PDA

View Full Version : The Tipping Point

Jacie
10/8/2013, 09:01 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1801214-jadeveon-clowney-shows-what-happens-when-college-players-are-waiting-to-get-paid

Jadeveon Clowney Shows What Happens When College Players Are Waiting to Get Paid

By Adam Kramer (National College Football Lead Writer) on October 7, 2013

Maybe Jadeveon Clowney is hurt. Maybe he doesn’t want to risk further injury. Maybe Steve Spurrier is being overly dramatic. Or maybe Clowney has checked out on the whole college football thing altogether with a massive signing bonus inching closer.

The answer is likely somewhere in the middle, and it’s easy to see why. This scenario was predictable, and the prospects of unimaginable wealth hanging overhead create a difficult situation for those trying to go about business as usual.

And the term “business” has never felt more appropriate.

When college athletes are put into a scenario of simply hoping to avoid catastrophic injury, trying to get through January, you’re left with a volatile situation for the player, coaches and team. It's unfair to everyone involved.

Well, except for those poised to make money off No. 7 while they can and the fans looking for one final glimpse of him in the college ranks.

Regardless of the strangeness surrounding the South Carolina defensive end, his strained relationship with his head coach and his status with the program now and going forward, this shouldn’t come as a surprise. This situation—and more specifically, the 2013 season—felt peculiar and perhaps even doomed from the get-go.

Now, however, Clowney’s status with the team is approaching a breaking point of sorts.

In a season that has been marred with a stomach virus, a bone spur in his foot that will require surgery and now a ribcage injury, Spurrier’s comments after his team’s Clowney-less victory against Kentucky were interesting to say the least.

On Sunday, Spurrier clarified these comments, according to The State’s Josh Kendall. It’s not the first time the Ol’ Ball Coach has backed off his initial comments this year, and he seemed to do so again:

It was just we didn’t know he wasn’t playing until right before the game. That is always a little frustrating. Usually the trainer or doctor comes and tells you this guy is out, and that did not happen last night. But on the other side if a player is in pain and can’t play, I don’t want him to play. None of us do.

Even in this delivery, Spurrier capped it off with the following when asked about Clowney’s commitment to the team: “You will have to ask him that. I can’t speak for Jadeveon.”

There appears to be more to the story here. At the very least, there is a severe lack of communication between Clowney and his head coach. There’s also a lack of stat-sheet production on Clowney’s part—albeit facing constant double- and triple-teams while battling ailments and providing an impact that doesn’t show up in any box score.

Still, there’s no question that the season has been an utter disappointment for a player who was gathering serious Heisman buzz not long ago. Now, the talk of such campaigns feels distant.

Part of this is our fault. It was unreasonable to believe that Clowney could somehow match the absurd expectations we bestowed upon him after his viral decapitation of Michigan running back Vincent Smith on New Year’s Day.

That play, in a lot of ways, could prove to be a turning point in his career, but not in the way many imagined. In fact, this moment could eventually do more harm than good.

A magnificent player capable of doing magnificent things had a moment that was appreciated on an unprecedented level. With the YouTube hits, ESPYs and appreciation came an anticipation of what’s next—an assumption that this moment could be matched or even topped.

The hoopla, however, was only that. There was no money, no signing bonus, no sponsorship deals, just speculation and a $5 million injury insurance policy for his final college football season as a junior.

Players must be three years removed from high school, which meant Clowney was eligible for the 2014 NFL draft. Sitting out this season was never really an option—as much as many wanted to discuss it—and playing (and hoping to avoid an injury) seemed like the only viable option for the likely No. 1 overall selection.

It’s an unfair deal, and Clowney was struck smack-dab in a purgatory of sorts: unable to capitalize on his fame at the college ranks when the time was right. Unable to take his NFL-ready body to the pros.

With so much money at stake, it’s no wonder that the situation is reaching a point that it shouldn't have. The hype was extreme, and the scenario was stacked against him from the start. What good—other than our own selfish enjoyment and those counting the quarters brought in—comes from forcing a player to stick around one more year than he should?

