PDA

View Full Version : Do we think the unthinkable? Do we start to flirt with the idea of a new head coach?

KYSooner
10/12/2013, 08:58 PM
Before you hit "back" and go to the next thread, consider a few things from this long winded post. Please remember that I know OU football is the greatest NCAA football team ever with a stupid amount of records and stats to back that fact up, but...

OU football, even us as fans, have lost the spark we used to play and carry ourselves with. No longer do any of us walk into a game or argument about us vs another team, or us in an argument about who is the best around, without carrying a sense of 'maybe' on our shoulder or in the back of our minds. Our home record, streak, and argument was killed by Tech a few years ago and at this point we don't have much to RELY on stat wise to back us up. We can count all of Broyles' catches and Bradford's yards, but team wise we have nothing. No longer do we look at our schedule and have a comfortable week because we don't know what egg we may lay. Our team and fans used to carry themselves on and off the field with a feeling that we are not #1 and we will show you today why we are. Now we as a whole carry ourselves believing we are #1. And while history may say different, ladies and gentlemen, we are not the best...which is completely UNACCEPTABLE!

Our defense since we lost to K State in the 03 conference title game has been a laughing stock. Swallow the pride, Auburn deserved to be in the title game and not us. Since then it's been the laughing stock of college football because we can't stop anyone. We practically took on Rich Rodriguez's philosophy of "you score 48, I'll score 49." The first few games of this year I thought we might be back defensively, until today...until we were shredded by a backup qb and wr who were younger, less talented siblings of our enemy past. We used to dare teams to give us their best. I look back at our games against North Carolina and Bama in 01 when we took away their first play of the game and pray that we will carry that tenacity again one day.

Big Game Bob is dead. The last big game he truly won was 2008 Tech...which we all should know was not that big of a game. While it meant us going to the title on computer points, we all know we were a better team. Big games we've lost over the last few years include mostly every one of them...the last BIG game we won was against a highly overrated FSU team. Name one BIG game we've won that you truly believed we were not as good or evenly matched with the opposing team. Now we win most of the games we should, and most of games we shouldn't.

Our bowl game appearances are hideous...enough said. All of them. Yes we win a Fiesta Bowl against UCONN, but so could Jenks or Union. Also a great Sun Bowl appearance a year before Stanford was a real deal.

Our recruiting has become a chance for us to pick up a great under 6' receiving corps, but have we had any 5 stars yet? Gone are the days of getting Peterson and Bomar to join our program...they want to go to a real program in the SEC.

Last but not least...Josh needs to go. While the man is an OU icon and should absolutely have a heisman (according to T. Marsh) statue in Heisman Park, he cannot be our OC. He is single handedly the reason for our shortfalls these last 2 years and 100% the reason for the loss today vs Texas and last year vs ND. ND has the best running d in the country last year, so he wants to run it to prove a point. Forget that Landry was lighting it up through the air...lets try all we can to run against them, even if it means losing, to score a rushing td. Today...let's try passing against a team that is a bottom dweller against the run, and while Williams is running for 2 yds a carry and Ford is gashing them for 8 and 9, let's keep Williams in.

Bob is the captain of our program and a 10 win season, a BCS or high end bowl game has become the norm. Bob said championship(s). I love that we've been to 4 title games, but we have lost 3 and that's not okay in my book. I want someone that after 1 title is looking at #3. Maybe it's just me, but is Bob the guy to get us to #'s 8,9, and 10+?

In summary, today showed why we are no longer elite status. Bob and his crew, including Boren, are happy with a Big 12 title every other year over a little over than better conference. Our recruiting is below subpar and there is not a single person in our athletic department that is unhappy. Bob took this job and said "when OU gets back to winning championships, and I said if and not when, you will be happy you hired me."

Please keep in mind that I love Bob Stoops. He has been a blessing to OU on and off the field.

Here we are 15 years later with what will be the winningest coach we've ever had. His stats speak loudly, but do they speak loud enough? Early 2000's we were a team and program not to be f***ed with...Do we make changes?

badger
10/12/2013, 09:00 PM
Step away from da cliff. In all of sooner history, we usually lose to texas and Norte dame but only had to do one this season.

soonerfan69
10/12/2013, 09:11 PM
Too much Finesse and not enough Physicality on both sides of the ball

I Am Right
10/12/2013, 09:21 PM
Flirt? we need to embrace it!!!

SoonerorLater
10/12/2013, 09:25 PM
Before you hit "back" and go to the next thread, consider a few things from this long winded post. Please remember that I know OU football is the greatest NCAA football team ever with a stupid amount of records and stats to back that fact up, but...

OU football, even us as fans, have lost the spark we used to play and carry ourselves with. No longer do any of us walk into a game or argument about us vs another team, or us in an argument about who is the best around, without carrying a sense of 'maybe' on our shoulder or in the back of our minds. Our home record, streak, and argument was killed by Tech a few years ago and at this point we don't have much to RELY on stat wise to back us up. We can count all of Broyles' catches and Bradford's yards, but team wise we have nothing. No longer do we look at our schedule and have a comfortable week because we don't know what egg we may lay. Our team and fans used to carry themselves on and off the field with a feeling that we are not #1 and we will show you today why we are. Now we as a whole carry ourselves believing we are #1. And while history may say different, ladies and gentlemen, we are not the best...which is completely UNACCEPTABLE!

Our defense since we lost to K State in the 03 conference title game has been a laughing stock. Swallow the pride, Auburn deserved to be in the title game and not us. Since then it's been the laughing stock of college football because we can't stop anyone. We practically took on Rich Rodriguez's philosophy of "you score 48, I'll score 49." The first few games of this year I thought we might be back defensively, until today...until we were shredded by a backup qb and wr who were younger, less talented siblings of our enemy past. We used to dare teams to give us their best. I look back at our games against North Carolina and Bama in 01 when we took away their first play of the game and pray that we will carry that tenacity again one day.

Big Game Bob is dead. The last big game he truly won was 2008 Tech...which we all should know was not that big of a game. While it meant us going to the title on computer points, we all know we were a better team. Big games we've lost over the last few years include mostly every one of them...the last BIG game we won was against a highly overrated FSU team. Name one BIG game we've won that you truly believed we were not as good or evenly matched with the opposing team. Now we win most of the games we should, and most of games we shouldn't.

Our bowl game appearances are hideous...enough said. All of them. Yes we win a Fiesta Bowl against UCONN, but so could Jenks or Union. Also a great Sun Bowl appearance a year before Stanford was a real deal.

Our recruiting has become a chance for us to pick up a great under 6' receiving corps, but have we had any 5 stars yet? Gone are the days of getting Peterson and Bomar to join our program...they want to go to a real program in the SEC.

Last but not least...Josh needs to go. While the man is an OU icon and should absolutely have a heisman (according to T. Marsh) statue in Heisman Park, he cannot be our OC. He is single handedly the reason for our shortfalls these last 2 years and 100% the reason for the loss today vs Texas and last year vs ND. ND has the best running d in the country last year, so he wants to run it to prove a point. Forget that Landry was lighting it up through the air...lets try all we can to run against them, even if it means losing, to score a rushing td. Today...let's try passing against a team that is a bottom dweller against the run, and while Williams is running for 2 yds a carry and Ford is gashing them for 8 and 9, let's keep Williams in.

Bob is the captain of our program and a 10 win season, a BCS or high end bowl game has become the norm. Bob said championship(s). I love that we've been to 4 title games, but we have lost 3 and that's not okay in my book. I want someone that after 1 title is looking at #3. Maybe it's just me, but is Bob the guy to get us to #'s 8,9, and 10+?

