PDA

View Full Version : How many more years would you give Stoops before it is time to throw the hammer down.

LakeRat
10/14/2013, 03:28 PM
We are 14 years in between, at least(Personally I don't see us being a title contender until 2016). If it is 2030 and no title... 2020... 2040... When if ever does he feel heat?

Breadburner
10/14/2013, 03:30 PM
O jesus.....!!!

8timechamps
10/14/2013, 03:31 PM
Already a thread for this.

LakeRat
10/14/2013, 03:33 PM
I wanted a poll for it 8 time

cherokeebrewer
10/14/2013, 03:48 PM
So now we have 2 dumb threads...Bob is right up there with Bud & Barry. A loss to the horns and this place goes nuts.

picasso
10/14/2013, 03:51 PM
I say 3.4 semesters.

Tear Down This Wall
10/14/2013, 03:53 PM
Honestly? If we go past the 14 year no national title win drought that matches 1986-1999. This is year 13. So, this year and next. If no title this year or next, get someone else in here - who knows how to recruit defensive linemen - for 2015.

Our longest drought after that is 17 seasons, 1957-73. With no great defensive tackle on the roster now, and none on the horizon, giving Bob the time to match 17 title-less seasons would mean four more years after this. Anyone else want to wait four more years for a title shot?

(Again, not saying we won't win a few Big 12 titles during that span. But, the question is, where is the bar set? The years are slipping past.)

8timechamps
10/14/2013, 03:54 PM
I say 3.4 semesters.

Did you factor in the next leap year?

SoonerKnight
10/14/2013, 03:59 PM
HA! This is for real? What a joke!

Tear Down This Wall
10/14/2013, 04:01 PM
So now we have 2 dumb threads...Bob is right up there with Bud & Barry. A loss to the horns and this place goes nuts.

Not really. Bud and Barry have three national titles. So, you can hold off on putting Bob into the Bud/Barry category.

And, it's not just a loss to the 'Horns. It was a Gary Gibbs-type loss to the 'Horns: us ranked, them unranked. That's Gary Gibbs 1989-1992.

I'd rank Bob ahead of Gibbs, for sure, but easily a couple of notches below Barry and Bud.

Think about this. We say we had two top defenders out and that was a problem. Well, on Saturday, so did Texas. Their best LB (sadly) Jordan Hicks...and a starting DB (Hemroid Evans...or something like that). Still we couldn't throw on 'em or keep 'em off Bell.

What Bob did Saturday was pull his pants down on national television and p*iss into the wind.

picasso
10/14/2013, 04:10 PM
Bud and Barry were also in a different era. No scholly limits and money under the table.
Bob lacks the titles but he's won a crapload of games.

BoulderSooner79
10/14/2013, 04:27 PM
No such thing as a lifetime contract, but Bob's got a pretty long leash. He would have to pull a UT-ish 5-7 to quickly burn up that leash. I see him staying until he gets tired of the grind in 3-5years.

I also wouldn't measure time since last national title because there are too many factors outside a coaches control - including luck. And you can't use Saban as a counter example because Bama needed massive luck just to get in the title game the last 2 years. I would measure time since he had a title contender and that was '08. Another measure is how often he fields a title contender and that's where you can look Bama's way. If you often field an elite team, luck will eventually fall your way. This is also the area where OU has faded in recent years and it seems directly related to recruiting/talent.

SoonerorLater
10/14/2013, 05:35 PM
Right off the bat - I'm not saying anything like fire Bob Stoops. This is one of those threads you have to lead with your chin.

At a program like Oklahoma or any of the other perennial power schools I have sort of a yardstick I would go by

Did you challenge for a championship last year?
Are you challenging for a championship this year?
Does it appear you have the team to challenge for a championship next year?

If the answer to all of these are no then I would say it is something that needs to be addressed by the administration. (no, not necessarily firing anybody). Some people would find that to be unreasonable but I can assure you where I have worked through the years if you book more than three mediocre years you would be having a similar conversation. No reason for coaches to play by different rules.

olevetonahill
10/14/2013, 05:44 PM
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZfRtGyxcETV6bTiYj1Qh_2iqMib9vK ZnUkXvLSvmi8Yn5kr806Q

BoulderSooner79
10/14/2013, 05:48 PM
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZfRtGyxcETV6bTiYj1Qh_2iqMib9vK ZnUkXvLSvmi8Yn5kr806Q

I was wearing a suit like that before it was popular.

cherokeebrewer
10/14/2013, 06:12 PM
Not really. Bud and Barry have three national titles. So, you can hold off on putting Bob into the Bud/Barry category.

