PDA

View Full Version : Rank the Big XII teams

8timechamps
10/2/2013, 09:12 PM
Here's my "power" rankings through 4 weeks.

1. Oklahoma
2. Baylor
3. Texas Tech
4. TCU
5. West Virginia
6. Oklahoma State
7. Texas
8. Kansas State
9. Kansas
10. Iowa State

Let's hear 'em

EatLeadCommie
10/2/2013, 09:35 PM
Baylor (WVU game should tell us something, though I tend to think their win over OSU was a fluke)
OU
TT
OSU
TCU
UT
WVU
KSU
KU
ISU

edited to swap TT and TCU

8timechamps
10/2/2013, 09:41 PM
Baylor (WVU game should tell us something, though I tend to think their win over OSU was a fluke)
OU
TT
OSU
TCU
UT
WVU
KSU
KU
ISU

edited to swap TT and TCU

I couldn't bring myself to put the Bears over the Sooners, but I can't argue with that logic.

OU_Sooners75
10/2/2013, 09:47 PM
Power rankings or perception rankings?

If power:
OU
Baylor
Tech
TCU
WVU
OSU
Texas
KSU
ISU
KU

If perception:
Baylor
OU
Tech
TCU
Texas
WVU
OSU
KSU
ISU
KU

BoulderSooner79
10/2/2013, 10:03 PM

If power:
OU
Baylor
Tech
TCU
WVU
OSU
Texas
KSU
ISU
KU

If perception:
Baylor
OU
Tech
TCU
Texas
WVU
OSU
KSU
ISU
KU

I would think the opposite. Aren't most power rankings based on formulas using stats from all games? Baylor's stats are about as high as they can be lowered only by the power rankings of their opponents. OU's stats would be good for the last 2 games, but have to include all 4. OU's opponents ratings wouldn't be great either. Now perception would include history and image where OU would win by a mile.

OU_Sooners75
10/2/2013, 10:15 PM
You got to take into account opposition too.

Give OU Baylors scheduled they would look unbelievable too.

SoonerPride
10/2/2013, 10:39 PM
OU
Baylor
Tech
TCU
OSU
Texas
W Va
KSU
Iowa State
Kansas

8timechamps
10/2/2013, 10:51 PM

For this purpose, i'd define it as who you think belongs where, after the first 4 weeks. So, not where you think they'll finish, rather where you see them now.

8timechamps
10/2/2013, 10:52 PM
I would think the opposite. Aren't most power rankings based on formulas using stats from all games? Baylor's stats are about as high as they can be lowered only by the power rankings of their opponents. OU's stats would be good for the last 2 games, but have to include all 4. OU's opponents ratings wouldn't be great either. Now perception would include history and image where OU would win by a mile.

I didn't use any formula, but now you have my mental gears turning.

In the past, I've used formula's for recruiting rankings, and they've turned out decent. Maybe I should do a formula for power rankings.

TXBOOMER
10/2/2013, 10:55 PM
1. OU
The Rest

BoulderSooner79
10/3/2013, 12:43 AM

If you read my post, I included opponents rankings. OU's opponents are better than Baylors at this point, but not great. I think your list of power rankings is really your perception rankings.

SicEmBaylor
10/3/2013, 01:02 AM

Uh, you did have one of our opponents on your schedule and we scored more points in one quarter against them than you did the entire damned game with all of your starters (which we pulled at the half). They had one more TD on us than they did you, but that's it.

Just sayin'.

I would actually rank OU at #1 right now simply because of the opposition you played, but this game against WV is going to say a lot about that.

Boomer.....
10/3/2013, 07:40 AM
1) OU
2) Baylor
3) TT
4) WVU
5) OSU
6) TCU
7) Texas
8) KState
9) ISU
10) KU

thecrimsoncrusader
10/3/2013, 07:48 AM
Uh, you did have one of our opponents on your schedule and we scored more points in one quarter against them than you did the entire damned game with all of your starters (which we pulled at the half). They had one more TD on us than they did you, but that's it.

Just sayin'.

I would actually rank OU at #1 right now simply because of the opposition you played, but this game against WV is going to say a lot about that.

True, but Trevor Knight was the QB for the LA-Monroe game and in the very first game of the season for him, which completely disabled the Sooner offense. And I should point out that Trevor Knight was also the QB for the West Virginia game. OU is a completely different offense with Blake Bell. Defense and special teams is what's truly going to separate OU from Baylor.

