PDA

View Full Version : Sensitive much?

SoonerMarkVA
10/12/2013, 02:41 PM
Why was the ironic "fire Heupel!" thread locked? It was clearly an ironic title to start with, and the discussion looked pretty reasonable to me.

soonerinabilene
10/12/2013, 02:43 PM
Ibtl

MyT Oklahoma
10/12/2013, 02:44 PM
It shouldn't matter because it ain't gonna happen.

Josh is a good man and a great QB coach. However, he is not ready for prime time as an OC.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
10/12/2013, 02:53 PM
Maybe because his name was misspelled?

I dunno, I got nothing.

David Earl
10/12/2013, 02:59 PM
Why was the ironic "fire Heupel!" thread locked? It was clearly an ironic title to start with, and the discussion looked pretty reasonable to me.

Not sensitive. Trying to slow down an avalanche.

okiewaker
10/12/2013, 03:02 PM
Think I'm drunk so I'll just babble. No,really have no answer,,,just babble is all I got.

aurorasooner
10/12/2013, 03:18 PM
Yeah, I tried to reply in that thread, and it came up closed. I guess Heupel is untouchable, although his offensive game-plan was offensive, too fragmented and too indecisive today, to say the least, and he got schooled again by a retread DC.

It's not far from the penthouse of beating ND to the outhouse of losing in the Cotton Bowl. Our staff squandered any slight recruiting advantage we gained from beating ND by coughing it up to a mediocre Texas team in Dallas today.
I too, thought they would bring in TK late in the 3rd to run the zone read, and possibly spark our lame offense by breaking a long run. I don't know why I thought they would, as it would take some imagination and preparation, which our staff (especially on the offensive side) just doesn't have when games don't go exactly according to plan.
On Monday, we'll probably hear the SOS, we just didn't execute.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
10/12/2013, 03:20 PM
I'm drunk too so I'll add some babble.

The reason Heupel's team won the 2000 national championship was because all that season they played like they had nothing to lose. And for a while that mindset persisted, i.e. the faked field goal vs. Alabama that one year I can't remember which because I'm drunk.

But at some point it seemed like a mindset took hold to go cautiously and stay in a comfort zone, especially if that comfort zone gets you to the MNC game yet coming up empty every time.

That team had fire well beyond its talent, which won the championship. Ever since, it seems the teams have had more talent but less fire.

Josh must remember this if I can. Why doesn't he (or whoever is calling the shots) spread that mindset around now?

Drunken babble. Just saying.

Widescreen
10/12/2013, 03:51 PM
Yeah, all this thread locking is stupid. There was nothing wrong with the Blake Bell thread and yet it got locked anyway.

tulsaoilerfan
10/12/2013, 03:57 PM
We will never seriously contend again until we ditch this offense; if ur qb has a bad game u will lose because u are way too dependent on him

bluedogok
10/12/2013, 04:01 PM
We will never seriously contend again until we ditch this offense; if ur qb has a bad game u will lose because u are way too dependent on him
That is how about 95% of football is played these day, college or pro.

Temujin
10/12/2013, 04:02 PM
It shouldn't matter because it ain't gonna happen.

Josh is a good man and a great QB coach. However, he is not ready for prime time as an OC.

I feel the same way about Heupel as I did Venables. Great position coach. Out of his element as a coordinator.

Curly Bill
10/12/2013, 04:04 PM
I feel the same way about Heupel as I did Venables. Great position coach. Out of his element as a coordinator.

Agreed

SOONER44EVER
10/12/2013, 04:07 PM
Venables seems to be doing pretty good now. Heupel did fine last year. It's amazing how much better a coordinator looks when he has good players.

Curly Bill
10/12/2013, 04:09 PM
Venables seems to be doing pretty good now. Heupel did fine last year. It's amazing how much better a coordinator looks when he has good players.

A change of scenery may have done BV some good, but I don't know that Heupel has ever really been up to the OC job.

And yep, I was one that wanted to see Kevin Wilson go (I still wouldn't take him back) and see Josh get a chance.

SOONER44EVER
10/12/2013, 04:16 PM
A change of scenery may have done BV some good, but I don't know that Heupel has ever really been up to the OC job.

And yep, I was one that wanted to see Kevin Wilson go (I still wouldn't take him back) and see Josh get a chance.
You mean Kevin 3rd and long Wilson?

aurorasooner
10/12/2013, 04:21 PM

And yep, I was one that wanted to see Kevin Wilson go (I still wouldn't take him back) and see Josh get a chance. Although he got a few ""meerkat looks from our offensive players, I'd take KW back in heartbeat over Heupel. At least he usually got his plays called in a timely manner.
I think a play-caller (OC) has either got it or he doesn't. and imo Heupel hasn't got it. Great QB coach though. I wish he'd take the "Cale Gundy" route and be satisfied to be on the field and not in the booth.