PDA

View Full Version : Bell and the 2013 Offense

JiminyChristmas
10/7/2013, 01:39 PM
Some thoughts about this year's offense after 3 games of the Bell era.

When you look at the games against Notre Dame and TCU, I think you can get a pretty good feel for the potential this offense has to keep improving. I would suggest that Notre Dame is in the top 5 of the country on the DLine and TCU is in the top 5 in the country in the secondary. We averaged 24 points per game against two very good defenses (defense scored 7 against Notre Dame). It appears that the extra week to prepare for Notre Dame helped, especially in coming up with blocking schemes for their excellent D Line. Against TCU, I think what you saw was Bell being young and not wanting to make mistakes. The windows to throw into were very tight and at this point in his development, he seems to be operating under the thought of erring on the side of caution. That's ok though.

I do think Bell showed some arm strength in the TCU game that I hadn't seen before. There were a couple of throws he made that had some nice velocity. One was knocked away by a defender, but it was all the way across the field and was an absolute laser. I think as he gets more experience and develops even more of a relationship with the receivers, he will get the ball out quicker and have more confidence to fit it into tight coverage. Even though there will be no secondary left on the schedule that is even close to TCU.

Continuing to improve the running game, both with RBs and the QB run threat will be huge for ball control purposes and keeping other high octane offenses off the field. What we saw in the run game against ND with the extra week to prepare was pretty encouraging too. Especially when it comes to a bowl game with lots of extra time.

I know a lot of people are concerned about the offense after the TCU game, but I see some very encouraging signs. The offense is in its' infancy really. If Bell continues to progress and the run game stays consistent, there is a lot of potential to still unlock. I expect we will average over 40 points per game the rest of the season. Because of the balance of this offense, it will be very difficult for any of the defenses left on the schedule to take away everything. If the defense can replace Nelson and keep playing at a high level, good things are coming.

Ruf/Nek7
10/7/2013, 01:43 PM
Some thoughts about this year's offense after 3 games of the Bell era.

When you look at the games against Notre Dame and TCU, I think you can get a pretty good feel for the potential this offense has to keep improving. I would suggest that Notre Dame is in the top 5 of the country on the DLine and TCU is in the top 5 in the country in the secondary. We averaged 24 points per game against two very good defenses (defense scored 7 against Notre Dame). It appears that the extra week to prepare for Notre Dame helped, especially in coming up with blocking schemes for their excellent D Line. Against TCU, I think what you saw was Bell being young and not wanting to make mistakes. The windows to throw into were very tight and at this point in his development, he seems to be operating under the thought of erring on the side of caution. That's ok though.

I do think Bell showed some arm strength in the TCU game that I hadn't seen before. There were a couple of throws he made that had some nice velocity. One was knocked away by a defender, but it was all the way across the field and was an absolute laser. I think as he gets more experience and develops even more of a relationship with the receivers, he will get the ball out quicker and have more confidence to fit it into tight coverage. Even though there will be no secondary left on the schedule that is even close to TCU.

Continuing to improve the running game, both with RBs and the QB run threat will be huge for ball control purposes and keeping other high octane offenses off the field. What we saw in the run game against ND with the extra week to prepare was pretty encouraging too. Especially when it comes to a bowl game with lots of extra time.

I know a lot of people are concerned about the offense after the TCU game, but I see some very encouraging signs. The offense is in its' infancy really. If Bell continues to progress and the run game stays consistent, there is a lot of potential to still unlock. I expect we will average over 40 points per game the rest of the season. Because of the balance of this offense, it will be very difficult for any of the defenses left on the schedule to take away everything. If the defense can replace Nelson and keep playing at a high level, good things are coming.

Opposite of what we saw out of Landry which is what made a lot of people here mad at LJ.

cherokeebrewer
10/7/2013, 01:46 PM
I don't think it was Blake as much as it was the receivers not getting open against an excellent TCU secondary...but yeah, he's taking care of the ball for sure.

swardboy
10/7/2013, 01:54 PM
I do think Bell showed some arm strength in the TCU game that I hadn't seen before. There were a couple of throws he made that had some nice velocity. One was knocked away by a defender, but it was all the way across the field and was an absolute laser.

