PDA

View Full Version : Stoops on SEC defenses.....I love this guy!

agoo758
10/3/2013, 12:09 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9761926/bob-stoops-oklahoma-sooners-challenges-sec-defenses-again

Bob Stoops is at it again.

Bob Stoops on SEC: "Funny how people can't play defense when they have pro-style quarterbacks over there."
The Oklahoma coach took another shot at the SEC on Wednesday night, questioning the league's reputation for quality defenses just months after calling its mystique "propaganda."

"Just a few years ago, we had all the quarterbacks," Stoops said in a small session with beat reporters, according to The Oklahoman. "And now, all of a sudden, we can play a little better defense and some other people can't play defense.

"Funny how people can't play defense when they have pro-style quarterbacks over there, which we've had. They're all playing in the NFL right now."

SEC teams have had difficulty slowing down the stellar quarterbacks in their league this year, including Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel, Georgia's Aaron Murray and LSU's Zach Mettenberger.

Meanwhile, former Big 12 stars like Baylor's Robert Griffin III, Oklahoma State's Brandon Weeden and Texas A&M's Ryan Tannehill currently are playing in the NFL after terrorizing the conference's defenses with their arms in years past.

Stoops has consistently pointed to Texas A&M, which left the Big 12 for the SEC prior to the 2012 season, then put up stellar offensive numbers in the SEC, as an example of the type of offense his Sooners had to face regularly in Big 12 play.

With Tannehill under center, the Aggies averaged 39.1 points and 490.2 yards per game as a member of the Big 12 in 2011. With Manziel taking snaps, Texas A&M averaged 44.5 points and 558.5 yards per game as a member of the SEC in 2012.

"I still don't know how (Texas) A&M was third in the country in total offense and scoring offense playing all those SEC defenses. I have no idea how that happened," Stoops said. "Oh, they got a quarterback. That's right."

swardboy
10/3/2013, 03:40 AM
shiite meet fan.

soonerhubs
10/3/2013, 06:54 AM
In before the obligatory, "SEC has a history!" from collier or curly.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/3/2013, 07:15 AM
Oklahoma spent a month preparing for ATM and gave up 41 points. Alabama spent an entire off-season preparing for ATM and gave up 42 points. And while TCU has one of the weaker offenses in the Big 12, they scored 28 points against LSU despite losing their starting QB in that game. And Texas scored 66 points at Ole Miss last season. And a couple of seasons ago, West Virginia put up over 400 yards against LSU despite having 4 turnovers in that game.

And the SEC doesn't play defense, only a few teams do, the big time programs like Alabama and Florida as an example. And it's just like the SEC hasn't won the last 7 BCS titles in a row, Alabama and Florida have won 5 out of the last 7 BCS titles.

badger
10/3/2013, 08:16 AM
I bet texags is melting down over this. (http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=2380934&forum_id=5)

KantoSooner
10/3/2013, 08:21 AM
Bob's kinda right....and it doesn't matter. Until such time as other conferences start winning the big head-to-heads, we're going to listen to their crap. And not undeservedly. Teams from the SEC have won a lot of championships over the past decade.

Mjcpr
10/3/2013, 08:30 AM
He is right but he's just putting himself out there for bashing by the media and SEC homers by saying it and it doesn't benefit us in any way so I wish he'd just keep those thoughts to himself.

badger
10/3/2013, 08:30 AM
Bob's kinda right....and it doesn't matter. Until such time as other conferences start winning the big head-to-heads, we're going to listen to their crap. And not undeservedly. Teams from the SEC have won a lot of championships over the past decade.

We are in this region of the country so we are going to hear a lot of poo pooing Stoops for these comments, but the majority of the country is sick of the SEC and probably thinking the same thing he is.

They've been getting the benefit of the doubt too much in the BCS. They've been getting too much media love. They have just as many crap teams as other conferences, but having Bammer and Saban suddenly makes everyone in the SEC the national champion. It's time to cut them down to what they really are: Bama and everyone else.

http://i44.tinypic.com/qyzmky.png

Wow, look at the only* undefeated team in the entire SEC left! And we're not even halfway through the season!

*F*** Missouri

instigator
10/3/2013, 08:32 AM
I bet texags is melting down over this. (http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=2380934&forum_id=5)

I don't think those guys get his point. Isn't he using them as an example of how they were good with Tannehill B12 and continue to be with JFF in the SEC?

KantoSooner
10/3/2013, 08:38 AM
Badger (or NP),
You can be just as right as can be...and it still doesn't matter until somebody outside the SEC starts winning championships. You'll remember ten years ago when the Pac12 was everyone's darling and was going to keep on winning forever? This era, too, will pass.

badger
10/3/2013, 08:39 AM
I don't think those guys get his point. Isn't he using them as an example of how they were good with Tannehill B12 and continue to be with JFF in the SEC?

Aggie missing the point... wouldn't be the first time.

Also, in case any of you are curious, every other BCS conference, including the sh!tty AAC has at least two undefeated teams left. We have 3 (Tech, Baylor, us). The b***s**** argument that the SEC can't all be undefeated since their conference is sooooo tough doesn't stand here either, because their two top teams in the East lost to ACC teams.

