PDA

View Full Version : What do we have to lose, give Thompson a chance at QB...

Soonerus
10/12/2013, 02:44 PM
We know Bell and Knight are not the answer...

MyT Oklahoma
10/12/2013, 02:47 PM
Bell had an off day and is still learning.

TK has had off days too and is still learning.

But Bob should have made a change at QB in the second quarter when it was clear Bell was having an off day and for that I blame Bob.

Soonerus
10/12/2013, 02:50 PM
You are being very generous saying Bell had an "off game"...but I am not going to criticize him I would just like to see Thompson play some now...

SoonerMarkVA
10/12/2013, 02:51 PM
That's a pretty big fire to throw a guy into (assuming you wanted Thompson to come in in the 2nd). Maybe he would have done the job and been a hero, but I think odds are against it. I would, though, like to know why Ford and Rip ever came out of the game unless they were gassed. I freakin' loved that series with the steady dose of Millard and Ford for our first TD.

Okie35
10/12/2013, 02:54 PM
That's a pretty big fire to throw a guy into (assuming you wanted Thompson to come in in the 2nd). Maybe he would have done the job and been a hero, but I think odds are against it. I would, though, like to know why Ford and Rip ever came out of the game unless they were gassed. I freakin' loved that series with the steady dose of Millard and Ford for our first TD.

Me too also when we ran outside it was working. This playcalling reminded me of the same playcalling against Kstate last year. Why do we do this?!

David Earl
10/12/2013, 02:58 PM

I've heard that Thompson is a shifty runner, but not as good overall in practice as Bell and Knight. I have no idea if that's true or not.

Giving Knight a shot today seemed reasonable, but right or wrong, Stoops doesn't make that kind of substitution very often.

Soonerjeepman
10/12/2013, 02:58 PM
at some point we needed to give TK or Thompson a shot.

Okie35
10/12/2013, 03:00 PM
Ford only 7 carries and he was averaging 5.7 yards
Millard like 4.3 off 6 carries I think

Ummm... :grumpy:

Remember when we never got away from what was working... Adrian Peterson having 28 carries will probably be the most ever in the Stoops Era :(

Soonerus
10/12/2013, 03:11 PM
I just do not believe this offense has much upside with Bell at QB, for all I know he is the best we have...

SOONER44EVER
10/12/2013, 03:21 PM
Bob's ego won't let him admit to all the Sooner fans that was was wrong not once, but twice, about who the starting QB should be.

Piware
10/12/2013, 03:30 PM
Completely agree that the play calling and QB play was the worse I have seen in a long time but what the heck happened to the defense. Safeties sure seemed to be having to make a lot of plays and we couldn't stop a conga line at a nursing home.

Soonerus
10/12/2013, 03:41 PM
D played pretty well in the second half...even scored...

cburgsooner
10/12/2013, 03:45 PM
I am still waiting on the guys in here that was saying Bell was the best thing since sliced bread to come
and tell us how well he played, showed all the leadership and sparked the team

SoonerMarkVA
10/12/2013, 03:48 PM
D played pretty well in the second half...even scored...

I'd say D played pretty well in the 3rd Q. They seemed to let most of the air out after that effin' punt return TD. It looked like Gray was pushing the pillsbury dough boy up the middle most of the day.

SOONER44EVER
10/12/2013, 03:49 PM
I am still waiting on the guys in here that was saying Bell was the best thing since sliced bread to come
and tell us how well he played, showed all the leadership and sparked the teamRemember when they wanted Bell instead of Landry? LOL

bluedogok
10/12/2013, 03:50 PM
When you lose your best DL and LB before the game and then lose the best corner during the game, it hurts. The offense having a ton of 3 and outs hurts the defense. It seems that really no one has depth of quality defensive players except for Bama. I thought the defense improved during the second half until they just got work out because the OU offense couldn't stay on the field.

Rogue
10/12/2013, 05:46 PM
I'm still on Team Knight. I think he's our future. BB just doesn't have an arm and isn't very speedy.