Yes Jiminy christmas, that really caught my eye too. It was a major league caliber throw, and just barely tipped by the defender. I thought at the moment it was a omen of great things to come from BB.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/7/2013, 02:12 PM
This offense may not put up as many points as recent offenses, but I do think it's a better offense overall as it isn't going to live and die by the pass. And I rather have a play-making offense that makes plays when they need them as opposed to a pretty stat based offense that puts up 60 points against bad defenses, but then only 10 against good defenses and is rattled because they aren't scoring at such a high rate and end up losing the game. And Bell having at least 3 runs in both the ND and TCU games that went for 10 or more yards and all of them being 1st downs is icing on the cake.

fadada1
10/7/2013, 02:21 PM
what worries me is seeing those occasional lapses in execution when we can't "flip the field". even if we don't score and have to punt, there seem to be times where we go completely stagnant, and can't move the ball out to our own 40, for example.

i'm definitely a fan of the power football, but there are times where we should be throwing more seem passes to our (non-existent) tight end.

EatLeadCommie
10/7/2013, 02:23 PM
I think it is pretty tough to know what to expect from this offense given that-- as you said-- it's still in its infancy. My concern is that we really don't seem to have any offensive identity now.

KantoSooner
10/7/2013, 02:29 PM
My two cents worth is that TCU was probably the fastest team we've played all year. And, though we're a lot more physical than in any of the past several years, we have enjoyed a speed advantage against everyone else we've played. When that advantage was mitigated, we had some trouble adapting. Luckily, we probably won't see that much speed on defense at least for the balance of the year.

FaninAma
10/7/2013, 02:37 PM
My two cents worth is that TCU was probably the fastest team we've played all year. And, though we're a lot more physical than in any of the past several years, we have enjoyed a speed advantage against everyone else we've played. When that advantage was mitigated, we had some trouble adapting. Luckily, we probably won't see that much speed on defense at least for the balance of the year.

Totally agree. TCU crushed an SMU team that lost to Rutgers in triple overtime.....the same Rutgers team that beat Arkansas. TCU has a lot of athletes and both this win and the Notre Dame win will look better and better as the year goes on.

in the mean time I hope Bob and Mike are breaking down a lot of game film on Baylor.

rock on sooner
10/7/2013, 03:19 PM
JiminyChristmas, your handle reminds of my favorite radio call of ALL
time....."Sooners line up in the wishbone at point blank range, the snap,
JIMINYCHRISTMAS, touchdown, Oklahoma!"

Brooks and Treps are still my favorite Sooner voices....

cherokeebrewer
10/7/2013, 03:42 PM
IMO...the only way TK gets in this game is if something happens to Blake Bell or the game is not in doubt. It's just the way Bob Stoops rolls...

cherokeebrewer
10/7/2013, 03:54 PM
IMO...the only way TK gets in this game is if something happens to Blake Bell or the game is not in doubt. It's just the way Bob Stoops rolls...

Sorry, wrong thread...ha!

azheat4u
10/7/2013, 04:48 PM
I think Bell gives OU the best chance right now to win but if he doesn't start to look off any of his receivers, the passing game will suffer. I was at the game and you OU could see if zeroing on only one option. It doesn't matter how good the defense is if you can't look of a receiver it makes the defense even better. The good thing Bell does manage the gam better at this point than Knight and with our D we should be in every game.

aurorasooner
10/7/2013, 04:55 PM
and TCU is in the top 5 in the country in the secondary.

I don't think it was Blake as much as it was the receivers not getting open against an excellent TCU secondary

My two cents worth is that TCU was probably the fastest team we've played all year.
You know, I think TCU has a pretty good D and I can see LSU beating them by 10 as LSU has a d&^m good team, but that TCU D gave up almost 300 yds passing to Tech and Tech had a frosh QB. LSU also had good passing ydg against TCU.

So it does make you wonder if if our receivers are all they're cracked up to be or if our passing plays/routes are just too easy to read and game-plan against, since it didn't seem our receivers could get much separation from the TCU secondary. Maybe we were just playing it vanilla and not trying to show much to the short whorns. As far as TCU being a top 5 or so D secondary, I personally don't think so, maybe more in the top 10 to 15 range, imo.

I couldn't remember much about the TCU/Tech game except it was on a Thurs Night, so I pulled this below from the recap. Playing Baylor at their house on a Thurs Night scares the hell out of me.

