PDA

View Full Version : Heupel Playcalling

NorthernIowaSooner
10/12/2013, 02:43 PM
I'm guessing this thread will be closed because apparently talking about Heupel's playcalling is banned, but where is his head at in these games?

They run the ball well, then give up on the run. 3rd down playcalling is an embarrassment. Why keep subbing in Williams for two yard runs while Ford and Clay keep breaking off seven+?

Also, Texas blitzed the crap out of us on third down and it took til the fourth quarter to get a screen play going.

I'd like an honest assessment of his playcalling by the coaching staff.

MyT Oklahoma
10/12/2013, 02:45 PM
Huepel has forgotton more about college football than I will ever know.

However, Josh is not ready to be an OC.

Soonerjeepman
10/12/2013, 02:46 PM
you won't get it (honest assessment)..but heh, the thread is open!

ashley
10/12/2013, 02:46 PM
He is working with a bad QB and one receiver.
The third down crap was a failure to execute. Mostly by the QB.

soonerinabilene
10/12/2013, 02:47 PM
It vexes me. I'm terribly vexed.

SoonerMarkVA
Yeah, today was really confusing for me. Basically nothing was working except the big-back formula, and that was working very nicely. Heup just couldn't help going back to our usual game that absolutely wasn't working. Seems like we left quite a few points on the field because of it.

Soonerus
Truthfully, they just beat us...no reason to look for scapegoats...

Okie35
10/12/2013, 02:49 PM
Stretches to the outside and swing routes to the flat were open all day... but I agree w/ Rus they came out fired up and stayed that way all game.

soonerinabilene
10/12/2013, 02:50 PM
He is working with a bad QB and one receiver.
The third down crap was a failure to execute. Mostly by the QB.

He's also working with one of the best rushing attacks against one of the worst rushing defenses...

Okie35
10/12/2013, 02:50 PM
He's also working with one of the best rushing attacks against one of the worst rushing defenses...

Did we even run a screen at all today? Not a wr screen I saw 2 of those

stoopified
10/12/2013, 02:51 PM
I don't understand the offensive gameplan at all.You are playing a team that has been killed on option and qb run game. I mistakenly assumed that would be a major point of emphasis.

David Earl
10/12/2013, 02:53 PM
I'm guessing this thread will be closed because apparently talking about Heupel's playcalling is banned, but where is his head at in these games?

They run the ball well, then give up on the run. 3rd down playcalling is an embarrassment. Why keep subbing in Williams for two yard runs while Ford and Clay keep breaking off seven+?

Also, Texas blitzed the crap out of us on third down and it took til the fourth quarter to get a screen play going.

I'd like an honest assessment of his playcalling by the coaching staff.

Honest assessment of coaching and talking about Heupel's play calling are not banned. Repeated name-calling after being warned, will, however, bring a negative response. Breaking other board rules will do the same.

If you'll check the game thread you'll notice a few times where I questioned Heupel's play calling. You might not notice the name calling, etc gets a warning. When warnings are ignored sometimes a ban follows.

David Earl
10/12/2013, 02:55 PM
I don't understand the offensive gameplan at all.You are playing a team that has been killed on option and qb run game. I mistakenly assumed that would be a major point of emphasis.

I think that's a very fair question. I doubt we'll hear what the coaches really think, but I can't help but suspect Stoops will tell Heupel the play calling wasn't great.

ashley
10/12/2013, 02:58 PM
We tried everything you guys have said we should and none were working.

EatLeadCommie
10/12/2013, 02:58 PM
Play calling was bad. There was one call that was great-- the play action to Millard. Brilliant. Rest of the time was awful or average

SOONER44EVER
10/12/2013, 03:05 PM
No matter how good you are at calling plays, they won't work with a sub-par qb. Bell seems like a great kid but he has the most inaccurate arm since......Bomar? Can't think of a less accurate passing qb at OU.

ashley
10/12/2013, 03:08 PM
Fans ALWAYS say the playcalling was bad when they don't work.

mhackl
10/12/2013, 03:10 PM
I didn't see a single tunnel screen, but I had to leave the room so many times I could have missed it.

