PDA

View Full Version : How will this defense handle a mobile QB?

8timechamps
10/1/2013, 07:43 PM
Last year, during the midst of falling apart, the OU defense did an excellent job of containing Boykin. The downside was that we never really got him uncomfortable, and he was able to hit some big plays using his arm.

I don't think he'll be as comfortable in the pocket this year. Kolton Browning (ULM) is probably as close to a mobile QB as we've seen this year, and he did absolutely nothing. I'm not sure TCU is far superior to ULM along the front, but I do think Boykin is capable of stretching plays better than Browning.

Since Striker has been used mostly as a DE this year, I wonder if he'll be used more in containment this week?

BoulderSooner79
10/1/2013, 08:23 PM
Boykin will make some plays, but he is too inconsistent passing to really hurt us. TCU is struggling on offense in general right now and I think 20 points will be tough for them to attain.

The more interesting match-up (to me) is OUr offense against the TCU D. They haven't been as effective this year, but they run complex schemes that will test Bell's decision making in a new way. I don't see TCU giving up those free WR screens like ND did. Seems we were constantly in 2nd and short with ND's corners playing back. TCU will press more and challenge those throws. If Bell locks in, they will take a chance or 2 trying to jump those routes. We should be able to run effectively if Bell can compliment the run by finding the open guy by going through his normal progression.

8timechamps
10/1/2013, 08:50 PM
Boykin will make some plays, but he is too inconsistent passing to really hurt us. TCU is struggling on offense in general right now and I think 20 points will be tough for them to attain.

The more interesting match-up (to me) is OUr offense against the TCU D. They haven't been as effective this year, but they run complex schemes that will test Bell's decision making in a new way. I don't see TCU giving up those free WR screens like ND did. Seems we were constantly in 2nd and short with ND's corners playing back. TCU will press more and challenge those throws. If Bell locks in, they will take a chance or 2 trying to jump those routes. We should be able to run effectively if Bell can compliment the run by finding the open guy by going through his normal progression.

I agree, the OU offense/TCU defense will be "the" match-up. I was more curious about the first mobile QB the defense has seen, though.

But, since you brought it up, I think it's worth discussing in this thread.

Looking back, I have no idea why ND never made adjustments for the motion OU was using (on the RB screens). EVERY time we ran motion, we outnumbered ND on the edge. So, it was an easy 5, 6 or 7 yards. I also agree, TCU won't make that mistake.

I think we'll see much more emphasis on the run game though (think WVU type game plan). TCU is not healthy along the d-line, which will hurt them in this game. Bell has shown he is enough of a threat to pass, so it'll keep TCU from loading up against the run...and should open up some play action. I'm sure we'll see the screen game (just because it's viewed as a run by our coaches), but probably not on the same level as we saw against ND.

stoopified
10/1/2013, 09:03 PM
Should do well after all they face Bell and Knight in 1's vs. 1's practice and Thompson amd Cody Thomas when facing the 2's.

JiminyChristmas
10/1/2013, 10:10 PM
I believe the defense will still be in attack mode to force Boykin into quick decisions that I don't think he is capable of making all day without some mistakes. Sitting back in contain mode is not the personality of what Mike is trying to do this year. I don't think that changes this week.

I said in another thread that I think this game has shades of Iowa St and Seneca Wallace from a few years ago written all over it. I can't see TCU scoring double digits.

BoulderSooner79
10/1/2013, 10:51 PM
I believe the defense will still be in attack mode to force Boykin into quick decisions that I don't think he is capable of making all day without some mistakes. Sitting back in contain mode is not the personality of what Mike is trying to do this year. I don't think that changes this week.

I said in another thread that I think this game has shades of Iowa St and Seneca Wallace from a few years ago written all over it. I can't see TCU scoring double digits.

I think they will score double digits - they are resourceful that way. They may not all come from the offense. Tulsa and ND both got to 20 and they are struggling on offense too.

