PDA

View Full Version : Disagree again but the play on the feild has been proving my pont all season

85Sooner
10/12/2013, 04:40 PM
IF one thinks 90 minutes worth of gametime......after being out of games for two years.....was appropriate evaluation time for OU to give T Knight? If I were him I would Transfer tomorrow.

That is the same thing they did to Paul Thompson AND for the same stupid reason.
Same explanations, same BS justification by fans...... etc.........
The simple fact is that IF you are going to recruit and plan to use a 50/50 QB that can scat....... #1 YOUR COACHES have to be more comfortable calling plays for an offense like that. You MUST give it MUCH MORE THAN 60-90 minutes before you GIVE UP on it and GIVE UP ON IT is what the OU coaching staff has done in both instances.

The OU coaching staff only knows ONE offense philosophy and it has used that philosophy ever since White was QB..... the plays are the same, the look is the same and it is unimaginitive, and boring. Even if it has put up huge numbers against lesser opponants...it has been SMACKED DOWN against anyone with decent talent.

Bell has been just as inaccurate as Knight was in his first two games and supposedly BELL was the EXPERIENCED JUNIOR. Well, that spin has lost its luster.

Thompson? We don't and won't know but IF I were him, I would consider transfer as well...... It is clear that the OU staff wants pocket passers and UNTIL an O coordinator comes into OU with a background designing offenses for that type of play....It will always remain as such.

BoulderSooner79
10/12/2013, 04:42 PM
We would have lost with TK too.

NorthernIowaSooner
10/12/2013, 04:43 PM
If he was truly hurt then he shouldn't be upset. Bell gave them another aspect in the Tulsa game. He threw it well. He won at ND. There was no reason to take it from Bell at that point.

We haven't seen all TK is capable of doing. We also haven't seen him on the field for the last time.

BoulderSooner79
10/12/2013, 04:45 PM
If he was truly hurt then he shouldn't be upset. Bell gave them another aspect in the Tulsa game. He threw it well. He won at ND. There was no reason to take it from Bell at that point.

We haven't seen all TK is capable of doing. We also haven't seen him on the field for the last time.

^This.

Curly Bill
10/12/2013, 05:06 PM
Bell was HORRIBLE today, but I haven't seen anything that makes me think TK is the answer, and yeah I know he hasn't played a lot, but what I did see was not encouraging.

bluedogok
10/12/2013, 05:31 PM
I do think scheme wise that Knight might have been a better option based off what the Texas defense had struggled with in prior games. His mobility could have possibly created a mismatch like it did against BYU. Bell just doesn't have that ability, the only run he seems to be able to do well is a draw because of the momentum he carries going forward. Going from side to side is not his strength because he doesn't seem to have the acceleration needed for that type play.

SOONER44EVER
10/12/2013, 05:39 PM
It wouldn't matter which running QB was in if no QB running plays were called.

bluedogok
10/12/2013, 05:41 PM
They did seem to call them with Knight in there.

SOONER44EVER
10/12/2013, 05:43 PM
They did seem to call them with Knight in there. Kinda seemed like they did that to keep him from having to pass.

Curly Bill
10/12/2013, 05:44 PM
Kinda seemed like they did that to keep him from having to pass.

This^^^^.

bluedogok
10/12/2013, 05:56 PM
Kinda seemed like they did that to keep him from having to pass.
I agree, but what I have seen from Bell isn't exactly confidence inspiring. Right now there isn't an established No. 1 QB on the team.

85Sooner
10/12/2013, 06:05 PM
Comparing play caling in the first two games compared to the sixth cannot be equitible.

If TK would have had 5 games to prepare and become more comfortable , I do not think that he could have perfored any worse than Bell did today. I know this is all mute....... but OU looks like the same team that was in front of LJ and that , I think, most were sick of.

To many 3 and outs..................poor 3rd down conversion against any decent team. OU has relied on the big play. I remember for years we could not score in the red zone....... well it appears we are in that same position, and having to settle for field goals.

I just don't see any real change in what we are doing and if 10-2 and losing bowl games is ok with everyone....fine.

dennis580
10/12/2013, 06:10 PM
IF one thinks 90 minutes worth of gametime......after being out of games for two years.....was appropriate evaluation time for OU to give T Knight? If I were him I would Transfer tomorrow.

That is the same thing they did to Paul Thompson AND for the same stupid reason.
Same explanations, same BS justification by fans...... etc.........
The simple fact is that IF you are going to recruit and plan to use a 50/50 QB that can scat....... #1 YOUR COACHES have to be more comfortable calling plays for an offense like that. You MUST give it MUCH MORE THAN 60-90 minutes before you GIVE UP on it and GIVE UP ON IT is what the OU coaching staff has done in both instances.

The OU coaching staff only knows ONE offense philosophy and it has used that philosophy ever since White was QB..... the plays are the same, the look is the same and it is unimaginitive, and boring. Even if it has put up huge numbers against lesser opponants...it has been SMACKED DOWN against anyone with decent talent.

