PDA

View Full Version : Unclogging Toilet help

colleyvillesooner
10/1/2013, 11:39 AM
Toilet flushes acts normal to about half way down then stops and starts filling the bowl. Slowly drains on it's own do to really low level. Tried plunging but no luck, and doing that didn't produce any remnants of toilet paper or anything really. not sure if kids put something in there or not. But it does drain when left alone.

I noticed the flapper drops after a few seconds, not draining the whole tank into the bowl, bu that could be the flapper setting (has a dial on it to adjust the flush i think) Not sure if the two are related.

What are the next steps on this? Never had a problem the plunger didn't fix.

olevetonahill
10/1/2013, 11:44 AM
Toilet flushes acts normal to about half way down then stops and starts filling the bowl. Slowly drains on it's own do to really low level. Tried plunging but no luck, and doing that didn't produce any remnants of toilet paper or anything really.
not sure if kids put something in there or not. But it does drain when left alone.

I noticed the flapper drops after a few seconds, not draining the whole tank into the bowl, bu that could be the flapper setting (has a dial on it to adjust the flush i think) Not sure if the two are related.

What are the next steps on this? Never had a problem the plunger didn't fix.

Bet on it if its jiust happeneing now and you havent doen anything to the Tank parts.

Go to HD,Lowes, Wally****inWeird or whereever and get ya a "Closet Auger" Maybe 20 bucks Im guessing

http://www.homerepairforum.com/forum/attachments/plumbing/460d1213059370-slow-draining-toilet-closet-auger-function.jpg

olevetonahill
10/1/2013, 11:48 AM
In case its something that the auger cant knock loose then I have had to take the Commode up and work from both sides to dislodge
Toys
Make up lids
socks
You name it
Aint Parenthood Great? :surprise:

colleyvillesooner
10/1/2013, 11:51 AM
ha yeah. I'm headed to walmart on my lunch to get one and will report back

Mjcpr
10/1/2013, 11:58 AM
I bet it is your wife's poop.

olevetonahill
10/1/2013, 12:07 PM
ha yeah. I'm headed to walmart on my lunch to get one and will report back

Look forward to it. These threads of yours are almost as Fun as Norms used to be.:friendly_wink:

olevetonahill
10/1/2013, 12:07 PM
Oh and while yer there Get a New Wax ring in case you have to take the Toilet up.

Jacie
10/1/2013, 01:11 PM
Then there is the catastrophic plugging agent . . . are there any trees growing alongside the house? Tree roots can mangle the pipe that goes to the street or septic tank without completely clogging it, leaving you with a slow drainer. Digging it up to lay a new pipe is the last resort if snaking doesn't work. If snaking through the bowl doesn't work, try going through the little pipe that sticks out of the roof.

colleyvillesooner
10/1/2013, 01:15 PM
Got the auger and it didn't work. It would go most of the way down but didn't pull anything out and with the bowl full didn't drain it. So not sure if there is nothing there or hits hitting a wall so to speak.

Weird thing was when I walked in, the water was down to the bottom of the bowl, I flushed it holding the handle down to make sure the tank emptied and it drained normally.

colleyvillesooner
10/1/2013, 01:17 PM
Then there is the catastrophic plugging agent . . . are there any trees growing alongside the house? Tree roots can mangle the pipe that goes to the street or septic tank without completely clogging it, leaving you with a slow drainer. Digging it up to lay a new pipe is the last resort if snaking doesn't work. If snaking through the bowl doesn't work, try going through the little pipe that sticks out of the roof.

No there are no trees anywhere hear this bathroom. It's by the backyard which is all pool and the otherwise is the living room and the garage.

I have read the pipe up there can get clogged as well.

colleyvillesooner
10/1/2013, 01:27 PM
This s the only auger they had at Wal-Mart:

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/1198/5sg6.jpg

It basically went in the length of the metal you can see there. (2-3 feet)

it did not go all the way up to the handle, but all of the metal that is spiraled was into the black tube.

colleyvillesooner
10/1/2013, 01:32 PM
wondering if i shouldn't try a better auger?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-3-ft-Toilet-Auger-59787/100061898#.UksUyFONfl8

the one in the picture was $5.97 at Walmart

8timechamps
10/1/2013, 01:35 PM
Well, my kid did a number on my terlet (the one in the master bathroom) over the weekend and it was acting the same way. I ended up having to get a new plunger. The old one I had was just the old school rubber plunger, and it wouldn't get the job done. I went to HD and got a cheap plastic one-piece, that looked like an accordion. It took some serious plunging, but finally cleared what ever was in there.

Seriously, I think my shoulder is sore from it. He needs to eat more fiber...or only do that at his mom's house.

8timechamps
10/1/2013, 01:37 PM
wondering if i shouldn't try a better auger?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-3-ft-Toilet-Auger-59787/100061898#.UksUyFONfl8

the one in the picture was $5.97 at Walmart

I bought one (with the cheap plunger), and it did absolutely nothing. I may have been using it wrong, but I crammed it as far as it would go, and it did nothing.

colleyvillesooner
10/1/2013, 01:40 PM
Well, my kid did a number on my terlet (the one in the master bathroom) over the weekend and it was acting the same way. I ended up having to get a new plunger. The old one I had was just the old school rubber plunger, and it wouldn't get the job done. I went to HD and got a cheap plastic one-piece, that looked like an accordion. It took some serious plunging, but finally cleared what ever was in there.