Breadburner
10/1/2013, 11:06 PM
We only beat our-selves.....

BoulderSooner79
10/1/2013, 11:14 PM
I agree, the OU offense/TCU defense will be "the" match-up. I was more curious about the first mobile QB the defense has seen, though.

Okay, if you are going to force me to stay on topic :) I like the match-up for our D. We did pretty well against him last year and I think we'll do better this time around. He's fast, but not elusive from the games I've seen. He doesn't seem to have that knack to pick the right lane or make the right cut to break big ones. We'll have plenty of speed on the field to spy him. I'm sure he'll make a few plays to escape pressure, move the sticks and frustrate us fans. I just don't see him making the big plays to win it. He did pick it up in the 2nd half last year and make a few really nice throws. And he came darn near tying the game. If you go watch the replay, that pass break up at the goal line by Julian Wilson was a great play. I didn't realize how accurate the pass was until they showed the replay. But their comeback was against an uninspired OU team last year, when the offense went to sleep. And they still only scored 17, right? I see us hitting 30 this year and making it really hard on them to keep up.

BoulderSooner79
10/1/2013, 11:16 PM
We only beat our-selves.....

Isn't that beating off?

70sooner
10/2/2013, 12:01 PM
pretty much....

cvsooner
10/2/2013, 12:19 PM
TCU scored 17 but 7 of it was an interception returned for TD. I think we'll have our hands full. I see a close and low-scoring game and lots of second-guessing as Bell doesn't pass as effectively against TCU. Hopefully run game and special teams will make the difference. Think something like the WVU game, but maybe without the turnovers.

Then all will be well when we crush Texas.

AZSOONER
10/2/2013, 12:40 PM
TCU scored 17 but 7 of it was an interception returned for TD. I think we'll have our hands full. I see a close and low-scoring game and lots of second-guessing as Bell doesn't pass as effectively against TCU. Hopefully run game and special teams will make the difference. Think something like the WVU game, but maybe without the turnovers.

Then all will be well when we crush Texas.

WVU game without the turnovers would have been a blowout.

LakeRat
10/2/2013, 12:56 PM
Last year, during the midst of falling apart, the OU defense did an excellent job of containing Boykin. The downside was that we never really got him uncomfortable, and he was able to hit some big plays using his arm.

I don't think he'll be as comfortable in the pocket this year. Kolton Browning (ULM) is probably as close to a mobile QB as we've seen this year, and he did absolutely nothing. I'm not sure TCU is far superior to ULM along the front, but I do think Boykin is capable of stretching plays better than Browning.

Since Striker has been used mostly as a DE this year, I wonder if he'll be used more in containment this week?

The second string qb for nd was mobile. That is why ND brought him in. The reason we went to the 3 man front, was to place more speed on the field to stop mobile qb's.

Striker was probably only blitzed 60% last week. Tough to call that mostly, when I would consider a de 95-100%.

Striker was in coverage quite a bit, and even on the pic by Wilson.

I think, we go to stopping it, with zone blitz and run him down in the back end. Containing Manziel didn't 't work, and the coaches know that now.

cherokeebrewer
10/2/2013, 01:05 PM
We have more team speed this year...so there's that.

8timechamps
10/2/2013, 01:13 PM
The second string qb for nd was mobile. That is why ND brought him in. The reason we went to the 3 man front, was to place more speed on the field to stop mobile qb's.

Striker was probably only blitzed 60% last week. Tough to call that mostly, when I would consider a de 95-100%.

Striker was in coverage quite a bit, and even on the pic by Wilson.

I think, we go to stopping it, with zone blitz and run him down in the back end. Containing Manziel didn't 't work, and the coaches know that now.

I wasn't referencing just the ND game (re: Striker). If you go back and watch all four games, you'll see what I mean. My point is that he's played more like a DE than a LB this year, by design.