Curly Bill
10/12/2013, 05:48 PM
I'm still on Team Knight. I think he's our future. BB just doesn't have an arm and isn't very speedy.

Have you seen something to indicate that TK has one?

He definitely is a shiftier runner than Bell, but he's shown so far to be an even worse thrower, and after watching Bell today that's saying a lot!

Curly Bill
10/12/2013, 05:49 PM
I'm gonna be on team Cody Thomas!

Rogue
10/12/2013, 05:55 PM
Have you seen something to indicate that TK has one?

He definitely is a shiftier runner than Bell, but he's shown so far to be an even worse thrower, and after watching Bell today that's saying a lot! Yeah, I've seen some practice clips where he nails some good throws. In fairness, Bell's best passes >15 yards have been dropped. All 2 of them. TK isn't just shiftier, he's fast. Bell is not. By the time BB takes his first step, TK is 10 yards downfield.

BB seems to be money on the timing throws where there isn't any decision making. Snap, step, and lob it into the corner of the end zone....he really seems to do that well. By the 2nd quarter I cringed every time he wound up. I really have more confidence in TK.

I admire BB's contributions, and especially the classy way he apparently handled not getting to start the season.

Curly Bill
10/12/2013, 05:59 PM
Yeah, I've seen some practice clips where he nails some good throws. In fairness, Bell's best passes >15 yards have been dropped. All 2 of them. TK isn't just shiftier, he's fast. Bell is not. By the time BB takes his first step, TK is 10 yards downfield.

BB seems to be money on the timing throws where there isn't any decision making. Snap, step, and lob it into the corner of the end zone....he really seems to do that well. By the 2nd quarter I cringed every time he wound up. I really have more confidence in TK.

I admire BB's contributions, and especially the classy way he apparently handled not getting to start the season.

This reminds me of the ongoing arguments Vet and I were having on TK-v-Bell. Throwing the ball well in practice means so little in the grand scheme of things, and from what I've seen in actual game action TK throws it even worse than Bell does. Not saying he can't get better and throw it better than Bell under game conditions, but the early results were not encouraging.

dennis580
10/12/2013, 06:02 PM

Bell IS our QB. Just had a off day today/

bluedogok
10/12/2013, 06:03 PM
QB play in general hasn't been encouraging. Playing lower level teams did little to improve their play.

dennis580
10/12/2013, 06:05 PM
Bell had an off day and is still learning.

TK has had off days too and is still learning.

But Bob should have made a change at QB in the second quarter when it was clear Bell was having an off day and for that I blame Bob.

Bell has earned the right to finish the game

SoonerorLater
10/12/2013, 06:07 PM
We don't have a QB who can stretch the field. BB is never going to be that kind of QB so unless we stay out of 3rd and long situations we are going to have problems.

dennis580
10/12/2013, 06:08 PM
at some point we needed to give TK or Thompson a shot.

We need to stick with Bell. He gives us the best chance to win.

SOONER44EVER
10/12/2013, 06:09 PM
Bell IS our QB. Just had a off day today/ If Bell is the best QB we have we're in trouble.

Soonerus
10/12/2013, 06:10 PM
Bell IS our QB. Just had a off day today/

He may not be much longer if he continues to play like he did today.

Curly Bill
10/12/2013, 06:10 PM
If Bell is the best QB we have we're in trouble.

Well...he is, and we are!

bluedogok
10/12/2013, 06:13 PM
We need to stick with Bell. He gives us the best chance to win.
At this point I have no idea who gives the team the best chance to win. I don't know that Bell is the answer.

SOONER44EVER
10/12/2013, 06:14 PM
At this point I have no idea who gives the team the best chance to win. I don't know that Bell is the answer.
All I remember is that people were saying bell was the answer last year. LOL

cburgsooner
10/12/2013, 06:15 PM
Tell me how we have a better chance with Bell at QB. He can not escape the pocket , Cant throw the ball deep and only can run the ball straight ahead.

bluedogok
10/12/2013, 06:19 PM
I know.....I thought it was foolish then.