PS: Once again, Missouri doesn't count. **** Missouri.

badger
10/3/2013, 08:41 AM
Badger (or NP),
You can be just as right as can be...and it still doesn't matter until somebody outside the SEC starts winning championships. You'll remember ten years ago when the Pac12 was everyone's darling and was going to keep on winning forever? This era, too, will pass.

I don't recall anyone confusing the Pac 10/12 with USC. The "dynasty" was USC, not the Pac 10/12.

Same goes for Miami and its Big East. Everyone knew the Big East was sh!t and The U was the sh!t.

By the end of the season, they'll probably be saying the same thing about whoever is left on top of the Big 12. Hope its us

Mac94
10/3/2013, 09:01 AM
Also, in case any of you are curious, every other BCS conference, including the sh!tty AAC has at least two undefeated teams left. We have 3 (Tech, Baylor, us). The b***s**** argument that the SEC can't all be undefeated since their conference is sooooo tough doesn't stand here either, because their two top teams in the East lost to ACC teams.

The SEC gets alot of hate because it's been so good for so long ... it has been like it or not. That said ... this years SEC isn't as good as it has been. In the East Florida has taken a step back and Georgia has taken a small step back and who knows what S. Carolina is these days. The SEC east isn't what it was last year. As for the West, Bama is still very good ... but watching them they seem to be not quite the monster their rep makes them out to be ... and my Aggies, while offensively a powerhouse, is defensively just plain bad. The SEC this year is living more off of rep than actual performance.

the Pac-12, IMHO, is the best conference this year with real quality in Oregon and Stanford and some good middle class teams like UCLA and Arizona St.

As for what Bob Stoops said, I have no problem with it ... the SEC is down this year and as I said in the off season, he has to recruit against us and other SEC teams coming into Texas for kids ... he has a vested interest in pumping the Big-12 and countering the "SEC is all powerfull" hype.

jkjsooner
10/3/2013, 10:07 AM
Reading the comments in that article drives me nuts. I love it how the SEC revisionists say that both LSU and Florida throttled us. Those games were both hard fought and winnable by either team deep in the fourth quarter. That's not to mention that Jason White could barely throw the ball against LSU and we didn't have Murray to punch it in the endzone against Florida (which made all the difference).

It's funny that people use the Florida game to counter what Stoops is saying. Sure, Florida did hold us to 14 points. I don't think anyone expected us to run up the score in that game. National title games never go that way. What they miss, and what makes Stoops's case, is that we held Florida to 24 points and 7 of them were with two minutes remaining. Meanwhile, OSU and Texas put up over 40 on us.

It looks to me like OU's defense would have looked a lot better playing against the likes of Florida instead of many of the Big 12 teams. That was Bob's point.

Mac94
10/3/2013, 10:17 AM
OU should have beaten FLorida ... if I remember correctly, OU was about to score right before half but a disasterous turnover was returned for a TD the totally changed the game. The title game against LSU was disappointing in the the offense struggled ... but the Sooner D played great and the kids fought to the very end with the Sooners throwing into the endzone late to tie the game. LSU's performance against OU did show some tought defense though, as did Auburn's win over high powered Oregon.

I do think the SEC streak ends this year. I think Oregon will take it all ... and if they play and SEC team I kinda hope it's Bama as I don't think Saban can deal with Oregon's type of offense and watching Oregon do to Saban what A&M's offense did to Saban would be fun. And Oregon will bring a real defense (unlike my Aggies).

Eielson
10/3/2013, 10:24 AM
We lost to LSU because our quarterback was playing hurt. We lost to Florida because that was two of the most talented teams in the last decade, and we just came up a little short.

Like was said earlier, we didn't score many points in either game...but neither did they.

rock on sooner
10/3/2013, 10:28 AM
Reading the comments in that article drives me nuts. I love it how the SEC revisionists say that both LSU and Florida throttled us. Those games were both hard fought and winnable by either team deep in the fourth quarter. That's not to mention that Jason White could barely throw the ball against LSU and we didn't have Murray to punch it in the endzone against Florida (which made all the difference).

It's funny that people use the Florida game to counter what Stoops is saying. Sure, Florida did hold us to 14 points. I don't think anyone expected us to run up the score in that game. National title games never go that way. What they miss, and what makes Stoops's case, is that we held Florida to 24 points and 7 of them were with two minutes remaining. Meanwhile, OSU and Texas put up over 40 on us.

It looks to me like OU's defense would have looked a lot better playing against the likes of Florida instead of many of the Big 12 teams. That was Bob's point.
Re LSU...we had an idiot OC calling four straight pass plays with an
injured QB against a team that was gassed because we ran the ball
down their throats (and down the field) in the fourth quarter...all
this inside the ten yard line.....

jkjsooner
10/3/2013, 10:37 AM

Yes, we all scratch our head over that one.

Defenses do tend to tighten up in the redzone and I can only guess that that is what Long was thinking about. But LSU was so tired I just don't think they could have stopped us from running it in.

KantoSooner
10/3/2013, 10:56 AM
I don't recall anyone confusing the Pac 10/12 with USC. The "dynasty" was USC, not the Pac 10/12.

Same goes for Miami and its Big East. Everyone knew the Big East was sh!t and The U was the sh!t.