In summary, today showed why we are no longer elite status. Bob and his crew, including Boren, are happy with a Big 12 title every other year over a little over than better conference. Our recruiting is below subpar and there is not a single person in our athletic department that is unhappy. Bob took this job and said "when OU gets back to winning championships, and I said if and not when, you will be happy you hired me."

Please keep in mind that I love Bob Stoops. He has been a blessing to OU on and off the field.

Here we are 15 years later with what will be the winningest coach we've ever had. His stats speak loudly, but do they speak loud enough? Early 2000's we were a team and program not to be f***ed with...Do we make changes?

Nah. Just get better players and the coaches will look like geniuses and we won't be getting remarkably better players as long as we are in this train wreck of a conference.

jkjsooner
10/12/2013, 09:36 PM
Please remember that I know OU football is the greatest NCAA football team ever with a stupid amount of records and stats to back that fact up, but...

This is where you are thrown off and where readers should just stop reading. There are a lot of football powers out there and there are even more schools paying their coaches millions of dollars a year.

To imply that we are the "greatest NCAA football team ever" as if there is no question about it is absurd. I think teams like USC, Notre Dame, Alabama, etc. would beg to differ with you.

We had a 47 game win streak. It's a source of pride. If you think that means we'll never lose games to lower ranked teams then you're a fool. If you think a new coaching staff won't lose games to lower ranked teams then you're a fool.

I'm going to make a couple of points here. All top tier teams lose to teams they were expected to beat. When you expect to win at least 10 or 11 games a year, that's a lot of potential losses.

And I'm getting tired of hearing Bob never wins the big games. I hate to sound like Mack Brown but I'll repeat something he said about himself that actually applies. It's hard to win the big games when they're only considered big games once you lose them (or they're national title games). We pound Texas three years in a row but those weren't big games because Texas sucks. We lose to Texas and all of a sudden it's a big game. If Notre Dame beat us it would have been Bob losing another big game. Since we won it wasn't a big game. It's such bull**** logic.

Now back on the topic. We've won an absurd number of Big 12 titles under Stoops. If you think we'll just replace Stoops and continue winning Big 12 titles and national titles then I'll tell you you're hoping for something that isn't very probable. But of course you think we will because you're under some kind of illusion that our program is on some sort of pedestal.

I lived through the '90s and it wasn't pretty. I don't want to go through the revolving door of coaches trying to find the next Stoops. Almost without fail that is what happens when a highly successful coach leaves a program.

For goodness sake, we're 5-1. We didn't play well. It happens. We might not have all the tools together to have a great season this year. It happens. IF we were 5-1 and Stoops laid an egg every year against Texas (like Gibbs did) then I might jump on your bandwagon. That's not the case.

Johnny Utah
10/12/2013, 09:39 PM
Too much Finesse and not enough Physicality on both sides of the ball

^^^THIS^^^ however the question is how does that change???

SicEmBaylor
10/12/2013, 09:47 PM
Nah. Just get better players and the coaches will look like geniuses and we won't be getting remarkably better players as long as we are in this train wreck of a conference.

This is a crock of ****. OU should have no problem getting players regardless of what conference they're in, but you LOSE a game in this "train wreck" of a conference and your solution is to bolt the conference with the idea that you'd get better recruits if you did? Hoookay. Winning in this conference will get you all of the recruits you need. Your unwillingness to see the problems with the coaching staff is the real issue. Stoops is slowly morphing into Mack who is more a football manager than a coach. Stoops used to be innovative, daring, and he did more with less....now he is complacent and overly conservative. It has been that way for quite awhile.

I also have news for you -- the best athletes in the country assembled on one team isn't enough to go on a NC run. Texas has world class athletes and look at the shape that program is in. I'm still unsure exactly how the hell they managed to win today.

Stoops either needs to shake lose the conservative and conventional culture that permeates the entire program via his position coaches and coordinators or OU better start looking elsewhere.

I want OU to succeed, and I'm growing pretty weary of this ****.

Curly Bill
10/12/2013, 09:49 PM
This is a crock of ****. OU should have no problem getting players regardless of what conference they're in, but you LOSE a game in this "train wreck" of a conference and your solution is to bolt the conference with the idea that you'd get better recruits if you did? Hoookay. Winning in this conference will get you all of the recruits you need. Your unwillingness to see the problems with the coaching staff is the real issue. Stoops is slowly morphing into Mack who is more a football manager than a coach. Stoops used to be innovative, daring, and he did more with less....now he is complacent and overly conservative. It has been that way for quite awhile.

I also have news for you -- the best athletes in the country assembled on one team isn't enough to go on a NC run. Texas has world class athletes and look at the shape that program is in. I'm still unsure exactly how the hell they managed to win today.

Stoops either needs to shake lose the conservative and conventional culture that permeates the entire program via his position coaches and coordinators or OU better start looking elsewhere.

Yessir!

Therealsouthsider
10/12/2013, 09:55 PM
....Stoops is entrenched...I have visions of him coaching OU for thirty more years and punching his 90yr old brother out on the sidelines during a game ala Woody Hayes

ss

Curly Bill
10/12/2013, 09:58 PM
....Stoops is entrenched...I have visions of him coaching OU for thirty more years and punching his 90yr old brother out on the sidelines during a game ala Woody Hayes

ss

I doubt the monster that is OU football is willing to go 30 more years with no NC.

SoonerorLater
10/12/2013, 10:09 PM

Well you're wrong. Right now our current recruiting class looks pretty similar to perennial titans like Maryland, Arizona St, Cal and Northwestern and that still puts us third in the Big 12 in recruiting. So no Big 12 team (even Texas) is matching the talent level of any of the top tier SEC Teams. Is that on the coaching staff? Yes, but very few of the big time recruits appear to be headed in the direction of the Big 12. Look through the Rivals Top 100 list and see how many of those guys are going to the Big 12.

aurorasooner
10/12/2013, 10:12 PM

Stoops either needs to shake lose the conservative and conventional culture that permeates the entire program via his position coaches and coordinators or OU better start looking elsewhere. well the only way that's going to happen is if Spencer gets on his soap box again, then I'm not sure that's enough juice with our DC and OC's family ties and all.
If it hadn't have been for Spencer we'd still be on the Friends and Family plan gravy train and our position coaches would be playing golf when they should've been recruiting.

landrun
10/12/2013, 10:15 PM
Well you're wrong. Right now our current recruiting class looks pretty similar to perennial titans like Maryland, Arizona St, Cal and Northwestern and that still puts us third in the Big 12 in recruiting. So no Big 12 team (even Texas) is matching the talent level of any of the top tier SEC Teams. Is that on the coaching staff? Yes, but very few of the big time recruits appear to be headed in the direction of the Big 12. Look through the Rivals Top 100 list and see how many of those guys are going to the Big 12.

You're right. We have been in a steady decline for years now and no one cares because we can beat Mack Brown more often than not. That is an OSU mentality and is killing our program.

SicEmBaylor
10/12/2013, 10:21 PM

So, if you can't go undefeated in the Big 12 you think that by going to the SEC you'll be able to recruit better even though the competition will be more difficult there than here (meaning the avenue to the NCG is narrower)? That makes no logical sense. If you can't win here, you aren't going to win there. If you can't recruit now then you won't be recruiting any better when you have to recruit against the rest of the SEC.

Conferences have up years and down years. Jumping ship from conference to conference in hopes of riding the wave is a recipe for disaster. OU is OU both it and the SEC have been around for a very very long time and, yet, OU has managed to recruit top talent and win.

The problem is that OU doesn't have much of an identity; therefore, it isn't recruiting players that fit that identity. The problem is that the coaches need to do a better job at recognizing talent in the recruiting process and then developing that talent once they're on campus. OU has done neither of those things and switching conferences won't fix either of those problems.

mojorisen2014
10/12/2013, 10:33 PM
I say we just go to his house and yell at him like that guy did to Matt Schaub.

soonercastor
10/12/2013, 10:45 PM
you think that by going to the SEC you'll be able to recruit better even though the competition will be more difficult there than here (meaning the avenue to the NCG is narrower)? That makes no logical sense.

