PDA

View Full Version : LOL Barking Carnival calls B Bell "the Yeti" and Millard "Sasquatch"

aurorasooner
10/10/2013, 02:04 AM
These are the throws with which their Yeti QB is most comfortable, throwing in rhythm to receivers with separation thanks to the threat of the run. His execution of the quick and vertical passing game that Landry Jones and Sam Bradford dominated with in previous years isn't quite there yet.

Finally, there's the Yeti. Despite his massive size and lack of elite speed, he is an elusive foe with a knack for disappearing into the mountains only to emerge screaming and brandishing a club in your face when you least expect it.

Yeti-hunting is a noble pursuit but one fraught with peril. Oklahoma can and will deploy him against Texas in the middle of the field on "Power-Read" (with the sweeping back one that can really punish Texas), they have a QB draw game, they can run inside zone or stretch with Sasquatch (Millard) leading the way for Yeti, or they can use zone-read:

On this game-clinching play Sasquatch took TCU's safety Chris Hackett on a 10 yard ride while somehow also removing another 210 pound safety, no. 26 Derrick Kindred, from the picture as well. Yeti's slow gait allowed 215 pound star strong safety Sam Carter to arrive with leverage only to get an elbow in the face and the taste of turf as his reward.http://www.barkingcarnival.com/2013/10/9/4819766/the-2013-red-river-rivalry-texas-longhorns-defense-of-the-oklahoma-sooners-offense-blake-bell

yermom
10/10/2013, 06:49 AM
That's kinda awesome

dwarthog
10/10/2013, 07:14 AM
Bringing down the Yeti and taking his precious scalp to sell to fans of the Discovery channel will require some brute strength.

Nice read.

BoulderSooner79
10/10/2013, 07:31 AM
His "Yeti" and "Sasquatch" analogies are humorous, but I think his analysis is spot on. The down-field passing game is the only aspect we have yet to see out of this years squad and if I were Robinson, I would risk that it won't suddenly appear. I think we win regardless, but if Bell has a breakout game in this area we would have another rout.

KantoSooner
10/10/2013, 08:34 AM
How fast is UT's secondary? If not elite, then we have one or two guys (Saunders springs to mind) who could give a hitch and just run under a ball.
We did not see that with TCU due to their 2ndry speed and at ND due to ... what? fear of their line penetration?

I'm not ready to write off Bell's downfield ability quite yet.

mhackl
10/10/2013, 12:03 PM
I'm not sure why people still dismiss Bell's passing ability.
He's thrown well in short situations, and he's thrown the deep ball. Sure, he didn't throw much against TCU, but TCU dry humped our receivers all night long. So, you can't blame him for not throwing it more. He's thrown in some tight situations, but he hasn't been intercepted yet.

He's not making Romo/Landryesque decisions.

All things considered, he's done a pretty good job.

picasso
10/10/2013, 12:23 PM
The dry hump is such a jip.

mhackl
10/10/2013, 01:00 PM
If it turns out that OU's vertical passing game is more polished than expected, none of this matters and the game gets out of hand quickly.

"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it."

yermom
10/10/2013, 01:01 PM
Bell has impressed me with his decisions passing for the most part, as well as how hard he seems to be to take down back there

he doesn't seem to mind company much in the pocket with him

he just needs to not run to the edge as much. i don't really see him outrunning dudes

KantoSooner
10/10/2013, 01:25 PM
He's not going to outrun DB's, but I can remember a couple of long runs he's pulled over the past couple of years and, though he wasn't pulling away, they weren't catching up too fast, either. Dude is faster than he looks. (and he looks pretty funny sometimes, I'll admit)

8timechamps
10/10/2013, 02:37 PM
Good read, and he's right about the way Texas should approach OU while on defense. However, I don't see Mack (or Robinson) taking too many risks and going with 1 high coverage in the secondary. There is no question our receivers can beat their DBs, and Blake has shown more than enough in his ability to throw down field.

IF Texas goes that route, I would expect Bell to have as good a passing day as he did against Tulsa. I think the whorns will run the same two high we saw both ND and TCU run, forcing us to run the ball and be effective in the short passing game.

8timechamps
10/10/2013, 02:39 PM
He's not going to outrun DB's, but I can remember a couple of long runs he's pulled over the past couple of years and, though he wasn't pulling away, they weren't catching up too fast, either. Dude is faster than he looks. (and he looks pretty funny sometimes, I'll admit)

He's a momentum runner. Kinda cumbersome to get started, but once he gets moving, he can run much faster than it looks. That's the biggest difference in Bell/Knight (running game), Knight is very agile and accelerated much quicker. Bell is a Mack truck...slow to start, but not easy to stop.

8timechamps
10/10/2013, 02:42 PM
How fast is UT's secondary? If not elite, then we have one or two guys (Saunders springs to mind) who could give a hitch and just run under a ball.
We did not see that with TCU due to their 2ndry speed and at ND due to ... what? fear of their line penetration?

I'm not ready to write off Bell's downfield ability quite yet.

They have one guy in their secondary that has "elite" speed: Quandre Diggs. Problem is, he's not as good in his coverage game. Otherwise, Saunders is faster than every guy back there. Shepard may be too.

BoulderSooner79
10/10/2013, 03:01 PM

His longer runs were from the Belldozer set where the defense gambled with everyone at the line. Once Bell cleared the line, they had to catch him from behind and he would be moving pretty fast by then. On a more normal play, such as escaping the pocket, there are several defenders back in coverage. They converge on him pretty fast and he doesn't make them miss too often. He can deliver a blow to the poor DB that gets there first. But he has been sliding to protect himself unless the yards are critical - as he should.

aurorasooner
10/10/2013, 04:23 PM
Texas O vs OU D article is up.
Personnel-wise, this is one of the more athletic OU D's we've seen in some time...maybe since Stoops was last here in 2002.

If we use any empty formations I'm going to send a letter to the Dallas DA everyday urging him to try Mack and Major for conspiracy to commit murder and criminal conspiracy (point shaving).

If it turns out that Texas can run the ball on Oklahoma, then things could get interesting. If Case's limitations are paired with an attempt by Applewhite to run spread-option concepts against a loaded box and lightning defense then we may look back at this as the worst beating in Stoops vs Brown history. http://www.barkingcarnival.com/2013/10/10/4823934/texas-longhorns-offense-vs-oklahoma-sooners-defense-2013-preview

BlownGP
10/10/2013, 11:23 PM
He's a momentum runner. Kinda cumbersome to get started, but once he gets moving, he can run much faster than it looks. That's the biggest difference in Bell/Knight (running game), Knight is very agile and accelerated much quicker. Bell is a Mack truck...slow to start, but not easy to stop.

lol.. That's about right too..

HOONK HOOONK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mhackl
10/10/2013, 11:30 PM
I can't believe that I'm willing to adopt a nickname given by a whorn.

mainline13
10/11/2013, 09:18 PM
I can't believe that I'm willing to adopt a nickname given by a whorn.

Or even 2. I kind of like both of them.