And, it's not just a loss to the 'Horns. It was a Gary Gibbs-type loss to the 'Horns: us ranked, them unranked. That's Gary Gibbs 1989-1992.

I'd rank Bob ahead of Gibbs, for sure, but easily a couple of notches below Barry and Bud.

Well, since he's gonna pass Bud & Barry in all-time wins for one of the most storied football programs in history, I'd say he's already in their category. Yes, it was a crushing defeat Saturday in so many ways, but he's put a few humiliating beat downs on the horns also.

Did Gibbs ever beat Texas?

It's always..."What have you done for me lately" after a bad loss.

cleller
10/14/2013, 09:13 PM
I fully expect Stoops to leave, of his own accord, within 5 years. Don't think he's the type to overstay ala Mack.

LakeRat
10/15/2013, 02:21 PM
Well, since he's gonna pass Bud & Barry in all-time wins for one of the most storied football programs in history, I'd say he's already in their category. Yes, it was a crushing defeat Saturday in so many ways, but he's put a few humiliating beat downs on the horns also.

Did Gibbs ever beat Texas?

It's always..."What have you done for me lately" after a bad loss.

Lately?? That was the point of my thread. Bob is a great coach, top 20 coach in the nation. But at what point equals lately for you? 14 years is lately for me.

I have been a huge Bob supporter and extremely appreciative of what he has done. But when did we start becoming aggie and ok with a 3-4 loss season and no hope of that changing in the next 3-4 seasons?

swardboy
10/15/2013, 02:25 PM
Judging by the house he built, I'd say Bob is in for life...in his mind.

And that's the statement he wanted to make by building it.

Ridiculous:

Bob Stoops
13–0

1st (South)
W Orange (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Orange_Bowl)†

Bob Stoops
11–2

2nd (South)
W Cotton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Cotton_Bowl_Classic)

Bob Stoops
12–2

T-1st (South)
W Rose (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Rose_Bowl)†

Bob Stoops
12–2

1st (South)
L Sugar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Sugar_Bowl)†

Bob Stoops
12–1

1st (South)
L Orange (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Orange_Bowl)†

Bob Stoops
8–4

2nd (South)
W Holiday (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Holiday_Bowl)

Bob Stoops
11–3

1st (South)
L Fiesta (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Fiesta_Bowl)†

Bob Stoops
11–3

1st (South)
L Fiesta (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Fiesta_Bowl)†

Bob Stoops
12–2

T-1st (South)
L BCS National Championship Game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_BCS_National_Championship_Game)†

Bob Stoops
8–5

4th (South)
W Sun (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Sun_Bowl)

Bob Stoops
12–2

1st (South)
W Fiesta (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Fiesta_Bowl)†

Bob Stoops
10–3

T-3rd
W Insight (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Insight_Bowl)

Bob Stoops
10–3

T-1st
L Cotton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Cotton_Bowl_Classic)

Bob Stoops

cherokeebrewer
10/15/2013, 02:40 PM
Lately?? That was the point of my thread. Bob is a great coach, top 20 coach in the nation. But at what point equals lately for you? 14 years is lately for me.

I have been a huge Bob supporter and extremely appreciative of what he has done. But when did we start becoming aggie and ok with a 3-4 loss season and no hope of that changing in the next 3-4 seasons?

I'm not ok with it, but what is your answer to the 'problem'?...fire Bob and hire someone better? It's easy to complain, solutions are more difficult.

SoonerKnight
10/15/2013, 02:47 PM
I hope we can find another coach that can only have 33 losses in 15 year. Can't be hard! No not at all! :rolleyes:

Bourbon St Sooner
10/15/2013, 02:53 PM
I remember during the Kelvin Sampson days arguing with numbskulls who wanted Sampson gone after another 2nd round tournament loss. Careful what you wish for.

But, but OU football isn't OU basketball. Yep, and Nebraska and Notre Dame football isn't OU basketball either. That hasn't stopped them from being turned down by their first four choices the last few times they've hired a coach and ending up with the likes of Bill Callahan or Charlie Weiss.

SoonerorLater
10/15/2013, 03:02 PM
I remember during the Kelvin Sampson days arguing with numbskulls who wanted Sampson gone after another 2nd round tournament loss. Careful what you wish for.