Bell has been just as inaccurate as Knight was in his first two games and supposedly BELL was the EXPERIENCED JUNIOR. Well, that spin has lost its luster.

Thompson? We don't and won't know but IF I were him, I would consider transfer as well...... It is clear that the OU staff wants pocket passers and UNTIL an O coordinator comes into OU with a background designing offenses for that type of play....It will always remain as such.

Thats total garbage. Bell has outplayed Knight by a MILE.

Rogue
10/12/2013, 06:37 PM
I don't think I'd transfer if I were TK. I think I'd work on accuracy and feel confident that my next chance is coming soon. I'd only recommend transferring if there were 2 kids in front of him that were so good it is obvious he isn't going to get to play.

I have honestly not seen anything of Bell to lead me to believe he can lead this offense. I don't think you can gameplan anything imaginative for a big physical QB who isn't very speedy and can only throw short dumps and quick timing plays, unless you want to be a 100% zone read offense.'

It seemed obvious, to me, that TK was a better match for this game and that switch could have been made in the 2nd qtr.

I wish our QB controversy was because they are both just so good. TK might become great, he has a spark.

85Sooner
10/12/2013, 06:44 PM
Thats total garbage. Bell has outplayed Knight by a MILE.

You missed the whole point!

85Sooner
10/12/2013, 06:48 PM
Thet "SPARK" is what this O needs and IF..and I say IF....he would have been given more PT I think his accuracy would have improved significantly and certainly would be better than what we saw today. I really wondered about his injury and what would have been his playing status had Bell not been in the wings.

Oh well, we have what we have. and I mean no disrespect to Blake. It just makes me crazy seeing him throw those 6 yards outs and swings over and over and over and over and over when we need to be throwing it downfield

Have a good week and get back on track next week!

Curly Bill
10/12/2013, 06:55 PM
I don't think I'd transfer if I were TK. I think I'd work on accuracy and feel confident that my next chance is coming soon. I'd only recommend transferring if there were 2 kids in front of him that were so good it is obvious he isn't going to get to play.

I have honestly not seen anything of Bell to lead me to believe he can lead this offense. I don't think you can gameplan anything imaginative for a big physical QB who isn't very speedy and can only throw short dumps and quick timing plays, unless you want to be a 100% zone read offense.'

It seemed obvious, to me, that TK was a better match for this game and that switch could have been made in the 2nd qtr.

I wish our QB controversy was because they are both just so good. TK might become great, he has a spark.

He does?

jkjsooner
10/12/2013, 07:08 PM

1. Knight is a freshman and it was clear he was not ready to play. The coaches realized once the lights were on that they put him in too early.

2. As a freshman Knight will have plenty of opportunities to lead this team.

3. Most guys don't get more than a couple of games to prove themselves. The history of college football is littered with guys who got a couple of starts only to be relegated to the bench. You have to be ready when your name is called. Luckily for Knight he will get another chance sooner or later.

4. Paul Thompson was replaced because he was at best a below average QB. Even when we won the Big 12 he was a below average QB. Had he been an average QB we would have easily beaten Boise State. I can't remember one time where Thompson hit a guy on a 30+ yard pass. In both the TCU and BSU game an unpressured Thompson missed wide open guys (multiple occasions in both games) which caused cost us a couple of TD's.

olevetonahill
10/12/2013, 07:34 PM
Bell was HORRIBLE today, but I haven't seen anything that makes me think TK is the answer, and yeah I know he hasn't played a lot, but what I did see was not encouraging.

Is this NOT what I said a few weeks ago?

WA. Sooner
10/12/2013, 07:35 PM
For a big guy, Bell gets happy feet in the pocket to easy. Also by waiting so long to name a starter, they take the reps needed away in practice as they try to figure out the starter.

Soonerjeepman
10/12/2013, 07:52 PM
I like all Sooners, but dang, Bell was soooo ssllllooowww in the runs...needed a jitterbug.

SoonerMachine
10/12/2013, 08:35 PM
It wouldn't matter which running QB was in if no QB running plays were called.

Agreed.

The playbook needs to be tailored to the strengths of the offensive personnel while exploiting the weaknesses of the defense.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/12/2013, 08:38 PM
4. Paul Thompson was replaced because he was at best a below average QB. Even when we won the Big 12 he was a below average QB. Had he been an average QB we would have easily beaten Boise State. I can't remember one time where Thompson hit a guy on a 30+ yard pass. In both the TCU and BSU game an unpressured Thompson missed wide open guys (multiple occasions in both games) which caused cost us a couple of TD's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIQLqPUNZCE - I counted 3 in the highlights. PT was very accurate on 3 different throws -> the WR screen, the 15 yard slant and the 15 yard hook. You can build a decent offense if a QB can hit those throws.