I'm surprised you're arguing against this, it's not even really debatable.

achiro
10/12/2013, 10:56 PM
Before it started, most people were giving OU an 8 or 9 win season this year. they win a few and suddenly what, people think they are actually ready for a national championship run. Now they lose one and the coaching staff sucks, can't recruit, blah, blah, blah. Stop being so ****ing stupid. It's a young team with injuries at key positions in a rivalry game against a team full of great talent that actually put it together. Yes, there were mistakes. Yes, the play calling was questionable. But geez, you look ridiculous with this stuff.

SicEmBaylor
10/12/2013, 10:57 PM
I'm surprised you're arguing against this, it's not even really debatable.

Moving to a different conference isn't going to fix OU's problems. A fundamental change in Stoops' or a change from Stoops is what needs to happen. When OU starts winning out and somehow losing an invite to the playoff because of how weak the Big 12 is then you can talk about the need to switch conferences. But I highly doubt an undefeated OU is going to be left out of the playoff picture very often regardless of what conference you're in.

SicEmBaylor
10/12/2013, 10:59 PM
Before it started, most people were giving OU an 8 or 9 win season this year. they win a few and suddenly what, people think they are actually ready for a national championship run. Now they lose one and the coaching staff sucks, can't recruit, blah, blah, blah. Stop being so ****ing stupid. It's a young team with injuries at key positions in a rivalry game against a team full of great talent that actually put it together. Yes, there were mistakes. Yes, the play calling was questionable. But geez, you look ridiculous with this stuff.

What was the excuse last season? Or the one before that? Or the one before that? Etc. It's always something. The something is the coaching staff. Stoops is an excellent coach -- I don't dispute that. But Stoops has bought into the fallacy that conservative game planning and a corporate mentality is enough to win games.

Also, whoever recruits the QBs and develops them needs to be fired...yesterday.

85Sooner
10/12/2013, 11:01 PM
Bob has become Jerry Jones..and you post while long is 100% ON TRACK. Ou is on the path that the Longhorns are experiencing.... and for tose of us who remember mediocrity is NOT the goal..........................evidently at OU..it has become the goal and standard. Can't grasp that yet. Maybe when OSU r Baylor starts dominating the Big 12 will the Crimson Glasses come off................

Rogue
10/12/2013, 11:47 PM
I agree with JKJ. Who do you think we can hire that is a better coach than Bob Stoops? There's only one coach in the country that I think would honestly be an improvement and I don't think Nick is coming to Norman. We had some key injuries on defense that got exploited today. This offense isn't very potent, mostly because we don't have a QB that can go out and win a game. Our line seems pretty solid, we have an embarrassment of riches in the backfield and our receivers catch most balls that are on target, but they don't get the chance to catch many these days.

Nope, I think a coaching change from Bob Stoops to anyone else has about a 90% likelihood of failure.

Curly Bill
10/12/2013, 11:49 PM

You do know this is a message board right? I mean it's not like these people, most of em anyway, are going out and ranting in public.

SOONER44EVER
10/13/2013, 01:11 AM
As long as Bob keeps winning Big 12 titles, occasional bowl games and keeps a winning record over Texas he''l be here.

SicEmBaylor
10/13/2013, 01:21 AM
I agree with JKJ. Who do you think we can hire that is a better coach than Bob Stoops? There's only one coach in the country that I think would honestly be an improvement and I don't think Nick is coming to Norman. We had some key injuries on defense that got exploited today. This offense isn't very potent, mostly because we don't have a QB that can go out and win a game. Our line seems pretty solid, we have an embarrassment of riches in the backfield and our receivers catch most balls that are on target, but they don't get the chance to catch many these days.

Nope, I think a coaching change from Bob Stoops to anyone else has about a 90% likelihood of failure.

Nobody really knew of Bob Stoops himself when he was first hired. He was just the OC for Florida...he wasn't a Saban-level superstar. There are excellent coaches out there especially within the coordinator ranks...the trick is finding just the right one at just the right time.

SicEmBaylor
10/13/2013, 01:22 AM
As long as Bob keeps winning Big 12 titles, occasional bowl games and keeps a winning record over Texas he''l be here.

You are Oklahoma. You need to increase your expectations.

SOONER44EVER
10/13/2013, 01:36 AM
You are Oklahoma. You need to increase your expectations. My expectations are higher than that. I'm just predicting what will happen.

KYSooner
10/13/2013, 02:45 AM
To imply that we are the "greatest NCAA football team ever" as if there is no question about it is absurd. I think teams like USC, Notre Dame, Alabama, etc. would beg to differ with you.

We had a 47 game win streak. It's a source of pride. If you think that means we'll never lose games to lower ranked teams then you're a fool. If you think a new coaching staff won't lose games to lower ranked teams then you're a .

The teams you mention above should have something to say about us being the best...however, both ESPN and the AP have both ranked us the best program ever, and no other team is close to matching our history. NOWHERE CLOSE. Bama can talk all they want about their mythical titles...Notre Dame the same...but we have a program that literally tops nearly EVERY ranking in EVERY category to be the best. I recommend you look at the books if you are a true OU Sooner. No fan of another teAm should ever win a discussion of who is the best college football program. We literally are on the top of every single column there is. As much as USC, Bama, ND, or Ohio State want it, they don't even begin to compare to our history. Bama and Nd can claim all the titles they want...they are not Oklahoma. Bama may think they are better, but they are nowhere near the history that we have...seriously...look it up!

TrueBornSooner
10/13/2013, 03:50 AM
You sound like Texas fans a week ago. I agree we have gone to much to the speed/spread offense, but I don't agree that the ship is sinking.

No one expected a 10-win season this year. Right now, though, I still think that's achievable. Baylor is the only team who will be favored against us.

wishbonesooner
10/13/2013, 04:26 AM
Losing a ball game is not reason to jump ship or call for heads to roll. We have all seen the Sooners look unprepared and emotionally flat in nearly every big game for nearly 10 years. Oh sure we'll beat up an overrated Tech now and then, pound on a soft Longhorn team, and have to fight for our lives against OSU.
Bob brought OU back from the dead. We all owe him a debt of gratitude. He can no longer get a team ready to play a big game that tests their emotions . It's not a coincidence anymore. He fired most of the assistants, same results.

SicEmBaylor
10/13/2013, 04:35 AM
Losing a ball game is not reason to jump ship or call for heads to roll. We have all seen the Sooners look unprepared and emotionally flat in nearly every big game for nearly 10 years. Oh sure we'll beat up an overrated Tech now and then, pound on a soft Longhorn team, and have to fight for our lives against OSU.
Bob brought OU back from the dead. We all owe him a debt of gratitude. He can no longer get a team ready to play a big game that tests their emotions . It's not a coincidence anymore. He fired most of the assistants, same results.

I think that "gratitude" comes in the form of what...4 million dollars a year? That's a lot of gratitude.

This has become a persistent problem that is looking increasingly unlikely to ever be fixed short of some fresh changes.

hawaii 5-0
10/13/2013, 04:39 AM
A good coach will take advantage of the opponent's weaknesses.

Unfortunately Texass took advantage of our weak middle. Bob didn't take advantage of their run D.

We're also at a loss because Bell has no long touch yet. Tho I'm no fan of McCoy v2.0 he threw two long TD passes that were right on the money.

I hope Colvin is OK.

5-0

SicEmBaylor
10/13/2013, 05:18 AM
A good coach will take advantage of the opponent's weaknesses.

Unfortunately Texass took advantage of our weak middle. Bob didn't take advantage of their run D.

