PDA

View Full Version : fire Huepel!

OU_Sooners75
10/12/2013, 01:48 PM
Eom

NorthernIowaSooner
10/12/2013, 02:30 PM
Questionable playcalling all year. Really backfiring today. I'm not in favor of firing him but give Norvell some more control and see what happens.

SoonerMarkVA
10/12/2013, 02:35 PM
I cannot imagine what Heup was thinking, going away from the 2 FB w/ Ford sets. Especially after that last 1st and 10 from the 11. Pass on 2nd and 3rd down? "Questionable" is a very kind way of putting it.

Okie35
10/12/2013, 02:36 PM
Yup we were running well ... and running well to the outside too.. Then got away from it quickly. I don't even know why we didn't try Knight for a few snaps running the zone read.

David Earl
10/12/2013, 02:38 PM
Dumb thread

David Earl
10/12/2013, 03:00 PM
I'll re-open on the idea this is a sarcastic thread.

Sarcastic away, you people.

OU_Sooners75
10/12/2013, 03:10 PM
Huepel sucks and is in way over his head. He should never have been given the position he is in. I've thought this since he took over in 2010. And stick with it now.

I have even given the guy the benefit of the doubt on more than one occasion.

But he is quick to abandon what works.

OU_Sooners75
10/12/2013, 03:12 PM

Please give us your wisdom.

You cannot tell me he is deserving of the position he is in when every 2 out of every 3 games he has a game plan that just sucks. He abandons what works too damn quickly.

Yes today OU got outplayed. But Huepel made our offense very predictable all game long.

Soonerus
10/12/2013, 03:15 PM
Let the flaming begin...how many dogs can people find to kick ???

Soonerus
10/12/2013, 03:17 PM
Huepel played the hand he was dealt...

mhackl
10/12/2013, 03:17 PM

Who you callin "you people"!?

Soonerus
10/12/2013, 03:21 PM
Who you callin "you people"!?

i understand fully...

soonerloyal
10/12/2013, 03:24 PM
Meh. I'm not nearly as upset as I would expect myself to be. A part of me isn't even surprised at all.

Damn. None of that was sarcastic, either. That sucks. :grumpy:

dossett5
10/12/2013, 03:29 PM
I don't feel Huepel is the problem. The problem lies with our offensive line can't can't stay with their blocks, the receivers won't block down field. The biggest problem is our d coordinator. Bob bringing in his brother because he can't keep a head coaching position. He ran off one of the best coordinators in College football.

OU_Sooners75
10/12/2013, 03:31 PM
Let the flaming begin...how many dogs can people find to kick ???

I'm not kicking any dogs. But what we have witnessed since Huepel has taken the reigns is poor play calling/strategy for the last 4 seasons (including this one).

I understand sometimes things just don't go right. However, one middle screen this game against a blitzing defense on third down, result 40 yards.

The power rushing was working. He abandoned it when we needed a score the most. Abandoned.

Just two deep balls. One was dropped. The other well defended. It was there had they called a couple more times. Abandoned.

One seam route by Millard. Abandoned.

The flares out of the backfield were available all game. Abandoned.

However a bunch of passes within 7 yards of the LOS. With virtually no YAC. Ran these plays all game.

Jet sweeps, very minimal gains, but one time. Kept doing it.

Run up the gut from a single back formation. Kept doing it.

Yes you got to mix it up. And not all plays are going to work. But when the defense is daring you to beat them with your arm, then get creative. Wheel routes would be awesome. Double moves by the WRs to get the DBs to bite. 10-15 yard slant passes.

My hats off to Texas for playing great and bringing things we haven't seen all year. But wow to OU!

SoonerMarkVA
10/12/2013, 03:32 PM

I take it back. Clearly the guy who can't spell the coach's name is on a crusade. I assumed it was the new "fire vulnerables!!1" type thread.

Soonerus
10/12/2013, 03:34 PM
Didn't most people think going into this season that because we are so young this was probably not "the year" ?

OU_Sooners75
10/12/2013, 03:34 PM
Actually spelling it incorrectly on purpose.

Not really on a crusade. Just flat out sick of the **** poor game plans for the offense.

No zone reads. No run pass options. Stuff that Texas is weak against.

OU_Sooners75
10/12/2013, 03:35 PM
Didn't most people think going into this season that because we are so young this was probably not "the year" ?

I didn't think this year or next year is the year. But **** poor game plans and play calling is getting old.