Seriously, I think my shoulder is sore from it. He needs to eat more fiber...or only do that at his mom's house.

Hmmm...i only have the small rubber one:

http://www.rsquaredcomicz.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/plunger.jpg

then the rubber one iwth the extra lip:

http://www.diy-plumbing-and-drain.com/images/flange_plunger.jpg

do you mean this one:

http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pACE-959859dt.jpg

colleyvillesooner
10/1/2013, 01:42 PM
So weird that i walked in flushed it held down the handle till the tank was empty and it flushed fine.

really trying to avoid taking the toilet off. scrapping off the wax ring is nasty.

olevetonahill
10/1/2013, 03:40 PM
So weird that i walked in flushed it held down the handle till the tank was empty and it flushed fine.

really trying to avoid taking the toilet off. scrapping off the wax ring is nasty.

Wait, Yer saying It flushes right as long as you Hold the handle down? Then yes its In yer flapper Never saw one with a Dial adjustment but It pretty much has to be it if it works Fine while you hold it down
Good luck

colleyvillesooner
10/1/2013, 03:56 PM
Wait, Yer saying It flushes right as long as you Hold the handle down? Then yes its In yer flapper Never saw one with a Dial adjustment but It pretty much has to be it if it works Fine while you hold it down
Good luck

Yeah, but after i did that, the bowl was say half full after shutting off, not totally empty like before, and it didn't flush, just filled the bowl all the way up.

if it was the flapper, is it shutting too quick?

olevetonahill
10/1/2013, 04:18 PM
Yeah, but after i did that, the bowl was say half full after shutting off, not totally empty like before, and it didn't flush, just filled the bowl all the way up.

if it was the flapper, is it shutting too quick?

Im not following you there. Are you saing that after you Held the handle down The bowl filled back up to 1/2 way AFTER flushing normal? If Thas the case then yes yer Flapper is not stayin open long enough to let sufficient water thru to Flush and fill properly.

8timechamps
10/1/2013, 04:21 PM
Hmmm...i only have the small rubber one:

then the rubber one iwth the extra lip:

do you mean this one:

http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pACE-959859dt.jpg

Yep, that's the one. I think it was $1.99 or something close.

olevetonahill
10/1/2013, 04:36 PM
Can ya get a Pic of the inside of the tank Before ya flush and then just as ya flush?

colleyvillesooner
10/1/2013, 04:41 PM
Can ya get a Pic of the inside of the tank Before ya flush and then just as ya flush?

I'll video the process and put it on youtube this evening.

colleyvillesooner
10/1/2013, 04:42 PM
Im not following you there. Are you saing that after you Held the handle down The bowl filled back up to 1/2 way AFTER flushing normal? If Thas the case then yes yer Flapper is not stayin open long enough to let sufficient water thru to Flush and fill properly.

yeah, the bowl filled back up to the normal level after the flush. I'll try and capture on video

olevetonahill
10/1/2013, 04:49 PM
yeah, the bowl filled back up to the normal level after the flush. I'll try and capture on video

Just about has to be the flapper then. How it got out of adjustment is a new one tho.

colleyvillesooner
10/1/2013, 05:19 PM
Just about has to be the flapper then. How it got out of adjustment is a new one tho.

Yeah, replaced the whole guts of the tank a year ago. We'll see what the video shows.

olevetonahill
10/1/2013, 05:23 PM
Yeah, replaced the whole guts of the tank a year ago. We'll see what the video shows.

:cocksure:

colleyvillesooner
10/1/2013, 06:00 PM
Can't shoot the video now, but forgot water was off, held down toilet handle and it flushed normal, but no new water entered the bowl since the water was off. Turned water back on. Let it fill to normal, held handle down when I flushed and it almost overflowed. Didn't have time to get the newer type plunger yet.

olevetonahill
10/1/2013, 06:09 PM
Can't shoot the video now, but forgot water was off, held down toilet handle and it flushed normal, but no new water entered the bowl since the water was off. Turned water back on. Let it fill to normal, held handle down when I flushed and it almost overflowed. Didn't have time to get the newer type plunger yet.

If its trying to Overflow then ya def. got a Blockage of some kind. Keep working that Auger in there It will break it loose Just keep twisting that crank and Pushing down on it .

Watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2-l7sZFHSg

colleyvillesooner
10/1/2013, 06:52 PM
Got a better auger at HD. tried to use it and it won't go down. If I really crank and push down, it starts to go down but the head of the auger comes back out the hole like it turned around in the toilet and came back out.

I am stumped. The accordion plumber didn't work either. Looks like I may be taking it apart tomorrow night.

olevetonahill
10/1/2013, 07:12 PM
Got a better auger at HD. tried to use it and it won't go down. If I really crank and push down, it starts to go down but the head of the auger comes back out the hole like it turned around in the toilet and came back out.