We're also at a loss because Bell has no long touch yet. Tho I'm no fan of McCoy v2.0 he threw two long TD passes that were right on the money.

I hope Colvin is OK.

5-0
Bell has no touch, period. The fact that he has been in the system for this long and couldn't hit the broadside of the barn is indicative of either poor coaching, limited talent, or some combo of those two. There is no excuse for that.

Okie35
10/13/2013, 05:22 AM
Bell has no touch, period. The fact that he has been in the system for this long and couldn't hit the broadside of the barn is indicative of either poor coaching, limited talent, or some combo of those two. There is no excuse for that.

I don't think the coaches focused on him that much to be honest. They were grooming Knight but yea... this season isn't over. I thought winning or even sharing the Big 12 last year wasn't going to happen after the loss to KSU.

ashley
10/13/2013, 06:23 AM
Name me a good team lately without a good QB. No many.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
10/13/2013, 06:32 AM
Nobody really knew of Bob Stoops himself when he was first hired. He was just the OC for Florida...he wasn't a Saban-level superstar. There are excellent coaches out there especially within the coordinator ranks...the trick is finding just the right one at just the right time.

He was the DC.

PLaw
10/13/2013, 09:16 AM
Nah. Just get better players and the coaches will look like geniuses and we won't be getting remarkably better players as long as we are in this train wreck of a conference.. Yeah, but it's the coaches job to get those better players.

PLaw
10/13/2013, 09:23 AM
Big Game Bob is dead. The last big game he truly won was 2008 Tech...which we all should know was not that big of a game. While it meant us going to the title on computer points, we all know we were a better team. Big games we've lost over the last few years include mostly every one of them...the last BIG game we won was against a highly overrated FSU team. Name one BIG game we've won that you truly believed we were not as good or evenly matched with the opposing team. Now we win most of the games we should, and most

Unfortunately, big game bob is alive and well albeit with a different connotation - almost guaranteed to choke.

Bummer

Piware
10/13/2013, 03:08 PM
You sound like Texas fans a week ago. I agree we have gone to much to the speed/spread offense, but I don't agree that the ship is sinking.

No one expected a 10-win season this year. Right now, though, I still think that's achievable. Baylor is the only team who will be favored against us.

Agree completely True. My boys kept saying THIS is the year and I have been a Sooners fan since I was 8 years ago. I go on Medicare next month so they are finally listening when I tell them "these are the teams that will break your heart". Yesterday's loss is no reason to "Go Poke" on the team or the coaches.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
10/13/2013, 03:35 PM

I couldn't agree more.

SicEmBaylor
10/13/2013, 03:36 PM
He was the DC.

My bad, you're right. Brain fart. I only have offense on my mind., :D

SoonerorLater
10/13/2013, 03:37 PM
. Yeah, but it's the coaches job to get those better players.

It is but IMO it's not entirely on the coaches. As I said in an earlier post, look at the Rivals Top 100. Right now there are exactly four recruits in the top 100 that have verbaled to Big 12 Teams. In 3 out of 4 of those cases they are home state recruits. Now will all of those guys become big time college players? No but it gives you some sense of the mindset of the most highly recruited players as to where they think their best interests will be served and that isn't the Big 12. Why is that? The numbers are pretty telling and beyond just some statistical variance. The Big 12 has backed themselves into a place that it's hard to come back from given the new paradigm in conference realignment. We don't have many options going forward other than play it as it lays.

It's sort of like living in a decaying neighborhood. Do you try to improve the surrounding area or just move to a better place?

jkjsooner
10/13/2013, 03:40 PM
My bad, you're right. Brain fart. I only have offense on my mind., :D

How could you not have known the guy whose brother is our DC was a DC?

And Stoops was well known when we hired him. He was known as the guy from KSU who turned around the Florida defense after their embarrassment to Nebraska the previous year to help them win the national title. He was kind of a big deal around the SEC.

SicEmBaylor
10/13/2013, 03:50 PM
How could you not have known the guy whose brother is our DC was a DC?

And Stoops was well known when we hired him. He was known as the guy from KSU who turned around the Florida defense after their embarrassment to Nebraska the previous year to help them win the national title. He was kind of a big deal around the SEC.

I absolutely knew that he was the DC. I don't know why I said OC on that post...I think it's because I was bitching about the offense but, yes, of course I knew Stoops was the DC at Florida. It was a typo.

jkjsooner
10/13/2013, 03:54 PM
The teams you mention above should have something to say about us being the best...however, both ESPN and the AP have both ranked us the best program ever, and no other team is close to matching our history. NOWHERE CLOSE. Bama can talk all they want about their mythical titles...Notre Dame the same...but we have a program that literally tops nearly EVERY ranking in EVERY category to be the best. I recommend you look at the books if you are a true OU Sooner. No fan of another teAm should ever win a discussion of who is the best college football program. We literally are on the top of every single column there is. As much as USC, Bama, ND, or Ohio State want it, they don't even begin to compare to our history. Bama and Nd can claim all the titles they want...they are not Oklahoma. Bama may think they are better, but they are nowhere near the history that we have...seriously...look it up!

This is just the attitude that leads to pride and arrogance that will tear down our program. You see this repeated at top notch programs over and over.

I'm glad you think we have the best program in the country but I'm not glad just how cocky you are about it. That only leads everyone to think OU fans are delusional and ignorant about college football.

I'm the first to argue against Bama's mythical titles. They claim a few that are questionable. But, let's just concentrate on their more recent titles. Bear has six (all 100% legitimate) and Saban has three. That's two more than we have right there and they were all won since Wilkinson won his last one.

I'll also point out that we'll never have the recruiting advantage that Texas has. We also don't live in a recruiting hotbed like the south. We have a lot of tradition and that helps a lot but Oklahoma is far from the easiest place to win. Think about all that a minute and you'll have a better perspective on what type of job Stoops is doing.

One last point, let's say OU finishes 10-2 or 9-3 this year. Do you think we'd get a second look from any top notch prospective coach if we fired Stoops?

I can only guess you are very young and don't have a lot of perspective. You sound like I did when Gibbs was the coach. I thought anyone could come in and win just like Switzer did. Then I grew up, moved away from Oklahoma, met fans of other good programs, realized that the sun doesn't rise and set with OU football, and experienced the lost decade of the '90s...

okiewaker
10/13/2013, 03:54 PM
So,,fu cking Baylor is having a nice year and baylor fans here telling us OU expectations for a good season. GTFO. Get LOST azz hat. Lol

SicEmBaylor
10/13/2013, 04:04 PM
So,,fu cking Baylor is having a nice year and baylor fans here telling us OU expectations for a good season. GTFO. Get LOST azz hat. Lol
lol, get some lube and give yourself a nice one, "azz hat."

If I were just a Baylor fan then I would love for OU to lose every damned game it plays from now until eternity. I couldn't give two ****s.

But let me inform you of something that may come as an absolute and total shock to you since I've said it a billion times over the years and have 20,000+ posts on a Sooner site.....I'M ALSO A SOONER FAN YOU HALF-WIT! Yes, Baylor is my first and absolute loyalty but I do love OU and wish them all the success in the world (save one game).