By the end of the season, they'll probably be saying the same thing about whoever is left on top of the Big 12. Hope its us

Me, too. I probably got more of it as I was living closer to them then, but I got awfully tired of hearing about the 'top-to-bottom' dominance of the Pac12. it passed. So will the SEC.

badger
10/3/2013, 10:58 AM

Kejuan later said that Third and Long apologized to him after the game. He also blamed that game for ruining his pro prospects, if I recall correctly.

I hope the SEC really doesn't expect the rest of the country to roll over and beg them to let them compliment their football even more.

Let's continue the SEC bashing bash: ALABAMA has 3 of the last 4. NOT the SEC. ALABAMA and Alabama ALONE has 3 of the last 4.

The rest of the SEC and their one-loss-or-worse sh!tpile ****ing sucks.*

*Missouri still does not count. F*** Missouri.

PrideMom
10/3/2013, 11:32 AM
Football is a TEAM sport. No matter what type of quarterback you have, if the offensive line does not do what they are supposed to do, the quarterback can't do his thing. St. Louis Rams, are you listening?

badger
10/3/2013, 11:58 AM
SEC sans Bama: So sh!tty OKLAST can beat them* :stunned:

*Not sh!tty enough that Texas can beat them

BigTip
10/3/2013, 12:03 PM
Football is a TEAM sport. No matter what type of quarterback you have, if the offensive line does not do what they are supposed to do, the quarterback can't do his thing. St. Louis Rams, are you listening?

LOL, I was yelling at the screen a couple of weeks ago. Protect Him!!!!!
Kind of sickening how pathetic that line is isn't it?

8timechamps
10/3/2013, 12:41 PM
ESPN wants this to be "another dig at the SEC" so badly. The reality is that Stoops was answering a question on HIS OWN RADIO SHOW. How many coaches talk about other teams, conferences and even players on their own radio show? Why doesn't that ever make "news"?

Another reality is that Stoops was right. At this moment, there are better QB's in the SEC. Surprise, the SEC defenses don't look so dominate! Then you have the Big XII, with what, one or two returning starters at QB? Surprise, the Big XII defenses are faring better!

I guess I'm missing the part where Stoops "took a shot" at the SEC. ESPN is really good at story lines....even if there really isn't one.

Soonerwake
10/3/2013, 12:59 PM
The fact that 5 million defensive players are drafted out of the SEC every year doesn't help though..

Bourbon St Sooner
10/3/2013, 01:00 PM

Aggie shouldn't be talking about playing defense these days. Rice's highest offensive output is against their sh!tty D.

If the jort wearing, toothless methhead sec fans don't like Stoops telling the truth then they can eat sh!t.

8timechamps
10/3/2013, 01:01 PM
The fact that 5 million defensive players are drafted out of the SEC every year doesn't help though..

I shouldn't have laughed as hard at that as I did.

badger
10/3/2013, 01:02 PM

It's all that southern obesity. Weight lifting might convince them they're big boned, but really it's morbid, morbid obesity. It's what makes SEC defenses so deadly.

Mac94
10/3/2013, 01:06 PM
SEC sans Bama: So sh!tty OKLAST can beat them

SEC sans Bama is 2-1 against the Big-12 this season ... and this isn't the greatest SEC right now. ;)

8timechamps
10/3/2013, 01:13 PM
SEC sans Bama is 2-1 against the Big-12 this season ... and this isn't the greatest SEC right now. ;)

North Dakota State and Towson are 2-0 against the FBS this year...does that mean their better than the FBS? :D

Mac94
10/3/2013, 01:20 PM
North Dakota State and Towson are 2-0 against the FBS this year...does that mean their better than the FBS?

Ask badger ... just using her logic against her ;)

picasso
10/3/2013, 01:36 PM
He is right but he's just putting himself out there for bashing by the media and SEC homers by saying it and it doesn't benefit us in any way so I wish he'd just keep those thoughts to himself.
Benefit us? Would you rather he doosh it up like Mack Brown?

picasso
10/3/2013, 01:38 PM
And the Big 12 is at it's best?
aTm might have a tare shot at a Big 12 title this year?

Mac94
10/3/2013, 01:42 PM
And the Big 12 is at it's best?

Nope ... and for me ... that's the problem for the Big-12 and OU ... Nebraska, Colorado, Mizzou, and A&M ain't walking back in the door they used to leave. The Big-12 of today isn't what it was in the early 2000's when OU, Texas, KSU, Nebraska, etc were all powers and there was good depth as well. That Big-12 ain't coming back ... and TCU and WV can't make up that void.

jkjsooner
10/3/2013, 01:53 PM
This whole thing has been taken way out of context. Basically all Stoops said was that the defensive reputations and rankings depend greatly on the quality of the offenses and that recent history with the Big 12 and SEC proves this out.

This point should be obvious to anyone.

But in today's world, if you don't kiss the SEC's butt then you're talking trash.

Just read that 8time stated it better than I could...

ESPN wants this to be "another dig at the SEC" so badly. The reality is that Stoops was answering a question on HIS OWN RADIO SHOW. How many coaches talk about other teams, conferences and even players on their own radio show? Why doesn't that ever make "news"?