But, but OU football isn't OU basketball. Yep, and Nebraska and Notre Dame football isn't OU basketball either. That hasn't stopped them from being turned down by their first four choices the last few times they've hired a coach and ending up with the likes of Bill Callahan or Charlie Weiss.

Can't let fear of failure prevent you from always striving for an upward trajectory. For the Nebraska's and Notre Dames there are the Alabama's and Florida's. That said I wouldn't have any idea who would be better than Bob Stoops but there are people paid to make constant evaluations.

Bourbon St Sooner
10/15/2013, 03:13 PM
Can't let fear of failure prevent you from always striving for an upward trajectory. For the Nebraska's and Notre Dames there are the Alabama's and Florida's. That said I wouldn't have any idea who would be better than Bob Stoops but there are people paid to make constant evaluations.

I love Florida's last hire. They definitely got their man, and the one they deserve.

How many sh!tty hires did bama go through before they lucked out and found Saban wanting to sneak out of the NFL? I mean, maybe Chip Kelly hates the NFL and wants out and hates the color orange and hates the weather out in LA. So there is that hope.

LakeRat
10/15/2013, 03:31 PM
"Can't let fear of failure prevent you from always striving for an upward trajectory." Love this!!!

SoonerorLater
10/15/2013, 03:34 PM
I love Florida's last hire. They definitely got their man, and the one they deserve.

How many sh!tty hires did bama go through before they lucked out and found Saban wanting to sneak out of the NFL? I mean, maybe Chip Kelly hates the NFL and wants out and hates the color orange and hates the weather out in LA. So there is that hope.

You are exactly right but Alabama's dogged refusal to accept anything less than an NC caliber team has paid off huge. If you have to go through a decade of trial and error and even some losing seasons to hit the jackpot then you made a good move. Florida has done almost as good. They won 2 NC's since we have won any. IMO it's time for Florida to look for a new HC. This one isn't working.

IMO most schools don't pull the trigger fast enough. You can pretty much tell with a good level of certainty if a coach is going to be that world-beater type coach within 3 years. Just like the two guys you named. Unfortunately there aren't any guarantees and there is no real way to tell except trudge ahead. You just have to be willing to go out on a limb if you want to grab the brass ring.

jkjsooner
10/15/2013, 03:45 PM

Gibbs losing those years wouldn't have been a big deal if he would have beaten Texas every once in a while. At that point he'd never beaten Texas (despite going in as the favorite every single year) and ended up going 1-5 against mediocre Texas teams.

One year Texas just jumped on us and looked like the better team. The others we made mistakes and, worse, played an incredibly conservative gameplan just waiting for Texas to come back and beat us at the end. It wasn't that we lost the games but how we lost them. Unlike Bob, Gibbs was an ex-defensive coordinator who didn't think offenses needed to score points. (How do you think that would work on in today's game?)

jkjsooner
10/15/2013, 03:57 PM
Can't let fear of failure prevent you from always striving for an upward trajectory.

That's fine but failure can have long term consequences. If you fire a coach who is still winning 10 games a year, you're likely to not get a lot of applicants to fill that position. Who would walk into that? Every time you change coaches it has a huge negative impact on recruiting. Then of course if you get the wrong one you might put your program back for years if not a decade.

You're little statement sounds great but you have to deal with reality as well.

jkjsooner
10/15/2013, 04:06 PM
You are exactly right but Alabama's dogged refusal to accept anything less than an NC caliber team has paid off huge.

Alabama went 4-9, 6-6, 10-2, and 6-7 under Shula. I wouldn't say that they "refused to accept anything less than a national championship."

More likely, early firing of previous coaches led to those disastrous seasons. (Given, Franchione left on his own - which is another concern. We know Stoops is loyal. We can't be sure about the next guy. If a guy can leave Alabama or Florida to go to another school then they can leave OU.)

Crimson Kid
10/15/2013, 04:12 PM
This fool says bob is quitting after the season is over.
https://twitter.com/ibnincarcerated/status/389169074904645632

SoonerorLater
10/15/2013, 04:38 PM
That's fine but failure can have long term consequences. If you fire a coach who is still winning 10 games a year, you're likely to not get a lot of applicants to fill that position. Who would walk into that? Every time you change coaches it has a huge negative impact on recruiting. Then of course if you get the wrong one you might put your program back for years if not a decade.