As a result, I give a **** what happens to OU. I give a **** when I see OU settling for less. I give a **** when I see a coaching staff that acts more interested in ensuring they don't lose a game than actually winning one.

sooner46
10/13/2013, 04:25 PM
Bob has done enough for OU that I am willing to stick with him until he gets 60. He stated he would retire at 60 if does not, then we might talk if nothing changes. Yes, I want to win Championships. BOOMER SOONER>

okiewaker
10/13/2013, 04:28 PM
YOU,,Sic em are Not an OU fan,,,get lost! Uh hmmm (save one)? GTFO!!

birddog
10/13/2013, 04:53 PM

A lot of the posters these days are lacking intelligence and cogent reality

okiewaker
10/13/2013, 05:38 PM
A lot of the posters these days are a lacking intelligence and cogent reality

This would be conditioned response. TeeVee turned into a Zombie:)

okiewaker
10/13/2013, 05:50 PM
This would be conditioned response. TeeVee turned into you into a Zombie:)

okiewaker
10/13/2013, 05:52 PM

Rogue
10/13/2013, 06:22 PM
Feeling the need to defend Sic'Em's honor. He's been around here a long time and pretty pro-Sooner for as long as I can remember. His character has been questioned ever since his dark days wrestling with his Zima-demons. I think he's a pretty stand-up guy.

Soonerfossil
10/13/2013, 06:25 PM
I don't understand why you would even mention something so stupid!

8timechamps
10/13/2013, 07:43 PM
No.

BoulderSooner79
10/13/2013, 07:49 PM
I wouldn't want Lane Kiffin here, but I may flirt with his wife.

8timechamps
10/13/2013, 07:52 PM
I wouldn't want Lane Kiffin here, but I may flirt with his wife.

In an unexpected twist, this post has taken a turn for the better. She IS very flirt-able.

BoulderSooner79
10/13/2013, 07:57 PM
In an unexpected twist, this post has taken a turn for the better. She IS very flirt-able.

Did auto-correct save you on the "flirt-able"? :cocksure:

8timechamps
10/13/2013, 08:13 PM
Did auto-correct save you on the "flirt-able"? :cocksure:

Sorta, I knew the chances were slim that it was an actual word...then auto-correct verified it, I almost left it, but I just couldn't.

SicEmBaylor
10/13/2013, 08:14 PM
Feeling the need to defend Sic'Em's honor. He's been around here a long time and pretty pro-Sooner for as long as I can remember. His character has been questioned ever since his dark days wrestling with his Zima-demons. I think he's a pretty stand-up guy.

Thanks. I don't believe the fact that I went to Baylor and am a Baylor fan should take away from the fact that I'm also a Sooner fan and care deeply about what happens to OU football...second to Baylor of course. I HATE seeing OU settle for less.

olevetonahill
10/13/2013, 09:27 PM

Yes, YES he is , He gets confused sometimes and wonders in the desert Lost as hell Make Will Robertson Look like a genius. His Parental set are POKEs .But He will always root fer the Sooners as long as we aint playing the teddy bears and HE can find his way to the stadium

Curly Bill
10/13/2013, 09:34 PM
SicEm is a fixture here

OUmillenium
10/13/2013, 09:49 PM
1.We need more defensive line depth.
2.We need more linebacker depth.
3.Probably have too many scholarships tied up in running backs and receivers.

If we had a solid, veteran line with physical linebackers...UTerus might not have scored.

Recruiting needs to get better.

bluedogok
10/13/2013, 09:59 PM
1.We need more defensive line depth.
2.We need more linebacker depth.
3.Probably have too many scholarships tied up in running backs and receivers.

If we had a solid, veteran line with physical linebackers...UTerus might not have scored.

Recruiting needs to get better.
I think the evaluation of recruits probably needs to be better, quit recruiting just by national rankings. There weren't that many highly rated guys on the 2000 team but there were a bunch of danged good players.

olevetonahill
10/13/2013, 10:20 PM
SicEm is a fixture here

He were the Made of Honor at my Next weddin!

SanDiegoSoonerGal
10/13/2013, 11:05 PM

You're the forum police now?

Also your brain is unable to comprehend that one might be an ardent (look it up) fan of two teams yet favor one if they play each other?

Adding my voice to the choir. Sic is welcome here and is definitely an OU fan.

bluedogok
10/13/2013, 11:08 PM

Also your brain is unable to comprehend that one might be an ardent (look it up) fan of two teams yet favor one if they play each other?

I concur

olevetonahill
10/13/2013, 11:08 PM

Sicem is ONLY welcome here when He can find his way here. :panda:

SicEmBaylor
10/14/2013, 01:28 AM

I went to Baylor, but I grew up loving OU and of course I'm from Oklahoma. I didn't suddenly start hating OU the minute I stepped foot on campus.

So, I know some people might be irritated with an apparent outsider criticizing and offering suggestions but I do so as someone that is still a fan.

SicEmBaylor
10/14/2013, 01:28 AM
Sicem is ONLY welcome here when He can find his way here. :panda:

I'm fine as long as it isn't overcast! :D

picasso
10/14/2013, 09:46 AM
I doubt the monster that is OU football is willing to go 30 more years with no NC.

Are you saying we have no shot at another with Stoops?
Shall we do the math and see how many shots we've had with him?

Great thread. I could understand it if our current team was stellar but that's not the case.

SoonerorLater
10/14/2013, 09:56 AM

Great thread. I could understand it if our current team was stellar but that's not the case.

I think that is the reason for the discontent, our team isn't stellar.

picasso
10/14/2013, 09:59 AM
I think that is the reason for the discontent, our team isn't stellar.
Well ****. We should be unstoppable every season. That's pretty realistic.
Even the Godking Switzer had rebuilding years. And he even started some God awful Quartberbacks. I can name two off the top of my head.

SoonerKnight
10/14/2013, 10:09 AM
Apparently when we lose they come out of the woodwork to say that Stoops should be fired or we could do better. Unfortunately we ar not going to get Saban as head coach and I am not sure he would do "better" at OU then Stoops. We lost a very goosd QB and it hurts. Our OC made some bone headed calls I will give you that. I mean we been running to the edge all year and then he decides that we are going to just gut it out!?!? WTF? Yeah. I want Magino back as OC. He know what he is doing and is a very good coach! He took a dump program KU and brought them to the Orange Bowl. They won that game too!

SoonerorLater
10/14/2013, 10:19 AM
Well ****. We should be unstoppable every season. That's pretty realistic.
Even the Godking Switzer had rebuilding years. And he even started some God awful Quartberbacks. I can name two off the top of my head.

Yes he did and (not sure what your age is) if you remember in 81, 82, 83 which were Switzer's worst years the fan base was clamoring for his head. Never had a losing season, had a winning percentage of over 80 per cent even at that point, had won two national titles and in the hunt for several others. A coach that was important enough to OU Football to eventually have a building named after him and after 3 winning but mediocre seasons by OU standards, people were ready to see him replaced.

At a program like Oklahoma the tolerance is pretty short. It should be. Looking back I can't think of one time in OU Football history that it wasn't a good idea to replace the coach when they did. That includes Wilkinson and Switzer.

badger
10/14/2013, 10:25 AM
Thanks. I don't believe the fact that I went to Baylor and am a Baylor fan should take away from the fact that I'm also a Sooner fan and care deeply about what happens to OU football...second to Baylor of course. I HATE seeing OU settle for less.

I am only a Baylor fan when it is convenient. Hail Bailure. Beat Texas so we can three-way-tie for first those bastard whorns into another co-co-co Big 12 championship and give Bob and staff more offseason raises.

Sick Them, Bears! SICK THEM!!!!!!

picasso
10/14/2013, 10:26 AM
I somewhat agree. I don't think Switzer was given a fair shake by the powers in charge when he was fired.
Are you saying the time is right for Stoops to go?
Some of you guys better be careful what you wish for.

SoonerorLater
10/14/2013, 10:52 AM
I somewhat agree. I don't think Switzer was given a fair shake by the powers in charge when he was fired.
Are you saying the time is right for Stoops to go?
Some of you guys better be careful what you wish for.

No not necessarily but if the right candidate came up and we could land him I wouldn't be that opposed either. I think that coaches can just stay too long even the good ones. Lot's of reasons for it. Coaches are a lot like politicians. When they are first elected they approach their job with new ideas and enthusiasm. As time goes by they become stale and entrenched in their beliefs that no longer work. They become beholden to the system that they were elected to change and become part of the problem they were sent to solve. Next thing you know twenty years go by and you just want them to retire.

