PDA

View Full Version : Red October author Tom Clancey dead at 66

olevetonahill
10/2/2013, 10:07 AM
Wow This caught me by surprise.I think ive read Most all his Fiction books. RIP Tom
http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/02/us/tom-clancy-obit/index.html

C&CDean
10/2/2013, 01:18 PM
Well he sure as hell ain't no JK Rowling, but he was 'aight.

hawaii 5-0
10/2/2013, 01:22 PM
I loved his earlier stuff. Red October, Clear and present Danger, etc.

He really paid attention to detail.

5-0

olevetonahill
10/2/2013, 02:25 PM
Well he sure as hell ain't no JK Rowling, but he was 'aight.

http://www.olevetpossehideout.com/forums/images/smilies/Picard_Facepalm_by_LuckyHRE.gif

SicEmBaylor
10/2/2013, 02:56 PM
Read everything he wrote including a couple of his non-fiction works. I wasn't a huge fan of the Ryan Jr. works, but he was co-authoring those with a lesser talent. Anyway, still enjoyable.

Very sad he passed. Vince Flynn passed away not long ago as well. =(

ouwasp
10/2/2013, 05:14 PM
Used to love his books. Red Storm Rising reads like an Alternate History now, still good. The quality of the novels waned toward the end, imo. I think the last one I read all the way through was The Bear and the Dragon. I started the one with Jack Jr, didn't care for it.

Too bad he's gone. RIP, Mr. Clancy

OUmillenium
10/3/2013, 02:14 AM
I loved all the early books. Read Hunt for Red October my Senior year in HS before the movie came out. Hooked since. Haven't read any of the Jack Jr stuff. I stopped about 15 years ago when I was half way through Executive Orders. Funny thing, I just carried that book upstairs to my bookshelf 2 nights ago. Was hoping Without Remorse would get made into a movie. Sad that he won't see it if it does get made. He wasn't all that happy with some of the movies based on his books anyway.

8timechamps
10/3/2013, 12:53 PM
The Bear and the Dragon and Patriot Games were my favorite of his works, but I hadn't really read any of his stuff in a long time. He was only 66!

SicEmBaylor
10/3/2013, 03:49 PM
The Bear and the Dragon and Patriot Games were my favorite of his works, but I hadn't really read any of his stuff in a long time. He was only 66!

Completely agree about The Bear and the Dragon. It was a tome, but it went fast...soooo good.

KantoSooner
10/3/2013, 04:56 PM
If you like Clancy, be sure to dust off old LeCarre, like 'A Small Town In Germany' or 'The Looking Glass War'. No military, but dense, satisfying espionage by one of the finest pure writers of the last hundred years.

stoopified
10/5/2013, 05:57 AM
RIP Tom, you have achieved immortality,you works will be read for many years to come.

GDC
10/5/2013, 09:43 PM
If you like Clancy, be sure to dust off old LeCarre, like 'A Small Town In Germany' or 'The Looking Glass War'. No military, but dense, satisfying espionage by one of the finest pure writers of the last hundred years.

Good suggestion, his books are incredible.