SoonerorLater
10/12/2013, 06:22 PM

I think the coaching staff misunderstood. We want a QB that can run AND pass, not a QB that can run OR pass. Basically Sam Bradford with wheels. I don't think that's asking too much.

bluedogok
10/12/2013, 06:26 PM
I think Knight's potential is higher but the growing pains harder. I think Bell is not the answer, he seems to have a ceiling that is being bumped up against. Not sure about Thompson since I haven't seen anything from him. The question whether someone is going to be on campus to push or not next season.

dennis580
10/12/2013, 06:27 PM
After the Notre Dame game everybody was completely sold on Bell. Now after 1 bad game people are ready to jump off the bandwagon.

bluedogok
10/12/2013, 06:28 PM
After the Notre Dame game everybody was completely sold on Bell. Now after 1 bad game people are ready to jump off the bandwagon.
Some were, some weren't. Even after that game I didn't see him solidified in the position.

SOONER44EVER
10/12/2013, 06:30 PM
After the Notre Dame game everybody was completely sold on Bell. Now after 1 bad game people are ready to jump off the bandwagon.What makes you think Bell is the guy?

bluedogok
10/12/2013, 06:31 PM
What makes you think Bell is the guy?
I think he's the driver of the bandwagon....

SOONER44EVER
10/12/2013, 06:32 PM
I think he's the driver of the bandwagon....I think he might be Bell's brother.

olevetonahill
10/12/2013, 06:40 PM

We gonna lose some more . I agree tho. I would Love to see KT

Soonerus
10/12/2013, 06:42 PM
Bell is very limited in his passing ability, we'll never do much with him unless he makes vast improvements.

Rogue
10/12/2013, 06:44 PM
Bob's ego won't let him admit to all the Sooner fans that was was wrong not once, but twice, about who the starting QB should be.

I don't understand this. Bob is a confident coach, as he should be. He also insists on his players being humble and giving credit to the TEAM and the opponents. See the players going straight to Mack Brown after the game to shake his hand? They're following Bob's example. The coach's ego isn't keeping this team from winning. Injuries and lack of good options at QB are keeping us from winning.

SOONER44EVER
10/12/2013, 06:46 PM
I don't understand this. Bob is a confident coach, as he should be. He also insists on his players being humble and giving credit to the TEAM and the opponents. See the players going straight to Mack Brown after the game to shake his hand? They're following Bob's example. The coach's ego isn't keeping this team from winning. Injuries and lack of good options at QB are keeping us from winning.I didn't say his ego was keeping us from winning. I'd bet it would keep us from having a 3rd starting QB this year.

aurorasooner
10/12/2013, 06:57 PM
I don't understand this. Bob is a confident coach, as he should be. He also insists on his players being humble and giving credit to the TEAM and the opponents. See the players going straight to Mack Brown after the game to shake his hand? They're following Bob's example. The coach's ego isn't keeping this team from winning. Injuries and lack of good options at QB are keeping us from winning. I don't understand why we have to have one or the other. If one QB is not working then flip the switch and try the other guy, if he isn't doing the job, then try the 3rd guy.
Same goes for Heupel in the booth. If he's a step behind the opposing DC and can't get on track, then give either Norvell or C. Gundy a shot for a series or 2. We may have a star play-caller on the staff who just needs a push. Just be a little flexible. It can't be any worse than it was today.

dennis580
10/12/2013, 07:09 PM
Some were, some weren't. Even after that game I didn't see him solidified in the position.

Every person did , and you know it. Even the biggest Bell haters knew he would be the starter for the rest of the season by that point.

dennis580
10/12/2013, 07:11 PM
I don't understand why we have to have one or the other. If one QB is not working then flip the switch and try the other guy, if he isn't doing the job, then try the 3rd guy.
Same goes for Heupel in the booth. If he's a step behind the opposing DC and can't get on track, then give either Norvell or C. Gundy a shot for a series or 2. We may have a star play-caller on the staff who just needs a push. Just be a little flexible. It can't be any worse than it was today.

