PDA

View Full Version : C. Nelson to have surgery

CatfishSooner
10/6/2013, 05:19 PM
per stoops...torn pec

TXBOOMER
10/6/2013, 05:27 PM
That freaking sucks. He was having a hell of a year.

JLEW1818
10/6/2013, 05:28 PM
Out for the season if that is the case, I would think.

Next man up.

CatfishSooner
10/6/2013, 05:29 PM
possible medical redshirt?

VA Sooner
10/6/2013, 05:32 PM
Damn. He was the leader on defense and running the boys well out there.

Who steps up next.... Shannon? Colvin? Someone take the reins and let's move on.

Best wishes, Corey. Hope we see you again soon!

olevetonahill
10/6/2013, 05:33 PM

Be doubtful wouldnt it after 5 games? Dont remember the rule if there even is one.

colleyvillesooner
10/6/2013, 05:35 PM
Isn't it 25% of the season. Which would have been up last week.

Jacie
10/6/2013, 05:37 PM
Tape him up, send him back in.

cherokeebrewer
10/6/2013, 05:41 PM
That really sucks for Corey. He was having a great year. We gonna miss him...

olevetonahill
10/6/2013, 05:52 PM
Isn't it 25% of the season. Which would have been up last week.

Just found this , Im guessin he wont get one

Medical Hardship Requirements

To be eligible for a medical hardship waiver, a student-athlete has to meet the following criteria:

The student-athlete must suffer the injury during one of their four seasons of college competition or during the senior year of high school.
The injury must be incapacitating. That means it must be a season-ending injury.
The injury must occur prior to the start of the second half of the season.
The student-athlete must not have competed in more than 30% of the season or three contests, whichever is greater.

yermom
10/6/2013, 05:55 PM
dammit

CatfishSooner
10/6/2013, 06:01 PM
I feel bad for him...he was having a great year...

JiminyChristmas
10/6/2013, 06:14 PM
Sucks for Corey for sure. After the frustrating year for LBs last year and being off to such a great start this year, I'm sure he is devastated. Hopefully he can help coach up those younger guys and keep having an impact from the sideline.

Dominique Alexander appears to be the natural replacement based on playing time this year and probably Aaron Franklin comes in when they go to the 3-4. Luckily, we probably are past the teams where we would play the 3-4 a lot more than the 3-3. If they do go to it, Aaron Franklin is probably the 4th LB now. Be curious to see if they roll Alexander down to the OLB position on the LOS that Nelson played in the 3-4 though. Maybe they play 3 DEs instead with Tapper, Ndulue, and Grissom (not sure any of them really run well enough for that position though). However they play it, Shannon has got to step up now and become the leader on the field getting everybody lined up right. It's a good thing Alexander has gotten as much time as he has already this year, he's going to have big shoes to fill.

Ruf/Nek7
10/6/2013, 06:21 PM
Damn, right after i made a bet that OU would hold Baylor under 30. SOB

soonercastor
10/6/2013, 06:46 PM
Why would he redshirt even if that were an option?

OU_Sooners75
10/6/2013, 06:49 PM

Possible, but unlikely since he played more than. 25% of the season

OU_Sooners75
10/6/2013, 06:50 PM
Damn, right after i made a bet that OU would hold Baylor under 30. SOB

OU will be fine.

Widescreen
10/6/2013, 06:54 PM
Out for the season. Bad for Corey. Bad for OU.

He'll definitely be missed.

swardboy
10/6/2013, 06:57 PM
So did Stoops say last night he'd be fine? A Stoops presser is about the biggest waste of time known to man.

JLEW1818
10/6/2013, 06:59 PM
So did Stoops say last night he'd be fine? A Stoops presser is about the biggest waste of time known to man.

Yep. He doesn't want to give them, why even make him?

olevetonahill
10/6/2013, 07:10 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/oklahoma-lb-nelson-likely-injury-224817870--ncaaf.html

hawaii 5-0
10/6/2013, 08:17 PM
I'm not into the 'bad luck' thing, but before this game I had noticed that unlike previous years we were well into the season without losing any key players.

It seemed like we lost a coupla good ones before the first snap.

Alas. Nelson was a key player both his on field play as well as his leadership. At least he'll be on the sidelines helping out.

5-0

8timechamps
10/6/2013, 08:48 PM
To be fair, Stoops did say he didn't know everything about Corey's condition right after the game. Plus, Stoops NEVER really details any injury.

This is really sad for Corey. He lived through last year's LB debacle, and appeared to be off to an excellent start.

