PDA

View Full Version : Jordan Phillips out for year. (Back Surgery)

ousooners182
10/14/2013, 12:16 PM
Per Stoops press conference:

STOOPS: "Jordan Phillips is going to have surgery tomorrow which will end his season." Stoops notes chronic back issue that isn't improving.

:(

Soonerjeepman
10/14/2013, 12:20 PM
I've had bad back issues...it sucks.

Now, the question is, after ut gang raped our dline...do we go to 4-2-5?

colleyvillesooner
10/14/2013, 01:17 PM
Wow. So from might play on sat to out for the year.

SoonerMarkVA
10/14/2013, 03:08 PM
Can a DT situation be any worse than what we've had since Gerald McCoy left? Our first guy to really become an impact player since, and suddenly he's out! And if his issues are chronic, it's going to be really hard for him to come back.

picasso
10/14/2013, 03:10 PM
Awful news. Especially adter how he's played this season.

BoulderSooner79
10/14/2013, 03:11 PM
Can we blame Schmitty?

Tear Down This Wall
10/14/2013, 03:39 PM
Well, Kerrick Huggins is at Trinity Valley, so he's out.

Time to pull the redshirt off of one of those guys we stole from Louisiana-Lafayette and North Texas:
http://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/football/recruiting/player-Matthew-Romar-128343;_ylt=Aoo7nS_NWOa.OX2AwKfDx6CWtJB4
http://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/football/recruiting/player-Charles-Walker-132243;_ylt=AujfVkwbtwNTvxA0ITmPjCaWtJB4

And, New Mexico also for Walker. Can't forget that it was UNM and us he visited.

Big time DT recruits last year, let me tell you. Tough to wrestle 'em away from the mid-majors after they've seen Albuquerque up close and personal. Guess the balloon fest just doesn't mean as much to the big city kids as it used to. Egg on Bob Davie's face...and, a fine job our recruiters did of filling a gap we knew would be thin in 2013.

8timechamps
10/14/2013, 03:41 PM

Time to pull the redshirt off of one of those guys we stole from Louisiana-Lafayette and North Texas:
http://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/football/recruiting/player-Matthew-Romar-128343;_ylt=Aoo7nS_NWOa.OX2AwKfDx6CWtJB4
http://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/football/recruiting/player-Charles-Walker-132243;_ylt=AujfVkwbtwNTvxA0ITmPjCaWtJB4

And, New Mexico also for Walker. Can't forget that it was UNM and us he visited.

Big time DT recruits last year, let me tell you. Tough to wrestle 'em away from the mid-majors after they've seen Albuquerque up close and personal. Guess the balloon fest just doesn't mean as much to the big city kids as it used to. Egg on Bob Davie's face...and, a fine job our recruiters did of filling a gap we knew would be thin in 2013.

Feel free to send Jackie Shipp a thank you note.

Tear Down This Wall
10/14/2013, 04:07 PM
I'd like to. But, I have a hard time believing that each coach acts alone in recruiting while Bob Stoops just sits at home on his couch eating popcorn, drinking Tang, and watching re-runs of The Jeffersons.

Who is the recruiting coordinator? Gundy?

8timechamps
10/14/2013, 05:22 PM
I'd like to. But, I have a hard time believing that each coach acts alone in recruiting while Bob Stoops just sits at home on his couch eating popcorn, drinking Tang, and watching re-runs of The Jeffersons.

Who is the recruiting coordinator? Gundy?

Maybe you should research the recruiting process. It's not hard to believe that each position coach has an assigned area, and it's their responsibility to take care of the players they (along with the other coaches) have agreed to offer. There is no way every coach could take the time needed to follow and recruit every kid out there. It's not possible.

Stoops has the overall final say, and some of the responsibility lies with him, but to think he's on the front lines with the position coaches is just not the case. Jackie Shipp is the biggest reason our DT situation is the way it is currently. Stoops addressed that in the off-season.

Can we wait until the season ends before we start blaming everyone? I know you want to put everything on Stoops, but maybe, just maybe, you're having a bit of a knee jerk reaction to one loss.

TXBOOMER
10/14/2013, 06:55 PM
I am sick of us having no depth. Corey Nelson goes down and the D goes from above average to last years model. The recruiting ain't what it used to be. We needed Phillips back. I wish him the best in rehab.