Bell sowed the starting the job after the Notre Dame game. He has earned the right to keep the job after a bad game.

OU_Sooners75
10/12/2013, 07:12 PM
We won't e winning te big 12 this year.

Hell after how we played today I would guess 3 more losses minimum.

SOONER44EVER
10/12/2013, 07:12 PM
Every person did , and you know it. Even the biggest Bell haters knew he would be the starter for the rest of the season by that point. I didn't. Bell does one thing good and that's it. Run the Belldozer. Unfortunately, since he has become the starter. we don't run it much any more.

Soonerus
10/12/2013, 07:18 PM
I was hoping he would complete a long pass before he was anointed as the starter for this year and next...

bluedogok
10/12/2013, 07:22 PM
Every person did , and you know it. Even the biggest Bell haters knew he would be the starter for the rest of the season by that point.
I disagree with you on that everyone was on the Bellwagon, even after ND where he was decent, nothing exceptional. Most of the people that wanted to see someone else knew if Bell was named starter he probably was the rest of the season barring injury because of how Stoops is with that position. It wasn't because he was head and shoulders above anyone else. If Bell continues to struggle, then gets injured and Knight or Thompson come in and play exceptionally well I think he goes with the hot hand. You make it sound like he should get the job back even if he was not playing as well as the replacement player.

It really reminds of the Hybl/White era and the "discussions" about who was better. I don't care who starts, I just want the best player at the position to play and play well. If Bell, Knight or Thompson came out lighting it up I would be happy as I don't have a vested interest in who is playing as long as they are the best option at the position. Right now with Bell's performance I don't know if he is the best option, I just not convinced beyond a reasonable doubt that he is the best option for the position.

soonerfan69
10/12/2013, 08:56 PM
Yeah, I've seen some practice clips where he nails some good throws. In fairness, Bell's best passes >15 yards have been dropped. All 2 of them. TK isn't just shiftier, he's fast. Bell is not. By the time BB takes his first step, TK is 10 yards downfield.

I agree with this 100% there was a reason TK won the starting job to start the season and it has reared it's head

SoonerorLater
10/12/2013, 09:21 PM
Bell sowed the starting the job after the Notre Dame game. He has earned the right to keep the job after a bad game.

Not really. There is no storehouse of goodwill in football. There are no "rights". Maybe Bell continues to be the starting QB but it won't be because he has earned some right to the job.

East Coast Bias
10/13/2013, 05:53 AM
What Bell did best in previous games was protecting the ball and making good decisions. He managed the game well and that is always a big plus for the coaches. A lot of that went out the window when the protection broke down. I agree with those who say we need to decide if we want a runner or a pocket passer, not too many Manziel's out there. With what we have at receiver and running back, right now a running QB that can complete the wide-open stuff seems a better fit. Trying to use Bell as a pocket-passer that takes off at times is not-productive....

CatfishSooner
10/13/2013, 10:04 AM
why the hell not give KT a chance? Can't be any worse... (or maybe it can)...

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/13/2013, 10:33 AM
You are being very generous saying Bell had an "off game"...but I am not going to criticize him I would just like to see Thompson play some now...My vote on that, too. Bob isn't going to can Heupel, and he wasn't afraid to award the QB job to Knight at the beginning of the year, so, why not try out Thompson?

JoeR
10/13/2013, 10:35 AM
Maybe a reverse belldozer, bring in another QB for 3rd and longs. :)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/13/2013, 10:44 AM
Every person did , and you know it. Even the biggest Bell haters knew he would be the starter for the rest of the season by that point.finally beating domer again after 57 years DOES get people's attention in Oklahoma.

Soonerus
10/13/2013, 11:43 AM
I don't have any problem with Bell but start him at linebacker or tight end...something more natural for him...