It’s this common-sense question that is being talked about at a time where discussion of paying players is reaching a boiling point. Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany recently tackled this directly, saying maybe it’s time that players are allowed to bypass college altogether, courtesy of ESPN.com:

Maybe in football and basketball, it would work better if more kids had a chance to go directly into the professional ranks. If they’re not comfortable and want to monetize, let the minor leagues flourish. Train at IMG, get agents to invest in your body, get agents to invest in your likeness, and establish it on your own. But don’t come here and say, "We want to be paid $25,000 or $50,000." Go to the D-League and get it, go to the NBA and get it, go to the NFL and get it. Don’t ask us what we’ve been doing.

Perhaps this is where we’re headed. Or perhaps the Ed O’Bannon lawsuit could reshape collegiate athletics in an instant. Either way, change is likely coming. Maybe not this year or next year, but sometime soon.

Of course, simply blaming the system in place for Clowney’s season—or lack thereof—is unfair. This entire situation has been botched from a variety of levels, starting with the player himself. Whether he’s injured or not, his hazy communication with coaches could have been avoided. He could have done more and perhaps will going forward.

The coaches themselves, starting with Spurrier, also could have kept much of this in-house instead of playing out an incomplete scenario in the press. This has done nothing but create more fires, even if Spurrier needed to get it off his chest.

This isn’t just a Clowney problem. While his effort, love for the game and 2013 season are being picked apart (and perhaps somewhat deservedly so), it’s worth wondering if he ever should have been in this position in the first place.

soonerloyal
10/8/2013, 09:14 AM
Physical and mental development in the teen years are a long way removed from what the NFL demands of a player. There may be a few exceptions but overall, developmentally, kids just aren't ready at 18 to make that huge jump.

Soonerfan88
10/8/2013, 09:16 PM
Maybe in football and basketball, it would work better if more kids had a chance to go directly into the professional ranks. If they’re not comfortable and want to monetize, let the minor leagues flourish. Train at IMG, get agents to invest in your body, get agents to invest in your likeness, and establish it on your own. But don’t come here and say, "We want to be paid $25,000 or $50,000." Go to the D-League and get it, go to the NBA and get it, go to the NFL and get it. Don’t ask us what we’ve been doing.

I absolutely 100% agree with this. If you don't want to be in college, then find another way to get in the big leagues, whatever your sport, and I wish them all the best of luck. However, I will continue to cheer for OU and those who represent the university. I also won't be buying any IMG promoted apparel or merchandise, not matter what phenomenal athlete they are pushing because it won't have OU on it.

ouflak
10/9/2013, 02:14 AM
Physical and mental development in the teen years are a long way removed from what the NFL demands of a player. There may be a few exceptions but overall, developmentally, kids just aren't ready at 18 to make that huge jump.

If that's true, why are kids so much more mature playing basketball (able to jump to the NBA at age 19, recently was 18), or baseball (major leagues at 18), or hockey (NHL at 18)? Are these sports somehow more conducive to 'mental development' that they can handle the potential million$ to be made off of their performance themselves rather than others cashing in as with the current situation with the NCAA?

kevpks
10/9/2013, 07:46 AM
It was probably a self-serving statement but I agree with the Big 10 commissioner that colleges should not be in the business of being minor leagues for the NFL. If a player wants to go pro out of high school, let him. He can go for the draft, play arena ball, or just work out with trainers financed by his agent. If a recruit makes a commitment to go to college, then make him stay three years. It seems to work for baseball.

SouthFortySooner
10/9/2013, 09:26 AM
There have been other players of high expectation which haven't quit.

Jacie
10/9/2013, 10:21 AM
Clowney is not unique, only the latest athlete to be in this position.

Thirty years ago Herschel Walker tried to change the rules but the NFL refused to take him even though he had played three seasons of college football and playing for the national championship all three times. We will never know if Herschel would have played as hard as a senior as he did the other seasons, sometimes with injuries, but from what I know of him, I think he would have. In any event, he jumped to the short-lived USFL to cash in.

