PDA

View Full Version : Striker Hit On McCoy

Judge Smails
10/13/2013, 07:13 PM
http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/814720804.gif?1381596098

I've seen where this was called "targeting". What do you think?

BoulderSooner79
10/13/2013, 07:20 PM
It shouldn't have even been a flag, but it's understandable how the ref misinterpreted it at full speed. In slow motion, you could see Striker just pushed him on both shoulders and he flipped because he was off balance from the follow through. Wasn't even a hard hit - just one of those unfortunate calls.

okiewaker
10/13/2013, 07:26 PM
Striker,,, when all said and done,,,will best defensive guy we've seen since Derick Strait, or any other Bob Stoops era D player!

Aries
10/13/2013, 07:39 PM
I don't think they called it targeting, just a personal foul due to hand to the facemask.

BoulderSooner79
10/13/2013, 07:41 PM
Wasn't there one targeting call in the game that was over-ruled via video?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/13/2013, 07:44 PM
I don't think they called it targeting, just a personal foul due to hand close to to the facemask.FIFY, and it WAS a bullsh*t call, made just before or after the non-call, when the whorn receiver ran out of bounds before catching a pass, and there was no infraction called.

8timechamps
10/13/2013, 07:50 PM
I don't think they called it targeting, just a personal foul due to hand to the facemask.

THIS.

By rule, it was a correct call.

BoulderSooner79
10/13/2013, 07:55 PM
THIS.

By rule, it was a correct call.

Do you still have the game recorded (or maybe it's on youtube). If you review the video from the opposite side, you'll see it should not have been flagged. It was also interesting that the color guy (Blackledge?) was saying it should have been targeting and then after the good replay, Brent says "maybe he got a finger on the mask". That cracked me up because it made the color guy look foolish. But I will say, I wouldn't get on the ref for that one because of how it appeared at full speed; certainly wasn't an egregous bad call.

8timechamps
10/13/2013, 08:11 PM
Do you still have the game recorded (or maybe it's on youtube). If you review the video from the opposite side, you'll see it should not have been flagged. It was also interesting that the color guy (Blackledge?) was saying it should have been targeting and then after the good replay, Brent says "maybe he got a finger on the mask". That cracked me up because it made the color guy look foolish. But I will say, I wouldn't get on the ref for that one because of how it appeared at full speed; certainly wasn't an egregous bad call.

Striker "hit" McCoy's mask (I say "hit", because he really just touched it). By rule, that's a penalty. Now, is it a penalty that gets ignored a lot? Yes. Was that a situation where the official should have kept his flag in his pocket? Hell yes. But, by definition, Striker did "hit" McCoy's head, and the rules say that's a no-no.

sooneron
10/13/2013, 08:12 PM
OqLjBJPi1Jw

bluedogok
10/13/2013, 08:29 PM
Blackledge was the only one making an issue out of it.

olevetonahill
10/13/2013, 08:41 PM
http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/814720804.gif?1381596098

I've seen where this was called "targeting". What do you think?

That was a GREAT Hit, The call was Bullshat , his Hand Barely made it tto the Face and that was because Derp was Going on hisass!

TXBOOMER
10/13/2013, 08:41 PM
Ticky tack call that went the horns way. They got the benefit of the doubt all day, we played like crap, and coached like crap and got beat by a mediocre team. Fureeking disgusted!

8timechamps
10/13/2013, 08:55 PM
Ticky tack call that went the horns way. They got the benefit of the doubt all day, we played like crap, and coached like crap and got beat by a mediocre team. Fureeking disgusted!

Ticky-Tack is the perfect description. It's one of those situations when an official should swallow his whistle....most do. It did appear that Texas got the benefit of many calls. Not that we didn't deserve to lose the game, but that didn't help any.

TXBOOMER
10/13/2013, 10:04 PM
Ticky-Tack is the perfect description. It's one of those situations when an official should swallow his whistle....most do. It did appear that Texas got the benefit of many calls. Not that we didn't deserve to lose the game, but that didn't help any.

Yep. A poor game plan and not catching a break on any calls made for a long day. I figured it must have been the same crew from the Iowa State game.

Curly Bill
10/13/2013, 10:09 PM
Iowa State got royally screwed! So did we, but ours was largely self-inflicted!

OkieThunderLion
10/13/2013, 11:00 PM
Striker,,, when all said and done,,,will best defensive guy we've seen since Derick Strait, or any other Bob Stoops era D player!

He's got a very long way to go. Good player but very much a one-trick pony right now.

OkieThunderLion
10/13/2013, 11:00 PM

Yes, Blackledge didn't understand the rule.

okiewaker
10/13/2013, 11:07 PM

He's got a very long way to go. Good player but very much a one-trick pony right now.

Nice,,,I knew somebody would fix it for me.

BoulderSooner79
10/13/2013, 11:20 PM

Yeah, he was trying to argue it should have been called targeting. Very odd once they showed the various angles. Normally, Blackledge is a decent announcer.

