PDA

View Full Version : There is a reason we hate Texas.

8timechamps
10/13/2013, 08:00 PM
Look, I know we were "supposed" to beat the hell out of Texas this year. I also know we did just about everything possible to lose the game Saturday. But, there is a reason this is THE game on our schedule every year. There is also a reason the term "you can throw out the records when these teams meet" has been used many times over the years in association with this game.

This wasn't the game we were "supposed" to lose, period. But, we did. And, we lost to a team, that despite looking mediocre to bad most of the year, still has extremely good talent all over it's roster. This wasn't Tech coming to Norman on a rainy night and winning.

This one hurt, because it was Texas, and because we all thought it was a "W". But, life will go on. Just today I woke up, and contrary to the way I felt, the sun came up...it's as if Saturday's game meant nothing to the rest of the world!

This is not the first time the better team lost, nor will it be the last.

The best way to get over this loss is to beat the hell outta KU, and that's what I expect to happen.

SoonerMarkVA
10/13/2013, 08:57 PM
Honestly, I don't think ut would have a loss yet if they played every game the way they played yesterday. I mean, it was not world-beater good, but it was good enough for an undefeated season of the teams they've played, including us. I guess those guys just need a bunch of disrespect to finally give them some grit and determination, because they sure aren't getting it from Mack the Clap.

okiewaker
10/13/2013, 09:31 PM
Think you pretty much summed it up!

olevetonahill
10/13/2013, 10:37 PM
Will life go on? Hell yes. I used to think the sun Rose an set on OU football. While I STILL think its the Greatest thing since Sliced bread and Shirtpockets. I aint gonna Break shat anymore over having to slice some bread fer a sammich Nor having to wear a T shirt Sans Pocket!

Mjcpr
10/13/2013, 10:55 PM

12th time under Stoops we've lost as a double digit favorite.

BoulderSooner79
10/13/2013, 11:10 PM
It not just the fact it is UT that is causing the angst. This is the annual 1st loss of the year mourning period. Even though most posters will admit they didn't think this team had BCS title potential, that hope is still on the table until that dreaded first 'L'. Then a period of mourning follows. We must go through the 5 stages of grief before letting go of this fragile glimmer of hope. RIP hope. We'll worship your offspring next season.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
10/13/2013, 11:13 PM
I don't mind losing to anyone much, as long as we fought hard and gave it our all, pulled out all the stops yet were simply beaten by a team that performed better. And as long as the refs weren't playing for the other team (see: Oregon).

I despise losing when we look unprepared and timid, playing turn out the light instead of lights out.

Which is what I saw yesterday.

Texas was fired up, we weren't. That is all.

olevetonahill
10/13/2013, 11:22 PM
I don't mind losing to anyone much, as long as we fought hard and gave it our all, pulled out all the stops yet were simply beaten by a team that performed better. And as long as the refs weren't playing for the other team (see: Oregon).

I despise losing when we look unprepared and timid, playing turn out the light instead of lights out.

You forgotted about the Refs , They was Wearin Orange undies !

BoulderSooner79
10/13/2013, 11:31 PM

Your first sentence is all well and good and I read many other posters say the same thing. But funny after a loss, no one will ever say we played hard and were just beaten by a better team. It's alway fire XXX, no emotion, played like crap yadda, yadda.

Personally, I think OUr guys played hard yesterday, but were out flanked by a better team. You could sum up the game by the 2 TD passes from McCoy. If we could have hit anything like that, it's an even game or we win. But there is no way we make either one of those plays. They could, we couldn't. End of story, better team won. It will be interesting to see how the horns do from here. Was this just a case of OU playing poorly or are the horns hitting their stride after a slow start? It wouldn't surprise me if it is the latter. But we are not done either.

SOONER44EVER
10/13/2013, 11:38 PM

Agreed. But nearly every time we lose, we're that "better" team that lost. When a team is "better" than us the better team almost always wins. Kinda sucks.

Johnny Utah
10/13/2013, 11:48 PM
Your first sentence is all well and good and I read many other posters say the same thing. But funny after a loss, no one will ever say we played hard and were just beaten by a better team. It's alway fire XXX, no emotion, played like crap yadda, yadda.