Soonerus
10/14/2013, 06:57 PM
That's bad, back to a defense similar to the last two years and an inferior offense...

Breadburner
10/14/2013, 07:27 PM
Can we blame Schmitty?

They are on another board.....!!

Therealsouthsider
10/14/2013, 09:56 PM
....maybe we could tie 3 wideouts together and make a DT

....p.s. get well soon Jordan Phillips!
ss

Soonerjeepman
10/14/2013, 10:00 PM
....maybe we could tie 3 wideouts together and make a DT

....p.s. get well soon Jordan Phillips!
ss

now THAT is funny....

Curly Bill
10/14/2013, 10:02 PM
Maybe you should research the recruiting process. It's not hard to believe that each position coach has an assigned area, and it's their responsibility to take care of the players they (along with the other coaches) have agreed to offer. There is no way every coach could take the time needed to follow and recruit every kid out there. It's not possible.

Stoops has the overall final say, and some of the responsibility lies with him, but to think he's on the front lines with the position coaches is just not the case. Jackie Shipp is the biggest reason our DT situation is the way it is currently. Stoops addressed that in the off-season.

Can we wait until the season ends before we start blaming everyone? I know you want to put everything on Stoops, but maybe, just maybe, you're having a bit of a knee jerk reaction to one loss.

Haha, that's funny!

8timechamps
10/14/2013, 10:51 PM
Haha, that's funny!

I know it's a lot to ask.

OU_Sooners75
10/14/2013, 11:10 PM

Let's be fair here. Walker was injury plagued in his early HS years. So there wasn't a lot of information about him. But he was a monster when he was healthy.

Hopefully he will be a good one for OU.

So instead of just reading the articles try to actually learn what happened with him.

We went from a 2 star to a high 3 star in a span of a few months before signing with OU.

Oh and Romar...well I'm sure he was added for depth purposes. But don't sleep on him either!

OU_Sooners75
10/14/2013, 11:17 PM
BTW, im glad our coaches are not recruiting "stars" as in recruiting stars. But rather, recruiting what they see in a kid. How many 5* has OU had that were busts? How many 2* and 3* have had successful careers at OU?

5* Jeremie Calhoun. Bust
5* justin Johnson. Bust
3* Sam Bradford Heisman.
3* Trent Williams 1st round draft pick.

Recruiting isn't an exact science. So don't just look at how many stars a recruiting service is giving them. Recruiting services are often wrong!

Therealsouthsider
10/14/2013, 11:19 PM
....I distinctly remember a walkon who became OU's starting running back in the not to distant past

ss

OU_Sooners75
10/14/2013, 11:21 PM
I am sick of us having no depth. Corey Nelson goes down and the D goes from above average to last years model. The recruiting ain't what it used to be. We needed Phillips back. I wish him the best in rehab.

Where did it go to last years model?

Lmao...I swear some of you bitch without the slightest bit of knowledge.

the defense played well enough for OU to win had the offense done their part.

Yes, they gave up a lot of yards rushing. But outside of two big pass plays they stopped the Texas offense from scoring TDs.

2 offensive touchdowns were given up (both passing). A punt return TD. A pick 6. That's 27 (1 missed XP). The other 9 came from FGs, none from inside the redzone.

Tear Down This Wall
10/15/2013, 11:18 AM
Why are you guys talking about running backs? The discussion is the defense being shredded by the run the past couple of season, and our lack of depth on the line.

As far as Gundy, that a walk on had to replace all of his highly ranked recruits should tell you something about Gundy. And, his best runner, Roy Finch, is on the bench for most of the games anyway.

Tear Down This Wall
10/15/2013, 11:23 AM

I posted for you examples of this year's commits who are ranked the same as the one Jackie brought in. Montgomery isn't doing any better on the recruiting trail.

We are not in the game for the same kids Alabama is going after on the defensive line. We are fighting the fight against the Houstons and North Texases of the world...and, that is stupid.
'
It would be different if we had commits from some of the top defensive tackles and ends. We don't. We're not even on their lists, which shows me we are barking up the wrong trees...still.

So, it will come down to this. Yes, Stoops will continue to win the majority of his games against the Kansases, Baylors, Iowa States, and Texas Techs of the world. He will continue to win this soft conference's title every other year or so.

