PDA

View Full Version : One Game at a Time

cherokeebrewer
10/1/2013, 02:12 PM
In 1999, Bob Stoops and his staff lifted the Sooners out of the John Blake hole of oblivion,, but I don't think many of us expected our run to the National Championship in 2000. We started out ranked around 20th in the AP poll. We rolled over UTEP, Arkansas State, Rice and KU, taking it one game at a time.

Then came the RRR and it started to happen. We put a whuppin' on the horns for the ages (63-14) and they still haven't tackled Q. That raised our hopes, elevated our expectations and slipped into our dreams in the night, but they were only dreams.

Then we were first tested @ KSU and won 41-31...helped in part by a 93 yard J. T. Thatcher kick return to the 2 yd line after the Wildcats had scored.

The Cornhuskers came to Norman 2 weeks later and we took them down 31-14. We crushed Baylor the following week 56-7. This Sooner team had learned how and what it took to win.

College Station Nov. 11th...Sooner magic seemed to rise from the grave of oblivion in the form of Torrance Marshall's pick 6 to seal the victory 35-31, followed by a hard fought win over the Red Raiders in Norman 27-13. Then we traveled up the road to Stillwater. Call it Sooner magic, blind luck or call it what you will, we beat the pokes 12-7 and were on our way to the conference championship game in Kansas City for a rematch with KState

It was Epic...Despite Josh Heupel uncharacteristically throwing 3 interceptions, with a great defensive effort and a blocked punt by Josh Norman, we beat them again 27-24...As it had done all year long, this team of rag tag players with a wobbly ball QB from a remote Junior College in the northland...refused to lose.

A few key plays along the way made the difference between winning & losing. Our players stepped up and made those plays when it counted. When their number was called, they performed.

Yes Sooner fans, these are the things dreams are made of, if you take it one game at a time...

SoonerKnight
10/1/2013, 02:17 PM
Too MUCH Brewing there Cherokee!!! LOL!!

BoulderSooner79
10/1/2013, 02:18 PM
Ratz. So much for my idea of a CFB twi-night doubleheader.

cherokeebrewer
10/1/2013, 02:33 PM
Too MUCH Brewing there Cherokee!!! LOL!!

It's the "drankin" not the brewing that brings you down. Three beers a night is all I'm allotted. Shucks, guess I've ruined everything now.

mojorisen2014
10/1/2013, 03:14 PM
Difference is the Big XII sucks now

Temujin
10/1/2013, 03:35 PM
In 1999, Bob Stoops and his staff lifted the Sooners out of the John Blake hole of oblivion,, but I don't think many of us expected our run to the National Championship in 2000. We started out ranked around 20th in the AP poll. We rolled over UTEP, Arkansas State, Rice and KU, taking it one game at a time.

Then came the RRR and it started to happen. We put a whuppin' on the horns for the ages (63-14) and they still haven't tackled Q. That raised our hopes, elevated our expectations and slipped into our dreams in the night, but they were only dreams.

Then we were first tested @ KSU and won 41-31...helped in part by a 93 yard J. T. Thatcher kick return to the 2 yd line after the Wildcats had scored.

The Cornhuskers came to Norman 2 weeks later and we took them down 31-14. We crushed Baylor the following week 56-7. This Sooner team had learned how and what it took to win.

College Station Nov. 11th...Sooner magic seemed to rise from the grave of oblivion in the form of Torrance Marshall's pick 6 to seal the victory 35-31, followed by a hard fought win over the Red Raiders in Norman 27-13. Then we traveled up the road to Stillwater. Call it Sooner magic, blind luck or call it what you will, we beat the pokes 12-7 and were on our way to the conference championship game in Kansas City for a rematch with KState

It was Epic...Despite Josh Heupel uncharacteristically throwing 3 interceptions, with a great defensive effort and a blocked punt by Josh Norman, we beat them again 27-24...As it had done all year long, this team of rag tag players with a wobbly ball QB from a remote Junior College in the northland...refused to lose.

A few key plays along the way made the difference between winning & losing. Our players stepped up and made those plays when it counted. When their number was called, they performed.

Yes Sooner fans, these are the things dreams are made of, if you take it one game at a time...

Two things:

1. That KSU game wasn't close. We were up 38-13 when Bob let off the gas (presumably because he was facing his mentor). Because of that, KSU made a mini-comeback. But the outcome was never in doubt. I also think that's why Stoops doesn't let off the gas anymore.

2. I'll let the coaches and players take it one game at a time. That's not my job. ;)

cherokeebrewer
10/1/2013, 03:47 PM
Two things:

1. That KSU game wasn't close. We were up 38-13 when Bob let off the gas (presumably because he was facing his mentor). Because of that, KSU made a mini-comeback. But the outcome was never in doubt. I also think that's why Stoops doesn't let off the gas anymore.

2. I'll let the coaches and players take it one game at a time. That's not my job. ;)

1. K-State's Jamie Rheem kicked a 38-yard field goal to slightly close the deficit to 21 points entering the final period, but the Wildcats were the #2 team in the country for a reason. The crowd came to life in the first five minutes of the fourth quarter when Beasley's 69-yard touchdown pass to Morgan was followed less than two minutes later by Terence Newman's 16-yard touchdown return of a blocked punt, making it 38-31 with 10:31 to play.