Plays-Net Yards TCU 82-401 Tech 71-336
Rushes-Yds 44-207 26-43
Passing Yds 194 293

The Frogs had their chances. A 69-punt return for an apparent touchdown by Brandon Carter in the fourth quarter was called back after officials ruled he'd signaled for a fair catch.

The Horned Frogs had 13 penalties for 115 yard.

"We cannot have as many penalties as we did," TCU coach Gary Patterson said. "I have to give their defense credit."

Carter had another punt return wiped out -- a 28-yarder in the third quarter on a clipping penalty.

Mayfield threw his third interception early in the fourth quarter off a tipped ball and into the hands of Derrick Kindred. But TCU got no points off it when Jaden Oberkrom missed wide right on a 55-yard field goal try.

Scott D
10/7/2013, 06:14 PM
The big difference at the WR position between OU and LSU is size. Their best receivers are for sure bigger than Saunders and Shepherd.

FaninAma
10/7/2013, 11:06 PM
You know, I think TCU has a pretty good D and I can see LSU beating them by 10 as LSU has a d&^m good team, but that TCU D gave up almost 300 yds passing to Tech and Tech had a frosh QB. LSU also had good passing ydg against TCU.

So it does make you wonder if if our receivers are all they're cracked up to be or if our passing plays/routes are just too easy to read and game-plan against, since it didn't seem our receivers could get much separation from the TCU secondary. Maybe we were just playing it vanilla and not trying to show much to the short whorns. As far as TCU being a top 5 or so D secondary, I personally don't think so, maybe more in the top 10 to 15 range, imo.

I couldn't remember much about the TCU/Tech game except it was on a Thurs Night, so I pulled this below from the recap. Playing Baylor at their house on a Thurs Night scares the hell out of me.

Plays-Net Yards TCU 82-401 Tech 71-336
Rushes-Yds 44-207 26-43
Passing Yds 194 293
TCU gave up 293 passing yards to TT but they also had 3 interceptions. TT only rushed for 44 yards. If TCU would have had as many penalties and self-inflicted errors in their game v. OU as they did against TT the Sooners would have won by 3+ touchdowns.

arcman46
10/7/2013, 11:17 PM
I think Bell gives OU the best chance right now to win but if he doesn't start to look off any of his receivers, the passing game will suffer. I was at the game and you OU could see if zeroing on only one option. It doesn't matter how good the defense is if you can't look of a receiver it makes the defense even better. The good thing Bell does manage the gam better at this point than Knight and with our D we should be in every game.

I agree that Bell gives us the best chance to win now. But I have yet to see much out of him other than being a good game manager. Most of the "record" yardage from the Tulsa game were YAC. He seems to do all right with the short screen passes to about 10 yards. He has little to no accuracy past about 15 yards. I noticed a couple things when Knight was in the game. Despite the turnovers against West Virginia, the running offense seemed to click better against both Louisiana Monroe and West Virginia, and when he came in for the series against Notre Dame, the offense seemed to click better then too. I don't want to be a negative nellie, but, our offense being as stagnant as it was, especially against TCU, will absolutely not get it done when we go up against Baylor, TTU, and Okie State.

ouwasp
10/7/2013, 11:39 PM
Oh there's good and bad. Like a typical Sooner fan, I'll be a little negative.

There are too many running plays that gain next to nothing. The OL just has no push much of the time. Remember against ULM, the word was their DL were aligned in an unexpected manner... this caused many of the zero-yd gains. Maybe this will get better, seems like there are still too many no-gain plays.

On the plus side, no turnovers is an easy stat to get used to!

OU_Sooners75
10/8/2013, 12:10 AM
I think it is pretty tough to know what to expect from this offense given that-- as you said-- it's still in its infancy. My concern is that we really don't seem to have any offensive identity now.

Unfortunately I think a lot of that has to do with our OC calling the plays.

I'm not bashing Josh just yet since he is trying to Change the offense. But it seems like sometimes he reverts and tries to throw too much on some series.

I also think part of it has to do with the RB rotation.

Clay is a beast. Has great field vision.
Williams has some power, but loves running up the backs of our OL for minimal gain, or trying to hard to bounce it outside when he doesn't have too.
Finch just isn't utilized as much as I feel he should be. He is an elusive open field runner. And he is very quick on the zone reads when he gets the chance.