Our current QBs do not have a single throw they can hang their hat on. They both struggle with hitting the throw behind the line of scrimmage accurately much less when they go downfield. Bell has this bad habit of trying to lob everything at receivers instead of just putting some heat on it. Knight is the opposite and airmails everything. In other words, they both look poorly coached.

soonerfan69
10/12/2013, 09:16 PM
Bell is Slow but powerful, isn't a very good passer beyond 5-15 yds at this point I'd rather go with Knight

tulsaoilerfan
10/12/2013, 09:19 PM
Comparing play caling in the first two games compared to the sixth cannot be equitible.

If TK would have had 5 games to prepare and become more comfortable , I do not think that he could have perfored any worse than Bell did today. I know this is all mute....... but OU looks like the same team that was in front of LJ and that , I think, most were sick of.

To many 3 and outs..................poor 3rd down conversion against any decent team. OU has relied on the big play. I remember for years we could not score in the red zone....... well it appears we are in that same position, and having to settle for field goals.

I just don't see any real change in what we are doing and if 10-2 and losing bowl games is ok with everyone....fine.

After the problems of the last 2 weeks on offense 10-2 would be a good accomplishment

Curly Bill
10/12/2013, 09:56 PM
Is this NOT what I said a few weeks ago?

No, you said TK was the starter because he played better in the spring game and in practice. I said I could give a sh*t about the spring game and practice. You also indicated you had seen Bell throw a myriad of passes that none of the rest of us was apparently privy to. There I indicated if you'd seen him throw more than a pass or two in a meaningful situation you'd seen something no one else had seen.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/13/2013, 12:25 AM
No, you said TK was the starter because he played better in the spring game and in practice. I said I could give a sh*t about the spring game and practice. You also indicated you had seen Bell throw a myriad of passes that none of the rest of us was apparently privy to. There I indicated if you'd seen him throw more than a pass or two in a meaningful situation you'd seen something no one else had seen.

I can dig up the thread if you like, but I remember the problem I had with Bell was his eyes dropping when rushed. It got worse today in that he was just tossing stuff up when he felt the rush.

Okie35
10/13/2013, 01:01 AM
Knight should've been in on QB running plays like zone reads,etc... we only ran one w/ Bell. Bell only ran twice this game. Honestly I think the coaches thought we could just out talent Texas w/o a gameplan. I'm really hard pressed to say that we threw the game.

SOONER44EVER
10/13/2013, 01:06 AM
Knight should've been in on QB running plays like zone reads,etc... we only ran one w/ Bell. Bell only ran twice this game. Honestly I think the coaches thought we could just out talent Texas w/o a gameplan. I'm really hard pressed to say that we threw the game. I don't know that we'd have run Knight any more than Bell. Bell ran more last year and wasn't even the starter. It's almost as if Josh forgot we had a running QB and the Texas D hadn't stopped a running QB all year. Kinda baffling.

OU_Sooners75
10/13/2013, 01:56 AM
JKM said it. They are both poorly coached.

Yet if you bring anything against Heupel you'll get ridiculed...lol

Josh being the OC is just bad for OU all around. I once thought he was a heck of a QB coach, but he has quickly fallen to Jackie Shipp status!

TK may not be very accurate as a passer, but he wasn't in high school either. What you do with him is design stuff that aid his strengths or minimizes his weaknesses. Same for any QB.

What are his weaknesses? Throwing for the most part. And the offense that Heupel keeps reverting too.

What are his strengths? Quick decisions. So why not have an offense designed for that? One that is loaded with run pass options? A lot like the offense at Clemson would fit knight.

And I also think that same offense would benefit any of our QBs best.

BoulderSooner79
10/13/2013, 08:08 AM
If TK weakness is throwing and this was also true in high school, then it was stupid to recruit him. To be an elite team, you must be able to throw the ball. Yes, you must also be able to run the ball, but not necessarily with the QB. A running QB does add another dimension to the offense, but it at the cost of added risk of getting him hurt. TK last 2 1/2 games before he got hurt. Mizzou is the only other SEC team outside Bama w/o a loss and they are a dead team walking now that their QB is out for the season. The ducks may win it all this year, but they could also have it all cave in when if their QB gets hurt. I know it can happen to any player, but the odds are much better that McCarron will start all of Bama's games than Mariotta starting all of UO's.

olevetonahill
10/13/2013, 08:18 AM

What the **** ever bro.
I said I had not seen BB throw anything to impress me or Make me think he COULD throw. He cant TK cant
I also said of the 3 that played in the Spring Game Thompson was IMHO the most impressive
Later

Widescreen
10/13/2013, 09:30 AM
TK may not be very accurate as a passer, but he wasn't in high school either.

I simply can't believe that we'd recruit and sign a guy that sucks at passing. IIRC, Bradford also had a fairly poor completion percentage in high school but the justification was that his team sucked. I've gotta think the same was thought about Knight because otherwise it makes no sense since, at the time, we weren't really interested in a running QB.

And unless Knight is still hurt, I'm absolutely shocked that we didn't at least try him at some point yesterday given UT's absolutely horrible run defense coming into the game. Why on earth did we stick with Bell through all 4 quarters when it was obvious he wasn't going to get it done?