This isn't going to cripple OU's defense in any way. Alexander is a quality player, and he's already seen action in every game.

This just sucks for Nelson, who had worked very hard in the off season, and was on a mission to prove that LB's deserved to be on the field in Mike's defense.

yermom
10/6/2013, 08:51 PM
I'm not into the 'bad luck' thing, but before this game I had noticed that unlike previous years we were well into the season without losing any key players.

It seemed like we lost a coupla good ones before the first snap.

Alas. Nelson was a key player both his on field play as well as his leadership. At least he'll be on the sidelines helping out.

5-0

So this is your fault?

Piware
10/6/2013, 10:30 PM
Sure hate this for Corey. He is such a leader and has worked so hard. Speedy recovery and best wishes for him.

MyT Oklahoma
10/6/2013, 10:33 PM
Yes this really does suck for Corey.

Sorry to see him go so soon but I wish him the best and a full recovery.

Thanks for everything big guy.

kevpks
10/7/2013, 08:04 AM
I'm sad for Corey as well. I'm glad that he packed more huge moments into half a season than many players have in their career. That Notre Dame touchdown will live on forever with Sooner fans.

cleller
10/7/2013, 08:07 AM
As most probably know, Nelson has been a Stoops favorite for quite awhile. Really solid guy that was taking a leadership role this year.

His absence is not going to go un-noticed, I'm afraid. He was running the show on D.

C&CDean
10/7/2013, 08:46 AM
Too bad for Corey. Hope we can fill the void without missing a beat.

Now I just hope that part of his rehab includes catching interceptions thrown directly to him. Man this guy has hands of stone.

olevetonahill
10/7/2013, 08:48 AM
Too bad for Corey. Hope we can fill the void without missing a beat.

Now I just hope that part of his rehab includes catching interceptions thrown directly to him. Man this guy has hands of stone.

It will help him If he gets drafted. He's a senior this year.

badger
10/7/2013, 08:51 AM
Read only if you want to be angry (http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=2382600&forum_id=5)

picasso
10/7/2013, 08:57 AM
Why would anyone waste their time on an Aggy site?
Lemme guess, they're making light of his injury?
Impressive humanity and mentality on display.

badger
10/7/2013, 08:59 AM
Why would anyone waste their time on an Aggy site?
Lemme guess, they're making light of his injury?
Impressive humanity and mentality on display.

I agree that I waste too much time on that site. I was actually visiting to see if they had any info on a certain offensive lineman that got drafted high by the absolute worst franchise in the NFL... when I noticed that by accident.

colleyvillesooner
10/7/2013, 09:00 AM
Aggie being Aggie. What a shock.

TrophyCollector
10/7/2013, 09:53 AM
This isn't going to cripple OU's defense in any way. Alexander is a quality player, and he's already seen action in every game.

Cripple, no. Hurt significantly, yes. Lost the best LB, middle LB, defensive QB, senior experience and defensive captain in one shot. Defense may still wind up being great, but we will never know how great they could have been.

Okie35
10/7/2013, 12:36 PM
I feel bad I thought it was just a shoulder sprain or something. I wish him a healthy recovery. I think the defense wi be fine for the time being given we rotate a lot of players. The last stretch of away games might be concerning unless the next man up gains confidence and plays well. Since that's Alexander we will be fine. We did lose a leader though and a damn good player.

8timechamps
10/7/2013, 04:07 PM
Cripple, no. Hurt significantly, yes. Lost the best LB, middle LB, defensive QB, senior experience and defensive captain in one shot. Defense may still wind up being great, but we will never know how great they could have been.

I don't think it's going to "hurt significantly" either.

Frank Shannon has played better than Nelson to this point (not taking anything away from Corey, he's great), and there will be a lot of times when Mike rolls Shannon into the game when Nelson would have been the only LB in the set. In those instances, we won't even notice a difference.

Otherwise, we'll see either Dominique Alexander or Aaron Franklin, both more-than-adequate replacements. Mike may go with Franklin for the Texas game, only because of time-on-task, but by the end of the year, Alexander will be the starter there.

The one thing I agree with you about is that we lose his captaincy on the field. That's going to be an adjustment, and it will take some time. As for being the best defensive QB, I disagree with that too. Colvin has been the secondary QB, and Lynn has taken a strong leadership role. We have enough senior leadership to offset one guy going down.

Sure, we'd be in better shape if Corey were in the game, but I don't think we're anywhere near being hurt significantly. When I think of that, I think of Ryan Reynolds going down and Brandon Crow filling in, we're not even in the same ballpark with this situation.