You're little statement sounds great but you have to deal with reality as well.

It's not trite. You have to do it intelligently of course. Really all you need to determine is if your current coach is going to be the kind of guy to win it all as to whether a coaching change is in order. If Stoops is that guy then great. I just don't happen to think he is though it's certainly not impossible. More than one reason to think that. In today's college football you have to have an almost insanely driven, workaholic coach who is willing to walk the edge of rules and ethics and occasionally cross over that line to win football games. ie, Saban, Kelly, Meyer. That's the reality and unless you have that type of guy at the helm you will be laboring in mediocrity.

A 10 win season and a trip to a bowl game in and of itself just doesn't cut it at a program like OU. If it was at someplace like Arizona you would be ecstatic. If you had a record like Stoops at someplace like North Carolina St. you would end up having a stadium named after you.

I think Stoops is a good coach. I think Stoops runs a clean program but I am not confident that he can bring us another National Championship. I just don't think he is ruthless enough. Winning championships is all that matters as it pertains to college football.

Tear Down This Wall
10/15/2013, 04:50 PM
Our problem, on this board, is that we think there is no one the caliber of Bob Stoops out there. Yet, we've seen Nick Saban go from Michigan State to LSU to Alabama (after a swim through the NFL). Urban Meyer has gone from Florida to Ohio State.

Oklahoma is a cherry coaching job that would interest the top coaches in the country. The same will be true at Texas following this season.

Our problem, in the administration, is that making money now comes before winning.

UteSooner
10/15/2013, 05:05 PM
Oklahoma is a cherry coaching job that would interest the top coaches in the country. The same will be true at Texas following this season.

It's a safe bet that Texas will cycle through a few coaches before they find their man.....and if they really expect Urban Meyer/Nick Saban.....well they've only had one coach like that in their whole history....so chances are slim they'll see another anytime soon.

UteSooner
10/15/2013, 05:25 PM
Conference championships have to be the standard. Too many uncontrolable variables in the NC race...and don't tell me about going undefeated to ensure you're there...even Saban's only done that once. As long as you are winning conference championships you will be in the mix on your "up" years. That's all you can do. Bob's done that.

Now going forward that standard will obviously have to change. In basketball you always pay attention to "final four appearances" in addition to conference and national championships. I'd have to think it'll become the same for football under the new system. Making the final four will obviously have to be expected more often then national championships are today....and not making it that far will probably cost jobs at places like OU (although I think the playoff will expand before it's an issue). But again, I think if you are consistently getting conference titles from a power league (Big 12 jokes aside), you will regularly end up in the final four.

ashley
10/15/2013, 07:14 PM
We have jr. hi. basketball coaches on her trying to for BS for heavens sake.

Bourbon St Sooner
10/16/2013, 09:19 AM
Our problem, on this board, is that we think there is no one the caliber of Bob Stoops out there. Yet, we've seen Nick Saban go from Michigan State to LSU to Alabama (after a swim through the NFL). Urban Meyer has gone from Florida to Ohio State.

Our problem, in the administration, is that making money now comes before winning.

Alabama lucked into Saban because he was done with the NFL and needed a landing spot and Bama was the best job open then. Ohio State got Meyer because he was sitting at home and was an Ohio guy who always wanted to coach there when their job came out. Maybe we can luck out like those programs or maybe we end up like other "plum" programs like Nebraska, Miami and Notre Dame that have recently ended up with their 4th or 5th choice. Never mind if we fired Stoops this year that we'd be out looking for that guy at the same time the suc and texass are looking for coaches.

Look we all want to win championships, I just happen to agree with Ute. The fact that Stoops made the changes he made last year shows that he recognized this program wasn't going in the right direction. I like the new guys he brought in and I happen to think the fastest route to another championship is to give these guys a couple of years in spite of that sh!t performance last Saturday. So I guess I'll just agree to disagree.

Rogue
10/19/2013, 12:21 PM
I'm only in this thread so I can rate it 1 star. Stop it, just stop it. It's honestly not even a legitimate question.

Jacie
10/19/2013, 03:02 PM
If we go 5-7, this year?

LakeRat
10/19/2013, 04:24 PM
I'm only in this thread so I can rate it 1 star. Stop it, just stop it. It's honestly not even a legitimate question.

So your good if we never win another NC... Great... Go be a DICK somewhere else!

