the kind of guy the game of football is missing today. Interesting, fun and never publicly let the pressure make him any less of a gentleman to the press and the public.

rock on sooner
10/19/2013, 10:30 AM
I remember Bum saying something like..(paraphrase here).."tired of jus
knockin on tha Super Bowl door, gonna kick that sumbitch in"...

Wishbonned said it..."a quote machine...! RIP..

Soonerus
10/19/2013, 10:47 AM
He was great !!!

Flagstaffsooner
10/19/2013, 12:33 PM
Some Bumisms.

There's two kinds of coaches, them that's fired and them that's gonna be fired."

"I always thought I could coach. I just thought people were poor judges of good coaches."

"I've never seen a hammer and tong game like that one."

"Dallas Cowboys may be America's team, but the Houston Oilers are Texas' team."

"I never scrimmage Oilers against Oilers...what for? Houston isn't on our schedule."

(To an official) "Hey, can I, can I tell you one thing? That's three holding penalties on one football team in a quarter and a half. (Pauses) That ain't funny."

(To an official) "Now, you can't do that! If you do it, I'm telling you you'll have more hell over it than a little bit."

(referring to Don Shula) "He can take his'n and beat your'n and take your'n and beat his'n."

(referring to Houston Oiler's quarterback Warren Moon) "That boy could throw a football through a car wash and not get it wet."

(when asked about Earl Campbell's inability to finish a 1 mile run in training camp) "When it's first and a mile I wont put him in."

While coaching at Houston Bum's wife travelled with him to all of the games. When asked why Bum replied, "Because she is too ugly to kiss goodbye." http://www.freegolfinfo.com/forums/image/s2.gif

sooneron
10/19/2013, 02:48 PM
Luv ya Blue! Luv ya Bum!

cleller
10/19/2013, 07:11 PM
Favorite memory is how the MNF announcers never failed to note that Bum did not wear his (cowboy) hat in the Astrodome, as his mom taught him never to wear a hat indoors.