PDA

View Full Version : My Own Worthless Opinion

stoops the eternal pimp
10/18/2013, 05:29 PM
Just a C&P of my response to some offense/heupel bashing that went on after the game on my Sports Talk Facebook group page:

I will start by saying I am not a Heupel fan, and was never a fan of the hire..Just did not understand Bob saying the best candidate possible was a qb coach who also coached TEs at Arizona..Someone who never put a gameplan together..

However, schemes are the least of the problems, even though they do have some problems. A big part of their problem is execution which comes from what I think is the biggest problem..i’ve said it here, on the radio, in print, the message boards I moderate..identity.

Heupel and his offense have no idea who they want to be..They want to be a power run team, a spread run team, a spread passing team, play 5 runningbacks, 7 receivers, recruit TEs and then not play them. They want to be a speed no huddle team, a slow it down no huddle team.. In the meantime, his offense cannot hang it’s hat on anything and say, “This is who we are..Try and stop us.”

Part of the problem with the RBs is Cale Gundy trying to make everyone happy, which is nonsense. Part of the problem is that Heupel has never made this offense his own..He comes in after Wilson, and tries to run a severely watered down version of what he did. He decides strong lineman aren’t necessary and that they need smaller, quicker guys for uptempo passing game..But wait, this week we need to be able to line up and just run down their throats..Wait, we can’t let a RB get a rhythm because I’ve got to get enough carries for 5 guys..

I felt like when this season started, they were going to find that identity..A read option offense, that pounded the ground and took control of the game. Knight gets hurt/struggles in a 13-6 4th quarter ball game..And then all of a sudden, Bell is in, and we are the Landry Jones offense..Who knows what we are trying to do now.

I know every CO since Bob has been here has been bad in fans eyes..Every one has had his job called for, so I try to take a long look at things since it seems calling out the CO is the easy thing to do..But we have a John Doe offense and It’s time for change.

starclassic tama
10/18/2013, 07:43 PM
I agree. Heupel has always seemed like one of those people that just overthinks and tinkers with things way too much. I don't think he has a natural intuitive sense of the simple concepts of football as it pertains to moving the ball and play-calling in general.

Your point about the different looks of this offense this year is spot on. The fact that he has ever trotted out a 3x2 empty set with Bell as the quarterback just blows my mind. When Wilson was here, his offenses were never perfect, and I thought his running game lacked sophistication, but nobody can ever say they questioned what he was trying to do on offense.

I think the skillset of the offensive players would be a perfect fit for the type of offense that Urban Meyer offense at Florida. Very simple passing concepts that were explosive because of how dominant the running game was. Bell can make every throw Tebow could, and he brings similar strengths in his run game.

rock on sooner
10/18/2013, 08:28 PM
Welp, I'm no expert....but a steady dose of Ford, mixed in with Millard
being behind Rip headed downhill or Williams or Clay being the steady dose.
IMO, a RB has to have a steady dose of touches to get a rhythm. Busting the
middle and a time or two on the outside will bring 7-8 to the box and open up
play action and even give time for a read progression that MY 68 year old eyes
could make and my artificial shoulder could deliver...but I digress...I think Josh
is hesitant to commit and tries to outthink the DC. Take a series and do the
above, run the freaking ball straight at 'em. Something that is not predictable
will open up the options for either run or pass.

okiewaker
10/18/2013, 11:07 PM
Guess,,so far we in agreement,,we ALL armchair. I'm not sure what bells strengths are,,,looks kinda equal to me. Anyway,,one thing Bob and the staff has consistently got right, IMO, is our QBs. I'm just gonna let'em figure this one out cause I think this one has puzzled them.