2. Yeah I get that, but I take 'em one game at a time.

8timechamps
10/1/2013, 04:01 PM
It's hard not to look ahead, especially after a big win. As fans, that's what we're supposed to do.

From what I'm hearing, the team is very focused on TCU this week, with no talk of Notre Dame. That's what they're supposed to do.

Salt City Sooner
10/1/2013, 04:03 PM
1. K-State's Jamie Rheem kicked a 38-yard field goal to slightly close the deficit to 21 points entering the final period, but the Wildcats were the #2 team in the country for a reason. The crowd came to life in the first five minutes of the fourth quarter when Beasley's 69-yard touchdown pass to Morgan was followed less than two minutes later by Terence Newman's 16-yard touchdown return of a blocked punt, making it 38-31 with 10:31 to play.

2. Yeah I get that, but I take 'em one game at a time.
KSU also got the ball back w/ a chance to tie it up after that ill-fated halfback option pass that Works threw for an interception.

cherokeebrewer
10/1/2013, 04:09 PM
It's hard not to look ahead, especially after a big win. As fans, that's what we're supposed to do.

From what I'm hearing, the team is very focused on TCU this week, with no talk of Notre Dame. That's what they're supposed to do.

Where is that written? Look, I get it. My little story is not well received...sorry

8timechamps
10/1/2013, 04:11 PM
Where is that written? Look, I get it. My little story is not well received...sorry

I think you misread my post, or I just didn't communicate it well. I'm saying, as fans, it's okay to look ahead. We're not the one's playing, so there is no reason we can't.

I appreciated your post. I just don't see any reason why we can't look ahead.

BoulderSooner79
10/1/2013, 04:25 PM

We're playing TCU this week!? Who knew. From reading this board, I thought we were doing a final practice before whipping the horns and then onto the BCS title game (after winning the verbal war with SEC bigots about where we should be ranked).

cherokeebrewer
10/1/2013, 04:38 PM
I think you misread my post, or I just didn't communicate it well. I'm saying, as fans, it's okay to look ahead. We're not the one's playing, so there is no reason we can't.

As fans, of course we can look ahead. I just choose not to do that...been disappointed too many times. This story is, in part, an answer to the "on the verge of greatness" thread, but more so about the magical run to the 2000 National Championship. This 2013 team shares a toughness & humble attitude with that team.

8timechamps
10/1/2013, 05:00 PM
As fans, of course we can look ahead. I just choose not to do that...been disappointed too many times. This story is, in part, an answer to the "on the verge of greatness" thread, but more so about the magical run to the 2000 National Championship. This 2013 team shares a toughness & humble attitude with that team.

We're on the same page.

8timechamps
10/1/2013, 05:01 PM
We're playing TCU this week!? Who knew. From reading this board, I thought we were doing a final practice before whipping the horns and then onto the BCS title game (after winning the verbal war with SEC bigots about where we should be ranked).

I've had a little more tolerance for post game posts, because it's the first time in many lives that OU has beaten ND.

But, I'm ready to start talking about TCU.

olevetonahill
10/1/2013, 05:17 PM
It's the "drankin" not the brewing that brings you down. Three beers a night is all I'm allotted. Shucks, guess I've ruined everything now.
Doc said no moren 3 for me also so I said OK

http://images1.vat19.com/5-for-1-beer-glass/large-beer-glass-holds-giant-beers.jpg

cherokeebrewer
10/1/2013, 05:20 PM
Doc said no moren 3 for me also so I said OK

http://images1.vat19.com/5-for-1-beer-glass/large-beer-glass-holds-giant-beers.jpg

Lol

I get that for sure

olevetonahill
10/1/2013, 05:20 PM

With Visions Of Crystal Dancing in our heads

mhackl
10/1/2013, 05:41 PM
From what I'm hearing, the team is very focused on TCU this week

Trap game looms ahead this weekend. You can't take Patterson for granted.

BoulderSooner79
10/1/2013, 05:48 PM
Trap game looms ahead this weekend. You can't take Patterson for granted.

If this becomes a trap game, it's 8times fault for letting us glow in the ND victory for too long. Can't fall asleep at the keyboard.

swardboy
10/1/2013, 05:51 PM
Man, I can't wait for the Tennessee series starting next year....

8timechamps
10/1/2013, 06:04 PM
Man, I can't wait for the Tennessee series starting next year....

Wait, you mean you're not looking forward to LSU in 2018?!

:friendly_wink:

8timechamps
10/1/2013, 06:05 PM
If this becomes a trap game, it's 8times fault for letting us glow in the ND victory for too long. Can't fall asleep at the keyboard.

Oh, I'm on watch...I'm just stealthy...like the NSA.

Therealsouthsider
10/1/2013, 10:42 PM
Oh, I'm on watch...I'm just stealthy...like the NSA.

...you said NSA, now all of your posts are being monitored...wait...crap!

ss