Another reality is that Stoops was right. At this moment, there are better QB's in the SEC. Surprise, the SEC defenses don't look so dominate! Then you have the Big XII, with what, one or two returning starters at QB? Surprise, the Big XII defenses are faring better!

I guess I'm missing the part where Stoops "took a shot" at the SEC. ESPN is really good at story lines....even if there really isn't one.

Eielson
10/3/2013, 02:06 PM
Nope ... and for me ... that's the problem for the Big-12 and OU ... Nebraska, Colorado, Mizzou, and A&M ain't walking back in the door they used to leave. The Big-12 of today isn't what it was in the early 2000's when OU, Texas, KSU, Nebraska, etc were all powers and there was good depth as well. That Big-12 ain't coming back ... and TCU and WV can't make up that void.

OU and Texas made the Big XII great. Those that left were solid contributors at best, and Colorado couldn't even be called that. Mizzou and Nebraska benefited from a weak North division, so they occasionally looked better than they were, but they were no match for the powers of the south division. A&M didn't win the Big XII South once in their last ten or so years, and weren't even in contention more than once. They consistently beat up on Baylor and OSU, but even that wasn't happening by the time of their departure.

The main reason the Big XII has dropped off is because Mack is in charge in Austin, but that's about to change. Texas will be back soon, and the rise of Baylor and OSU from bottom-dwellers to top 25 programs has helped to offset the losses of the teams mentioned. The Big XII isn't loaded with bad programs. Several teams are just having down years.

badger
10/3/2013, 02:43 PM
Ask badger ... just using her logic against her ;)

I've already told you what I think of head to head matchups between conferences on another thread, dear. Logic has no place in the world of college football anyway. Hell, beating Sam Houston State and other creampuffs made Texas A&M a top 10 team. Logic schmogic.

jkjsooner
10/3/2013, 02:55 PM
OU and Texas made the Big XII great. Those that left were solid contributors at best, and Colorado couldn't even be called that.

As of late you could say that. In the early days of the Big XII Nebraska was the dominant team and it wasn't close. In those days OU was terrible and Texas (despite one conference championship) was mediocre at best.

Colorado still had pretty solid teams but they were off from their peak under the McCartney years.

When the Big XII was formed, people were worried that there was a major imbalance in strength between the north and south divisions and it was the north that was dominant. Nobody in the south had teams on par with KSU and Nebraska. Texas was very lucky to upset NU that first year.

picasso
10/3/2013, 03:30 PM
Pride Mom, I see what you're saying but did you notice anything different in our offense going from Trevor Knight to Blake Bell?

Sabanball
10/4/2013, 10:41 PM
I am really disappointed in Bob. He coaches one of the undisputed top3 programs of all time and has had great overall success. How does he benefit by throwing rocks at the SEC? If Nick made these kind of comments about the Big 12 on his radio call-in show, I would be embarrassed. NOTHING good will come of it.

Do your talking on the field, Bob. You're better than this.

Temujin
10/4/2013, 10:52 PM
I am really disappointed in Bob. He coaches one of the undisputed top3 programs of all time and has had great overall success. How does he benefit by throwing rocks at the SEC? If Nick made these kind of comments about the Big 12 on his radio call-in show, I would be embarrassed. NOTHING good will come of it.

I can see that he didn't state it eloquently, but what he did say was correct - that playing defense is a lot harder when you face talented offensive coordinators and highly-skilled QBs. Let's be honest, too. The SEC isn't known for quality QBs, aside from "maybe" Matt Stafford. Of course, SEC zealots take offense and translate it as "SEC doesn't play defense". If you're willing to pay attention, you'll see he was actually complimenting Aaron Murray and Zach Mettenberger...and even JFF. So, the problem isn't what Bob said so much as how it gets twisted.

Sabanball
10/4/2013, 10:53 PM
Oklahoma spent a month preparing for ATM and gave up 41 points. Alabama spent an entire off-season preparing for ATM and gave up 42 points. And while TCU has one of the weaker offenses in the Big 12, they scored 28 points against LSU despite losing their starting QB in that game. And Texas scored 66 points at Ole Miss last season. And a couple of seasons ago, West Virginia put up over 400 yards against LSU despite having 4 turnovers in that game.

And the SEC doesn't play defense, only a few teams do, the big time programs like Alabama and Florida as an example. And it's just like the SEC hasn't won the last 7 BCS titles in a row, Alabama and Florida have won 5 out of the last 7 BCS titles.

You're comparing different teams from different seasons. Bama gave up 29 pts to last yrs tamu team, OU gave up over 40. We also both know what happened between our other common opponent, ND.

Temujin
10/4/2013, 10:57 PM
You're comparing different teams from different seasons. Bama gave up 29 pts to last yrs tamu team, OU gave up over 40. We also both know what happened between our other common opponent, ND.

Well, we CAN compare the same team(s) from the same season(s) if you want to go that route - (see: 2002/2003 OU vs. Alabama) ;)

agoo758
10/4/2013, 10:57 PM

No one argued that OU was any good last year you dummy. You completely missed the point of this thread.