OU_Sooners75
10/12/2013, 03:15 PM
Until Huepel finally figures out how to utilize a TE in short yardage, the third downs against a decent defense will be tough.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/12/2013, 03:17 PM
No matter how good you are at calling plays, they won't work with a sub-par qb. Bell seems like a great kid but he has the most inaccurate arm since......Bomar? Can't think of a less accurate passing qb at OU.

This.

OU_Sooners75
10/12/2013, 03:17 PM
Truthfully, they just beat us...no reason to look for scapegoats...

Truthfully, the offensive play calling yet again sucked!

It sucked against TCU, it was alright against ND. It sucked against WVU as well.

Throw a dart at all games since 2010 when he took over, and you will likely hit a game that the play calling sucked!

SOONER44EVER
10/12/2013, 03:19 PM

It sucked against TCU, it was alright against ND. It sucked against WVU as well.

Throw a dart at all games since 2010 when he took over, and you will likely hit a game that the play calling sucked!

I kinda agree. Like Chuck Long, Heupel had a QB that could overcome his bad playcalling. He doesn't any more.

Soonerus
10/12/2013, 03:20 PM

hilarious...

OU_Sooners75
10/12/2013, 03:20 PM
I didn't see a single tunnel screen, but I had to leave the room so many times I could have missed it.

And yet when the plays being called don't work after about 3-4 times of calling them, you switch it up. And you damn sure don't go away from what is working.

tooslow
10/12/2013, 03:21 PM

If certain plays being called aren't working, yet continue to be called throughout the game, it's not too far fetched to say the play calling was bad. It would've been nice to see more option and misdirection plays in the second half, but there's also no way to know if that would've worked either. I do know that Robinson seemed to have a good idea of what our offense was going to do.

OU_Sooners75
10/12/2013, 03:22 PM

hilarious...

It is hilarious. The play calling in a lot of games with Huepel as the play caller.

Soonerus
10/12/2013, 03:23 PM
It is hilarious. The play calling in a lot of games with Huepel as the play caller.

What at is hilarious is you and the other hall of famer's comments...

SanDiegoSoonerGal
10/12/2013, 03:28 PM
Serious question?

If his arm is that inaccurate how did he beat Bradford's opening start record for passing yardage?

Soonerus
10/12/2013, 03:30 PM
Short passes with most yards after catch against a crappy d...

SanDiegoSoonerGal
10/12/2013, 03:30 PM

Dang it, I forgot again to post with quote. See above.

NorthernIowaSooner
10/12/2013, 03:31 PM
It isn't necessarily the plays he is calling but the play types that I don't get. The pass isn't working but the run is, we continue to pass and abandon the run. We had big runs but never consistently committed to moving the ball on the ground.

Clay has been our best RB all season, he gets minimal carries the past couple weeks. Ford shows he has big play potential, take him out, put Williams in.

The run opened up the pass for Texas. We were passing to open up the pass. It doesn't work like that.

I also didn't care for the constant 3rd down blitzing when McCoy and the Texas WR's showed they could beat us one on one. If pressure isn't working take away receiver options and see if he makes bad throws into coverage, because he wasn't on the blitz.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
10/12/2013, 03:31 PM
Short passes with most yards after catch against a crappy d...

OK, well, as far as I knew Texas's D wasn't all that and a bag of chips before this game, so why couldn't he do it again against this crappy D?

(see: yardage, BYU vs TX 2013)

SOONER44EVER
10/12/2013, 03:33 PM
Serious question?

If his arm is that inaccurate how did he beat Bradford's opening start record for passing yardage?

One game does not a great QB make. When he wins a heisman and is an NFL QB come back and make that arguement.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
10/12/2013, 03:35 PM
OK, well, as far as I knew Texas's D wasn't all that and a bag of chips before this game, so why couldn't he do it again against this crappy D?

(see: yardage, BYU vs TX 2013)

Sorry to quote my own post, but oh yeah, I forgot. That BYU yardage was against a running QB, which Bell isn't. Well he was. For a while. Now he's not.