Curly Bill
10/12/2013, 03:36 PM
Most OC's I can watch call plays and get at least some sense of what they are trying to do; with Heupel too many times I get no sense that he really has a plan - much more along the lines of throwing various things against the wall. Problem is even when he sometimes finds something that sticks there's no surety that he'll come back to it.

dossett5
10/12/2013, 03:36 PM
Look at the points that Texas put on the board!! Play selection could have been better but you have to beat the guy that lines up in front of you. We ere loaded with talent Bob refused to control the clock with his offense. We are having the same problem know 3 and out and the defense back on the field. Ven. realized how tough this was on his players and managed the defensive game better. He utilized everyone he had!!

Curly Bill
10/12/2013, 03:38 PM

Whether this was "the year" or not, we still should not have lost to a ****-poor program like Texas. Hell, they're just a week removed from losing to Iowa State for Christ sakes!!!

Soonerus
10/12/2013, 03:40 PM
Whether this was "the year" or not, we still should not have lost to a ****-poor program like Texas. Hell, they're just a week removed from losing to Iowa State for Christ sakes!!!

I agree they should have lost to Iowa State...

NorthernIowaSooner
10/12/2013, 03:43 PM

Whether or not it is "the year," it is not acceptable to roll over and be unprepared. Both on the field and coaching-wise they looked unprepared. Texas has allowed huge gashing runs all year but that isn't what we went for.

We were out coached and more so, out prepared.

Soonerus
10/12/2013, 03:45 PM
Do you go from the Penthouse to the outhouse quicker in coaching than any other profession ???

NorthernIowaSooner
10/12/2013, 03:51 PM
It's a tough gig to have your job broadcast on TV every week.

slvraro
10/12/2013, 04:13 PM
Josh H. is the reason BOB gets those millions. We're still paying him for the fluke Nat Champ he won a decade ago. Don't get me wrong I have been a Stoops fan a long time but his time is over. The word is out that young recruits don't think BOB can win the big one even if he has the best team. Look at the recruit class rankings. Not even in the top 10 anymore and won't be until hes gone. How many coaches could keep their job after failing miserbly with 2 Heisman trophy QBs and the greatest running back on the planet. Apparently he does not know how to instill toughness in his teams. Who remembers the remarks from that ahole USC QB Matt Leinhart said after that embarrassment. He said that OU players were begging them to "Let up on us" in 4th qtr after the game was out of hand? OR how about the Florida Nat Champ game when it was out of hand in 4th qtr and Tim Tebow decided he wanted to embarrass us by virtually single handedly RUNNING over our defense on almost every play. Now he hires back his brother as DC and now we can't stop pedestrian traffic. Todays game at Texas is the Stoops defense I remember. But we will stick with BOB until we start having John Blake type seasons. Bob has other things on his mind these days. He needs to just move on now so we can still have a FEW good memories of his tenure.

David Earl
10/12/2013, 04:14 PM
I'm not sold on Heupel's play calling. I think he's a great QB coach, but I'm not sure he's the one we should have in the booth. Execution by the offense makes plays called look better, but still...

Wishboned
10/12/2013, 05:34 PM
I'm not sold on Heupel's play calling. I think he's a great QB coach, but I'm not sure he's the one we should have in the booth. Execution by the offense makes plays called look better, but still...

I agree. I think he should be on the field to talk to Bell or Knight after they come off the field and work with them. I think that's why Bradford was so good, and I think that's why Landry's development never progressed. Let Norvell have some booth time.

SoonerMarkVA
10/12/2013, 05:42 PM
I agree. I think he should be on the field to talk to Bell or Knight after they come off the field and work with them. I think that's why Bradford was so good, and I think that's why Landry's development never progressed. Let Norvell have some booth time.

Another agree. I felt this way from the beginning of Heup being named OC. I was like, "OK, cool, but he's staying on the field, right?" Just look at the night-and-day QB production between Heup on the field (going all the way back to his GA days) and Heup *not* on the field.

Put Norvell in the booth. Hell, give Norvell a shot to call the plays. But most importantly, get Heup back on the sideline!

ashley
10/12/2013, 07:17 PM
Josh H. is the reason BOB gets those millions. We're still paying him for the fluke Nat Champ he won a decade ago. Don't get me wrong I have been a Stoops fan a long time but his time is over. The word is out that young recruits don't think BOB can win the big one even if he has the best team. Look at the recruit class rankings. Not even in the top 10 anymore and won't be until hes gone. How many coaches could keep their job after failing miserbly with 2 Heisman trophy QBs and the greatest running back on the planet. Apparently he does not know how to instill toughness in his teams. Who remembers the remarks from that ahole USC QB Matt Leinhart said after that embarrassment. He said that OU players were begging them to "Let up on us" in 4th qtr after the game was out of hand? OR how about the Florida Nat Champ game when it was out of hand in 4th qtr and Tim Tebow decided he wanted to embarrass us by virtually single handedly RUNNING over our defense on almost every play. Now he hires back his brother as DC and now we can't stop pedestrian traffic. Todays game at Texas is the Stoops defense I remember. But we will stick with BOB until we start having John Blake type seasons. Bob has other things on his mind these days. He needs to just move on now so we can still have a FEW good memories of his tenure.