Sabanball
10/4/2013, 11:01 PM
I can see that he didn't state it eloquently, but what he did say was correct - that playing defense is a lot harder when you face talented offensive coordinators and highly-skilled QBs. Let's be honest, too. The SEC isn't known for quality QBs, aside from "maybe" Matt Stafford. Of course, SEC zealots take offense and translate it as "SEC doesn't play defense". If you're willing to pay attention, you'll see he was actually complimenting Aaron Murray and Zach Mettenberger...and even JFF. So, the problem isn't what Bob said so much as how it gets twisted.

Perhaps, but it was still at the very least a veiled shot at how we play D.

I've always liked Bob and had the utmost respect for what he has accomplished, but I think he's much better served if he would refrain from making comments like this. Whether he intended it to or not, it comes across as whiny. If Nick did it, I would say the same thing.

Temujin
10/4/2013, 11:11 PM
Perhaps, but it was still at the very least a veiled shot at how we play D.

I've always liked Bob and had the utmost respect for what he has accomplished, but I think he's much better served if he would refrain from making comments like this. Whether he intended it to or not, it comes across as whiny. If Nick did it, I would say the same thing.

Yeah, I get that's how you see it, but it doesn't make you right. Stoops faced a series of questions about his defense, and his response was "Look at the SEC. They used to be known for playing quality defense, but now they're struggling. Why? Because they have the QBs. That's why everyone thought the Big XII played terrible defense when we were playing against RGIII, Landry/Bradford, etc." That's what you call a comparison, not a veiled dig. If anything it wasn't a dig at the SEC, it was a dig at media perception.

PLaw
10/5/2013, 06:21 AM
OU should have beaten FLorida ... if I remember correctly, OU was about to score right before half but a disasterous turnover was returned for a TD the totally changed the game. The title game against LSU was disappointing in the the offense struggled ... but the Sooner D played great and the kids fought to the very end with the Sooners throwing into the endzone late to tie the game. LSU's performance against OU did show some tought defense though, as did Auburn's win over high powered Oregon.

I do think the SEC streak ends this year. I think Oregon will take it all ... and if they play and SEC team I kinda hope it's Bama as I don't think Saban can deal with Oregon's type of offense and watching Oregon do to Saban what A&M's offense did to Saban would be fun. And Oregon will bring a real defense (unlike my Aggies).

OU had the opportunity to be up 2 TD's at the half. Not having Murray in the red zone was huge. At full strength. OU wins that game going away.

We spot LSU 7 right out of the gate. It was a slobber knocker, we just ran short on time.

Some of the other BCS losses could also be attributed to an OU squad that was less than full strength due to injuries or suspensions.

Boomer

badger
10/5/2013, 07:31 AM
Btw, I just noticed that * undefeated* Missouri is not even ranked.

C'mon pollsters... Don't you know that they are in the sec now? :)

thecrimsoncrusader
10/5/2013, 09:32 AM

Whatever, loser. Go post on a Bama board.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/5/2013, 09:36 AM

And Bama gave up 42 points against this year's ATM's offense that is not as good as last year's ATM's offense and Ryan Swope was a key third down target for Manziel that has been missed. And regardless of that, the point still stands that when SEC teams actually play competent and healthy offenses, their defenses aren't any better than anyone else's. There's only a few teams in the SEC that truly play defense worth a damn on a regular basis.

Breadburner
10/5/2013, 10:45 AM
Btw, I just noticed that * undefeated* Missouri is not even ranked.

C'mon pollsters... Don't you know that they are in the sec now? :)

I have not heard anyone mention anything about Mizzery......

SOONER44EVER
10/6/2013, 12:27 AM
The last time we played an SEC team their defense AND offense owned us. Bob needs to shut his trap and concentrate on the Oklahoma Sooners and quit worrying about the SEC, their defenses and which conference is better.

Eielson
10/6/2013, 12:33 AM
The last time we played an SEC team their defense AND offense owned us. Bob needs to shut his trap and concentrate on the Oklahoma Sooners and quit worrying about the SEC, their defenses and which conference is better.

The time before that, we owned that "SEC" team.

olevetonahill
10/6/2013, 12:36 AM

When you start earning 5 mil a year Ill start listenin to ya about what BOB should do

SOONER44EVER
10/6/2013, 12:54 AM
The time before that, we owned that "SEC" team.

They weren't in the SEC then. I never talk smack about a team that has scoreboard on us. LSU, Florida, Texas A&M and Mississippi all have scoreboard against us, in bowl games, against Stoops. The only SEC team Stoops has beaten in a bowl game is Arkansas. Every one of their defenses, including Arkansas, held us well below or season averages for points. Maybe if he had a better than 20% record against them I wouldn't think what he was saying was kinda dumb. Maybe he should just be quiet and get the team to prove it on the field.

Scott D
10/6/2013, 10:00 PM
Funny how nobody talks about how Saban and Bielma whining about "fast break" style of play as taking shots at conferences that play that style of play. I mean afterall, they're really taking shots at everyone that runs a lot of plays at a quick pace. ;)

SOONER44EVER
10/6/2013, 11:31 PM
When you start earning 5 mil a year Ill start listenin to ya about what BOB should do I don't really think how much a person makes has anything to do with it.

badger
10/7/2013, 08:57 AM
I have not heard anyone mention anything about Mizzery......
I know, and it's hilarious because if they were in the Big 12 they'd be able to talk about a conference championship or national title hopes, but because they're in a bloated 14-team SEC where nobody believes they have a snowball's chance in hell of winning, they're not even in the coaches poll this week despite now being 5-0.

