PDA

View Full Version : did tcu and ut give the D gameplan against OU for rest of season? revised record?

Soonerjeepman
10/12/2013, 07:46 PM
play receivers tight..MAKE Bell beat them threw the air...he don't go deep rarely and if he does I haven't been real impressed.

run, run, run, up the middle...

ku - w
TT - ?
Bu - L
isu - w
ksu - ?
osu -?

I really don't see any WIN except for those 2...we could win the rest or lose them as well.

SOONER44EVER
10/12/2013, 07:52 PM
play receivers tight..MAKE Bell beat them threw the air...he don't go deep rarely and if he does I haven't been real impressed.

ku - w
TT - ?
Bu - L
isu - w
ksu - ?
osu -?

I really don't see any WIN except for those 2...we could win the rest or lose them as well. How do you have ISU as a sure win? Thay played Texas way closer than we did. Got the game stolen from them as a matter of fact.

Soonerjeepman
10/12/2013, 07:53 PM
lol...history...lol...but you're right...ku only?

it is at home..

SOONER44EVER
10/12/2013, 07:54 PM
I don't see any for sure wins. The conference is crazy this year.

SoonerorLater
10/12/2013, 07:58 PM

ku - w
TT - ?
Bu - L
isu - w
ksu - ?
osu -?

I really don't see any WIN except for those 2...we could win the rest or lose them as well.

Looks about right. I'd have ISU as a ? except we get them at home. When we play KSU we will will look like exact carbon copies of each other except for the uniforms.

aurorasooner
10/12/2013, 07:59 PM
ISU played Tech tough today in Lubbock and only lost by 7, so I'm not sure that's a guaranteed w unless we get this offensive offense clusterf&^k fixed.
Defense had somewhat of an excuse today with 2 of our main starters injured and just like the a$m bowl game last year, the offense didn't step up and give them any help. However there's no excuse for Derp going over the top for 2 TD passes. That's just ridiculous.

Soonerjeepman
10/12/2013, 08:36 PM
Agreed, I don't think we have an offensive identity.

Crap I've wanted Millard to run the ball more all season...but NOT RUN AFTER RUN AFTER RUN...pick and choose. Although we did score on that "drive"...I don't consider 27 yrds a "drive".

Curly Bill
10/12/2013, 10:29 PM
Looks about right. I'd have ISU as a ? except we get them at home. When we play KSU we will will look like exact carbon copies of each other except for the uniforms.

...and except they'll be better coached!

SoonerMarkVA
10/12/2013, 10:30 PM
I'd like to see Ford getting a lot more carries as the feature back. That big back set with him, Rip, and Millard is about the only thing I see working consistently without any legitimate passing threat.

Curly Bill
10/12/2013, 10:31 PM
Yup, give the ball to the frosh with Millard and Rip in front of him.

BoulderSooner79
10/12/2013, 11:46 PM
Absolutely, this will be the defensive scheme against OU the rest of the season. If the defense doesn't even respect the intermediate passing game, it's like we're playing in the red-zone with a compressed field all the time. If we can't find a QB that can hit at least the 8-15 yarders consistently, it's going to be a struggle to score points. And I'm not just pointing at Bell as TK should little ability to hit those either. Our running game is okay, but not good enough to consistently drive the field w/o an effective passing game.

SoonerorLater
10/13/2013, 09:59 AM
I'd like to see Ford getting a lot more carries as the feature back. That big back set with him, Rip, and Millard is about the only thing I see working consistently without any legitimate passing threat.

Agree. The Diamond or Flexbone or whatever you want to call it with the big backfield seems to be our most efficient offense so far. We were having success moving the ball on Texas then inexplicably we just go away from it.

fadada1
10/13/2013, 10:10 AM
seems as though our offense is opposite of what most successful programs strive for (even though we are a very successful program). most seem to strive for a potent running game to set up the passing game. we have the run game, but totally lack a "real" threat of a passing game to compliment it. there are a lot of QBs in college football that are worse than our QB roster... and they seem to deliver a ball (relatively) on target. i never played organized football, but have enough athletic ability to turn 45 degrees to the right or left and dump a 5 yard pass to a running back coming out of the backfield.

we don't seem to be able to (or trust) allow our running game to open up a VERTICAL passing option. it has been mentioned before, but not having any threat of a tight end is killing us - especially on 3rd down, imo. we don't seem to have any resemblance of play action, haven't seen a QB under center once this year, and wonder if we actually have a TE on the roster.

i'm not a complete moron when i watch football, but even i might be able to scheme something of a defensive plan against our offense - even before losing yesterday. just sayin'.