Rogue
10/19/2013, 05:46 PM
So your good if we never win another NC... Great... Go be a DICK somewhere else!

Someone must've told you "there are no dumb questions." Don't listen to them anymore.

GottaHavePride
10/19/2013, 05:59 PM
Unlike Bob, Gibbs was an ex-defensive coordinator who didn't think offenses needed to score points.

Um, Bob WAS a DC at Florida...

Okie35
10/19/2013, 06:08 PM
Who's better to hire?

Piware
10/19/2013, 06:09 PM
Seriously?? We have lost one freakin' game this season. We are not awesome but we are not completely terrible either. Having a flashback about Frank Solich and Nebraska ~ how did that work out for them?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/19/2013, 06:22 PM

The counterpoint to your arguments are these 3 schools -> Nebraska, Florida, Michigan.

SoonerorLater
10/19/2013, 06:30 PM
The counterpoint to your arguments are these 3 schools -> Nebraska, Florida, Michigan.

I would counter that the problem isn't necessarily that they decided to make a coaching change but rather who they selected. You would never go into this without great thought and research. Still a crapshoot but you just have to take chances if you want to get to the top of the mountain.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/19/2013, 06:39 PM
I would counter that the problem isn't necessarily that they decided to make a coaching change but rather who they selected. You would never go into this without great thought and research. Still a crapshoot but you just have to take chances if you want to get to the top of the mountain.

Yes, but people only list the teams like Alabama that were successful, not the teams that gambled and lost (which is most of them). Given our history, you'd think fans would be much more comfortable with keeping Stoops then risking another Gibbs/Smelly/Blake DECADE.

How long did it take Osborne to win a National Title?

SoonerorLater
10/19/2013, 06:59 PM
Yes, but people only list the teams like Alabama that were successful, not the teams that gambled and lost (which is most of them). Given our history, you'd think fans would be much more comfortable with keeping Stoops then risking another Gibbs/Smelly/Blake DECADE.

How long did it take Osborne to win a National Title?

Osborne never spent much time out of the championship hunt and he played in the same conference with what is considered the best team of the 1970's.

The closest comparison I can think of to the thought of replacing Stoops is Mike Bellotti at Oregon. He wasn't exactly fired but the powers that be moved him out to an AD job which he left very quickly. Oregon replaced the winningest coach in their history. It was a risk at the time but one that paid off.

Plexis22
10/19/2013, 07:54 PM
We are stuck with Stoops until he wants to leave. Either he'll make the changes necessary to get OU back to the elite, which is very possible over the next few years, or we'll endure good but not great seasons for the next ? years. I dont see him staying past 20 years though which would be 2019.

Temujin
10/19/2013, 08:10 PM
I don't care either way. I used to, but I suppose I've gotten somewhat used to disappointment with him. I like Bob in a lot of ways, but his weaknesses are pretty well established. The good thing, to me, is that one of his weaknesses, stubbornness with staffing changes, seems to have been addressed the last couple of years. He's still stubborn in a lot of other areas, but it's still encouraging.

The lost to Texas stings, but after watching multiple teams roll up yardage on the ground on us...even KU...and watching Heupel trip over his shoelaces with the offense, it should have been predictable.

The most concerning thing to me (besides the OC issues) is recruiting, especially on both lines.

olevetonahill
10/19/2013, 08:22 PM

If I be a DICK will you bend over and accept me?

LakeRat
10/19/2013, 11:19 PM
Osborne never spent much time out of the championship hunt and he played in the same conference with what is considered the best team of the 1970's.

The closest comparison I can think of to the thought of replacing Stoops is Mike Bellotti at Oregon. He wasn't exactly fired but the powers that be moved him out to an AD job which he left very quickly. Oregon replaced the winningest coach in their history. It was a risk at the time but one that paid off.

I would add/... Florida State, I would look at Ohio State, I would look at Arizona, I would look at Texas A&M, I would look at Texas Tech... More than one or two examples of people getting rid of highly successful coaches...

LakeRat
10/19/2013, 11:21 PM
If I be a DICK will you bend over and accept me? With you being a Vet and this comment, I am wondering whether or not you would be better in Stillwater?

LakeRat
10/19/2013, 11:24 PM
Someone must've told you "there are no dumb questions." Don't listen to them anymore.

good call... so questioning when something isn't working is a bad question. I get it. Go somewhere else *******. If your this bored that you can't enter into a legit conversation than screw you.