Perhaps the money is so much more now athletes who are physically ready to take it to the next level would be foolish to risk it all playing in non-paying games.

badger
10/9/2013, 10:36 AM
Meh, glad he's Spurrier's problem and not ours.

About the only positions where I think some could go straight outta high school are the ones where you avoid hits -- QB, RB (non-blocking), WR. The positions that require you to block, tackle, etc. would cause teens to get severely injured going up against NFL caliber players.

I also agree that it is not college' fault that players can't go to the pros. It's the pro leagues fault for keeping them out.

At the same time... in this era of veterans getting cut quickly in favor of cheaper young guys (so they can pay the Joe Flaccos of the world $24 million annually), I don't expect the player's union to agree to lowering the three-years-removed rule.

oupride
10/10/2013, 05:53 PM
Meh, glad he's Spurrier's problem and not ours.

About the only positions where I think some could go straight outta high school are the ones where you avoid hits -- QB, RB (non-blocking), WR. The positions that require you to block, tackle, etc. would cause teens to get severely injured going up against NFL caliber players.

I also agree that it is not college' fault that players can't go to the pros. It's the pro leagues fault for keeping them out.

At the same time... in this era of veterans getting cut quickly in favor of cheaper young guys (so they can pay the Joe Flaccos of the world $24 million annually), I don't expect the player's union to agree to lowering the three-years-removed rule.
10-4

sooner46
10/10/2013, 07:22 PM
I do not agree with paying them, they already get paid for their college, room and board, other students do not get this. If they pay them, they need to pay for their own education, room and board. They cannot have it both ways.

ouflak
10/11/2013, 01:56 AM
I do not agree with paying them, they already get paid for their college, room and board, other students do not get this.

Not true. I was on scholarship when I attended OU. Not only were my entire costs covered, but, unlike NCAA athletes, I also had the right to work full time anywhere I liked. I had the right to cash in on my own name and retained the rights to control my own image and likeness. Sure, there were others that made money off my work, especially later with some of the research work I did, but I was still paid for my contributions and efforts.

If they pay them, they need to pay for their own education, room and board. They cannot have it both ways.

I'm totally fine with this as well. When I worked for the school, I had an employment contract. Would you have a problem if the student athletes also had employment contracts with all of the same legal entitlements and responsibilities under state and federal law as all other free working people in this country have? I wouldn't have a problem with this at all. They've got to pay their way just like everybody else. I'm not $ure why any coache$ or athletic director$ would be again$t that idea.

mhackl
10/11/2013, 03:24 AM
I do not agree with paying them, they already get paid for their college, room and board, other students do not get this. If they pay them, they need to pay for their own education, room and board. They cannot have it both ways.
^^ This ^^

sooner46
10/11/2013, 03:42 AM
OUflak,

I am sorry, I know other students with scholarships get those same time things and should have stated that. I was talking about those that are not on scholarship. I am not against any of them working, I had to work thru college.

I know they need spending money. if they could come to some type of agreement that would be nation wide for all sports all players of say $50.00 to $100.00 a week, that is if it could be managed. That would be the biggest problem.

It does not look every good for a football or softball, etc. player to not be able to buy a coke. I did not have a lot of money but I could at least go some where with my friends.

ouflak
10/11/2013, 05:48 AM
OUflak,

I am sorry, I know other students with scholarships get those same time things and should have stated that. I was talking about those that are not on scholarship.

Interesting point, because the NCAA restrictions on student athletes working applies to all of them whether they are on scholarship or not. I believe the intention here is that a student athlete should concentrate almost entirely on their sport(s). There's just too much money involved, especially for football and basketball which have billion dollar deals riding on these student' performances, for these athletes to be distracted from their main purpose.

I am not against any of them working, I had to work thru college.

Neither am I. Hence I think that all NCAA student athletes should get employment contracts that stipulates clearly that they are being compensated by means of a scholarship, room and board, as many here seem to believe is enough anyway. And naturally, these student athletes would have all of the same rights and responsibilities under state and federal law as any other free working person in this country has.

Again, the question is, why wouldn't coache$, athletic director$, and univer$ity pre$ident$ want the $ame thing? There'$ got to be a rea$on for that....