I don't really think how much a person makes has anything to do with it.

OK dude, don't take it the wrong way, but I do recall a few years ago on here someone talking about a friend who could never stop sharing his football knowledge, and when he got to the front of the Stoops autograph line, he told him about the perfect way to defend the spread offense.

Stoops reportedly replied "That's great, you should do that when you coach your own football team!"

So yeah... make $5 million or not, Stoops is coaching the best college football program in the country and we are not, nor will we ever :)

Bourbon St Sooner
10/7/2013, 09:30 AM

I'd be embarrassed if my coach were whining about offenses snapping the ball too fast. Unbunch your panties son and head back to the circle jerk boards.

Bourbon St Sooner
10/7/2013, 09:38 AM
They weren't in the SEC then. I never talk smack about a team that has scoreboard on us. LSU, Florida, Texas A&M and Mississippi all have scoreboard against us, in bowl games, against Stoops. The only SEC team Stoops has beaten in a bowl game is Arkansas. Every one of their defenses, including Arkansas, held us well below or season averages for points. Maybe if he had a better than 20% record against them I wouldn't think what he was saying was kinda dumb. Maybe he should just be quiet and get the team to prove it on the field.

Well, we have scoreboard on bammer so bammer loser can suck it!

Arizona has scoreboard on us too. I hope you always give them the utmost respect.

Jason White's Third Knee
10/7/2013, 09:49 AM

For the love of God, don't ever do that to me again.

badger
10/7/2013, 10:05 AM
For the love of God, don't ever do that to me again.

You've gotta be cruel to be kind.

Mac94
10/7/2013, 11:00 AM
Saban -

Why would you be disappointed in Stoops? I think you're totally missing the point of his jabs at the SEC ... think recruiting. Before A&M went into the SEC I don't remember Bob making comments like that ... but now with A&M in the SEC he has taken a few media shots at the conference. It really has to do, IMHO, with recruiting in the state of Texas, which is a lifeblood for the Sooner program. With the move of A&M into the SEC more and more recruits are looking at A&M or other SEC schools like LSU or Arkansas. The media loves the SEC, and kids hear what ESPN, etc have to say ... so all Bob is doing is giving a target audience something else to think about. It's all about recruiting ... so I don't have any problem with it at all.

picasso
10/7/2013, 11:25 AM
How did Saban's hair look when he said that?

SOONER44EVER
10/7/2013, 12:29 PM
I know, and it's hilarious because if they were in the Big 12 they'd be able to talk about a conference championship or national title hopes, but because they're in a bloated 14-team SEC where nobody believes they have a snowball's chance in hell of winning, they're not even in the coaches poll this week despite now being 5-0.

OK dude, don't take it the wrong way, but I do recall a few years ago on here someone talking about a friend who could never stop sharing his football knowledge, and when he got to the front of the Stoops autograph line, he told him about the perfect way to defend the spread offense.

Stoops reportedly replied "That's great, you should do that when you coach your own football team!"

So yeah... make $5 million or not, Stoops is coaching the best college football program in the country and we are not, nor will we ever :)
I didn't mean Stoops making 5 mil. I meant myself. If I made 5 mil as a rock star how would that make me any more knowledgeable about football?

SOONER44EVER
10/7/2013, 12:31 PM
Well, we have scoreboard on bammer so bammer loser can suck it!

Arizona has scoreboard on us too. I hope you always give them the utmost respect. I didn't say I gave them respect, I said I didn't talk smack about them. Big difference.

BigTip
10/7/2013, 12:39 PM
Every seems to think Bob is dissing the SEC with this comment.
Maybe so. But I see it as more of making fun of the media and how they slobber slobber over the SEC nutsack.

Temujin
10/7/2013, 03:28 PM
I didn't say I gave them respect, I said I didn't talk smack about them. Big difference.

As has been stated multiple times, Stoops wasn't talking smack about the SEC. He was making a simple comparison...namely that when you have quality QBs and good offensive coordinators, defense becomes a lot harder. He used the stigmas that have been attached to the SEC and the Big 12 to prove the comparison, that is all. It's eSECpn that blew it up into Stoops talking trash about the SEC. If anything he was talking trash about the media and how they blow things out of proportion when comparing two conferences...and then they proceeded to do exactly that by saying he was talking trash about the SEC. Bob may not be eloquent about making his point, but he's 100% correct.

SOONER44EVER
10/7/2013, 04:24 PM
As has been stated multiple times, Stoops wasn't talking smack about the SEC. He was making a simple comparison...namely that when you have quality QBs and good offensive coordinators, defense becomes a lot harder. He used the stigmas that have been attached to the SEC and the Big 12 to prove the comparison, that is all. It's eSECpn that blew it up into Stoops talking trash about the SEC. If anything he was talking trash about the media and how they blow things out of proportion when comparing two conferences...and then they proceeded to do exactly that by saying he was talking trash about the SEC. Bob may not be eloquent about making his point, but he's 100% correct. I didn't say Bob was talking smack. I just said I didn't. IMO he has more important things to worry about than how good, or bad, the SEC defenses are.