I need a nap I guess.

Piware
10/12/2013, 03:39 PM
Mangino used to make me crazy because he treated first downs like they were free. Are the days of 2nd and 3, 3rd and 2, etc. gone forever? Is seems like 2nd and 10, 3rd and 8, lousey 4th down conversion rate is what is happening pretty consistently. Unfortunately there is no one back there that can pull of a 3rd and 28 conversion anymore.

SOONER44EVER
Sorry to quote my own post, but oh yeah, I forgot. That BYU yardage was against a running QB, which Bell isn't. Well he was. For a while. Now he's not.

I need a nap I guess. Don't feel bad. The OU coaching staff doesn't know what Bell is either.

tooslow
And you damn sure don't go away from what is working.

That about sums it up.

Heupel just laid an egg..... yet again. Texas had no problems getting chunks of yards rushing the ball. They stuck with what was working. They ran 60 times and threw the ball on only 21 plays. We passed 26 times and despite winning the ypc battle, we only ran 33 times! Out of the top 7 RBs based on ypc in this game, we had 6 of them!!! How in the world do you not keep running the ball? :mad:

SOONER44EVER
10/12/2013, 03:40 PM
Mangino used to make me crazy because he treated first downs like they were free. Are the days of 2nd and 3, 3rd and 2, etc. gone forever? Is seems like 2nd and 10, 3rd and 8, lousey 4th down conversion rate is what is happening pretty consistently. Unfortunately there is no one back there that can pull of a 3rd and 28 conversion anymore. I remember Jason White being in 3rd and long constantly...........and converting them. But he was a better QB with better recievers.

SOONER44EVER
10/12/2013, 03:43 PM
That about sums it up.

Heupel just laid an egg..... yet again. Texas had no problems getting chunks of yards rushing the ball. They stuck with what was working. They ran 60 times and threw the ball on only 21 plays. We passed 26 times and despite winning the ypc battle, we only ran 33 times! Out of the top 7 RBs based on ypc in this game, we had 6 of them!!! How in the world do you not keep running the ball? :mad:

Every OC at OU in the past 10 years has done that. It's just that some had Jason White, Sam Bradford, Adrian Peterson or Ryan Broyles and some didn't.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
10/12/2013, 03:44 PM
One thing I've seen for years now at OU from Kevin Wilson and now, sad to say, Heupel, is the commitment to running it up the middle over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...okay sorry...when it's getting us nothing. It's almost as if we abandon yardage-gaining plays for running it up the middle over and over and...okay I won't do it again.

What is UP with that?

SOONER44EVER
10/12/2013, 03:47 PM
One thing I've seen for years now at OU from Kevin Wilson and now, sad to say, Heupel, is the commitment to running it up the middle over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...okay sorry...when it's getting us nothing. It's almost as if we abandon yardage-gaining plays for running it up the middle over and over and...okay I won't do it again.

What is UP with that? NOBODY knows. Not even the ones who call those plays.

NorthernIowaSooner
10/12/2013, 03:48 PM
Every OC at OU in the past 10 years has done that. It's just that some had Jason White, Sam Bradford, Adrian Peterson or Ryan Broyles and some didn't.

Sam Bradford benefited from balance in the rushing attack.

'07: Had a 1000, 700, 600, and 200 yard rusher
'08: Had two 1000 and a 400 yard rusher

Really opens up the passing game.

SOONER44EVER
10/12/2013, 03:51 PM
Sam Bradford benefited from balance in the rushing attack.

'07: Had a 1000, 700, 600, and 200 yard rusher
'08: Had two 1000 and a 400 yard rusher

Really opens up the passing game. We had much better players back then. Much, much better.

tooslow
10/12/2013, 03:51 PM

When you don't have a star player to bail you out, it should be obvious to stick with what's working during the game. We've actually done that before. I recall us bubble screening the holy hell out of some team several years ago. The other team couldn't stop it, so we kept running it nearly all game long.

NorthernIowaSooner
10/12/2013, 03:56 PM
We had much better players back then. Much, much better.