Yeah, and while LA-Monroe only scored 7 more points on Baylor than OU, LA-Monroe had more yards against Baylor in the 1st half than LA-Monroe did the entire game against OU! LA-Monroe self-destructed in that game in the red-zone. There's a few teams in the Big 12 that would of had 35+ points in the 1st half alone against Baylor's defense based on that game.

Bryce Petty, Lache Seastrunk and Tevin Reese played in the first two possessions of the 3rd quarter, so that makes you a liar and a bad Baptist. Nice purchase of Cannon BTW!

Just sayin'.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/3/2013, 08:02 AM
1) OU (balanced offense, defense and special teams)
2) Baylor (explosive and balanced offense)
3) OSU (they have issues, but this is where I think they will finish. Walsh being their leading rusher isn't a good thing for them though)
4) TT (being extremely one-dimensional and having an vastly undersized defensive front will get them in trouble long term)
5) WVU (nice win over overrated OSU, but Trickett throws way too many prayers down field. Defense is improved.)
6) TCU (offense is benign and defense hasn't tackled as well as past Gary Patterson teams)
7) Texas (still think they're the same Texas that got whipped by BYU and Ole Miss as KSU has issues on both sides of the ball)
8) KState (major rebuilding year and it shows)
9) ISU (bad-a)
10) KU (bad-b)

achiro
10/3/2013, 08:57 AM
Tech has only played 2 games, can't believe some of you have them ranked so high. They will lose to Baylor, OU, OSU, and probably Texas.

Mac94
10/3/2013, 09:10 AM
Oklahoma
Baylor
Oklahoma St.
Texas Tech
TCU
Texas
W. Virginia
Kansas St.
Iowa St.
Kansas

stoopified
10/3/2013, 09:22 AM
1 Sooners
2-10 Who gives a rat's rear

texas bandman
10/3/2013, 09:37 AM
1 Sooners
2-10 Who gives a rat's rear

+1

Eielson
10/3/2013, 10:13 AM
1. Oklahoma
2. Baylor
3. OSU
4. Tech
5. TCU
6. Texas
7. K-State
8. WVU
9. Kansas
10. Iowa State

I'm really not content with this list at all. In all honesty, you could pretty much place 2-8 wherever you want. The Baylor/WVU game should clear a lot of things up, because those are the two hardest teams to judge. I think Briles is one of the best, if not the best, hire since Stoops, but it's hard to tell if Baylor has turned the corner yet. The Big XII is really weak this year.

8timechamps
10/3/2013, 12:20 PM
Tech has only played 2 games, can't believe some of you have them ranked so high. They will lose to Baylor, OU, OSU, and probably Texas.

Two reasons:

1. They've won 'em all (even with a horribly weak OOC schedule)

2. They beat TCU, a team a lot of "experts" predicted to be in the hunt for a conference title this year.

I don't think some of you guys realize just how bad Texas really is, and I think that's part of what the media has done. Year after year, being ranked in the preseason top 15, only to lay an egg. This is the worst team they've had since the 5-4 season. And it's not a heck of a lot better than that team.

8timechamps
10/3/2013, 12:22 PM
1. Oklahoma
2. Baylor
3. OSU
4. Tech
5. TCU
6. Texas
7. K-State
8. WVU
9. Kansas
10. Iowa State

I'm really not content with this list at all. In all honesty, you could pretty much place 2-8 wherever you want. The Baylor/WVU game should clear a lot of things up, because those are the two hardest teams to judge. I think Briles is one of the best, if not the best, hire since Stoops, but it's hard to tell if Baylor has turned the corner yet. The Big XII is really weak this year.

I'd say 3-10. I think Baylor is legit, and I'm not sure there is a true doormat this year in the conference. I could see ISU beating Texas, then losing to Kansas. There are really only two teams that look like contenders right now: OU & Baylor.

These will all be interesting to look at in a few weeks.

Eielson
10/3/2013, 01:41 PM
I'd say 3-10. I think Baylor is legit, and I'm not sure there is a true doormat this year in the conference. I could see ISU beating Texas, then losing to Kansas. There are really only two teams that look like contenders right now: OU & Baylor.

These will all be interesting to look at in a few weeks.

It's just really hard to judge them at this point. They could be anywhere from an at-large BCS contender, to a team hovering around the middle of the Big XII. I don't think there's anyway that Baylor would drop all the way to 8, nor is there anyway WVU would jump to 2, but none of the teams I put at 2-8 could go on the road against one another and be favored by more than a score. Even with the rough start of Snyder's crew, does anybody actually want to go to Manhattan? I think OSU is one of the safest picks for top 4 in the conference, and even they got beat on the road against #8.