But, as far as competing for a national title again, those days will be gone.

OUster
10/15/2013, 11:39 AM
I miss the big fella in the middle as much as anyone on the board...it hurt and I knew it before the game started. However, prior to Saturday, the consensus was that our defense was top 10. No one was bitching. We had shut down ND, with the exception of one long run. We had annihilated TCU the first half of the game. We lost our clog in the middle against an equally talented O-line on Saturday. If I were UT's coach, I would have run right at the middle with my horses, also. It worked for them, as it should have. We didn't have the depth ready to step up, as most of us knew before Saturday. I don't understand, why is this such a great enigma now that it has happened?...So much so, that heads need to roll and the program is doomed? Fellas, QR won't be ready until next year...he got here way to late. Peterson will be a senior. Wade will be be bigger and better and he is already over 300 plus. Phillips will be back...all this and remember, we have three Freshman that nobody has talked about on the D-Line in Bomar, Huggins and Walker. They're supposed to be pretty good. Our D-line is going to get stronger.

The very young linebackers will be seasoned and Nelson may come back. The WR's are still young and will learn how to separate - plus, we have three guys coming that are around 6'5. OUr defensive secondary will be back, mostly intact. Bell will have a year under his belt and so will the backups...all who never saw any snaps before this year. I hate to say it, but things look very, very good for the future. Before Saturday, when the season started...everyone said we are a two, possibly a three loss team this year...why has everyone forgotten that? Because we over-acheived at the beginning? I was at the game on Saturday in the Cotton Bowl with my buddies. I HATED walking out of there with our collective heads hanging low in front of elated Tea Sippers. OU fans can choose to bitch about it, all I know is that if I wake up tomorrow, I will still be a fan and OU will always be OU. We have been the most consistent program in the past 60-70 years. That isn't going to change because we lost Saturday.

Tear Down This Wall
10/15/2013, 04:46 PM
Huggins did not qualify. The other two are what they are...not ready for prime time. They may have started at Louisiana-Lafayette or North Texas, the others schools who offered them. They will sit here for two or three years, then possibly transfer to Sam Houston State, like Jarrett Brown and Eric Humphrey.

8timechamps
10/15/2013, 05:48 PM
I posted for you examples of this year's commits who are ranked the same as the one Jackie brought in. Montgomery isn't doing any better on the recruiting trail.

We are not in the game for the same kids Alabama is going after on the defensive line. We are fighting the fight against the Houstons and North Texases of the world...and, that is stupid.
'
It would be different if we had commits from some of the top defensive tackles and ends. We don't. We're not even on their lists, which shows me we are barking up the wrong trees...still.

So, it will come down to this. Yes, Stoops will continue to win the majority of his games against the Kansases, Baylors, Iowa States, and Texas Techs of the world. He will continue to win this soft conference's title every other year or so.

But, as far as competing for a national title again, those days will be gone.

I'm finished trying to have a discussion with you. That comment tells me all I need to know.

What's stupid is to grade a class 3 months before it's complete.

OUster
10/15/2013, 08:59 PM
Huggins did not qualify. The other two are what they are...not ready for prime time. They may have started at Louisiana-Lafayette or North Texas, the others schools who offered them. They will sit here for two or three years, then possibly transfer to Sam Houston State, like Jarrett Brown and Eric Humphrey.

That would mean that unless they're four or five stars they'll amount to transfers? I don't remember Dan Cody, Charles tapper, kory Klein, Adrian Taylor, etc., exactly lighting up the star chart...we did kinda alright with those lowely recruits. I don't think that the rest of the DL behind Phillips was ready for prime time...last week. But, I'll hold out judgment on them until they're at least juniors.

8timechamps
10/16/2013, 06:42 PM
That would mean that unless they're four or five stars they'll amount to transfers? I don't remember Dan Cody, Charles tapper, kory Klein, Adrian Taylor, etc., exactly lighting up the star chart...we did kinda alright with those lowely recruits. I don't think that the rest of the DL behind Phillips was ready for prime time...last week. But, I'll hold out judgment on them until they're at least juniors.