Also, Boykin is no Manziel, and it helps that Mike has already seen him once (and did a really good job of stopping him). I am more curious about how they stop him. I honestly haven't paid enough attention this year, so I don't know how much zone we run. I know last year, it was very, very little. If we're running more zone, then I could definitely see some zone blitzing.

cvsooner
10/2/2013, 01:39 PM

I can't argue with that. Shows the importance of protecting the ball and playing mistake-free. I forgot Tech handled TCU 20-10 as well. They may not be as stout as I'm thinking when I look at them. Banged up pretty good...and seemingly not a lot of depth. This may wind up being easy. Guess we'll find out Saturday night.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/2/2013, 02:32 PM

Blake Bell starting the WVU game and it would have been a blow-out.

soonergirlNeugene
10/2/2013, 03:08 PM
Just read an article over on ESPN saying TCU's defense was better than ours. We shall see.

LakeRat
10/3/2013, 02:27 PM
I wasn't referencing just the ND game (re: Striker). If you go back and watch all four games, you'll see what I mean. My point is that he's played more like a DE than a LB this year, by design.

Also, Boykin is no Manziel, and it helps that Mike has already seen him once (and did a really good job of stopping him). I am more curious about how they stop him. I honestly haven't paid enough attention this year, so I don't know how much zone we run. I know last year, it was very, very little. If we're running more zone, then I could definitely see some zone blitzing.

Don't want to ever sound edgy with you. Your posts are extremely appreciated.

I think Striker comes and forces him out. With the our increased athleticism in the front 7(bc of the new scheme), I think we close on him faster than last year. I think, nelson, shannon and Wilson have big games as a result.

8timechamps
10/3/2013, 03:27 PM
Don't want to ever sound edgy with you. Your posts are extremely appreciated.

I think Striker comes and forces him out. With the our increased athleticism in the front 7(bc of the new scheme), I think we close on him faster than last year. I think, nelson, shannon and Wilson have big games as a result.

No, you're good. And likewise.

As for the speed this year, I think it was Mike that said we are faster at every single position on defense. Gotta like that!

cvsooner
10/3/2013, 04:43 PM
I'm thinking this is going to be something like 28-14 us...maybe 31-14. Somehow we'll fall for a big play and their D may gets points off a turnover or special teams but otherwise we'll be solid on D. We'll open them up with passing and then running game will take over.

BoulderSooner79
10/3/2013, 04:52 PM
I'm thinking this is going to be something like 28-14 us...maybe 31-14. Somehow we'll fall for a big play and their D may gets points off a turnover or special teams but otherwise we'll be solid on D. We'll open them up with passing and then running game will take over.

That seems reasonable. TCU is efficient as far as the points they score vs. total yardage. That is because of all the reasons you mention: defense, special teams and a couple big plays. It would be great to see our offense bust out with a big game though. Clean up just a few simple mistakes that were drive killers against ND, and we add 10 points.

OU_Sooners75
10/3/2013, 04:54 PM
I think it's all about the scheme.

The reason we have had a tough time against the run is because of scheme.

The scheme is a 3-3-5. Which is better suited for the majority of the offenses in the Big 12.

Last season we had 4 DL and 0 LBs on the field late in the season. The DL wasn't very strong and got zero pressure.

Also last year, even early, we had a tough time stopping the run game. UTEP rushed for over 200 against us. And we all thought it was a good performance.

So far this year we have shown vast improvement vs the run. And the pass defense has been very good.

There will always be a worry about what will happen down the road. But I'm optimistic that this defense will continue to play better as the season goes on.

We have a lot better LB play and the DB play has been solid. The DL play has also been improved because Phillips is able to get a push up front.

We didn't have that at all last year.

cvsooner
10/3/2013, 05:10 PM
Speaking of Phillips, what has happened to Quincy Russell? Everybody was wondering about him...I don't think he played at all vs. ND, and played sparingly against Tulsa. Just not up to snuff or..?