I see a lot of that in Stoops. Compare one of his early pressers with the recent past. When he came here he was enthusiastic, embraced the press, want to be open and accountable (he said). Nowadays his enthusiasm is not apparent. He is often surly, short and not forthcoming with the media. Closed practices to the media. What is manifest is that Stoops came in with one public persona and now has a completely different one. He has changed. Become more insular. It's not unreasonable to think perhaps his effectiveness as a coach has changed as well. Not that he can't coach but just the wear and tear has taken a toll and the things you have to do to deal with the day to day make you a less effective coach.

Soonerwake
10/14/2013, 10:58 AM
I usually stay away from here for a few days after a loss, but felt compelled to check things out.

Are we really discussing "firing Stoops"? Wow.. In the words of Mr. Gump, "stupid is as stupid does"..

Jason White's Third Knee
10/14/2013, 11:03 AM

Get out of here with your logic, keen observations, and well honed arguments. There is no place for that here. Fire Bob Stoops! Josh Heupel knows nothing about offense (ok, this is the 1st game I can recall bitching about play calling since LSU in the MNC). Mike Stoops can't run a defense! Chicken Little and I have this figured out.

Jason White's Third Knee
10/14/2013, 11:12 AM

Sic'em is indeed a Sooner fan, as well as a Baylor fan. He was only annoying when Baylor started getting good and the success went to his head. He has settled in again. Carry on.

Jason White's Third Knee
10/14/2013, 12:19 PM

Heupel is "single handedly the reason for our shortfalls these last 2 years and 100% the reason for the loss today vs Texas and last year vs ND". Or is it the receivers, defense, head coach or the other stuff that stinks? All Heupel? Last year is was all Landry Jones that screwed up the season. It's NEVER one guy. Brent Venables, Chuck Long, Kevin Wilson, Whew!

That being said, I was scratching my head at some of the play calling on O. I also thought Alexander was awful. Everyone can have a bad game, but let's not say that we suck seeing as our rebuilding year is at a mere 5-1!

texas played up to their potential, FINALLY. We did not.

mhackl
10/14/2013, 12:29 PM
This question is blasphemy

SoonerKnight
10/14/2013, 01:08 PM
Geez. Let's keep the coach that we have and see if he can turn it around of course going to bowl game after bowl game can get boring! I suppose :boxing:

FaninAma
10/14/2013, 01:22 PM
I do think Heupel needs to be on a short leash.

SicEmBaylor
10/14/2013, 01:28 PM
I am only a Baylor fan when it is convenient. Hail Bailure. Beat Texas so we can three-way-tie for first those bastard whorns into another co-co-co Big 12 championship and give Bob and staff more offseason raises.

Sick Them, Bears! SICK THEM!!!!!!
There won't be a three-way-tie if we win out which is certainly what I hope to do! :D

SoonerKnight
10/14/2013, 01:29 PM
Yeah. He needs to call the game thats is given and he did not we needed to control the ball more. However it would have helped had the D tried to stop them!!!

SicEmBaylor
10/14/2013, 01:51 PM
Geez. Let's keep the coach that we have and see if he can turn it around of course going to bowl game after bowl game can get boring! I suppose :boxing:
Losing bowl game after bowl game gets even more boring.

SoonerKnight
10/14/2013, 02:49 PM
Losing bowl game after bowl game gets even more boring.

Atleast Baylor is getting to a bowl game!!!

:)

SicEmBaylor
10/14/2013, 02:53 PM

:)
Hey we've won the last 2 out of 3. :D

badger
10/14/2013, 02:54 PM
There won't be a three-way-tie if we win out which is certainly what I hope to do! :D

:mad: I swear, if you guys even THINK of beating us in football again, your basketball teams (plural) will pay dearly come winter/spring.

I would order them to do back pay for all the years they were collecting big 12 bowl payout welfare with losing records... but after seeing what a new stadium (or at least upgraded) looks like in season two (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24072486/photo-plenty-of-seats-available-at-tcukansas-game), I'm not sure they'll be able to... especially since Art will have a new job elsewhere by then, hmm

picasso
10/14/2013, 03:04 PM
Hey we've won the last 2 out of 3. :D

OU's won 3 out of 4.

SicEmBaylor
10/14/2013, 03:11 PM
:mad: I swear, if you guys even THINK of beating us in football again, your basketball teams (plural) will pay dearly come winter/spring.

I would order them to do back pay for all the years they were collecting big 12 bowl payout welfare with losing records... but after seeing what a new stadium (or at least upgraded) looks like in season two (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24072486/photo-plenty-of-seats-available-at-tcukansas-game), I'm not sure they'll be able to... especially since Art will have a new job elsewhere by then, hmm

I'm really enjoying the hell out of the fact that TCU is struggling with all of the same problems they criticized us for and swore they'd never have if they ever got into the Big XII. They're finding out that the Big XII isn't quite as easy as they thought it was. In what is arguably the worst season in Big XII conference history, they're mediocre at best.

Screw the frogs.

SicEmBaylor
10/14/2013, 03:15 PM
OU's won 3 out of 4.

OU and Stoops have not been the same since, "The Game That Should Not be Named." They just haven't. That game was some major bad juju for the OU psyche. The Boise State game compounded the problem.

OU should regularly be in BCS games and should be winning far more than they lose while winning a national championship at least once every 10 years. At least. That's what OU should expect of itself, and I don't know that Stoops can do it anymore. I think that, theoretically, he's perfectly capable of doing what it takes to get there but something has changed in that man and not for the better.

badger
10/14/2013, 03:21 PM
I'm really enjoying the hell out of the fact that TCU is struggling with all of the same problems they criticized us for and swore they'd never have if they ever got into the Big XII. They're finding out that the Big XII isn't quite as easy as they thought it was. In what is arguably the worst season in Big XII conference history, they're mediocre at best.

Screw the frogs.
They're your "Texas" this year, dear. Beware the in-conference upset. You know, the one that involves being undefeated and losing to an unranked opponent. :(:(:(:(:(

SicEmBaylor
10/14/2013, 03:26 PM
They're your "Texas" this year, dear. Beware the in-conference upset. You know, the one that involves being undefeated and losing to an unranked opponent. :(:(:(:(:(
TCU will always be tough since it's such a big rivalry game. The series is 51-50-7...we've been playing each other for well over 100 years. And our schools are incredibly similar.

Hell, TCU used to be in Waco before Baylor moved to Waco from Independence.

picasso
10/14/2013, 03:42 PM
T
OU and Stoops have not been the same since, "The Game That Should Not be Named." They just haven't. That game was some major bad juju for the OU psyche. The Boise State game compounded the problem.

OU should regularly be in BCS games and should be winning far more than they lose while winning a national championship at least once every 10 years. At least. That's what OU should expect of itself, and I don't know that Stoops can do it anymore. I think that, theoretically, he's perfectly capable of doing what it takes to get there but something has changed in that man and not for the better.
What was all of that crap?
I was just using your logic.

SoonerKnight
10/14/2013, 03:47 PM
Baylor's QB has a nice long ball I gotta tell you that kid will play in the pros. Why did we not get this kid?

yankee
10/14/2013, 04:25 PM
This was supposed to be a "rebuilding" year of sorts. Still shouldn't have lost to a team that is by far inferior to us but didn't play like it on Saturday. No need to question whether or not we need a new coach.

SicEmBaylor
10/14/2013, 06:23 PM
Baylor's QB has a nice long ball I gotta tell you that kid will play in the pros. Why did we not get this kid?
He was only a two-star. He did commit to TN but when Kiffin came in he pulled the offer. Briles found him. Briles has an eye for talent.

