PDA

View Full Version : Cale Gundy

8timechamps
10/9/2013, 07:24 PM
Sooner Playbook just did a "mic'ed up" piece on Cale, and it got me thinking...

He's turned into a pretty damn good coach for us.

Not only has he done a really good job of coaching the backs, he's been an excellent recruiter at the position. He rarely gets mentioned, and yet he's done some really good stuff for us.

colleyvillesooner
10/9/2013, 07:28 PM
Who?

mojorisen2014
10/9/2013, 08:04 PM
Who?you can't honestly tell me you don't know who Cale is. Mike Gundys son. Dumbarse

colleyvillesooner
10/9/2013, 08:07 PM
Ohhhhh, that Cale Gundy! I was thinking of a different Cale Gundy. My bad.

Soonerwake
10/9/2013, 08:25 PM
you can't honestly tell me you don't know who Cale is. Mike Gundys son. Dumbarse

WTH??

picasso
10/9/2013, 09:03 PM
Mike's sons are Walker and Texas Ranger.

soonerloyal
10/9/2013, 09:05 PM
Brother.

birddog
10/9/2013, 09:45 PM
No doubt he's been very good and I think he's totally cool with staying where he is. I've always thought it strange that he could coach rbs. He's recruited and developed a lot of great backs. 8xc why don't you compile a list of backs in cales career? That'd boss.

8timechamps
10/9/2013, 09:53 PM
No doubt he's been very good and I think he's totally cool with staying where he is. I've always thought it strange that he could coach rbs. He's recruited and developed a lot of great backs. 8xc why don't you compile a list of backs in cales career? That'd boss.

Good idea, I'll put that together.

aurorasooner
10/9/2013, 11:13 PM
No question Cale is an excellent RB recruiter.
I do have an issue with his coaching our RBs though. Our RBs don't show any patience in waiting for the hole to open like so many other team's RBs do. The Sooner RBs seem to do it on individual talent if there's an immediate hole by the OL to get them to the 2nd level. If there's not an immediate hole created by our OL, they seem to run up the backs of our OL and consequently get stuffed for negative or little gain (which included AD).
Also, our running plays seem to have very little misdirection. I was impressed with the almost immediate cutback after the hand off in the TCU game. Hopefully we're seeing a small philosophy change and they will continue to build on it.
In all fairness to Cale, I don't really know how much input he has in the offense's running play design, or if that comes directly from the OC or the head coach.

OU_Sooners75
10/10/2013, 12:27 AM

Demond Parker.
Quentin Griffin
Kejaun jones
Adrian Peterson
Reynaldo works
Chris brown
Demarco Murray
Damien Williams
Brennan Clay

OU_Sooners75
10/10/2013, 12:30 AM
I do have an issue with his coaching our RBs though. Our RBs don't show any patience in waiting for the hole to open like so many other team's RBs do. The Sooner RBs seem to do it on individual talent if there's an immediate hole by the OL to get them to the 2nd level. If there's not an immediate hole created by our OL, they seem to run up the backs of our OL and consequently get stuffed for negative or little gain (which included AD).
Also, our running plays seem to have very little misdirection. I was impressed with the almost immediate cutback after the hand off in the TCU game. Hopefully we're seeing a small philosophy change and they will continue to build on it.
In all fairness to Cale, I don't really know how much input he has in the offense's running play design, or if that comes directly from the OC or the head coach.

The vision problem you speak of is mainly on the backs. You can coach it and coach it, but sometimes the RBs just want to get to where they are suppose to be.

They see the initial hole before it's closed and fail to see everything going around that isn't directly in the path of the hole.

Gundy has done arguably the best job of any RB coach in the nation.

stoopified
10/10/2013, 07:00 AM
Parker never played forStoops and Cale.ADD TO THAT LIST FORD AND ROSS WHO WILL GET THEIR SHOT NEXT SEASON.Does Cale not deserve credit for fullbacks?Runnels and Millard,as well as Clapp and Ripkowski ain't too shabby.

birddog
10/10/2013, 07:20 AM
Yeah, he's coached much more than that. Calhoun, bus Johnson, some others for sure. Hasn't he been here since 1999?

OU_Sooners75
10/10/2013, 07:37 AM
Parker never played forStoops and Cale.ADD TO THAT LIST FORD AND ROSS WHO WILL GET THEIR SHOT NEXT SEASON.Does Cale not deserve credit for fullbacks?Runnels and Millard,as well as Clapp and Ripkowski ain't too shabby.

Wasn't Gundy part if Blake's staff ?

olevetonahill
10/10/2013, 07:59 AM
Wasn't Gundy part if Blake's staff ?

Nope he came on with Bob in 99 before that he was with UAB from 96 to 98

thecrimsoncrusader
10/10/2013, 08:07 AM
I do have an issue with his coaching our RBs though. Our RBs don't show any patience in waiting for the hole to open like so many other team's RBs do.

For the most part that is true, but I will say that Brennan Clay has shown awesome patience this year in waiting for a hole to develop and hitting it.

KantoSooner
10/10/2013, 08:29 AM
What role does Gundy play in coaching QBs how to run? Or is that something the QBs are supposed to pick up by osmosis?