OU_Sooners75
10/8/2013, 12:11 AM

Totally agree. TCU crushed an SMU team that lost to Rutgers in triple overtime.....the same Rutgers team that beat Arkansas. TCU has a lot of athletes and both this win and the Notre Dame win will look better and better as the year goes on.

in the mean time I hope Bob and Mike are breaking down a lot of game film on Baylor.

They will. We have a bye week before that game.

picasso
10/8/2013, 12:33 AM
I agree that Bell gives us the best chance to win now. But I have yet to see much out of him other than being a good game manager. Most of the "record" yardage from the Tulsa game were YAC. He seems to do all right with the short screen passes to about 10 yards. He has little to no accuracy past about 15 yards. I noticed a couple things when Knight was in the game. Despite the turnovers against West Virginia, the running offense seemed to click better against both Louisiana Monroe and West Virginia, and when he came in for the series against Notre Dame, the offense seemed to click better then too. I don't want to be a negative nellie, but, our offense being as stagnant as it was, especially against TCU, will absolutely not get it done when we go up against Baylor, TTU, and Okie State.
Knight ran one freaking play on Notre Dame and he caught them off guard. There's no comparing accuracy in the passing game between Bell and Knight.
Those little passes with YAC potential were incomplete in the first few games.

BoulderSooner79
10/8/2013, 12:40 AM
Knight ran one freaking play on Notre Dame and he caught them off guard. There's no comparing accuracy in the passing game between Bell and Knight.
Those little passes with YAC potential were incomplete in the first few games.

^This. Our passing offense is based on YAC and those those must be pinpoint accurate or the timing is shot. I hope it was just FR nerves, but TK must master those throws for OUr offense to be effective. I still wouldn't mind seeing TK come in as a package on occasion to get him playing time and to throw the opposing D a curve. Other teams have used this effectively w/o creating any QB controversy.

8timechamps
10/8/2013, 12:46 AM
Both TCU and Notre Dame have excellent defenses, however, TCU played us much different than Notre Dame. They had the benefit of an extra week of film on us, and they used it.

Against ND, we moved the ball very effectively with the flare and screen game. Numerous times, we motioned a back into the flats and Notre Dame never adjusted for that, giving us free yards. TCU, from the start, always mirrored our motion out of the back field. They were able to do that and still play some man because they do have superior talent on the corners. What I like is that we were able to find a way to win in both situations.

Someone above mentioned we haven't found out identity yet on offense, but I think we have. Our identity is to maximize the defensive weakness. It's called a balanced offense, and it's something we've missed in recent years.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/8/2013, 08:50 AM

1. A good game manager? Bell's instinctual long bomb TD pass to Bester against Notre Dame wasn't a game manager pass. Bell having at least 3 tough runs in both the Notre Dame and TCU games of 10 or more yards that went for critical first downs isn't a quality of a mere game manager. Bell has hit other money passes that weren't attributes of a mere game manager.

2. When Knight was in the game, he couldn't complete basic passes, so Oklahoma was very much a one dimensional offense. Even in his 9 of 16 performance in the 1st half against West Virginia, his completions weren't very accurate throws and negated a lot of potential YAC because of their inaccuracy. Oklahoma is NOT a one-dimensional offense when Bell is on the field.

3. Of course, OU's rushing offense clicked better when OU was facing LA-Monroe and West Virginia, their defensive fronts are a joke compared to both Notre Dame's and TCU's. Regardless of that, OU rushed for over 200 yards against Notre Dame AND TCU and that will very likely be the most rushing yards either of those teams give up against any team this season.

4. OU's offensive performances in the Notre Dame and TCU games will get it done against the likes of Baylor, Texas Tech and Oklahoma St. because their defenses are still a joke and products of their schedules. Notre Dame and TCU has the best defenses that Oklahoma will see this season and it's not even close and OU passed the test in both of those games because quite simply, Oklahoma won. If Oklahoma can go for 200+ on the ground against Notre Dame and TCU, they can go for 300+ on the ground against any remaining team on OU's schedule should OU so desire and that will keep those opposing offenses off the field a lot longer than they are used too.

People are underrating OU and are gun-shy just because of the way things have gone down in recent years. This is an entirely different OU team with new leadership on both sides of the ball and much better coaching in the trenches. This is a damn good ball club that knows how to make plays and win on both sides of the ball.

EatLeadCommie
10/8/2013, 09:00 AM
Unfortunately I think a lot of that has to do with our OC calling the plays.