SicEmBaylor
10/14/2013, 06:24 PM
T
What was all of that crap?
I was just using your logic.

I'm just saying that OU should be winning more big-time BCS bowls and more NC's. That's all.

birddog
10/14/2013, 08:49 PM
^^^THIS^^^ however the question is how does that change???

He was only a two-star. He did commit to TN but when Kiffin came in he pulled the offer. Briles found him. Briles has an eye for talent.

You're gonna crash your scooter when briles takes a job at a real football school. Enjoy the 3 years of baylors scores being shown in the top 25 before you have to search through Georgia state, middle Tenn state, and Savannah state. Oh well, at least your school got recognized. Singletary to Griffin. Baylor tradition!!

SoonerKnight
10/14/2013, 08:57 PM
Well for a 2 star he is good. I watched him throw the deep ball in the last few games and he is good!!

Curly Bill
10/14/2013, 09:13 PM

But in getting those shots and not following through, not to mention the losses in other "big games," some of em in embarrassing style, Stoops no longer seems to have "it." And don't just ask me, look at how our recruiting has tailed off the past few years and ask some of the big guys who we always seemed to at least have a shot with, and who now aren't even considering us.

So yeah, I don't think we have another shot with Stoops here.

8timechamps
10/14/2013, 09:20 PM
But in getting those shots and not following through, not to mention the losses in other "big games," some of em in embarrassing style, Stoops no longer seems to have "it." And don't just ask me, look at how our recruiting has tailed off the past few years and ask some of the big guys who we always seemed to at least have a shot with, and who now aren't even considering us.

So yeah, I don't think we have another shot with Stoops here.

Our recruiting has tailed off some over recent years, but I think that had a lot to do with who was recruiting. Stoops made some big changes in the off season, and it will take time to know whether or not the problem has been corrected.

As for this year, I'm not sure there are any "big guys" that we would have had a shot with in the past, that we don't now. I know this class is shaping up to be pretty good, with a chance to be very good.

Curly Bill
10/14/2013, 09:22 PM
Our recruiting has tailed off some over recent years, but I think that had a lot to do with who was recruiting. Stoops made some big changes in the off season, and it will take time to know whether or not the problem has been corrected.

As for this year, I'm not sure there are any "big guys" that we would have had a shot with in the past, that we don't now. I know this class is shaping up to be pretty good, with a chance to be very good.

Yeah, I think we've beat North Texas for every guy we've gone head-to-head with em for.

8timechamps
10/14/2013, 09:26 PM
Yeah, I think we've beat North Texas for every guy we've gone head-to-head with em for.

You know enough about recruiting to know there is a lot of time left between now and NSD. And you also know that there are current commits that were recruited by more than just the North Texas' of the world.

Curly Bill
10/14/2013, 09:27 PM
You know enough about recruiting to know there is a lot of time left between now and NSD. And you also know that there are current commits that were recruited by more than just the North Texas' of the world.

Oh yeah, I forgot Houston has been in on a few of our guys.

8timechamps
10/14/2013, 09:29 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot Houston has been in on a few of our guys.

Don't forget Louisiana Tech!

Curly Bill
10/14/2013, 09:31 PM
Don't forget Louisiana Tech!

I knew it was either them or ULM.

landrun
10/14/2013, 10:06 PM
I agree with JKJ. Who do you think we can hire that is a better coach than Bob Stoops? There's only one coach in the country that I think would honestly be an improvement and I don't think Nick is coming to Norman.

I can't believe this question keeps being asked!
Stoops is just an average coach.
We normally beat teams that have less talent than us. But we often lose to such teams because Stoops gets out coached. We just lost to Texas because our staff couldn't figure out that we should run the ball against one of the worst running Ds in the entire country.

We've lost to Colorado, Boise St., Kansas St., Texas Tech on multiple occasions with different coaches, BYU etc... in the recent past all because we were out coached!

If Stoops was half the coach some of you think he is, this would never happen. But it happens every single year!

Sumlin is better than Stoops.
Petrino is better than Stoops.
Briles is better than Stoops and can beat us with 2 and 3 star recruits while we have 4 and 5 star recruits.
The list goes on and on...

He consitently gets out coached by coaches with lesser talent. And he ALWAYS gets beat by coaches with equal or greater talent. ALWAYS. When was the last time we beat an OOC team ranked higher than us? Name it.

Go look at our recruiting. There are about 30 schools that can recruit better than OU now. Schools like Vandy, Baylor, Mississippi, Arizona, Texas Tech etc...

Wait for a year or so to see how ugly it gets when Briles is coaching 4**** recruits while we're landing our 2** offensive line men.

Just because we bet Texas 3 out of every 4 years doesn't mean Stoops is a great coach. Brown has been horrible. And for Sooner fans to be content with beating Texas in spite of all else that has happened makes us like a bunch of Poke fans in that one year in ten when they beat us. "Yeah. We suck. But we beat Texas so it doesn't matter! All is right with the world!"

... we aren't Okie state!

What is going on here is unacceptable and to refuse to do someting because we fear Stoops can't be replaced is nonsense. Because he can be - easily! Just pick any one of the coaches who have taken their 2 and 3 star players and beat OU. There's a good list of them so you could take your pick with a blindfold on and you've replaced Bob with a better coach.

This guy is no Barry Switzer and he sure isn't a Bud Wilkinson. He's more like John Blake in my book and just as easy to replace.

In Stoops' very own words his first year here, ".... I think we can find someone to replace..." a coach who loses to lesser opponents every year and can't beat anyone ranked higher. http://www.soonerfans.com/images/icons/bob.gif

Curly Bill
10/14/2013, 10:08 PM
We normally beat teams that have less talent than us. But we often lose to such teams because Stoops gets out coached. We just lost to Texas because our staff couldn't figure out that we should run the ball against one of the worst running Ds in the entire country.

We've lost to Colorado, Boise St., Kansas St., Texas Tech on multiple occasions with different coaches, BYU etc... in the recent past all because we were out coached!

If Stoops was half the coach some of you think he is, this would never happen. But it happens every single year!

Briles is better than Stoops and can beat us with 2 and 3 star recruits while we have 4 and 5 star recruits.

He consitently gets out coached by coaches with lesser talent. And he ALWAYS gets beat by coaches with equal or greater talent. ALWAYS. When was the last time we beat an OOC team ranked higher than us? Name it.

Go look at our recruiting. There are about 30 schools that can recruit better than OU now. Schools like Vandy, Baylor, Mississippi, Arizona, Texas Tech etc...

Wait for a year or so to see how ugly it gets when Briles is coaching 4**** recruits while we're landing our 2** offensive line men.

Just because we bet Texas 3 out of every 4 years doesn't mean Stoops is a great coach. Brown has been horrible. And for Sooner fans to be content with beating Texas in spite of all else that has happened makes us like a bunch of Poke fans in that one year in ten when they beat us. "Yeah. We suck. But we beat Texas so it doesn't matter! All is right with the world!"

What is going on here is unacceptable and to refuse to do someting because we fear Stoops can't be replaced is nonsense. Because he can be - easily! Just pick any one of the coaches who have taken their 2 and 3 star players and beat OU. There's a good list of them so you could take your pick with a blindfold on and you've replaced Bob with a better coach.

This guy is no Barry Switzer and he sure isn't a Bud Wilkinson. He's more like John Blake in my book and just as easy to replace.

In Stoops' very own words his first year here, ".... I think we can find someone to replace..." a coach who loses to lesser opponents every year and can't beat anyone ranked higher. http://www.soonerfans.com/images/icons/bob.gif

I don't know if I agree with ya 100%, but I'm gonna SPEK ya for raising hell about what is an obvious problem!