BoulderSooner79
10/10/2013, 08:33 AM
For the most part that is true, but I will say that Brennan Clay has shown awesome patience this year in waiting for a hole to develop and hitting it.

^This. Clay has shown great vision all year (and the last half of last year).

cherokeebrewer
10/10/2013, 08:45 AM
^This. Clay has shown great vision all year (and the last half of last year).

In a short interview, Brennan Clay said Cale Gundy is a great coach...

KantoSooner
10/10/2013, 08:53 AM
I hope he lands Joe Mixon. That would be sweet. Hell, then we could just put KT in at QB and run the bone.

aj44mc
10/10/2013, 08:56 AM
+ Moses Madu

picasso
10/10/2013, 09:34 AM
Tou can try to coach a back to be more patient but any coach will tell you it's hard to teach vision. That's more natural.

CobraKai
10/10/2013, 09:37 AM
Demond Parker.
Quentin Griffin
Kejaun jones
Adrian Peterson
Reynaldo works
Chris brown
Demarco Murray
Damien Williams
Brennan Clay

Allen Patrick and Mossis Madu also had good careers, and both spent some time on NFL rosters.

PrideMom
10/10/2013, 09:50 AM
Cale Gundy was a QB, and even my husband asked why is he teaching the running backs. I said, because he can read defenses and can tell the running backs how to find the holes. Many asked why Josh was chosen over Cale as Offensive Coordinator, since Cale has been at OU longer and is older, but James Hale says that Cale LIKES what he is doing and doesn't want THAT headache. Not everyone wants the limelight, and many find out they really cannot handle it.

cherokeebrewer
10/10/2013, 10:36 AM
Cale does enjoy what he's doing and that's one of the keys to a longer and happier life.

picasso
10/10/2013, 11:05 AM
Look at Cale's paycheck. There are no wolves at his door.
And Allen Patrick saved us many times filling in for AD and Demarco.
I still love that run he had at oSu in '06.

mhackl
10/10/2013, 11:37 AM
Ohhhhh, that Cale Gundy! I was thinking of a different Cale Gundy. My bad.
Me too

swardboy
10/10/2013, 11:42 AM

And get me a natty lite while you're at it...

Jason White's Third Knee
10/10/2013, 12:58 PM
... blames it on the dog.

What?

8timechamps
10/10/2013, 02:47 PM
Cale Gundy was a QB, and even my husband asked why is he teaching the running backs. I said, because he can read defenses and can tell the running backs how to find the holes. Many asked why Josh was chosen over Cale as Offensive Coordinator, since Cale has been at OU longer and is older, but James Hale says that Cale LIKES what he is doing and doesn't want THAT headache. Not everyone wants the limelight, and many find out they really cannot handle it.

It's not uncommon for guys to coach different positions (than what they played in college). BJW has coached just about every position group on our defense at times. Typically though, guys stay on the side of the ball they played.

I agree with Hale (wow...never thought I'd say that), I think Cale loves where he is and what he's doing. I don't think he has any interest in being a coordinator or head coach. Maybe someday, but not now.

8timechamps
10/10/2013, 02:50 PM
And get me a natty lite while you're at it...

As all of my friends have learned at one point in their lives, asking me to bring them a beer works as well as asking me to give them money. That's to say, it never works.

olevetonahill
10/10/2013, 03:17 PM
As all of my friends have learned at one point in their lives, asking me to bring them a beer works as well as asking me to give them money. That's to say, it never works.

Pay Tention.
He wernt axin He were TELLIN! Now hop to.

8timechamps
10/10/2013, 03:25 PM
Pay Tention.
He wernt axin He were TELLIN! Now hop to.

Yeah, that doesn't work either. Although, if he asks enough, I may bring him an empty bottle.

olevetonahill
10/10/2013, 03:56 PM
Yeah, that doesn't work either. Although, if he asks enough, I may bring him an empty bottle.

:saturn:

cleller
10/10/2013, 04:45 PM
It's not uncommon for guys to coach different positions (than what they played in college). BJW has coached just about every position group on our defense at times. Typically though, guys stay on the side of the ball they played.

I agree with Hale (wow...never thought I'd say that), I think Cale loves where he is and what he's doing. I don't think he has any interest in being a coordinator or head coach. Maybe someday, but not now.

I've heard on several occasions that Cale has not been interested in climbing the ladder. Enjoys what he is doing, and it fits with his family life. Obviously, he's seen exactly what kind of pressures and constraints exert themselves on coordinators, and has decided he doesn't want that.
When his 40 year old brother flipped out on TV, Cale was probably chuckling to it around the dinner table with the family. I can relate.

Who knows, as his kids grow up, he may hanker for more responsibility, but I wouldn't blame him if he didn't.

cherokeebrewer
10/10/2013, 04:56 PM
Now hop to.

hops...I have hops.

OU_Sooners75
10/10/2013, 11:12 PM
I have a feeling Mixon is a silent commit to OU. Just has to get his officials out of the way.

Why else hasn't Starks not committed yet? OU is the only school to have stuck by him since his dismal from Bishop Gorman.