Oh come on. silly stuff.

SOONER44EVER
10/12/2013, 07:21 PM
Josh H. is the reason BOB gets those millions. We're still paying him for the fluke Nat Champ he won a decade ago. Don't get me wrong I have been a Stoops fan a long time but his time is over. The word is out that young recruits don't think BOB can win the big one even if he has the best team. Look at the recruit class rankings. Not even in the top 10 anymore and won't be until hes gone. How many coaches could keep their job after failing miserbly with 2 Heisman trophy QBs and the greatest running back on the planet. Apparently he does not know how to instill toughness in his teams. Who remembers the remarks from that ahole USC QB Matt Leinhart said after that embarrassment. He said that OU players were begging them to "Let up on us" in 4th qtr after the game was out of hand? OR how about the Florida Nat Champ game when it was out of hand in 4th qtr and Tim Tebow decided he wanted to embarrass us by virtually single handedly RUNNING over our defense on almost every play. Now he hires back his brother as DC and now we can't stop pedestrian traffic. Todays game at Texas is the Stoops defense I remember. But we will stick with BOB until we start having John Blake type seasons. Bob has other things on his mind these days. He needs to just move on now so we can still have a FEW good memories of his tenure. That is quite possibly the worst first post this board has ever seen. Congrats!!!

bluedogok
10/12/2013, 07:28 PM
Put down the crack pipe and step away.....

okiewaker
10/12/2013, 07:30 PM
I put more weight on the GAME PLAN than i do the play calling. Hype SUCKED at both today. That is all!

SOONER44EVER
10/12/2013, 07:31 PM
I put more weight on the GAME PLAN than i do the play calling. Hype SUCKED at both today. That is all!

Bad game plan, bad play calling and not good enough players.

olevetonahill
10/12/2013, 07:46 PM
Dumb thread

Yup!

okiewaker
10/12/2013, 07:49 PM

Bad game plan, bad play calling and not good enough players.

You continually make a complete *** of yourself. Congrats!

SOONER44EVER
10/12/2013, 07:50 PM
You continually make a complete *** of yourself. Congrats! You think these players are good enough to win it all?

okiewaker
10/12/2013, 07:59 PM
You continually make a complete *** of yourself. Congrats! You think these players are good enough to win it all?

Aynt no doubt in my mind!

SOONER44EVER
10/12/2013, 08:01 PM
Aynt no doubt in my mind!
OK.

CatfishSooner
10/12/2013, 08:18 PM
JH is retard... keep runnin out of the diamond w/ miilar, rip and FORD ...they couldnt' ****in stop it all game...**** heuapslll

stoops the eternal pimp
10/12/2013, 08:19 PM
I started mentioning last season that I didn't know if Heupel would know what to do with mobile QBs or a run dominant offense...He still doesn't know.

ashley
10/12/2013, 09:10 PM
I started mentioning last season that I didn't know if Heupel would know what to do with mobile QBs or a run dominant offense...He still doesn't know.

Who is the mobile QB you speak of?

I Am Right
10/12/2013, 09:17 PM
Fire Hueple, Fire Stoops, Fire the other Stoops

OU_Sooners75
10/13/2013, 09:56 AM

Who is the mobile QB you speak of?

You seriously cannot be this ignorant.

slvraro
10/13/2013, 11:40 AM
That is quite possibly the worst first post this board has ever seen. Congrats!!!

Thank you very much! But is that ALL. Somebody tell me I'm wrong. Tell me that none of that happened. Does anybody remember those games or was everyone here in diapers then?

Soonerus
10/13/2013, 11:46 AM
Fire Boren and the band guy too...

SoonerorLater
10/13/2013, 12:02 PM
Not sure about firing Huepel. I don't see much of an offensive philosophy but rather a rather piecemeal hodgepodge of offensive formations. Just more or less throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks.