Personally, I think OUr guys played hard yesterday, but were out flanked by a better team. You could sum up the game by the 2 TD passes from McCoy. If we could have hit anything like that, it's an even game or we win. But there is no way we make either one of those plays. They could, we couldn't. End of story, better team won. It will be interesting to see how the horns do from here. Was this just a case of OU playing poorly or are the horns hitting their stride after a slow start? It wouldn't surprise me if it is the latter. But we are not done either.

I think a lot of everybody's frustration is that a virtual blueprint for beating Texas was laid out but didn't appear to be implemented by the coaching staff. However, from your comment are you saying BYU and Ole Miss are better than OU?

BoulderSooner79
10/14/2013, 12:10 AM
I think a lot of everybody's frustration is that a virtual blueprint for beating Texas was laid out but didn't appear to be implemented by the coaching staff. However, from your comment are you saying BYU and Ole Miss are better than OU?

With the offense we showed agains TCU and UT, yes. But I'm also saying the horns might beat those 2 teams in a rematch if they have started to play to their potential. Some teams start slow and you have to admit they've looked better in the 3 games since firing Diaz. I personally think they are better with McCoy in there than Ash. Not because McCoy is better, but because they run a more standard scheme and forget about the QB run. They have 3 good RBs; let them run and have the QB pass when needed.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
10/14/2013, 12:44 AM

Maybe that's because I can't remember too many games in recent years in which we were played hard and were just beaten by a better team. That Oregon game I referred to. I might even shudder include that Boise State game in that, although I would say even then we weren't beaten by a better team, just one that had better trick playcalling. But as far as I recall we played hard in that game and I had no complaints about the fire and enthusiasm the team demonstrated.

On the other hand I do recall a streak of big games including this one where we showed up seemingly unprepared and by appearances anyway, with no fire for a win. I saw very little lights out play yesterday. Snippets of it, yes, but a concerted effort, no.

rock on sooner
10/14/2013, 06:49 AM
Look, I know we were "supposed" to beat the hell out of Texas this year. I also know we did just about everything possible to lose the game Saturday. But, there is a reason this is THE game on our schedule every year. There is also a reason the term "you can throw out the records when these teams meet" has been used many times over the years in association with this game.

This wasn't the game we were "supposed" to lose, period. But, we did. And, we lost to a team, that despite looking mediocre to bad most of the year, still has extremely good talent all over it's roster. This wasn't Tech coming to Norman on a rainy night and winning.

This one hurt, because it was Texas, and because we all thought it was a "W". But, life will go on. Just today I woke up, and contrary to the way I felt, the sun came up...it's as if Saturday's game meant nothing to the rest of the world!

The best way to get over this loss is to beat the hell outta KU, and that's what I expect to happen.

I agree....

rock on sooner
10/14/2013, 06:49 AM
You forgotted about the Refs , They was Wearin Orange undies !

Hey, how yew know that?

Mjcpr
10/14/2013, 08:21 AM

I agree....

What time are you two handing out the participation trophies?

badger
10/14/2013, 08:47 AM
I hate Texas because I lost about 10K in vCash. I sympathize with anyone out there who lost real money on the 14-point spread.

ARGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/14/2013, 09:26 AM
It not just the fact it is UT that is causing the angst. This is the annual 1st loss of the year mourning period. Even though most posters will admit they didn't think this team had BCS title potential, that hope is still on the table until that dreaded first 'L'. Then a period of mourning follows. We must go through the 5 stages of grief before letting go of this fragile glimmer of hope. RIP hope. We'll worship your offspring next season.Beauty post!

Jacie
10/14/2013, 10:34 AM
What really bites is the whorns will sink back to their pre-RRS team and start dropping games you would think they should win, making OU look bad in the process.

cvsooner
10/14/2013, 12:00 PM
This. ^^ On the other hand, it might give us a chance to still win the Big 12.

Tear Down This Wall
10/14/2013, 12:05 PM
12th time under Stoops we've lost as a double digit favorite.

Yep.

jkjsooner
10/14/2013, 12:13 PM
Agreed. But nearly every time we lose, we're that "better" team that lost. When a team is "better" than us the better team almost always wins. Kinda sucks.