You'll find that most casual recruiting "experts" are only worried about the star rankings. Most don't take the time to view film, and see what a recruit is all about...but, they're the first ones to bitch when the Sooners lose, and they always go straight to "recruiting".

stoopified
10/16/2013, 09:48 PM
I hate Texas and hate losing to them but I ain't throwing OUr team or coaches under the bus and writing off this season or any other.

Curly Bill
10/16/2013, 09:50 PM
I'm finished trying to have a discussion with you. That comment tells me all I need to know.

What's stupid is to grade a class 3 months before it's complete.

How about you just admit that to this point the results are not encouraging?

Curly Bill
10/16/2013, 09:55 PM
You guys are nailing it! If we could only sign more 2-star recruits we'd be killing it right now! Recruiting is indeed not an exact science, but it's pretty telling that of the big names we offer (and we are offering a lot of these guys) very few show much interest in coming to OU, and even fewer are doing it.

...but then I guess it makes some of you feel better to pretend like we REALLY wanted those 2 & 3-star guys more than the bigger names that turned us down?

Is it like asking that hot girl out and when she says no asking out the ugly girl and then pretending like you really wanted her more anyway?

sooneron
10/16/2013, 10:07 PM
Is it like asking that hot girl out and when she says no asking out the ugly girl and then pretending like you really wanted her more anyway?

Am I getting my **** sucked?

Curly Bill
10/16/2013, 10:09 PM

Yeah, but not as often. Kinda like winning when you're recruiting against Houston and North Texas, instead of Bama and LSU.

OUster
10/16/2013, 10:12 PM

Ok, funny is funny...that almost made me spit on my son!

8timechamps
10/16/2013, 10:50 PM
How about you just admit that to this point the results are not encouraging?

Because I don't believe that's even remotely close to true.

Given what we all expected coming into the season, I'd say Montgomery has done an excellent job with his coaching responsibilities. It seems everyone completely forgot that after this weekend.

As for recruiting, he's been considered an excellent recruiter long before he ever got to OU, and so far, I don't have any reason to disbelieve that.

Like I said, some people (you not included) get a hard on over the number of stars a guys has. How'd that work out for Charles Tapper, or Trey Metoyer?

8timechamps
10/16/2013, 10:53 PM
You guys are nailing it! If we could only sign more 2-star recruits we'd be killing it right now! Recruiting is indeed not an exact science, but it's pretty telling that of the big names we offer (and we are offering a lot of these guys) very few show much interest in coming to OU, and even fewer are doing it.

...but then I guess it makes some of you feel better to pretend like we REALLY wanted those 2 & 3-star guys more than the bigger names that turned us down?

Have you checked the stars for guys like Jordan Phillips and Jordan Wade?

The "we aren't getting the big name guys" excuse is tired. We get our fair share (always have), but it's what you do with them after they get here.

I guess it makes some of you feel better to consistently have a "sky is falling" attitude. Hey, whatever works for you my friend.

Curly Bill
10/16/2013, 10:57 PM
Because I don't believe that's even remotely close to true.

Given what we all expected coming into the season, I'd say Montgomery has done an excellent job with his coaching responsibilities. It seems everyone completely forgot that after this weekend.

As for recruiting, he's been considered an excellent recruiter long before he ever got to OU, and so far, I don't have any reason to disbelieve that.

Like I said, some people (you not included) get a hard on over the number of stars a guys has. How'd that work out for Charles Tapper, or Trey Metoyer?

No question there are tons of 4 & 5 stars that never pan out, but same with 2 & 3 star guys, but because nothing was expected of them no one notices or complains. What makes me laugh are the fools that seem to think we should prefer 2 & 3 star guys, that because Stoops caught lightning in the bottle back in the day with a bunch of guys like that, that we should try that again.

I'm much more concerned by whom we're recruiting against than the number of stars they have, and the fact we're beating out New Mexico, North Texas, ULM, Houston, etc...for the guys we're currently landing - well, those guys pretty much suck, so the fact they're who we're recruiting against these days may be encouraging to you, but it's sure as hell not to me.

Curly Bill
10/16/2013, 10:59 PM
Have you checked the stars for guys like Jordan Phillips and Jordan Wade?

The "we aren't getting the big name guys" excuse is tired. We get our fair share (always have), but it's what you do with them after they get here.

I guess it makes some of you feel better to consistently have a "sky is falling" attitude. Hey, whatever works for you my friend.