Though maybe it's about all he can do at this point. They probably geared up for more of a read option type offense based on what they saw from TK in practice. When it became clear TK wasn't game ready Josh tried to cobble together plays that BB can handle with his skill set. The result is an offense that is neither here nor there. We have the partial pieces to run about any offense but not the complete package to run any one type of offense. The power diamond sets have been about as effective as anything we have done but after a few series we go to some completely different style of play. No idea why.

aurorasooner
10/13/2013, 01:03 PM
Not sure about firing Huepel. I don't see much of an offensive philosophy but rather a rather piecemeal hodgepodge of offensive formations. Just more or less throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks.

Though maybe it's about all he can do at this point. They probably geared up for more of a read option type offense based on what they saw from TK in practice. When it became clear TK wasn't game ready Josh tried to cobble together plays that BB can handle with his skill set. The result is an offense that is neither here nor there. We have the partial pieces to run about any offense but not the complete package to run any one type of offense. The power diamond sets have been about as effective as anything we have done but after a few series we go to some completely different style of play. No idea why. It sure makes you appreciate what that Fairbank's offensive staff (Switzer) did in 69 or 70, when they completely changed offensive philosophy in a week and went to the wishbone.
Our current offensive staff could no more go completely in another direction than pigs could fly. Heupel would be so lost it'd take him 2 years to accomplish such a move, and at least a year to get the computer program set up to do it. On the other hand John Blake did it weekly during football season, but with little success.

bluedogok
10/13/2013, 04:52 PM
Blake also had the Twister mat on the sidelines.

OU_Sooners75
10/13/2013, 08:18 PM
Dumb thread

It is especially when someone considers "EOM" the same as bashing players! LMFAO

OU_Sooners75
10/13/2013, 08:24 PM
You think these players are good enough to win it all?

No doubt in my mind that the players on our roster are good enough to win a National Championship.

sooneron
10/13/2013, 08:27 PM
This thread is silly, years ago, people told me that Josh was going to be better than Wilson because they just knew it!

OU_Sooners75
10/13/2013, 08:41 PM
This thread is silly, years ago, people told me that Josh was going to be better than Wilson because they just knew it!

Who said that?

Anyone that said that without Heupel first cutting his edges at a different school or different level is just flat out ignorant.

The oc at OU shoudl be proven, not just granted without showing you can actually do it.

sooneron
10/13/2013, 08:47 PM
Who said that?

Anyone that said that without Heupel first cutting his edges at a different school or different level is just flat out ignorant.

The oc at OU shoudl be proven, not just granted without showing you can actually do it.
Oh trust me, they were there in the "Fire Wilson" threads.

OU_Sooners75
10/13/2013, 08:49 PM
Okay, because I know I never said that. I couldnt believe they would just give him the chance without prior experience.

So far every coach that Stoops has hired or promoted without adequate experience for the positions...have failed.

There is just one left...Heupel.

tulsaoilerfan
10/13/2013, 08:56 PM
No doubt in my mind that the players on our roster are good enough to win a National Championship.

No we are not even close and we haven't been in 5 years; at best we are a top 20 program

olevetonahill
10/13/2013, 09:10 PM

I remember that! Donr member WHO but I do member that!

olevetonahill
10/13/2013, 09:13 PM
No we are not even close and we haven't been in 5 years; at best we are a top 20 program

Tim is saying(I think) thats Because of Coaching Not Players. IF we had the Coaches then THIS TEAM would win it all!

Im saying If I had Wings I could ****in FLY.

Curly Bill
10/13/2013, 09:18 PM
No way the talent on this team is NC quality.

....but it's closer to NC quality than the coaching is!

olevetonahill
10/13/2013, 09:21 PM
No way the talent on this team is NC quality.

....but it's closer to NC quality than the coaching is!

Do we have ANYTHING on this team that Meets yer approval?Serious question.

Johnny Utah
10/13/2013, 09:22 PM
Tim is saying(I think) thats Because of Coaching Not Players. IF we had the Coaches then THIS TEAM would win it all!

Im saying If I had Wings I could ****in FLY.

Well isn't it the coaches' responsibility to recruit the talent, develop the talent and put the talent in the best possible position to win/succeed? I think even at Alabama the players don't just show up and win.

Curly Bill
10/13/2013, 09:31 PM
Do we have ANYTHING on this team that Meets yer approval?Serious question.

Defense isn't as bad as it looked yesterday. I don't think it's great, but it's headed in the right direction. Obviously we have to be better in the middle of that D, but we're gonna struggle getting that talent because big-time linebackers and defensive tackles have their choice of places to go, and few of em want to come to a program that is saddled with the reputation of being a choker.

I like our receivers, but they have to be open by 2-3 steps for either Bell or Knight to complete a pass to them.