Doesn't really change the point. Running the ball opens up the passing game. This team is capable of running the ball but abandons it. Doesn't make life easier for Bell.

ashley
10/12/2013, 03:57 PM
A QB that can complete passes makes the play calling look much better and leads to a more balanced attack.

SOONER44EVER
10/12/2013, 03:59 PM
A QB that can complete passes makes the play calling look much better and leads to a more balanced attack.
Exactly. We have an avg qb and the best rbs, in my opinion, sit on the bench entirely too much.

tulsaoilerfan
10/12/2013, 04:00 PM
Why did we not shove the diamond down their throats? Seemed like it was working

okiewaker
10/12/2013, 04:02 PM
Not sure it was as much play calling as it was what Hype was asking of Bell. The O game plan, from the formations, not to mention a RB blocking for a full back, was unorthodox. In all,,,think josh threw in a bunch of crap that Bell had to try to figure out as he went.

EatLeadCommie
10/12/2013, 04:08 PM
One thing we are really missing this year is a big, reliable receiver

SOONER44EVER
10/12/2013, 04:09 PM
One thing we are really missing this year is a big, reliable receiver

He'd have to get wide open for Bell to be able to get him the ball.

SoonerShay
10/12/2013, 04:31 PM
Bell and Heupel were both awful today. Bell holds the ball way too long and JH should see that and stop calling so many damn passing plays. By the 3rd quarter we should of never been passing on 3rd and short again, or even 3rd and long. It was blatantly obvious Bell was not going to win us this game with his arm. Coming into the game every college football fan on the planet knew the weakness of the texas defense. We chose to go away from that because.....? Who the hell knows.

If JH refuses to force Bell to run or he won't scramble when the middle is open repeatedly, he has no business playing. Those same passes special ed made for ut today, Bell wouldn't even attempt to throw. His anticipation, vision, accuracy and pocket awereness all look subpar to awful. No way in hell that bad of a rush defense should hold us to our lowest rushing total.

I'm convinced JH doesn't game plan against the other teams weakness now, he just game plans what he feels the offense should do, to hell with what we know they can't stop. Lets see if our weak passing game can shred their secondary instead?!

I never call out players or coaches but this game was horse****! There is absolutely no excuse for that **** show the offense threw out there today. The defense was atleast missing huge key personnel, the offense was completely healthy.

NorthernIowaSooner
10/12/2013, 04:34 PM

Saunders looked pretty darn wide open on that 3rd down play he threw his second pick on. May need to be more than wide open.

Temujin
10/12/2013, 04:42 PM

I wonder why.

SoonerorLater
10/12/2013, 04:43 PM
Saunders looked pretty darn wide open on that 3rd down play he threw his second pick on. May need to be more than wide open.

He was. BB just isn't the type of QB that is ever going to be able to consistently win games with his arm. That's why I question Josh's play calling. You can't have BB in 3rd and longs and expect a good outcome.

okiewaker
10/12/2013, 04:45 PM
If Bell held onto the ball TOO long,,,guess we got receivers can't get open OR Bell ain't seeing the field quick enuf .

Curly Bill
10/12/2013, 04:45 PM

Yep! Wide A** Open!! Wish we could graft Landry's arm onto Bell. LJ had his share of shortcomings (lack of courage, zero mobility, no leadership), but he could throw the damn ball!

Temujin
10/12/2013, 04:50 PM
Bell and Heupel were both awful today. Bell holds the ball way too long and JH should see that and stop calling so many damn passing plays. By the 3rd quarter we should of never been passing on 3rd and short again, or even 3rd and long. It was blatantly obvious Bell was not going to win us this game with his arm. Coming into the game every college football fan on the planet knew the weakness of the texas defense. We chose to go away from that because.....? Who the hell knows.

If JH refuses to force Bell to run or he won't scramble when the middle is open repeatedly, he has no business playing. Those same passes special ed made for ut today, Bell wouldn't even attempt to throw. His anticipation, vision, accuracy and pocket awereness all look subpar to awful. No way in hell that bad of a rush defense should hold us to our lowest rushing total.