I know exactly what all of those guys got! I also know where this current class is standing, and I know it's not over, it'll get better, etc, etc, etc...

Right now we're behind Rutgers and Vanderbilt both - but if that comforts some people I'm good with that.

8timechamps
10/16/2013, 11:04 PM
No question there are tons of 4 & 5 stars that never pan out, but same with 2 & 3 star guys, but because nothing was expected of them no one notices or complains. What makes me laugh are the fools that seem to think we should prefer 2 & 3 star guys, that because Stoops caught lightning in the bottle back in the day with a bunch of guys like that, that we should try that again.

I'm much more concerned by whom we're recruiting against than the number of stars they have, and the fact we're beating out New Mexico, North Texas, ULM, Houston, etc...for the guys we're currently landing - well, those guys pretty much suck, so the fact they're who we're recruiting against these days may be encouraging to you, but it's sure as hell not to me.

I don't worry about their other offers either. Sure, I don't get nearly as interested in a guy that has three other offers, and they're from small schools, as I do a guy with tons of offers. But, It's not the #1 thing (in my opinion) that makes a kid the kind of player we should want. Charles Tapper is the perfect example of the kind of kid that we need. Not a big name guy, low star ranking, not a ton of offers...yet he is an athlete that can become an excellent player for us. I trust that the coaches know what they need in their system.

My argument about this class is that we have no idea what it's going to be looking like on NSD. And since there is no way to know that, using the way the class currently looks as the lone basis on one's opinion of Montgomery is goofy.

8timechamps
10/16/2013, 11:08 PM
I know exactly what all of those guys got! I also know where this current class is standing, and I know it's not over, it'll get better, etc, etc, etc...

Right now we're behind Rutgers and Vanderbilt both - but if that comforts some people I'm good with that.

It is behind Rutgers and Vandy right now, but what are the alternatives? WE could put together a real posse to hunt them down and force them to sign, or, we could wait and see how it plays out.

Curly Bill
10/16/2013, 11:13 PM
I don't worry about their other offers either. Sure, I don't get nearly as interested in a guy that has three other offers, and they're from small schools, as I do a guy with tons of offers. But, It's not the #1 thing (in my opinion) that makes a kid the kind of player we should want. Charles Tapper is the perfect example of the kind of kid that we need. Not a big name guy, low star ranking, not a ton of offers...yet he is an athlete that can become an excellent player for us. I trust that the coaches know what they need in their system.

My argument about this class is that we have no idea what it's going to be looking like on NSD. And since there is no way to know that, using the way the class currently looks as the lone basis on one's opinion of Montgomery is goofy.

I don't have any problem with Montgomery or anybody currently on staff from a recruiting standpoint. Frankly I think what they face on the trail is the perception of the program overall, and the question of why should a kid come here and kick 2-3 games a year, while he can go to Bama and company and have a better chance of their team not stepping on its collective nuts in a big game.

8timechamps
10/16/2013, 11:16 PM
I don't have any problem with Montgomery or anybody currently on staff from a recruiting standpoint. Frankly I think what they face on the trail is the perception of the program overall, and the question of why should a kid come here and kick 2-3 games a year, while he can go to Bama and company and have a better chance of their team not stepping on its collective nuts in a big game.

Recruiting in the Big XII versus recruiting in the SEC is a completely different story. But that debate doesn't include Stoops, or Montgomery, or any other coach on staff. That topic has to do with the way the BiG XII is being positioned for the future, and how it's affecting recruiting.

Curly Bill
10/16/2013, 11:21 PM
Recruiting in the Big XII versus recruiting in the SEC is a completely different story. But that debate doesn't include Stoops, or Montgomery, or any other coach on staff. That topic has to do with the way the BiG XII is being positioned for the future, and how it's affecting recruiting.

I don't blame the perception of the Big 12 as big a negative for OU as some others do. I feel like the negative perception towards OU in recruiting is a fault mostly of our own making.

In other words: if we were a powerhouse program right now, kicking butt and taking names, winning most all of the games we should, and even some we aren't favored in, then we'd be doing a lot better in recruiting. I mean: if we had it really going on I don't think kids would say (some might, but not many) I love OU, they're the bomb, but I'm not going there because they're in the Big 12.