OU_Sooners75
10/3/2013, 02:00 PM
People talking about power and how te last two looked good and the two looked meh...well Sagarin has OU #4 nationally, #1 in conference.

BoulderSooner79
10/3/2013, 02:41 PM
People talking about power and how te last two looked good and the two looked meh...well Sagarin has OU #4 nationally, #1 in conference.

And just doing a random search, I saw OU at #13 and #7 in other power rankings - depends on the formula. Some use an exponential decay to reduce the weight of less recent results (which makes sense to me). So why are you cherry picking one power ranking? Makes you look like a homer.

8timechamps
10/3/2013, 03:24 PM
It's just really hard to judge them at this point. They could be anywhere from an at-large BCS contender, to a team hovering around the middle of the Big XII. I don't think there's anyway that Baylor would drop all the way to 8, nor is there anyway WVU would jump to 2, but none of the teams I put at 2-8 could go on the road against one another and be favored by more than a score. Even with the rough start of Snyder's crew, does anybody actually want to go to Manhattan? I think OSU is one of the safest picks for top 4 in the conference, and even they got beat on the road against #8.

You're right, it's really hard to know with only 4 games to go off of, and we all remember how "hot" WVU was at this time last year, and how they finished.

SicEmBaylor
10/3/2013, 04:25 PM
1. OU
2. Baylor
3. Tech
4. OSU
5. TCU
6. Texas
7. WVU
8. Kansas State
9. Iowa State
10. Kansas

OU_Sooners75
10/3/2013, 04:39 PM

And just doing a random search, I saw OU at #13 and #7 in other power rankings - depends on the formula. Some use an exponential decay to reduce the weight of less recent results (which makes sense to me). So why are you cherry picking one power ranking? Makes you look like a homer.

I haven't looked at any others.

Kinda hard looking up all the data on your phone with limited time to do it.

Landthief 1972
10/4/2013, 12:34 PM
Looking at Baylor's schedule, you have to think it gives OU an edge on gameday. Baylor's schedule up to the OU game is: Wofford, Buffalo, Louisiana-Monroe, WV, K State, Iowa State, and Kansas. None of those team have or will challenge Baylor. OU will be their first real test, so who knows how they'll respond?

OU
Baylor
Tech
TCU
OSU
Kansas State
Texas
West Virginia
Iowa State
Kansas

TheUnnamedSooner
10/4/2013, 02:15 PM
OU
Baylor (Could be better than OU, but haven't played anyone of significance yet)
Tech
TCU
Texas
West Virginia (They beat osu and played OU close)
OSU
ISU
K State (because of who they lost to)
Kansas

cherokeebrewer
10/4/2013, 02:30 PM
1. OU
2. BU
3. Tech
4. TCU
5. OSU
6. TU
7. KSU
8. WVU
9. ISU
10. KU

Eielson
10/5/2013, 09:46 PM
1. Baylor/Oklahoma
3. Tech
4. TCU
5. OSU
6. Texas
7. K-State
8. WVU
9. Iowa State
10. Kansas

Here's my revised list after this week. Baylor's offense confirmed that it is for real. It's so far ahead of the rest of the Big XII it's not even funny, but we still don't know anything about the defense. Wofford got shut out by Gardner-Webb, it took Buffalo 5 OTs to score 25 against Stony Brook, UL-Monroe is averaging about 10 points per game if you exclude the Grambling State game, and WVU scored a combined 7 points against Maryland and Oklahoma. Baylor is legit, but we'll have to wait until they're truly tested (which might not be for another month if K-State doesn't do it) to see just how good they are. Due to their schedule thus far, I still have OU tied with them, but I listed Baylor first for a reason. I'm hoping for a big Baylor win next week, because I'm pretty sure they'll blow out ISU and KU. If that happens, they'll likely be top 5 when we play them, and if we are also undefeated, the winner will likely jump to top 2. The back end of Baylor's schedule is as loaded as it possibly could be, so I think they'll drop 2 of their last 5.

OSU was unimpressive again, and WVU got exposed, so I'm cooling off on them. That 2-8 category I had last week turned into 3-7 (removed Baylor and WVU), which really isn't that weird anymore. The conference is starting to make some sense to me right now. What I really want to see is OSU against TCU and Tech, and we'll get to see them play TCU next week. Baylor vs K-State is going to be the other game to watch.

kenth68
10/5/2013, 09:53 PM
1. OU
The Rest

this

Plexis22
10/5/2013, 09:58 PM
Baylor looks really good. That Thursday night game at their place has upset written all over it.