BoulderSooner79
10/13/2013, 02:03 PM
I think Trotter has been reading this board. I'll paste a piece from his Espn blog since he clearly copied it from us. :)
----------
2. OU has problems: The blueprint on how to shut down the Sooners is on tape. Load the box. Dare Bell to beat you deep in man coverage. If only that was OU’s lone issue. Mike Stoops’ 3-3-5 scheme predicated on speed worked wonders through September. But Saturday in Dallas, it was exposed in the trenches. The Longhorns got 5 yards between the tackles any time they wanted, as Johnathan Gray and Malcolm Brown became the first Texas duo ever to rush for 100 yards apiece in the same Red River game. Not having linebacker and senior captain Corey Nelson (torn pectoral) was a killer. But he’s not coming back, either. The defense, however, is the least of OU’s worries. After playing well against Tulsa and Notre Dame, Bell has looked completely discombobulated the past two weeks. He’s been unable to consistently locate receivers down the field, which has emboldened defenses to crowd the line of scrimmage and cover up OU’s running game. After the game, coordinator Josh Heupel said he never considered making a QB switch. But if Bell keeps playing like he did in Dallas, the Sooners will be forced to.

engineer24
10/13/2013, 02:08 PM
We SHOULD be using a 2 QB system. We cant win consistently using just Knight or just Bell. We can be pretty effective using them both.

Bell is great on designed QB iso runs up the middle (similar to KSU offense although he's not fast like Sams). However Bell can get a reliable 3 to 4 yards here.

Knight is an excellent zone read QB. We should use him on first downs and medium distance downs. Use Bell on all downs of 4 yards or less.

Zone read running - 50 percent
QB iso runs - 25 percent
Play action pass - 20 percent
All other passes - 5 percent

This is our best path to victory from now on. Neither of our QBs can pass the ball very well.

engineer24
10/13/2013, 02:13 PM

ku - w
TT - ?
Bu - L
isu - w
ksu - ?
osu -?

I think we've got a decent chance of beating Baylor. Their weakness is power running, which we do pretty good at. I put that one as a toss up. We should be able to control the clock against them.

We will get smoked vs OSU. Their power run game and QB option keeper will completely destroy our defense. OSU 49, OU 21.
We will have trouble with KSU too. Another toss up game, I think OU loses, score is KSU 28, OU 21.
We will beat Texas Tech. Our secondary si good enough to contain them since we dont have to worry about stopping any kind of power running game. OU 31, TT 28.

So in summary we lose at least 2 more games, maybe 3 depending on Baylor. I would guess that we will lose to OSU and KSU.

OkieThunderLion
10/13/2013, 11:02 PM
I'll guess we finish 10-3.

Either 9-3 w/ (lesser) bowl win. Or 10-2 w/ (greater) bowl loss.

Which is pretty much what I saw coming into the year. Not much changed.

8timechamps
10/14/2013, 03:51 PM
I think there is one loss left on the schedule, just not sure who it will be.

Want to know the blueprint to beat the Sooners defense? Have elite talent at every position, under-utilize it for your first 5 games, then let 'em loose in the Cotton Bowl. Also, make sure the defense plays their worst game of the year. That's the blueprint.

With the exception of Baylor, there isn't another team on the roster with equivalent talent. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Texas runs the table the rest of the year. Maybe it took them becoming the laughing stock of the country to play up to their ability.

This looks like a 11-2/10-3 year, which is better than what I expected coming in to the season.

cvsooner
10/14/2013, 04:16 PM
And that's assuming we stay healthy. Our backups aren't so great. This is 2005 all over again. I was thinking it was more like 2006--questions at QB, good running game, decent defense, notable road win (though in '06 we got screwed in Eugene, but still) -- and an almost inexplicable loss at Texas, where they stuffed AD and we couldn't sustain drives on Thompson's passing. I don't know that this is 2005 level bad, but we're in better shape now than we were in '05 at this point in the season.

KU-Win
Tech-Win at home if we can patch up D sufficiently to get pressure and Bell doesn't get rattled if things aren't going well
Baylor - Road loss, I fear
ISU-close game but at home so probably a win
KSU-close game; could go either way; I think we contain their running QB but not sure we have the O to get through a Snyder team
OSU - road loss unless we get some things figured out between now and then

Maybe 3-3 rest of the way? Guess that makes us 8-4.