In other words: I think we're a good football team/program, but we're gonna be up against it to get any better as long as the current regime is in place!

OU_Sooners75
10/13/2013, 09:46 PM

Didnt say we are a top 5 team. Said we have the talent.

We have a few things going against us right now. Youth and coaches.

There are still a couple of coaches that need to be shown the door.

okiewaker
10/13/2013, 09:53 PM
In terms of talent,,We have it to win a NC,,, to say otherwise is stupid. IMHO.

Curly Bill
10/13/2013, 09:54 PM

Seriously? You think we have a NC quarterback on this team? You think we have a NC defensive line? If you believe that you need to be a lot more careful about throwing around the stupid label!

olevetonahill
10/13/2013, 09:58 PM
Seriously? You think we have a NC quarterback on this team? You think we have a NC defensive line? If you believe that you need to be a lot more careful about throwing around the stupid label!

Want me to Name him? I think we do.

Curly Bill
10/13/2013, 09:59 PM
Want me to Name him? I think we do.

Name who? A NC quarterback?

olevetonahill

Josh won an MNC He wasnt a great Passer. nor a great runner Yet He WON,

okiewaker

It's just my opinion. Don't mean to offend the stupid.

Curly Bill
10/13/2013, 10:02 PM
Josh won an MNC He wasnt a great Passer. nor a great runner Yet He WON,

So, you saying we have another Heupel on this team? Do tell who it is! And in fact please inform Bob and Josh who it is.

aurorasooner
10/13/2013, 10:03 PM
Holy S*&t. we've just made 10 of 40 3rd down attempts in our last 3 games (TCU,ND,Texass) according to Shinn at the Norman Transcript. That's pretty bad, I guess.
I've been sitting here watching the Cowboys/Skins game, and reading some of the press articles on yesterday's game. It looks like they're just as must in the dark about our ridiculous offensive game plan as we are.

Where did they go? Receivers Jalen Saunders and Sterling Shepard were non-factors Saturday. Saunders finished with three catches for 18 yards. The only time Shepard touched the ball was on OU’s opening play where he picked up 24 yards on a reverse.

“Those guys need to be involved,” Heupel said. “Those are two guys that can make plays. We tried to get Sterling involved from the get-go with the reverse to him. We’ve got to find ways to get them the ball.”
Did we ever go back to that reverse or wide receiver sweep or run it from the opposite side, or did it just get filed in the trash after we picked up 24 yards with it?

I don't know what the "Crimson and Cream Machine" is, but I guess this article or blog was published in the USA Today according to the header.
OU Inexplicably Chooses To Employ One Of The Dumbest Offensive Game Plans Imaginable

By Jordan Esco  @Jordan_Esco on Oct 13 2013, 12:32a 55
Tim Heitman-USA TODAY Sports

Now if this was just a blog or message board post, if I was the head coach, I probably wouldn't be too disturbed by it, however when the USA Today publishes it, I would probably sit up and take some notice, as some future recruits are probably reading it.
Remember when we (or some of us) were younger and you used to pretend it was opposite day?

Up was down, left was right, yes meant no.

It was dumb, annoying, and really didn't make a whole lot of sense.

Well that pretty much sums up the offensive game plan Josh Heupel designed for this 108th meeting between these two hated rivals.

Literally nothing that this OU offense did made any sense. It was almost as if none of the offensive coaches on OU's staff watched any film from Texas' previous games.

It was, quite frankly, one of the dumbest possible game plans someone could have created for this game. I'm not entirely sure if your intention was to do the exact opposite of everything you should do that someone could have recreated what Heupel did Saturday.

Curly Bill
10/13/2013, 10:03 PM
It's just my opinion. Don't mean to offend the stupid.

If you think this team has NC quality talent I doubt your opinion would offend anyone too greatly.

bluedogok
10/13/2013, 10:04 PM
There was one or two attempted passes to Shep but he needed a saddle.

Johnny Utah
10/13/2013, 10:10 PM
Holy S*&t. we've just made 10 of 40 3rd down attempts in our last 3 games (TCU,ND,Texass) according to Shinn at the Norman Transcript. That's pretty bad, I guess.
I've been sitting here watching the Cowboys/Skins game, and reading some of the press articles on yesterday's game. It looks like they're just as must in the dark about our ridiculous offensive game plan as we are.
Did we ever go back to that reverse or wide receiver sweep, or did it just get filed in the trash after we picked up 24 yards with it?