8timechamps
10/14/2013, 10:53 PM

Good grief. I can only assume you weren't around during Blake's run.

OU_Sooners75
10/14/2013, 11:00 PM
Switzer said something to the likes of:

When a coach is around for more than 10 years, complacency creeps in and the team stagnates.

Sorry cannot find his exact quote.

OU_Sooners75
10/14/2013, 11:02 PM
If anyone thinks Texas has less talent than OU...well you're kidding yourself!

SicEmBaylor
10/15/2013, 12:05 AM
You're gonna crash your scooter when briles takes a job at a real football school. Enjoy the 3 years of baylors scores being shown in the top 25 before you have to search through Georgia state, middle Tenn state, and Savannah state. Oh well, at least your school got recognized. Singletary to Griffin. Baylor tradition!!
Great post -- would read again.

SOONER44EVER
10/15/2013, 12:53 AM

I agree with most of what you said..............except the Blake part. Blake is the worst coach in the history of D1 football.

SicEmBaylor
10/15/2013, 01:46 AM
I agree with most of what you said..............except the Blake part. Blake is the worst coach in the history of D1 football.

I believe Kevin Steele was worse and don't give me this ****, "Oh he was a great position coach." No. No he wasn't. He's a cancer to the coaching profession. He is to coaching football what the French are to war.

Sooner70
10/15/2013, 06:04 AM
I took KYS's advice & didn't hit "back" & move on. I read thru this thread. I'm in JKJ & others corner. I'm good with Stoops, and I think he's probably one of the best in the profession.

Like a lot of others, I've lived thru the lean years. I remember as a student, watching games for individual performances of some of OU's great players (Steve Owens, Granville Liggins), because there was little hope of winning a Big 8 title, let along going to a credible bowl. I've sat in my backyard listening to Blake coached teams, when stringing together a four down offensive series without a motion or offsides penalty. A field goal was cause for glee, and a TD triggered much elation.

Stoops put OU back on the CFB map. I don't know where all this past spark & awe was that is being talked we lost, but I can tell you that before Stoops came along, the program was moribund. Pitiful. He resurrected it, and has kept it at a high level. OU is most always in the controversey thee days for conference titles, bowl games, trips to NC (you've got to get there before you can contend), etc. Contrast that to before he came along it OU was basically irrelevant after Switzer left.

He's a good recruiter & developer of young men. (Don't pay attention to that Rivals.com stuff....heck, Bill Snyder won the B12 & almost made it to the NC game with a Rivals.com 63rd ranked recruiting class).He watches out for his coaches & moves them along. He takes care of players that get hurt & maybe cannot even play again. He's a no BS guy, and tells it like it is. He doesn't make excuses. He's an engaged coach and not a "hands off" CEO type guy. He's straightforward and fact based.

stoopified
10/15/2013, 06:26 AM
NO! You never replace what you have unless you can upgrade.Who is an upgrade? Saban,Meyer? They aren't going anywhere.Aside from that where do you look?

JLEW1818
10/15/2013, 06:50 AM
Not reading all these pages. But when you said auburn deserved to be in the title game (after the Kstate loss).... We do realize that was two different seasons, right? I quit reading after that.

landrun
10/15/2013, 08:30 AM
NO! You never replace what you have unless you can upgrade.Who is an upgrade? Saban,Meyer? They aren't going anywhere.Aside from that where do you look?

You didn't read much of this thread I don't guess.

I named 3 coaches off the top of my head who are better than Stoops, none of them named Saban. There are a LOT of coaches out there better than Stoops and it would easily be an upgrade - as you call it.

jkjsooner
10/15/2013, 08:39 AM

Never happen? What world do you live in. Every coach loses occasionally to "lesser" teams. Barry Switzer did. Urban Meyer did. Barry Switzer didn't lose to lesser teams as often but the talent gap that existed back then was a lot more significant than it is today.

Again, I ask, how many chances a year does OU get to play teams who are considered better than us? How many teams do we play a year who we are considered the favorite? Of course we're going to lose more from the first category than win from the second. We're literally playing ten times as many games from the first category.

And this doesn't also consider the fact that we get more benefit of the doubt than other teams when it comes to rankings. Sometimes these teams who beat us might actually be the better team. Take Boise State. They weren't a bad team and we weren't a good team that year. We really had no business winning the Big 12 that year and without a collapse by UT we wouldn't have. At best we had a game manager at QB. We were probably slightly better than BSU but they gambled and won. Big deal. Stoops will forever get blamed for taking a mediocre OU team to a conference championship (a great accomplishment) and then losing to Boise State. I guess you guys would have been happier had we not won the conference...

Football is about matchups. Sometimes those worse teams actually match up really well with us. Sometimes they don't.

One last point, considering the talk about who is better, if you just go with media perception then we've beaten a "better" Texas team almost every year. Of course Texas wasn't really better but if you're going to use media perception against Stoops then you need to use it in his favor as well...

PrideMom
10/15/2013, 08:56 AM
Anyone who would want Bob Stoops gone is an idiot. OU should be proud that we have a coach with true integrity, honesty, is proud to be the coach at OU, and isn't looking to go to a "better job". Not every head coach would have immediately ousted the first string quarter back when he found out about violation of major rules. He didn't try to sweep it under the rug.

I am sure no one feels worse about a loss than the coaches and the players, because they work many hours and the training is grueling, for just the reward of playing a game!!

SoonerKnight
10/15/2013, 10:23 AM
It's the Band's fault!!! Tuba players DAMN YOU!!!!!

Soonerwake
10/15/2013, 10:51 AM
It's the tuba director... Geesh...

SoonerKnight
10/15/2013, 11:29 AM
Whoever! It's the bands fault!!! Fire the band director!!

OU_Sooners75
10/15/2013, 02:04 PM
Funny how we lose one freaking game and some people want Stoops fired!

Lmao...who the hell will OU land to replace him? I'll give u a hint, whoever it is, it will be a downgrade!

Very rarely does a long successful coach get replaced with another long successful coach.

sooneron
10/16/2013, 09:39 PM

I named 3 coaches off the top of my head who are better than Stoops, none of them named Saban. There are a LOT of coaches out there better than Stoops and it would easily be an upgrade - as you call it.

"I don't guess"? Sprechen sie Englisch?

Whatever. You named coaches that are good and they are doing at places that are NOWHERE near the pressure cooker that OU can be on a coach. Srsly? Baylor? Petrino? His record is 4-3 in the ****ing sun belt!! LOL!!! He's 79-29 with a lot of those wins coming in the Big lEast. The funny thing is, you want this blow with the wind **** stain to come to Norman!?!? GMAFB.
Sumlin, I think he's a solid coach, but who is he without Johnny Football? ANOTHER Heisman winner that beat Stoops? We really don't know. He lost to Rice, by the way. Don't you think that UH can get better players than Rice? So he lost to a team with lesser players there...
He got trounced by AF in a bowl game 47-20. Once again, lesser players? I'd think so...
oooh, yeah, he lost to UTEP!!! LOL! If Houston is a hell hole, then UTEP is the dingle berry lodged in the hair that surrounds the hell hole...

Bourbon St Sooner
10/17/2013, 09:54 AM

And all of those guys are going to be lining up to come here after we knee jerk fire a guy that wins 10 games every year, has won 8 conference titles and 1 national title. Kind of like when Nebraska fired Solich and everybody was lining up for that job. If we did fire Stoops and ended up with our 5th choice, some assistant from a Pac 10 school, you'd be the first one on here bitching saying why aren't we offering $10 mln to a guy like Sumlin who's never won a BCS conference championship.

UteSooner
10/17/2013, 10:42 AM
Are we done with this yet?

Bourbon St Sooner
10/17/2013, 10:50 AM
No. This Kool-Aid tastes good. And it's very refreshing.