PDA

View Full Version : Blake Bell?

ObiKaTony
10/18/2013, 10:50 AM
So is Blake Bell a running qb? Passing qb? Or dual threat? To me it's obvious he is a dual threat qb, but our coaches don't have a clue how to utilize his skill set. I see no stark difference but 2 extra read option plays in our attack. Wtf is going? And can one really blame Bell back there trying to be Landry when he is Bell? The Texas game was the of pinnacle of an imponent offense with no direction. I don't belive Tim tebow could run Josh's offense right now which gives me very little confidence moving forward. Either get a drop back passer or don't call plays for qb that can't run that offense.

I really don't have a clue what blake bell is right now, and I don't think he does either. Moreover, I don't think its his fault...

JLEW1818
10/18/2013, 10:52 AM
He's for sure not a passing QB.

ObiKaTony
10/18/2013, 10:54 AM
He's for sure not a passing QB.

Was tebow? The read option and the threat of him running opened up the passing game instead of him threading the needle. Defenses realize this and Texas played up not worried at all Blake would scramble or call his own run..

JLEW1818
10/18/2013, 10:57 AM
Idk.
But people on SoonerFans.com could have made better passes against Texas. He really looked horrible.

So idk, but he for sure cannot pass against a decent secondary.

BoulderSooner79
10/18/2013, 10:59 AM
I don't see Bell as a true dual threat. He's not quick enough or evasive enough to run a zone read. I see him being used about the same way he is now - a few keepers based on the power run game as well as hope he can use his strength to avoid a sack and extend a play. Those 2 things can really augment a passing threat, and it's certainly something we haven't had for a long time. But the passing game has to improve for that to matter.

ObiKaTony
10/18/2013, 11:09 AM
I don't see Bell as a true dual threat. He's not quick enough or evasive enough to run a zone read. I see him being used about the same way he is now - a few keepers based on the power run game as well as hope he can use his strength to avoid a sack and extend a play. Those 2 things can really augment a passing threat, and it's certainly something we haven't had for a long time. But the passing game has to improve for that to matter.

I don't think bell back in the gun by himself on an Island makes much sense. On top of that he has had about 3 designed run plays this year so defenses aren't scared of playing him but the wr's. Bell back there by himself is insane and counter productive. I honestly can't tell much difference between our offense scheme this year than last year and the Qbs couldn't be any more different.

badger
10/18/2013, 11:32 AM
So is Blake Bell a running qb? Passing qb? Or dual threat?

Look, he's been here three years so what you've seen is what you'll get. Now, let me all introduce you to...

BRO BELL

...whoops, that should say "Beau Bell :)

Blake Bell's bro Beau Bell is a KU sophomore linebacker. (http://www.kansas.com/2013/10/17/3063849/for-kus-bell-ous-bell-is-all-too.html) However, he's a walk-on so we're unlikely to see him, unless the announcers go crazy with a lopsided score omg look at blake bell's bro!

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/818/22/4_1022818.jpg

ashley
10/18/2013, 11:55 AM
Decent without a rush but bad with one. Eyes drop to the rush and too slow to escape.

BoulderSooner79
10/18/2013, 12:10 PM
I don't think bell back in the gun by himself on an Island makes much sense. On top of that he has had about 3 designed run plays this year so defenses aren't scared of playing him but the wr's. Bell back there by himself is insane and counter productive. I honestly can't tell much difference between our offense scheme this year than last year and the Qbs couldn't be any more different.

If a QB can't make the reads and make the throws, there is no magic formation or play calling to fix it. This isn't the wishbone and 1970's. I agree there are things to try to compensate, but compensating for a weakness is not going to win the conference. The QB must be effective in throwing the ball whether it's Bell or TK or KT. The big12 winner will have a QB effective at throwing the ball, guaranteed.

ObiKaTony
10/18/2013, 12:17 PM
If a QB can't make the reads and make the throws, there is no magic formation or play calling to fix it. This isn't the wishbone and 1970's. I agree there are things to try to compensate, but compensating for a weakness is not going to win the conference. The QB must be effective in throwing the ball whether it's Bell or TK or KT. The big12 winner will have a QB effective at throwing the ball, guaranteed.

Landry was effective at throwing the ball, however, the man has zero pocket presence along with the escapeability of a turtle in the middle of I40. It's more than throws, it's about scheme. I see very little difference in the offense we ran last year with a statue vs a decent mobil qb this year...

BoulderSooner79
10/18/2013, 12:43 PM
Landry was effective at throwing the ball, however, the man has zero pocket presence along with the escapeability of a turtle in the middle of I40. It's more than throws, it's about scheme. I see very little difference in the offense we ran last year with a statue vs a decent mobil qb this year...