8timechamps
10/7/2013, 04:31 PM

Really?!

He was asked a question on his own radio show, and he answered. If you want to be disappointed in someone, be disappointed in ESPN, for spinning this to look like Stoops took a "shot" at the SEC.

I have to admit, I feel like SEC fans enjoy looking for reasons to feel slighted. There is no other explanation here.

Stoops said that last year, the Big XII had better QBs, which made the Big XII defenses look weak. This year, the SEC has better QBs, which is making the SEC defenses look weak.

Please, please, tell me how any of that isn't true?

8timechamps
10/7/2013, 04:35 PM
Yeah, I get that's how you see it, but it doesn't make you right. Stoops faced a series of questions about his defense, and his response was "Look at the SEC. They used to be known for playing quality defense, but now they're struggling. Why? Because they have the QBs. That's why everyone thought the Big XII played terrible defense when we were playing against RGIII, Landry/Bradford, etc." That's what you call a comparison, not a veiled dig. If anything it wasn't a dig at the SEC, it was a dig at media perception.

You said what I was trying to say (in my above post) much better.

I still cannot imagine why anyone that actually read the quote would be so upset. Again, the only thing I can come up with is they are looking for reasons to feel slighted. OR they are so brainwashed by ESPN, that they take whatever is "reported" as gospel, and go from there.

Wishboned
10/7/2013, 07:28 PM
You said what I was trying to say (in my above post) much better.

I still cannot imagine why anyone that actually read the quote would be so upset. Again, the only thing I can come up with is they are looking for reasons to feel slighted. OR they are so brainwashed by ESPN, that they take whatever is "reported" as gospel, and go from there.

So you're saying SEC means Sensitive Entitled Conference?

8timechamps
10/7/2013, 09:01 PM

Excellent!

badger
10/8/2013, 08:17 AM

I am five-starring this thread for that

BigTip
10/8/2013, 08:22 AM
Acronyms?
How about Sucks Every Co-k

PLaw
10/8/2013, 08:17 PM
>>Originally Posted by keefsmangledfingers View Post
Just now on espn Paul finebaum tells bob stoops to "shut his mouth about sec defenses". Then repeated "bob stoops should shut up". The espn announcer just laughed and nodded in approval.<<

The sec has clearly taken a page out of the progressive socialist's play book. Take control of the media, ignite the propaganda machine, and then dismiss opposing pov's as ignorant; uninformed; or extreme. Notice Finebaum's tone - very hateful, very progressive socialist.

Boomer

badger
10/9/2013, 09:51 AM
Just now on espn Paul finebaum tells bob stoops to "shut his mouth about sec defenses". Then repeated "bob stoops should shut up". The espn announcer just laughed and nodded in approval.<<

The sec has clearly taken a page out of the progressive socialist's play book. Take control of the media, ignite the propaganda machine, and then dismiss opposing pov's as ignorant; uninformed; or extreme. Notice Finebaum's tone - very hateful, very progressive socialist.

Boomer

$5 million a year invested in our biggest rival, and millions more invested in that bloated 14-team monstrosity, which I remind everyone that listens, has an undefeated team that still cannot crack the coaches poll top 25 despite being 5-0 now.

**** Mizzou

PLaw
10/9/2013, 01:13 PM
$5 million a year invested in our biggest rival, and millions more invested in that bloated 14-team monstrosity, which I remind everyone that listens, has an undefeated team that still cannot crack the coaches poll top 25 despite being 5-0 now.**** Mizzou

Actually, I'm very surprised that the mighty SEC SEC SEC, 5-0 mizzery tiggers aren't ranked higher than poor old, big12, 5-0 OU.

BoulderSooner79
10/9/2013, 01:17 PM
Actually, I'm very surprised that the mighty SEC SEC SEC, 5-0 mizzery tiggers aren't ranked higher than poor old, big12, 5-0 OU.

Wait until they beat UGA this weekend.

But seriously, I don't see how any Sooner fan can complain about OU rankings. Every year we are ranked as high or higher than we deserve. We still have a strong brand.

Temujin
10/9/2013, 01:46 PM
I didn't say Bob was talking smack. I just said I didn't. IMO he has more important things to worry about than how good, or bad, the SEC defenses are.

Agreed...like, for instance, answering questions about his defense on media days (as required by the Big 12). Of course, it doesn't sound like he's worried about it to me. I would say that a 5-0 record so far would indicate that he's focused where needs to be. Like I said before, the problem isn't with Bob, it's with guys like you and Sabanball (and ESPN) that are blowing this way out of proportion and making a big deal out of nothing. That's certainly your right, but it doesn't mean you're right.

No offense intended, just trying to get us all on the same page. Boomer Sooner brother.

Scott D
10/9/2013, 08:36 PM

Boomer

If anyone's ever heard Paul Finebaum's show it's all about pumping up the SEC and specifically the Alabama schools. Enough said there.

8timechamps
10/9/2013, 10:04 PM
If anyone's ever heard Paul Finebaum's show it's all about pumping up the SEC and specifically the Alabama schools. Enough said there.

This.