I don't know what the "Crimson and Cream Machine" is, but I guess this article or blog was published in the USA Today according to the header.
Now if this was just a blog or message board post, if I was the head coach, I probably wouldn't be too disturbed by it, however when the USA Today publishes it, I would probably sit up and take some notice, as some future recruits are probably reading it.

Crimson & Cream Machine is part of SBNation so it is pretty legit. Jordan Esco is usually on target with his assessments. He is also pretty active on twitter.

okiewaker
10/13/2013, 10:13 PM
Athletes keep coming in,,,Bob says he getting what he wants that fit. Only thing changed over the years is coaches. Not real hard to figure out this one.

delhalew
10/13/2013, 10:23 PM
I just knew Josh would be a great OC. He certainly was great with the QBs.

Truth is he has made some terrible gameplans and in game decisions.

It's beyond me to understand what his problem is. You would think he has the tools to be a great one.

So far...terrible. Absolutely terrible.

olevetonahill
10/13/2013, 10:31 PM
So, you saying we have another Heupel on this team? Do tell who it is! And in fact please inform Bob and Josh who it is.

Theres the CB i know and love. I dint say that a fukintall now did I. I simply said That Josh did it and he wernt that great. You already KNOW who I think should be the starter
Bear in mind that its just MHO. ok?

Curly Bill
10/13/2013, 10:36 PM
Theres the CB i know and love. I dint say that a fukintall now did I. I simply said That Josh did it and he wernt that great. You already KNOW who I think should be the starter
Bear in mind that its just MHO. ok?

Josh had little to no athleticism, and he had a relatively weak arm, but he did have a couple of things neither QB we've trotted out there this year has shown: he could read a defense, and he could throw it accurately. Give me that in a QB and we're good to go!

And yeah, I did find it odd to type how he could read a defense as a QB, because now as an OC he seems to have no idea how to call a game! (Not that those are the same thing, but you'd think being able to do the one would help with being able to do the other)

olevetonahill
10/13/2013, 10:45 PM
Josh had little to no athleticism, and he had a relatively weak arm, but he did have a couple of things neither QB we've trotted out there this year has shown: he could read a defense, and he could throw it accurately. Give me that in a QB and we're good to go!

And yeah, I did find it odd to type how he could read a defense as a QB, because now as an OC he seems to have no idea how to call a game! (Not that those are the same thing, but you'd think being able to do the one would help with being able to do the other)

:friendly_wink:

bluedogok
10/13/2013, 10:50 PM
I just knew Josh would be a great OC. He certainly was great with the QBs.

Truth is he has made some terrible gameplans and in game decisions.

It's beyond me to understand what his problem is. You would think he has the tools to be a great one.

So far...terrible. Absolutely terrible.
I think it is a position that you just need some experience and varied experience helps. I think Gundy's time at Maryland helped remove him from the insulated world he was in at OSU, just gives a person a different perspective on things. Josh (and Applewhite) is just too young and inexperienced at coaching at this time. He wouldn't be the first to have it happen and won't be the last.

I think it is different trying to call the right play from the booth than it is doing pre-snap reads into play options.

Curly Bill
10/13/2013, 11:25 PM
I think it is different trying to call the right play from the booth than it is doing pre-snap reads into play options.

No question about it, but you'd think both would require a head that could think football. Apparently Josh's could read a defense from behind center, but not able to call a game from the booth.

sooneron
10/14/2013, 07:49 PM
How good of a qb was Norm Chow or Mike Leach? ....

TrophyCollector
10/14/2013, 08:01 PM
No question about it, but you'd think both would require a head that could think football. Apparently Josh's could read a defense from behind center, but not able to call a game from the booth.

Gabe Ikard *** cam, problem solved.

OU_Sooners75
10/14/2013, 08:06 PM
Why do some people allow what Heupel did as a player weigh in what he has done as a coach?

OU_Sooners75
10/14/2013, 08:22 PM
Look Heupel was thrust into a position that takes some time to master. A few things have hindered Heupel, IMO.

1. He has never been an offensive coordinator anywhere else. Most coaches around his age that are offensive coordinators took different paths and they are showing that the different experiences are paying off.

Kliff Kingsbury is now a head coach, but before he was a OC at smaller schools before getting his shot at A&M.
Major Applewhite took a few years at a smaller school before going back to Texas.

Those are just two examples. The only other school Heupel has been too was Arizona. He was never an OC there.

2. He is trying to implement too many offensive schemes into his own offense. He is trying to implement an offense that is a mix between Leach and Wilson. And also some pistol and diamond formations. He is trying to be too complex on offense.

He needs to simplify his offense. Find a pass:run ratio he wants to get too. Then plan on what type of offense his base will be. And that leads to the next one.