I think your perception of who is the better team doesn't always align with reality.

I'll also point out that if we win 90% of the time when we are the better team, that's still on average a loss a year to a team we should beat. If we win 10% of the time when we are underdogs, that means we only beat a better team every five or so years.

When you play 10 or so games a year as the favorite, you have a lot more opportunities to lose as the favorite than win as the underdog.

You want to win more as underdogs, put a crappy team on the field... You'll have plenty of chances then...

JiminyChristmas
10/14/2013, 01:36 PM
1) the 4 wr set that became so good for us with Jones should never see the field again this year. None of the current QBs are proficient enough yet to go through that many reads and make those throws.

2) the heavy, diamond set with 3 backs and only 2 wr was successful. We ran the ball well and it makes reads easier for the qb. We didn't do it enough.

3) we can all now see how Bell was not the starter in the beginning. There are some obvious limitations that have been exposed.
4) the defense, even with injuries, only gave up 22 points. In todays college football, thats good enough to win that game.

5) Switzer said before the game that our offense doesn't know what they want to be right now. I didn't really buy that, but it was exactly right. We are not as balanced as I thought going on. Not close. We need to go forward as a running team. 80% run, 20% pass. Even in the second half, being down, we should have stuck with the run. The 3 passes and out early in the second half, then the 2nd and 3rd down passes late when we got it to the 11 yd line were killers.

8timechamps
10/14/2013, 03:36 PM
What time are you two handing out the participation trophies?

You're missing the point.

My point is that yes, we lost. And we lost a game we should have won. And we lost to Texas. But, it's one loss, and we're still sitting at 5-1. We played about as poor as a team can play, and Texas played their best game this year. In a heated rivalry, it happens.

I'm not throwing in the towel on the season. If that means I'm handing out "participation trophies", then I guess I am. What's the alternative?

PLaw
10/14/2013, 04:55 PM
You're missing the point.

My point is that yes, we lost. And we lost a game we should have won. And we lost to Texas. But, it's one loss, and we're still sitting at 5-1. We played about as poor as a team can play, and Texas played their best game this year. In a heated rivalry, it happens.

I'm not throwing in the towel on the season. If that means I'm handing out "participation trophies", then I guess I am. What's the alternative?

The thing that concerns me is that this series goes in streaks. I'm afraid Texas could rip off a couple more before OU breaks back through.

BoulderSooner79
10/14/2013, 05:28 PM
The thing that concerns me is that this series goes in streaks. I'm afraid Texas could rip off a couple more before OU breaks back through.

Never too early to start worrying about next year! :black_eyed:

cvsooner
10/14/2013, 05:37 PM
In postgame comments, it was clear Mack and team had this game on their minds coming into the season and would approach it differently. Who knows? Maybe they played so poorly up to now because they were building towards this game...but if this is the peak, only one way to go now.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/14/2013, 06:51 PM
The thing that concerns me is that this series goes in streaks. I'm afraid Texas could rip off a couple more before OU breaks back through.RECRUITING!

BigTip
10/14/2013, 08:47 PM
This is what I have to come to realize about myself;
When we are winning and having a great season, my life is better, more enjoyable.
But, when we lose like this, my life is NOT worse.
Does that make sense?

BoulderSooner79
10/14/2013, 08:58 PM
When we are winning and having a great season, my life is better, more enjoyable.
Does that make sense?

Maybe. Could you express this in Haiku format?

8timechamps
10/14/2013, 09:11 PM
Does that make sense?

Makes plenty of sense.

As bad as I felt after the game, I'm already back to being "ready" to watch the KU game.

And I agree, I'd like to see that in a Haiku.

BigTip
10/15/2013, 07:00 PM
Winning is great fun
Losing makes me sad it's true
But life will go on

BoulderSooner79
10/15/2013, 07:15 PM
Winning is great fun
But life will go on

I like it!

8timechamps
10/15/2013, 09:43 PM
Winning is great fun
But life will go on

Words to live by.

SOONER44EVER
10/16/2013, 12:03 AM
I think your perception of who is the better team doesn't always align with reality.