Eielson
10/5/2013, 10:02 PM
Baylor looks really good. That Thursday night game at their place has upset written all over it.

Upset? Who is the underdog?

olevetonahill
10/5/2013, 10:11 PM
I couldn't bring myself to put the Bears over the Sooners, but I can't argue with that logic.

Agree Bro but right now the thought of Playin them at their shack Makes Me want to Put a Chastity belt around myass

Eielson
10/5/2013, 10:53 PM
Agree Bro but right now the thought of Playin them at their shack Makes Me want to Put a Chastity belt around myass

I know it's a blowout, and they're probably not trying very hard, but Baylor has given up 42 points to WVU. That's more than they scored on OU, OSU, and Maryland combined. Maryland got beat 63-0 by FSU, and Maryland shut out WVU (37-0).

Wishboned
10/5/2013, 11:08 PM
If we're still undefeated by the Baylor game that will be Bob's first opportunity to pass Barry on the wins list.

olevetonahill
10/5/2013, 11:11 PM
I know it's a blowout, and they're probably not trying very hard, but Baylor has given up 42 points to WVU. That's more than they scored on OU, OSU, and Maryland combined. Maryland got beat 63-0 by FSU, and Maryland shut out WVU (37-0).

I know, I also know they havnt really faced a decent D yet, If we both undefeated when we Meet. Im still gonna Pick OU to win

SicEmBaylor
10/5/2013, 11:15 PM
Our first string defense only gave up 14 points before they were pulled. The rest of those points came against our 2nd/3rd string guys. Having said that, it shows that while we're very deep on offense -- we're very thin on defense. Definitely need to get deeper. #thatswhatshesaid

olevetonahill
10/5/2013, 11:22 PM
Two reasons:

1. They've won 'em all (even with a horribly weak OOC schedule)

2. They beat TCU, a team a lot of "experts" predicted to be in the hunt for a conference title this year.

I don't think some of you guys realize just how bad Texas really is, and I think that's part of what the media has done. Year after year, being ranked in the preseason top 15, only to lay an egg.
This is the worst team they've had since the 5-4 season. And it's not a heck of a lot better than that team.

But Bro Just a few short weeks ago Ole Yeller was sayin this was his BEST team in the last 3 years . Im still LMFAO over that

Eielson
10/5/2013, 11:36 PM
Our first string defense only gave up 14 points before they were pulled. The rest of those points came against our 2nd/3rd string guys. Having said that, it shows that while we're very deep on offense -- we're very thin on defense. Definitely need to get deeper. #thatswhatshesaid

I'm not reading too much into any of it. The offense has proven itself, but the defense hasn't done anything either way. It could be awful, it could be great, or it could be somewhere in between (most likely this one). We just really have no idea yet. Next week will shed more light.

Interesting thought...does anybody think Texas will go after Art Briles? Although most people credited Houston's success to Sumlin, I've always maintained it was more about Briles, and I figured he would turn around Baylor's program. I think that would be the best realistic move Texas could make (getting Stoops, Saban, Meyer, or Harbaugh wouldn't be reasonable). Another interesting thought...what if Texas offered Briles the job, but he turned them down to stay at Baylor? That would be hilarious.

SicEmBaylor
10/5/2013, 11:41 PM
Interesting thought...does anybody think Texas will go after Art Briles? Although most people credited Houston's success to Sumlin, I've always maintained it was more about Briles, and I figured he would turn around Baylor's program. I think that would be the best realistic move Texas could make (getting Stoops, Saban, Meyer, or Harbaugh wouldn't be reasonable). Another interesting thought...what if Texas offered Briles the job, but he turned them down to stay at Baylor? That would be hilarious.

Well, yes, virtually everyone on every Big XII message board has been talking about Briles going to UT for some time both the pro's, con's, and whether he'll be offered or even accept.

And, yes, Briles is the one who first turned around Houston and started taking to them bowls. He recruited Sumlin's players including Kolb and Keenum. RGIII was also originally committed to Houston under Briles.

Eielson
10/5/2013, 11:50 PM
Well, yes, virtually everyone on every Big XII message board has been talking about Briles going to UT for some time both the pro's, con's, and whether he'll be offered or even accept.