I'm convinced JH doesn't game plan against the other teams weakness now, he just game plans what he feels the offense should do, to hell with what we know they can't stop. Lets see if our weak passing game can shred their secondary instead?!

I never call out players or coaches but this game was horse****! There is absolutely no excuse for that **** show the offense threw out there today. The defense was atleast missing huge key personnel, the offense was completely healthy.

Technically we ran 33 times to 26 passes. My problem isn't that we don't run the ball, it's the utterly vanilla way in which we run it. I think it speaks to the fact that Heupel is just more comfortable with calling passing plays. If you can't run the ball (or run it too predictably), and the only passes you call are short passes, there just isn't much that will be successful against a reasonably good defense. We need to stop running up Millard's butt every run play, be a little more creative in creating cut-back opportunities and stop running off-tackle every time. We need to call a play action bootleg once in a while. There's a lot that can be done with Bell and/or TK to make them successful, Heupel just has to realize that the same old stuff we've been doing for the last 3 years isn't going to cut it anymore.

Temujin
10/12/2013, 04:54 PM
Yep! Wide A** Open!! Wish we could graft Landry's arm onto Bell. LJ had his share of shortcomings (lack of courage, zero mobility, no leadership), but he could throw the damn ball!

I was worried about Bell's passing after watching the ND game a 2nd time. His footwork is a disaster, even when he has time. He's all over the place. The one thing that stood out in the ND game though was the fact that Bell seemed to handle pressure fairly well. Obviously that was a mirage. But I have no doubt that Bell's footwork is the biggest reason the coaches didn't go with him to start the season.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/12/2013, 04:55 PM
Technically we ran 33 times to 26 passes. My problem isn't that we don't run the ball, it's the utterly vanilla way in which we run it. I think it speaks to the fact that Heupel is just more comfortable with calling passing plays. If you can't run the ball (or run it too predictably), and the only passes you call are short passes, there just isn't much that will be successful against a reasonably good defense. We need to stop running up Millard's butt every run play, be a little more creative in creating cut-back opportunities and stop running off-tackle every time. We need to call a play action bootleg once in a while. There's a lot that can be done with Bell and/or TK to make them successful, Heupel just has to realize that the same old stuff we've been doing for the last 3 years isn't going to cut it anymore.

Have you ever just put the DVR on slow and watched the sheer number of defenders that come free on those "vanilla running plays"? We CAN'T do anything more complicated because we can't even hit 3 out of 5 blocks on the OL as it is.

NorthernIowaSooner
10/12/2013, 04:56 PM

They have seemed to wrap Bell in bubble wrap aside from a few Belldozer plays last week. He showed he can take hits last year. Not sure why they treat him so delicately this year. He's not Sam, if he gets hurt there is someone else that can play at or around his level.

Temujin
10/12/2013, 05:01 PM
Have you ever just put the DVR on slow and watched the sheer number of defenders that come free on those "vanilla running plays"? We CAN'T do anything more complicated because we can't even hit 3 out of 5 blocks on the OL as it is.

That's because they know where the hell we're going to run the ball, so they overload the spot where Millard is headed.

Curly Bill
10/12/2013, 05:03 PM
Maybe Leach can get himself fired and we can bring him back? :)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/12/2013, 05:07 PM
That's because they know where the hell we're going to run the ball, so they overload the spot where Millard is headed.

I'm not talking about where the fullbacks go, I'm talking about OL 2 slots over from the hole whiffing on their blocks. You can recognize those plays when the running back gets dropped behind the LOS by some random defender. In order to make a running game work, you aren't looking for 15 yards runs. You are looking for 22 consecutive runs of >2 yards. Our running game is 8, 4, -2, 3, 0, -1, 9.

SoonerShay
10/12/2013, 05:10 PM
I'm not talking about where the fullbacks go, I'm talking about OL 2 slots over from the hole whiffing on their blocks. You can recognize those plays when the running back gets dropped behind the LOS by some random defender. In order to make a running game work, you aren't looking for 15 yards runs. You are looking for 22 consecutive runs of >2 yards. Our running game is 8, 4, -2, 3, 0, -1, 9.

