PDA

View Full Version : Pooch Kick

jkjsooner
10/7/2013, 04:36 PM
I haven't seen a thread on this. I might be stating the obvious but the pooch kick / onside kick put our defense in a really bad spot. We just can't have errors like that in those positions - especially after the opposition's offense just had a long drive.

I think had that not been successful the game would have looked very different. They started moving the ball a lot more easily after our defense wore out and not covering the kick had a lot to do with our defense wearing out. (Injuries also played a roll of course.)

I'm glad that that play didn't cost us the game. We need to make sure we have guys who can make plays on the kick coverage team. I understand a surprise onside kick but in this case we had guys in position to make the play and they didn't make it. It's a learning experience.

8timechamps
10/7/2013, 04:38 PM
Yeah, that was a momentum changer for TCU.

You could tell that Stoops was still pretty upset with Green today, for not being ready to make that play.

JiminyChristmas
10/7/2013, 05:25 PM
Green should have just come up and fair caught the ball. The problem was his late jump on the ball. Pretty simple fix.

olevetonahill
10/7/2013, 05:34 PM
Why they call it a "Pooch" kick?

Hell when I kick a dayum Dog I kick the **** out of it.

MyT Oklahoma
10/7/2013, 07:58 PM
Hopefully a lesson was learned by all on our kick receiving team. As in stay awake.

okiewaker
10/7/2013, 08:18 PM
Hopefully a lesson was learned by all on our kick receiving team. As in stay awake.

Hopefully we don't have a "staying awake problem".

rock on sooner
10/7/2013, 08:25 PM
Why they call it a "Pooch" kick?

Hell when I kick a dayum Dog I kick the **** out of it.

Yeh, but Vet, the dog don't go very far...'sides all that, he/she'll
turn and bite ya, jus because....

olevetonahill
10/7/2013, 08:32 PM
Yeh, but Vet, the dog don't go very far...'sides all that, he/she'll
turn and bite ya, jus because....

Heh, Ya aint ever seen me kick the **** out of one have ya ? :wink:

rock on sooner
10/7/2013, 08:39 PM
Heh, Ya aint ever seen me kick the **** out of one have ya ? :wink:

Welp, no, but I ain't ever seen one bite ya, either....:biggrin:

olevetonahill
10/7/2013, 08:47 PM
Welp, no, but I ain't ever seen one bite ya, either....:biggrin:

Only Dogs that ever bit me were Ex-wives

rock on sooner
10/7/2013, 09:08 PM
Only Dogs that ever bit me were Ex-wives

I've heard that...ya musta not fed 'em very good...

olevetonahill
10/7/2013, 09:18 PM
I've heard that...ya musta not fed 'em very good...

Gave em all the dayum scraps they could away from the 4 legged dogs.

oudivesherpa
10/7/2013, 09:29 PM
Mike Belotti, former Oregon coach had a bit on the pooch kick last Friday before the game. It seems someone else used hat kick the week before and was successful.

FaninAma
10/7/2013, 09:46 PM
Green should have just come up and fair caught the ball. The problem was his late jump on the ball. Pretty simple fix.
Yep. He was like an outfielder who is indecisive and let's the ball play him .

soonersam
10/8/2013, 04:58 PM
Its a typical little step brother call everyone tries on Oklahoma. Half back passes, onside kicks, and flea flickers are for *****s who cant line up and play football.

8timechamps
10/8/2013, 05:55 PM
Its a typical little step brother call everyone tries on Oklahoma. Half back passes, onside kicks, and flea flickers are for *****s who cant line up and play football.

I thought the Flea-flicker was kinda bush league. I know it's within the rules, but it just seems like that's not big-boy football. I don't mind the half-back pass so much, but it still reeks of desperation.

picasso
10/8/2013, 06:15 PM
It's a pooch kick because you kick it like it's a little pooch girlie dog.
Not like real football.

Jacie
10/8/2013, 06:24 PM
If the Sooner defense shuts down any other team the way they did the frogs, we can expect to see more pooch and onside kicks as a way to get more possessions. Had the offense managed to score touchdowns instead of field goals in the first half, TCU might not have attempted it since a recovery by OU would have set up the offense with good field position in a game on the verge of becoming a blowout. As it was, that play was a result of it being a close game.

kevpks
10/9/2013, 07:47 AM
That was the biggest play involving a tight end this season and it didn't go well. We need to upgrade that position. I hope we sign 2 or 3 of them.

kevpks
10/9/2013, 07:50 AM
I thought the Flea-flicker was kinda bush league. I know it's within the rules, but it just seems like that's not big-boy football. I don't mind the half-back pass so much, but it still reeks of desperation.

That sequence with the halfback pass was pretty awesome to watch on TV. Stoops saw something and was yelling at the defense to watch for it. We defensed it perfectly. Unfortunately Striker (I think it was him) got called for a face mask. Regardless, that was some great coaching.