I didn't say throwing was enough. Have you heard the phrase "necessary but not sufficient"? But LJ skills were enough to win the conference if combined with an effective running game and defense. So far, we haven't seen that from either Bell or TK. I won't say we would have beaten UT with LJ this year, but they would have had to do it with a different defense. He would have ripped their D with his intermediate throws and forced them back away from the receivers a bit.

We don't need a QB that can throw as well as LJ, especially since we do run better this year. But we do need a guy that can make the throws that are there. Someone to perform at least as well as say, Case McCoy did against us? He presented no running threat, but he backed a strong running game with accurate throws in the seam and hit the 2 deep routes when he got 1 on 1 coverage. So I'm not talking about Heisman level capabilities here.

ObiKaTony
10/18/2013, 01:14 PM
Nothing to argue about there:

Out scheme still sucks though.

8timechamps
10/18/2013, 01:34 PM
He's dual threat.

You have to view it from a defensive coordinator's standpoint. He can throw, and he can run.

I think the fact that we saw so much of him while LJ was at OU, we forget he's only started 4 games. He'll get better, but no question he struggled last week. He wasn't alone though, and that shouldn't be forgotten.

SoonerMarkVA
10/18/2013, 01:43 PM
Was tebow? The read option and the threat of him running opened up the passing game instead of him threading the needle. Defenses realize this and Texas played up not worried at all Blake would scramble or call his own run..

Yeah, I'm not getting the hesitance to let Bell be Bell, at all. The Tebow UF offense is the blueprint. Bell is a stronger runner *and* better passer than Tebow. Why saddle him with a Landry Jones offense?

Soonerjeepman
10/18/2013, 01:50 PM
because JH doesn't know anything else?

cvsooner
10/18/2013, 01:57 PM
Bell is either hurting, or the coaches are really afraid of him getting hurt and having to go with Knight/Thompson the rest of the way, or just don't know how to use him properly. Maybe a bit of all three.

ObiKaTony
10/18/2013, 08:33 PM
Bell is either hurting, or the coaches are really afraid of him getting hurt and having to go with Knight/Thompson the rest of the way, or just don't know how to use him properly. Maybe a bit of all three.

If your getting your *** kicked by Texas in the first half doesn't 'open up' te offense I don't know what will. I have very little faith in our coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball, as I did with the defensive side of ball till mike got there. If it ain't working, get rid of the staff...

SoonerorLater
10/18/2013, 08:53 PM
My take is that Bell is just limited in what he can do. He isn't a good passer and he is too slow/ not quick enough to be an effective dual threat type guy. At this point 4 years in, if he isn't an accurate passer he most likely never will be. He can be somewhat effective in a power run type offense and may be able to use that to set up play action passes. What I saw last weekend was a QB that had happy feet like Landry without close to the same passing skill.

If I were coaching this team I would give TK another chance to see what he can do. We know he can be effective in a read option type game. If TK just can't throw down field with any accuracy I say give KT a shot.

birddog
10/19/2013, 12:37 AM
Trevor, Kendal, Cody, Justice. If one of them can't get it done we're in trouble for many years.
Blake's no doubt a good leader and was mentioned as being a gamer. I'd just like him to take off more when blocking breaks down. The corners are 20 yrs downfield and Blake would doze over them pretty easily. Right now he doesn't fit what they're trying to do but he does have a lot of room to grow into his strengths and learn to use his big body to make plays out of nothing

cherokeebrewer
10/19/2013, 07:06 AM
I think it's much too soon to be passing judgement on Blake Bell. He could use the help of his teammates. It's still a team game and his WR's have not helped much the last 2 games, plus last Saturday's 'game plan' seemed to do everything possible to avoid the weakness in UT's defense...

ObiKaTony
10/19/2013, 07:38 AM
I think it's much too soon to be passing judgement on Blake Bell. He could use the help of his teammates. It's still a team game and his WR's have not helped much the last 2 games, plus last Saturday's 'game plan' seemed to do everything possible to avoid the weakness in UT's defense...

Agreed!

Wasn't there reports that Thompson was the one with the most talent? Many people told me that he was out-performing both knight and bell. Either wqy stoops has had a very good record, but I still feel our offensive scheme isn't going to help any of them grow. So unless that is changed, I don't see much hope...

Rogue
10/19/2013, 12:19 PM
Bell isn't fast enough to be a full time run threat and hasn't thrown well enough to be much of a passing threat. So, he's well suited for one specific package...the Belldozer plays with an occasional chuck to a wide open TE.

dennis580
10/19/2013, 01:20 PM
He is a duel threat QB like Collin Klein that needs 20 carries a game.

dennis580
10/19/2013, 01:29 PM
Bell isn't fast enough to be a full time run threat and hasn't thrown well enough to be much of a passing threat. So, he's well suited for one specific package...the Belldozer plays with an occasional chuck to a wide open TE.

Yes he is if we give him 20 carries, and pound him between the tackles like K. St did with Collen Klein.