PDA

View Full Version : stats OU vs horns

Soonerjeepman
10/9/2013, 08:31 AM
Looking at 8time's stats....

ut is above OU in offensive categories...a few spots above on total offense...

The good news is ut is almost dead last (out of 119 D1 schools) in the Def categories whereas OU is ranked in the top 10 in 3 of the 4.

Mac94
10/9/2013, 08:38 AM
Oklahoma should be able to run the ball ... and hopefully win the turnover battle. Those two things combined should be enough to bury the Horns. The OU offense may not put up 60 .... but this OU team should be good enough to physically dominate Texas to the tune of 35-13 or so ... in a game more lopsided than the score.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/9/2013, 12:11 PM
UT has a higher ranking in passing, but OU can pass better than UT despite that. That's one of those scenarios where stats can lie. OU's offense can't be evaluated on what happened in the LA-Monroe and WVU games as Knight was the QB. There is a gargantuan gap between where Knight is and Bell is as far as a QB as a whole and as a passer in live games.

OU's season effectively started with the Tulsa game from an identity standpoint and OU has already faced the toughest defenses in back to back games that they will see in the regular season. From here on out, OU's offensive numbers will go up quite a bit and the defensive numbers will go down just a little bit.

BoulderSooner79
10/9/2013, 12:45 PM
Oklahoma should be able to run the ball ... and hopefully win the turnover battle. Those two things combined should be enough to bury the Horns. The OU offense may not put up 60 .... but this OU team should be good enough to physically dominate Texas to the tune of 35-13 or so ... in a game more lopsided than the score.

This is the way I see it. We don't have the kind of offense to bury them by halftime and the game will probably remain within reach well into the 2nd half. But we are better in almost all categories and just need to play up to abilities and all should be good. Can't pull an ISU and give them a free TD on a hail mary before half or some other flukey play.

OU_Sooners75
10/9/2013, 01:37 PM
This is the way I see it. We don't have the kind of offense to bury them by halftime and the game will probably remain within reach well into the 2nd half. But we are better in almost all categories and just need to play up to abilities and all should be good. Can't pull an ISU and give them a free TD on a hail mary before half or some other flukey play.

I disagree, OU has the offense to bury them by halftime. However, I doubt it happens unless Texas sells out to completely shut down the running game.

If that is the way the horns plays OUs offense, OU can definitely put up the points by half time.

8timechamps
10/9/2013, 07:20 PM
UT has a higher ranking in passing, but OU can pass better than UT despite that. That's one of those scenarios where stats can lie. OU's offense can't be evaluated on what happened in the LA-Monroe and WVU games as Knight was the QB. There is a gargantuan gap between where Knight is and Bell is as far as a QB as a whole and as a passer in live games.

OU's season effectively started with the Tulsa game from an identity standpoint and OU has already faced the toughest defenses in back to back games that they will see in the regular season. From here on out, OU's offensive numbers will go up quite a bit and the defensive numbers will go down just a little bit.

OU's passing numbers are a little misleading I think. You have to factor in the defenses we've played versus the one's Texas have played. Then, the whole QB change thing. And, even with those two things included, OU is only averaging about 50 yards less a game than Texas. So, I agree with everything you're saying, just thought I'd add that note.

Jacie
10/9/2013, 07:27 PM
I don't know if it has affected their stats, whether they have been above or below the early game season averages but for the record, whorns also changed QB.

cvsooner
10/9/2013, 07:36 PM
UT has to sell out to stop the run or we'll control the ball and just wear them down. They'll try to cut the short and medium routes and hope we can't go over the top on them, I'm figuring. I don't think they can stop everything we can put out there, whereas we probably can stop anything they try except trick plays or special teams stuff. That's really all that kept TCU in the game, so that was probably a really good lesson to have.

8timechamps
10/9/2013, 09:56 PM
I don't know if it has affected their stats, whether they have been above or below the early game season averages but for the record, whorns also changed QB.

True, they have. I think texas has asked McCoy to do pretty much the same thing Ash did, although Ash is the better QB. McCoy threw it decent against ISU, but he's due for his "herp, derp" moment.

8timechamps
10/9/2013, 10:00 PM
UT has to sell out to stop the run or we'll control the ball and just wear them down. They'll try to cut the short and medium routes and hope we can't go over the top on them, I'm figuring. I don't think they can stop everything we can put out there, whereas we probably can stop anything they try except trick plays or special teams stuff. That's really all that kept TCU in the game, so that was probably a really good lesson to have.

In theory, we should be able to control their offense. My concern is that the 3-3-5 was originally designed to focus on the pass. However, with the athletes OU has recruited in the past couple of years, it's become pretty formidable against the run.

I watched some of the texas/KSU game, and KSU runs a traditional 4 man front. Unfortunately for KSU, once their backs got past the line, their LBs were too big and slow to make plays. OU, on the other hand, has undersized LBs, and the defense is built for speed (and to stop spread offenses).

I do think texas will get their yards on the ground, and it may present some early issues, but I don't think it's going to be enough to win.

SCOUT
10/10/2013, 12:48 AM
It is late so my unsubstantiated claim should be written off. I wonder if we don't hit them with ALL of our running backs. Texas has shown that their major weakness is the run game. Can you imagine trying to adjust, in game, to Williams, Finch, and Ford during the same game? It is speed, power and evasiveness all in the same game.

ashley
10/10/2013, 05:59 AM
We will stop the run and we have the best blitz packages in college football to get to the QB on passing downs.

70sooner
10/10/2013, 06:38 AM
young master McCoy has got to have one of the worst throwing motions, I've ever seen from a college qb.

Hard to believe that boy hasn't been picked clean, so maybe this will be the week.

Jacie
10/10/2013, 09:19 PM
young master McCoy has got to have one of the worst throwing motions, I've ever seen from a college qb.

Hard to believe that boy hasn't been picked clean, so maybe this will be the week.

He hasn't exactly shined at the position but in 102 attempts (this season) he has completed 60% of his passes with no INT's. His downside is that his rushing stats are 13 for -5 yards (Ash had over 150 yards rushing before going down).

Whorn fans are frothing at the mouth to see either of the two backups, Holtz or Swoopes, to get a series. It seemingly would be a miracle for Mack to get through this season without playing either of them but Case has gone two whole games without missing a play. He actually played pretty well against OU last year but I agree, he looks ripe for the picking.