I'll also point out that if we win 90% of the time when we are the better team, that's still on average a loss a year to a team we should beat. If we win 10% of the time when we are underdogs, that means we only beat a better team every five or so years.

When you play 10 or so games a year as the favorite, you have a lot more opportunities to lose as the favorite than win as the underdog.

You want to win more as underdogs, put a crappy team on the field... You'll have plenty of chances then...It just seems like we get more losses as a favorite and less wins as an underdog than other teams similar to us.

BoulderSooner79
10/16/2013, 12:21 AM
It just seems like we get more losses as a favorite and less wins as an underdog than other teams similar to us.

That's because a bunch of morons keep installing us as favorites regardless of the facts. We are the Lucy of CFB and those that bet the line in Vegas are the Charlie Browns. They never stop trusting us to hold the ball so they can kick it and we never tire of pulling it away.

Temujin
10/16/2013, 01:11 AM

Every fan base has its over-reacting crazies. But I think it's always legitimate to look at the reasons for a loss. To me, a win or a loss never goes to ONLY the better/worse team, otherwise teams like K-State would never win a game. All signs point to OU being a better team overall than UT this year. The reality is that persistent weaknesses that were never corrected in the first few games this year finally bit us in the ***. It's also reality that you can point to specific patterns of coaching with this team that are consistent problems when facing teams that are prepared to exploit them. There's nothing wrong with acknowledging that and asking for accountability from the people in charge of fixing those problems.

I don't think UT is a more talented team at all. Or rather, I don't think that they're a particularly good team. They have talent, but they've always had talent. I think they just finally put together a decent game plan, and as usual our coaching staff wasn't prepared to counter punch. I strongly believe that we are the better team, but that we got out-coached, and subsequently out-played. And what pisses me off the most about this game is that UT kept hitting us with a big swinging right hook, and we never blocked it and hit back. No, as we always do, when we get punched, we just stand there stunned and let them wail away at us all game long.

It's all well and good to give your opponent credit for coming up with a good game plan and credit them for the win. But in the long run it shows poor judgment to simply state that they were the better team and move on. Where would Google be if they looked at Apple and said, "Wow, they kicked our *** with the iPhone", and left it at that? Good leadership requires learning from your mistakes, and FIXING those mistakes permanently. And this isn't just an OU phenomenon, it's consistent across all of college football, and it's the biggest reason that the SEC stands atop the rankings. They're accountable for their mistakes, they recognize them, and they fix them.

When's the last time you looked at Alabama or LSU and said, over the course of multiple years, "Wow, they really don't know how to score over there", or, "Wow, they really have problems on special teams". Sure, they might have one season where something like that might be an issue. But they see it, and they take steps to fix it. At OU, as much as I like Stoops, we too often see problems linger from season to season. Venables and his exploitable defenses. Chuck 3rd and Long and his shotgun draw that only worked against weak teams. Since 2007 our special teams has been downright disgraceful. Right now it's Heupel's inability to establish the run consistently.

The biggest reason people aren't calling for Bob's head is because for the first time in his tenure, he's actually DONE something about the problems, at least during the offseason. Heck, the offseason changes are the only reason I even got halfway excited about this season. Otherwise I was just expecting another 10-win "who cares" season. Looks like we're headed that way again unfortunately, but at least this year we can say that there's hope for the next year - assuming they do something to fix the offense (and still, special teams).

Sorry for the rant. I just hate the whole "they were the better team" excuse. ;)

SOONER44EVER
10/16/2013, 02:02 AM
That's because a bunch of morons keep installing us as favorites regardless of the facts. We are the Lucy of CFB and those that bet the line in Vegas are the Charlie Browns. They never stop trusting us to hold the ball so they can kick it and we never tire of pulling it away.In other words "we are often overrated". Well that sucks.

SOONER44EVER
10/16/2013, 02:04 AM
Yep. 12 times??? Wow. That's almost once a year.

BoulderSooner79
10/16/2013, 10:01 AM
In other words "we are often overrated". Well that sucks.

Hard to be underrated when you have one of he highest winning percentages in the country over the last decade. Tending to be overrated comes with the territory.