Yep if you go look at those Notre Dame redzone plays, there were some huge whiffs that killed those drives. That option play would of been a TD but a whiff block by Thompson killed it.

Temujin
10/12/2013, 07:39 PM

I know what you're seeing, and maybe it's the OL's fault. But, just watching our O this year, I think it's a product of someone on that offensive staff not understanding how to generate running lanes. For instance, pulling a lineman at the wrong time or not getting the OL in sync with the blocking schemes. Which is surprising considering the addition of Bedenbaugh. Who knows. I'm not in the coaching meetings or practices so I can't say for sure. Just guessing based on what I see on game day.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/12/2013, 08:25 PM
I know what you're seeing, and maybe it's the OL's fault. But, just watching our O this year, I think it's a product of someone on that offensive staff not understanding how to generate running lanes. For instance, pulling a lineman at the wrong time or not getting the OL in sync with the blocking schemes. Which is surprising considering the addition of Bedenbaugh. Who knows. I'm not in the coaching meetings or practices so I can't say for sure. Just guessing based on what I see on game day.

We've been having the same issue with OL missing blocks on running plays since the Jamal Brown crew graduated in 2004. My personal opinion is that there isn't as much focus on missing run blocks as their are in missing pass blocks (since whiffing on pass rushers is much more noticeable on film). In most of the plays I rewind and watch again, it is a matter of the OL in question taking the play off and lollygagging to the block (cue Bull Durham rant). The one thing that has remained elusive since that afore mentioned OL class is the drive to play every single down like it is the last. We are starting to recapture it on defense, but until we get it on the O we are going to remain a finesse offense that can't "take" anything from the defense.

Therealsouthsider
10/12/2013, 08:48 PM
....we've always had wrinkles and surprises for ut, I must have missed them today

....where is the creativity? I'd settle for gimmicky plays now and again if it did nothing more than keep defenses from loading up on our relentlessly predictable tendencies

ss

soonerfan69
10/12/2013, 09:00 PM
We need new Offensive and Defensive Coordinators with more physical approaches this finesse BS was old 5 yrs ago

Johnny Utah
10/12/2013, 09:13 PM
We've been having the same issue with OL missing blocks on running plays since the Jamal Brown crew graduated in 2004. My personal opinion is that there isn't as much focus on missing run blocks as their are in missing pass blocks (since whiffing on pass rushers is much more noticeable on film). In most of the plays I rewind and watch again, it is a matter of the OL in question taking the play off and lollygagging to the block (cue Bull Durham rant). The one thing that has remained elusive since that afore mentioned OL class is the drive to play every single down like it is the last. We are starting to recapture it on defense, but until we get it on the O we are going to remain a finesse offense that can't "take" anything from the defense.

Good assessment of the culture (and appreciate the Bull Durham reference). IMO by remaining a finesse offense, OU will never be able to effectively respond to "getting punched in the mouth". This has proved itself in OU's losses in both "big" games as well as games in which it was a clear favorite.

Judge Smails
10/12/2013, 10:16 PM
What have you done for me lately?

Serious question?

aurorasooner
10/13/2013, 12:06 AM
Tramel really hammered our coaching staff in his report card section. I didn't think he should've lumped our coordinators together, but I guess Heupel with an F and M. Stoops with a C, maybe a C- averaged out as a D. Upon further review
On third downs when Texas needed more than five yards, UT was 8-of-10 for the game. that sucks pretty bad.

THIRD-AND-LONG DEFENSE: F

COORDINATORS: D

PASSING GAME: D

http://newsok.com/ou-report-card-sooners-grades-reflect-the-beating-they-got-from-texas/article/3892895

Curly Bill
10/13/2013, 12:07 AM
Tramel really hammered our coaching staff in his report card section. I didn't think he should've lumped our coordinators together, but I guess Heupel with an F and M. Stoops with a C, maybe a C- averaged out as a D. Upon further review that sucks pretty bad.