3. He has absolutely no offensive identity. And since he doesn't it makes it tougher to game plan and to stick with it.

And as a bonus he doesn't use arguably the most versatile type of player in any offense, the Tight End.

A TE is a good position to utilize. They bring different dimensions to any offense and also create mismatches vs. defenses.

I love what Heupel has done for OU as a player and even a position coach. But as an offensive coordinator he hasn't got it. And after 3.5 seasons the likelihood that he does, is slim .

OU_Sooners75
10/14/2013, 08:25 PM
How good of a qb was Norm Chow or Mike Leach? ....

Or Charlie Weiss

Breadburner
10/14/2013, 08:25 PM
Where is Fuente.....???

OU_Sooners75
10/14/2013, 08:26 PM
Where is Fuente.....???

Head coach at Memphis I believe

OU_Sooners75
10/14/2013, 08:29 PM
Garrick McGee?

sooneron
10/14/2013, 08:37 PM
Or Charlie Weiss

It would probably be easier to compile a list of OCs that were good Qbs...

Breadburner
10/14/2013, 08:40 PM
Head coach at Memphis I believe

Yep....!!!

TrophyCollector
10/14/2013, 08:48 PM

Chuck Long

OU_Sooners75
10/14/2013, 09:50 PM
Or Charlie Weiss

It probably would be!

Just because a coach was a good QB doesn't mean he wi he a good coach, let alone OC.

Heck I would be willing to bet that a lot of the great OCs were OL or defensive players, if they did play.

Curly Bill
10/14/2013, 09:55 PM
I would agree with the deal about OL players/coaches being as likely to make good OC's. Better understanding of the nuance involved in the running game and pass blocking.

OU_Sooners75
10/14/2013, 10:02 PM
I would agree with the deal about OL players/coaches being as likely to make good OC's. Better understanding of the nuance involved in the running game and pass blocking.

Well wasn't Kevin Wilson an OL?

Curly Bill
10/14/2013, 10:04 PM

Yup, but I didn't say ALL offensive line guys made good coordinators - just like all ex-quarterback types won't be as lame as Heupel is.

As ready as I was to get rid of Wilson he was a helluva lot better than Heupel has proven to be.

OU_Sooners75
10/14/2013, 10:07 PM

Yup, but I didn't say ALL offensive line guys made good coordinators - just like all ex-quarterback types won't be as lame as Heupel is.

As ready as I was to get rid of Wilson he was a helluva lot better than Heupel has proven to be.

Kevin Wilson was arguably the best OC at OU under Stoops. Yes Leach was a good one too, but he didn't stick around past one year, so I'll rank him 3rd behind Mangino.

soonercastor
10/19/2013, 03:53 PM
Holy **** trick play

soonercastor
11/7/2013, 08:38 PM
Bump

SoonerMarkVA
11/7/2013, 08:43 PM
I have to say, this was the worst imaginable gameplan possible. It's making the ut gameplan seem competent. I am stunned.

JLEW1818
11/7/2013, 08:57 PM
100% horrible

ashley
11/7/2013, 09:15 PM
It's not the play calling, it's that we don't have a QB.

JLEW1818
11/7/2013, 09:16 PM
We have neither

FaninAma
11/7/2013, 09:21 PM
I see why Bell didn't win the starting job this summer.

NorthernIowaSooner
11/7/2013, 09:26 PM
Heupel has had some rough games but I'm not sure this is on him. It might be that the players aren't that good.

QB: Play has been awful, Knight running plays worked somewhat, Bell running plays can be seen coming from miles away and are slow developing. They also clearly don't trust Bell to throw more than a few yards downfield, rightfully so based on the interception.

OL: Someone with more player eval might bring more to this but what is going on up front? They are big, experienced, and don't seem to be very good on the run. I'm not sure what the issue is here but they seem to get pushed around.

WR: Can't make plays if they can't get the ball.

ouduckhunter
11/7/2013, 09:29 PM
Unlike in government, somebody here must be held accountable for this debacle we call our offense!

EatLeadCommie
11/7/2013, 09:33 PM
On 4th and 6 inches on the goal line they call a Bell run from the shotgun instead of a sneak even though that hadn't worked all day. Then, with a minute left he has Bell throwing the ball even though that had been such a success all day and we get the ball first.

His idea of surprise is to trot out TK for one play or two then bring back BB, in the meantime causing the rest of the team to go into full retard mode.