I'm not bashing Josh just yet since he is trying to Change the offense. But it seems like sometimes he reverts and tries to throw too much on some series.

I also think part of it has to do with the RB rotation.

Clay is a beast. Has great field vision.
Williams has some power, but loves running up the backs of our OL for minimal gain, or trying to hard to bounce it outside when he doesn't have too.
Finch just isn't utilized as much as I feel he should be. He is an elusive open field runner. And he is very quick on the zone reads when he gets the chance.

Did Finch even get on the field against TCU?

Wishboned
10/8/2013, 09:12 AM
Did Finch even get on the field against TCU?

Stats show he had one rushing attempt for 0 yards, and one reception for 3 yards.

Soonerwake
10/8/2013, 09:30 AM
1. A good game manager? Bell's instinctual long bomb TD pass to Bester against Notre Dame wasn't a game manager pass. Bell having at least 3 tough runs in both the Notre Dame and TCU games of 10 or more yards that went for critical first downs isn't a quality of a mere game manager. Bell has hit other money passes that weren't attributes of a mere game manager.

2. When Knight was in the game, he couldn't complete basic passes, so Oklahoma was very much a one dimensional offense. Even in his 9 of 16 performance in the 1st half against West Virginia, his completions weren't very accurate throws and negated a lot of potential YAC because of their inaccuracy. Oklahoma is NOT a one-dimensional offense when Bell is on the field.

3. Of course, OU's rushing offense clicked better when OU was facing LA-Monroe and West Virginia, their defensive fronts are a joke compared to both Notre Dame's and TCU's. Regardless of that, OU rushed for over 200 yards against Notre Dame AND TCU and that will very likely be the most rushing yards either of those teams give up against any team this season.

4. OU's offensive performances in the Notre Dame and TCU games will get it done against the likes of Baylor, Texas Tech and Oklahoma St. because their defenses are still a joke and products of their schedules. Notre Dame and TCU has the best defenses that Oklahoma will see this season and it's not even close and OU passed the test in both of those games because quite simply, Oklahoma won. If Oklahoma can go for 200+ on the ground against Notre Dame and TCU, they can go for 300+ on the ground against any remaining team on OU's schedule should OU so desire and that will keep those opposing offenses off the field a lot longer than they are used too.

People are underrating OU and are gun-shy just because of the way things have gone down in recent years. This is an entirely different OU team with new leadership on both sides of the ball and much better coaching in the trenches. This is a damn good ball club that knows how to make plays and win on both sides of the ball.

Very good points...

dennis580
10/8/2013, 11:40 AM
I think we are going to see some huge rushing games from Bell as the season progresses. Those back to back big first down runs by Bell at the end of the of the TCU game is something I feel we are going to see more of, and that last run Bell was extremely close to breaking it for a possible TD. We are certainly going to see some 100 yard rushing games from Bell no doubt about it, and I believe we will also see some 20 carry games from Bell as we wear down defenses.

BoulderSooner79
10/8/2013, 11:57 AM
I think we are going to see some huge rushing games from Bell as the season progresses. Those back to back big first down runs by Bell at the end of the of the TCU game is something I feel we are going to see more of, and that last run Bell was extremely close to breaking it for a possible TD. We are certainly going to see some 100 yard rushing games from Bell no doubt about it, and I believe we will also see some 20 carry games from Bell as we wear down defenses.

I seriously doubt this - especially the 20 carries part. Bell is the starting QB and we don't want him hurt. Those last carries against TCU and a couple of the ones against ND are exactly what we need. A few carries in critical situations, otherwise let our talented RBs run the ball.

8timechamps
10/8/2013, 04:15 PM
I seriously doubt this - especially the 20 carries part. Bell is the starting QB and we don't want him hurt. Those last carries against TCU and a couple of the ones against ND are exactly what we need. A few carries in critical situations, otherwise let our talented RBs run the ball.

While I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two 100 yard games from Bell, I don't think we'll ever see 20 carries a game from him...our backs don't even get that many opportunities. In fact, at one point in the third quarter of the TCU game, we only had something like 50 total offensive plays.

yankee
10/8/2013, 04:27 PM
blake bell rools and I don't care who knows

picasso
10/8/2013, 04:38 PM
I don't see Bell running often out of set plays simply for health reasons.