THIRD-AND-LONG DEFENSE: F

COORDINATORS: D

PASSING GAME: D

http://newsok.com/ou-report-card-sooners-grades-reflect-the-beating-they-got-from-texas/article/3892895

How did the passing game rate a D?

aurorasooner
10/13/2013, 12:26 AM
How did the passing game rate a D?After the game Heupel must have passed Tramel in hall outside of the locker room and gave him a few quotes which raised it. wtf knows.

CatfishSooner
10/13/2013, 10:23 AM
Heupel seemingly does not want to be a "running team"... He is too focused on passing b/c a. he was a qb; and b. that is where
much of our success has come from...

He is not comfortable with relying on the run to win; maybe b/c we won't score 50-60 points IDK...

Why in the world did we get out of the diamond formation w/ rip millard and ford??? it was working great and TX couldn't do
**** to stop...Heupel does not want us to be a rushing team, so we will just be a ****ty passing team b/c it is more comfortable for Heupel...

I would like for Bob to get rid of Heupel, but we know he probably would never do it...

OU_Sooners75
10/13/2013, 10:29 AM
We need new Offensive and Defensive Coordinators with more physical approaches this finesse BS was old 5 yrs ago

We don't need a new defensive coordinator, the defense has been te one bright spot all season. The defense also played well enough yesterday to win the game.

Now offensively, yes it's time for a new coordinator.

Piware
10/13/2013, 02:46 PM
Maybe Leach can get himself fired and we can bring him back? :)

Holgerson may be in trouble and he can coach an offense if he has some talent.

okiewaker
10/13/2013, 03:03 PM
Our D is just now looking good again. FIRE the D coordinator? Shut up!!!!

Now,,,if we need to make changes on O coaching staff,,,NOT fire,,just changes,,I'm in. Our offense was rooooolllling and produced a heisman when Wilson was O cord andHype was QB coach.

Love josh but he is in waaaay over his head, at least right now.

TXBOOMER
10/13/2013, 03:52 PM
Heupel needed to cut his teeth as an OC somewhere else. I have never liked the hire. I believe OU should go with proven battle tested coordinators. I expect he will be here indefinitely though.

Curly Bill
10/13/2013, 09:05 PM
Holgerson may be in trouble and he can coach an offense if he has some talent.

I'd be for that! He'd have to be an improvement over Heupel.

SOONER44EVER
10/13/2013, 11:30 PM
....we've always had wrinkles and surprises for ut, I must have missed them today

....where is the creativity? I'd settle for gimmicky plays now and again if it did nothing more than keep defenses from loading up on our relentlessly predictable tendencies

ssThe creativity is gone. We never run trick plays or try to block punts. I used to love watching that stuff.

Curly Bill
10/13/2013, 11:32 PM
Bob: "We just have to execute better."

Tell me if you've heard that one before! LOL

BoulderSooner79
10/13/2013, 11:33 PM

It's like deja vu all over again!

Johnny Utah
10/13/2013, 11:34 PM

Never LOL

SOONER44EVER
10/13/2013, 11:39 PM

Couldn't every losing coach say that?

BoulderSooner79
10/13/2013, 11:43 PM
Never LOL

LQ (quietly)?

ddub0224
10/14/2013, 09:08 AM
I did like that Heupel got Millard more carries...but running sweeps?!?! Let the big boy pound it inside. On those couple of sweeps I'd get excited 'cause it looked setup to pick up big gains but the defense collapsed on him before he turned the corner. Maybe a sweep should be run with someone like, oh I don't know, someone fast like Finch.
One bright spot was the pass over the middle to Millard. Brought back memories of when we actually used tight ends.