I guess that makes sense. I don't go on other message boards, so I haven't kept up very well. I've just heard a little about Saban.

mhackl
10/5/2013, 11:54 PM
1. Baylor
2. Oklahoma
3. Texas Tech
4. TCU
5. West Virginia
6. Oklahoma State
7. Texas
8. Kansas State
9. Kansas
10. Iowa State

picasso
10/6/2013, 11:11 AM
It's harder to build depth on defense if you're going hard on the offensive side.
See oSu. Something in Waco smells fishy to me.

SicEmBaylor
10/6/2013, 01:33 PM
It's harder to build depth on defense if you're going hard on the offensive side.
See oSu. Something in Waco smells fishy to me.

What, precisely, smells fishy to you?

thecrimsoncrusader
10/6/2013, 02:24 PM

The first string defense wasn't pulled. That was only the case on offense just as it has been all season.

SicEmBaylor
10/6/2013, 02:29 PM
The first string defense wasn't pulled. That was only the case on offense just as it has been all season.
Yes, it was. CAB even addressed it after the game saying he didn't care that we let so many points go in the second half -- he wanted the backups on defense to get more playing time.

And, FWIW, we pulled the starters in the other games as well at one point or another.

In any case, yes, they were pulled.

soonergirlNeugene
10/6/2013, 02:33 PM
1. Baylor
2. Oklahoma
3. Texas Tech
4. TCU
5. West Virginia
6. Oklahoma State
7. Texas
8. Kansas State
9. Kansas
10. Iowa State

Seems about right to me

8timechamps
10/6/2013, 09:07 PM
After this week:

1. Baylor
2. Oklahoma
3. Texas Tech
4. TCU
5. Oklahoma State
6. West Virginia
7. Texas
8. Kansas State
9. Kansas
10. Iowa State

I moved Baylor over OU because, well because they're just playing so damn good right now.

I didn't drop TCU from last week, because they'll win game with their defense alone...and I'm not sure there's anyone I ranked below them that can beat them.

I thought about moving ISU out of the cellar, but even though they lost a close game, it was to Texas, who may lose 6 games this year.

I'm still unsure about Tech, but until they lose, I'm keeping them at 3.

Even though WVU beat OSU, I put OSU ahead of them. I think they look slightly better right now.

okiewaker
10/6/2013, 09:16 PM
Briles to Tx please. Tired of the doormat bowing up.

SicEmBaylor
10/6/2013, 10:02 PM
Briles to Tx please. Tired of the doormat bowing up.
Nobody is entitled to jack **** season after season simply by virtue of what you have accomplished in previous seasons. And if you think you'd rather have Briles at Texas with all of the resources that Texas can muster then you're possibly insane although I'm no clinical psychologist.

yermom
10/6/2013, 10:08 PM
Briles to the Cowboys? :D

okiewaker
10/6/2013, 10:19 PM
Every conference had a doormat ,, Baylor is the big 12's. Ok,," briles to a legit program". Send Baylor back to where they belong!

SicEmBaylor
10/6/2013, 10:43 PM
We'll either continue to prosper or we won't. The day will certainly come when we once again have some lean-times, but that is true of every program both great and not so great. This sort of thing is cyclical, and we happen to be in the upswing. There will be a downswing -- it happens to everyone.

We were pretty salty in the old SWC. Not world beaters, but we had success and a decent program with a few great seasons. We were the 3rd best team in the conference which always amuses me when people suggest we shouldn't have been included but Tech (which was behind us) should have been. We were the better program....but I digress.

In any case, we certainly were a doormat for the overwhelming majority of our time in the Big XII. That's certainly not disputable. I don't know if you could sit in the stands week after week and watch Kevin Steele led abominations followed by GuyMo abominations...God help the poor bastards that also sat there week after week watching Roberts.

There were numerous reasons for this problem, but the top reasons are as follows:
1)Very poor athletic support from the Administration and BOR. Nobody gave a **** about putting the resources into athletics needed to win.
2)Very bad hiring practices which is a direct result of #1.
3)#1 and #2 resulted in horrible recruiting, horrible leadership, resulting in **** poor production what was one of the preeminent conferences in the country. Those three issues have been corrected. In order for us to fall into the state we were in, a lot of things would have to go very very wrong.

Like I said: We'll win some; we'll lose some. We'll have good years; we'll have bad years. At the end of the day, I've seen where we were and a university fully and absolutely committed to fixing the problem -- I have faith that the issue will largely stay fixed.

So are we destined to become the perennial bottom dweller of the conference some day? I'm fairly optimistic that won't happen.