Bell has stunk, but the clock has run out on josh.

instigator
11/7/2013, 09:39 PM
Heupel is worthless. I want to get in on this thread. Is it too late?

instigator
11/7/2013, 09:40 PM
Heupel has had some rough games but I'm not sure this is on him. It might be that the players aren't that good.

QB: Play has been awful, Knight running plays worked somewhat, Bell running plays can be seen coming from miles away and are slow developing. They also clearly don't trust Bell to throw more than a few yards downfield, rightfully so based on the interception.

OL: Someone with more player eval might bring more to this but what is going on up front? They are big, experienced, and don't seem to be very good on the run. I'm not sure what the issue is here but they seem to get pushed around.

WR: Can't make plays if they can't get the ball.

Dude. I can definitely blame him for throwing the ball with 57 seconds left in the half and gifting a TD to Baylor.

NorthernIowaSooner
11/7/2013, 09:42 PM
Dude. I can definitely blame him for throwing the ball with 57 seconds left in the half and gifting a TD to Baylor.

You likely would've been against him taking a knee or just running the ball up the middle. It was a bad throw by Bell cause he stared down Saunders.

I'm not a Heupel apologist but that is a bad example. We needed points, we've been a quick strike offense in the past. Worth a shot.

instigator
11/7/2013, 09:45 PM
You likely would've been against him taking a knee or just running the ball up the middle. It was a bad throw by Bell cause he stared down Saunders.

I'm not a Heupel apologist but that is a bad example. We needed points, we've been a quick strike offense in the past. Worth a shot.

No I wouldn't have been. I was saying it to my wife. Just run the ball. Kill the clock.

NorthernIowaSooner
11/7/2013, 09:47 PM
No I wouldn't have been. I was saying it to my wife. Just run the ball. Kill the clock.

I was for trying to score.

Interesting to hear Stoops call out the offense. He usually isn't that candid. He might be getting tired of this crap.

instigator
11/7/2013, 09:52 PM
I was for trying to score.

Interesting to hear Stoops call out the offense. He usually isn't that candid. He might be getting tired of this crap.

I hear you but this O sucks and I was for limiting our losses.

ashley
11/7/2013, 09:55 PM
Nobody is very good without a QB.

NorthernIowaSooner
11/7/2013, 10:00 PM
Nobody is very good without a QB.

At some point that falls on the staff. They recruited them, wanted badly to get a run/pass QB. Now they have neither.

EatLeadCommie
11/7/2013, 10:02 PM
For those not at the game, the offense is running around confused every time there is a sub. That's on josh too

soonercastor
11/7/2013, 10:03 PM
Damn

OU_Sooners75
11/7/2013, 10:16 PM
Hmmm...

I think the Krispy Kreme truck finally showed up!

Seriously though, that last drive I swear Norvell was on the sidelines calling the plays. He kept telling the sign holders what to go with!

instigator
11/7/2013, 10:20 PM
Amazing what happens when they use Finch.

NorthernIowaSooner
11/7/2013, 10:38 PM
Made some nice calls on the TD drive and immediately put his head back in his *** where it resides for most of the game.

kenth68
11/7/2013, 11:24 PM
The thing that bugs me is that we have co-offensive coordinators. Just stick Norvell as OC and lose this idea of two people at the top. Stick one person there to make decisions, not some group therapy disguised as football. Heupel should focus on teaching Bell how to throw...

Temujin
11/7/2013, 11:26 PM
Look, we OPENED the game against a high-powered offense and a defense known to be vulnerable up the middle with the following 3 plays: An end around (3 yard loss). Screen pass out wide (incomplete). Screen pass (incomplete). That was the strategy AFTER our defense shutdown the Baylor offense on the first drive of the game. It doesn't matter if our offensive players all came straight out of the pee wee league. A game plan like that is NOT going to win games.

ObiKaTony
11/8/2013, 12:38 AM
Same people not calling for heuple to be fired are the same The ones/kind that said venebles shouldn't go. Can you imagine this team with that d coordinator today? This offense is a running disaster. Delays, t/o, play calling, etc... I swear to god I don't know what kind of offense we are running, but to say it sucks. Baylors D is aweful, and we can't muster more than 10 points? Change is good, and it can't come soon enough..,

ObiKaTony
11/8/2013, 12:39 AM
Look, we OPENED the game against a high-powered offense and a defense known to be vulnerable up the middle with the following 3 plays: An end around (3 yard loss). Screen pass out wide (incomplete). Screen pass (incomplete). That was the strategy AFTER our defense shutdown the Baylor offense on the first drive of the game. It doesn't matter if our offensive players all came straight out of the pee wee league. A game plan like that is NOT going to win games.

Great points...