PrideMom
10/14/2013, 09:15 AM
Blake Bell cannot pass, and Texas took advantage of it. Case McCoy has always been able to pass, Texas wanted Ash for his mobility. Re-watch last year's game when McCoy came in......

champions77
10/14/2013, 02:51 PM
On the JOB Training is usually reserved for programs the caliber of Bethune-Cookman, CW Post and New Mexico State, not for elite programs like OU. Why Bob did not give the play calling duties to Jay Norvell, with 15 + years more of experience is beyond my comprehension. Prior to this game, ole Josh had managed to give Trey Millard 6 carries and like 15 total touches in five games. His inability to get plays down to the field on time is legendary. Like to have a buck for every play in the last four years where we either had to quick snap at the last second, or we got a delay of game penalty or had to call timeout. Saban would put up with that baloney for about two games before showing him the door. And with his sister being married to David Boren's son Dan, don't look for any changes in that department for a long time. Heck if Boren outlasts Stoops, look for Josh to be named our new HC, regardless of how bad our offenses have been. And now he's expected to be able to run a run/pass type offense with no prior experience in that area? This promotion almost rivals the idiotic Bruce Kittle hire. What was he coaching at a High School in Iowa when Stoops hired him? Now that's the type of coaching experience that will get you Championships.

aurorasooner
10/14/2013, 03:08 PM
On the JOB Training is usually reserved for programs the caliber of Bethune-Cookman, CW Post and New Mexico State, not for elite programs like OU. Why Bob did not give the play calling duties to Jay Norvell, with 15 + years more of experience is beyond my comprehension. Prior to this game, ole Josh had managed to give Trey Millard 6 carries and like 15 total touches in five games. His inability to get plays down to the field on time is legendary. Like to have a buck for every play in the last four years where we either had to quick snap at the last second, or we got a delay of game penalty or had to call timeout. Saban would put up with that baloney for about two games before showing him the door. And with his sister being married to David Boren's son Dan, don't look for any changes in that department for a long time. Heck if Boren outlasts Stoops, look for Josh to be named our new HC, regardless of how bad our offenses have been. And now he's expected to be able to run a run/pass type offense with no prior experience in that area? This promotion almost rivals the idiotic Bruce Kittle hire. What was he coaching at a High School in Iowa when Stoops hired him? Now that's the type of coaching experience that will get you Championships. Since your alluding to previous employment records, I don't particularly think that Norvell has the successful bio to be the Sooner Play-Caller. I do like his enthusiasm and his WR recruiting ability, though. That being said any coach on our staff would have been better that what we had Saturday, imo.

As far your references to the friends and family hires, I do think that Bob is between a rock and hard spot now. I would like to see Heupel turn it around and become successful as an OC, and even possibly as our next head coach but I'm not going to hold my breath until he does, and honestly don't see it.

Temujin
10/14/2013, 03:09 PM

I don't buy that it's because we recruit lazy linemen that simply take plays off. In point of fact, you stated almost exactly what I've been pointing to as the problem. Whether it's by scheme or lack of proper technique training, someone on that offensive staff is to blame for the poor performance on running plays. I'm not saying the kids are free from blame entirely, but if, as you say, this has been a problem since 2004, then it doesn't make sense to put the majority of the blame on the players' shoulders.

Position Limit
10/14/2013, 03:11 PM
On the JOB Training is usually reserved for programs the caliber of Bethune-Cookman, CW Post and New Mexico State, not for elite programs like OU. Why Bob did not give the play calling duties to Jay Norvell, with 15 + years more of experience is beyond my comprehension. Prior to this game, ole Josh had managed to give Trey Millard 6 carries and like 15 total touches in five games. His inability to get plays down to the field on time is legendary. Like to have a buck for every play in the last four years where we either had to quick snap at the last second, or we got a delay of game penalty or had to call timeout. Saban would put up with that baloney for about two games before showing him the door. And with his sister being married to David Boren's son Dan, don't look for any changes in that department for a long time. Heck if Boren outlasts Stoops, look for Josh to be named our new HC, regardless of how bad our offenses have been. And now he's expected to be able to run a run/pass type offense with no prior experience in that area? This promotion almost rivals the idiotic Bruce Kittle hire. What was he coaching at a High School in Iowa when Stoops hired him? Now that's the type of coaching experience that will get you Championships.

this is a fantastic post. i fear our future of mediocrity. i've lost all hope in OU having a run game with this boy as OC. we will watch the football world's slow transition back to power running and tight end dumps while we remain static in sending 15 receivers 5-7 yards deep per snap hoping for a 90 yard play/15 second drive.