Finebaum is only at ESPN because he developed a name in Alabama, covering Auburn/Bama football, then eventually the SEC.

Also, Finebaum is to college football analysis as Jerry Springer is to news reporting. He's all about making money, and he knows how to cater to his listeners.

SOONER44EVER
10/9/2013, 10:29 PM
Agreed...like, for instance, answering questions about his defense on media days (as required by the Big 12). Of course, it doesn't sound like he's worried about it to me. I would say that a 5-0 record so far would indicate that he's focused where needs to be. Like I said before, the problem isn't with Bob, it's with guys like you and Sabanball (and ESPN) that are blowing this way out of proportion and making a big deal out of nothing. That's certainly your right, but it doesn't mean you're right.

No offense intended, just trying to get us all on the same page. Boomer Sooner brother.I'm not blowing anything out of proportion. I just saw the thread and jumped in.

Johnny Utah
10/13/2013, 01:42 PM
My issue with the loss to texas is with the offensive coaching/game plan or lack thereof. Additionally, I fully recognize that the OU was missing 2 key players. However, I didn't want to miss this opportunity to continue to fan the flames from this total clusterf**k of a loss.

In its 23-44 loss to Ole Miss, texas gained 320 total yards including 124 rushing yards. In its 36-20 win over OU, texas gained 449 total yards including 272 rushing yards.

SOONER44EVER
10/13/2013, 06:44 PM
My issue with the loss to texas is with the offensive coaching/game plan or lack thereof. Additionally, I fully recognize that the OU was missing 2 key players. However, I didn't want to miss this opportunity to continue to fan the flames from this total clusterf**k of a loss.

In its 23-44 loss to Ole Miss, texas gained 320 total yards including 124 rushing yards. In its 36-20 win over OU, texas gained 449 total yards including 272 rushing yards.
But those SEC defenses aren't any better than the ones in the Big 12. Bob said so. :)

Curly Bill
10/13/2013, 09:36 PM
Bob needs to get his own s**t straight and not worry about what the SEC is doing.

Go study what some of em are doing maybe???

Johnny Utah
10/13/2013, 09:42 PM
Bob needs to get his own s**t straight and not worry about what the SEC is doing.

Go study what some of em are doing maybe???

Seriously ... It's almost hard to believe that he was once a well respected DC in the SEC

Curly Bill
10/13/2013, 09:47 PM
Seriously ... It's almost hard to believe that he was once a well respected DC in the SEC

He got fat and happy. He won't admit that, because he'd lose his job if he did, and his defenders aren't gonna accept it, but it is what it is.

The only time we hear the refrain "Big Game Bob" now is in a mocking manner.

What's bad is people outside the program see it now, and recruits see it - if ya don't believe it check out how our recruiting has tailed off over the past few classes, and unless the upcoming class is stocked with "hidden gyms" it's looking UGLY!!

Johnny Utah
10/13/2013, 09:59 PM
He got fat and happy. He won't admit that, because he'd lose his job if he did, and his defenders aren't gonna accept it, but it is what it is.

The only time we hear the refrain "Big Game Bob" now is in a mocking manner.

What's bad is people outside the program see it now, and recruits see it - if ya don't believe it check out how our recruiting has tailed off over the past few classes, and unless the upcoming class is stocked with "hidden gyms" it's looking UGLY!!

Do you really think he'd lose his job? There seem to be way too many who fear a return to the pre Stoops era and I'm afraid he knows it. I agree with the tail off in recruiting particularly with linemen, linebackers and tight ends. As far as hidden gems, don't they generally appear come draft time after they've been severely underutilized while at OU?

Curly Bill
10/13/2013, 10:01 PM
Do you really think he'd lose his job? There seem to be way too many who fear a return to the pre Stoops era and I'm afraid he knows it. I agree with the tail off in recruiting particularly with linemen, linebackers and tight ends. As far as hidden gems, don't they generally appear come draft time after they've been severely underutilized while at OU?

I have no confidence we'd run off a coach who needs to go! And yeah, we have had some guys who the NFL seems to value more highly than we did, or we had em playing crazy-*** positions, but we're not the only teams that has done that.

Johnny Utah
10/13/2013, 10:15 PM
I have no confidence we'd run off a coach who needs to go! And yeah, we have had some guys who the NFL seems to value more highly than we did, or we had em playing crazy-*** positions, but we're not the only teams that has done that.

Yeah but don't most top programs try to maximize talent rather than hide it?

Curly Bill
10/13/2013, 10:28 PM
Yeah but don't most top programs try to maximize talent rather than hide it?

I'd say all programs try to do that. We just haven't been real great at doing that.

SOONER44EVER
10/13/2013, 11:26 PM
As far as hidden gems, don't they generally appear come draft time after they've been severely underutilized while at OU?Isn't that what we always made fun of Texas for doing? Bob Stoops is a good coach but nowhere like what he used to be.

Wishboned
1/3/2014, 07:25 PM

Bob had a long conversation on the field last night. And nothing good came of it...

for Alabama.

Soonerfossil
1/3/2014, 07:32 PM

Why? If he's right, why can't he express an opinion? Screw the SEC and their homers.

Breadburner
1/3/2014, 07:32 PM
Lot's of Crow to be munching on in this thread......!!!