10/14/2013, 01:36 AM
That was a GREAT Hit, The call was Bullshat , his Hand Barely made it to the Face and that was because Derp was Going on hisass!
It was a CRAP call, right next to another CRAP call. Fortunately, neither cost us any points.

hawaii 5-0
10/14/2013, 01:43 AM
Striker made McCoy look like a ragdoll.

5-0

Piware
10/14/2013, 02:16 AM
Nope, BS call.

rock on sooner
10/14/2013, 06:53 AM
Is Striker a great football name or what?

Statalyzer
10/14/2013, 02:09 PM
Definitely a flag according to the rules. However, those rules are pretty stupid and aren't the ones actually protecting players anyway.

10/14/2013, 02:24 PM
Definitely a flag according to the rules. However, those rules are pretty stupid and aren't the ones actually protecting players anyway.Continging upon whether Stryker actually was holding the face mask, and he actually wasn't, as it appeared to me.

BoulderSooner79
10/14/2013, 02:30 PM
I'm usually the guy taunting the homers by saying the ref got it right when everyone is howling how badly we got screwed. Feels weird being on the other side of the fence. I didn't see any impact to head/neck on that play from any of the views.

cvsooner
10/14/2013, 02:35 PM
This was a bad call. We did get the fumble, though. I was half expecting it to go the other way.

OkieThunderLion
10/14/2013, 02:37 PM
In 7 of the last 8 OU/Tex games, OU has had more penalty yards.

aurorasooner
10/14/2013, 02:39 PM
Bob sort of covered in his presser. He looked somewhat annoyed imo and said they'll have to coach them to hit a little lower.
My thoughts are, that it wouldn't have been even called a penalty if Derp wasn't off balance throwing the ball and made an ugly half flip when hit.
Blackledge did get on a "Matt Millen" type soap box about it, which is somewhat unusual for him, but he was a QB.

8timechamps
10/14/2013, 03:30 PM
Continging upon whether Stryker actually was holding the face mask, and he actually wasn't, as it appeared to me.

It makes no difference, the rule says you can't touch the QB's head. Striker did, and got penalized. As I said, the ref should have kept his flag in his pocket, since the touch by Striker had nothing to do with the hit, but by the rule, it was the correct call.

I see this happen all the time (in college and the pros), and it's called maybe 5% of the time. So, there is so much inconsistency with this rule, it needs to be addressed.

cvsooner
10/14/2013, 03:41 PM
In 7 of the last 8 OU/Tex games, OU has had more penalty yards. Big surprise there.

EatLeadCommie
10/14/2013, 04:57 PM
Think it was a late hit penalty, which was BS

oupride
10/14/2013, 05:44 PM
Should have been a no call.

PrideMom
10/15/2013, 09:28 AM
I have gone to that game for over 30 years, and Dallas is not a neutral site. Switzer can tell you about it.

10/15/2013, 10:47 AM
I have gone to that game for over 30 years, and Dallas is not a neutral site. Switzer can tell you about it.I lived in Dallas for 8 years, and to think of Dallas as a neutral site is beyond silly. The city of Dallas and all its media are absolutely pro cows.

EatLeadCommie
10/15/2013, 10:58 AM
Honestly, I think the violence of the hit is what drew the flag, and not the nature of the contact. I can't recall ever seeing a QB getting creamed like that. It's almost instinctive to throw the flag. He went down like a ragdoll...either that was the most awesome hit of all time or the flopping gene runs in his family. Maybe a bit of both...

BoulderSooner79
10/15/2013, 11:53 AM
Honestly, I think the violence of the hit is what drew the flag, and not the nature of the contact. I can't recall ever seeing a QB getting creamed like that. It's almost instinctive to throw the flag. He went down like a ragdoll...either that was the most awesome hit of all time or the flopping gene runs in his family. Maybe a bit of both...

Wasn't even a hard hit - McCoy was just off balance. Looked cool though.

stoopified
10/15/2013, 12:03 PM
Ticky tack call that went the horns way. They got the benefit of the doubt all day, we played like crap, and coached like crap and got beat by a mediocre team. Fureeking disgusted!Yup,that pretty much sums it up.

Ruf/Nek7
10/15/2013, 12:13 PM
These plays are tough for defenders. You can tell Striker was raising his hands in a subconscious manner, to block the ball. His momentum carried his hands high and into the face mask and as for the hit, Mccoy jumped into it. His own fault.

Statalyzer
10/15/2013, 05:30 PM
It makes no difference, the rule says you can't touch the QB's head. Striker did, and got penalized. As I said, the ref should have kept his flag in his pocket, since the touch by Striker had nothing to do with the hit, but by the rule, it was the correct call.

I see this happen all the time (in college and the pros), and it's called maybe 5% of the time. So, there is so much inconsistency with this rule, it needs to be addressed.

I agree. It's also a flag for the QB to land on his head, which is equally stupid.