I am stumped. The accordion plumber didn't work either. Looks like I may be taking it apart tomorrow night.

Your Twisting the Crank as you push down right?
Sounds like you got to take it up if the Auger wont get it. Id keep tryin for a bit tho,

8timechamps
10/1/2013, 07:33 PM

I had the same problem with the auger I got (it's got a pistol grip).

Sorry I couldn't help. Why do toilets have to be like repairing a jet engine? It seems simple.

olevetonahill
10/1/2013, 07:41 PM
I had the same problem with the auger I got (it's got a pistol grip).

Sorry I couldn't help. Why do toilets have to be like repairing a jet engine? It seems simple.

Repairing a Jet engine is simple IF you know what yer doing :friendly_wink:

If the Auger wont get it Ya gonna have to take it up and reach in there and find the blockage and dig it out,
Have fun The good Prt is You have flushed it so many times now it be fairly clean.:surprise:

colleyvillesooner
10/1/2013, 10:12 PM
Got the auger to go all they way down and back but water level does still not drop. Did this a few times.

Guess we are onto the toilet removal stage? Or should I check the roof cent first. Doesn't really seam like clogged jets or anything like that since the water fills fine into the bowl.

Here is what it did the last time I flushed it. It started to swirl and go down then just stops and fills up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCdj49Wtxy8&sns=em

olevetonahill
10/1/2013, 11:45 PM
Got the auger to go all they way down and back but water level does still not drop. Did this a few times.

Guess we are onto the toilet removal stage? Or should I check the roof cent first. Doesn't really seam like clogged jets or anything like that since the water fills fine into the bowl.

Here is what it did the last time I flushed it. It started to swirl and go down then just stops and fills up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCdj49Wtxy8&sns=em

Is that the only fixture havinf a Prob? Then Yes Next step is the Vent . It appears to be trying to flush yet Not getting the air it needs to do so.

colleyvillesooner
10/2/2013, 07:35 AM
New issue. On the other side of the house, as far away as possible we have dual sinks. I went to shave and filled the sink wot hot water. When I let it out, some water backed up into the other sink. It was a dirtier color. Then they both drained after a minute of so. How do you tackle this one without the plumber? I understand the lines cross somewhere and from the sounds of it the plug is there or after.

olevetonahill
10/2/2013, 07:46 AM
New issue. On the other side of the house, as far away as possible we have dual sinks. I went to shave and filled the sink wot hot water. When I let it out, some water backed up into the other sink. It was a dirtier color. Then they both drained after a minute of so. How do you tackle this one without the plumber? I understand the lines cross somewhere and from the sounds of it the plug is there or after.

Are you on a Septic tank or city sewar?

colleyvillesooner
10/2/2013, 07:48 AM
City sewer. Those two sinks are not a new problem, I've draino'd them before and seem to fix it.

olevetonahill
10/2/2013, 07:53 AM
City sewer. Those two sinks are not a new problem, I've draino'd them before and seem to fix it.

Do you know if your house has a Clean out on the Out side? Most do But I cant remember how old you said your house was.

colleyvillesooner
10/2/2013, 08:08 AM
City sewerim. Those two sinks are not a new problem, I've draino'd them before andm seem to fix it.

Do you know if your house has a Clean out on the Out side? Most do But I cant remember how old you said your house was.

Built in 1979.

Are these the clean outs? Sorry if the pic is huge, on my phone and can't resize.

http://i.pgu.me/C43mdvsI_original.jpg

olevetonahill
10/2/2013, 08:16 AM
Appears to be, are any trees along the line that Roots could have gotten into the line some how?
I would do the Roof vents 1st to make sure they arnt clogged with leaves and crap then move to that Clean out and snake both ways. You can rent a Good snake fairly chead if you dont want to buy one .

Take the Cap off the clean out and have Mrs flush a commode somewhere and try to watch the flow thru the line If it flows Fast thru the clean out then its Moren likely the Vent or a blockage of some sort back towards the toilet .

Are you sure that Auger went all the way thru the commode?

colleyvillesooner
10/2/2013, 08:20 AM
Just bushes in the near vicinity of the clean outs. Only tree is in yard near the street and one on the far side of the house near the dual sink area.

The Auguer went all the way down with the two handles touching.

olevetonahill
10/2/2013, 08:25 AM
Gonna Bet on the Vent then But ya can do what i said and watch the cleanout if you want to be sure.

Take Pics LOL

colleyvillesooner
10/2/2013, 08:44 AM
Of what, me falling off the roof? What is the best tool to clean out those vents if something is way down there? I am assuming they are straight so a flashlight should do the trick to see down there.

olevetonahill
10/2/2013, 08:48 AM
Of what, me falling off the roof? What is the best tool to clean out those vents if something is way down there? I am assuming they are straight so a flashlight should do the trick to see down there.

Ive always used a snake, Dont use a flash light or anything else. if it gets loose and falls down in there yer ****ed with a Capital F

olevetonahill
10/2/2013, 08:49 AM
Oh and make sure the roof is dry. There was a heavy dew on this morning here.

colleyvillesooner
10/2/2013, 08:50 AM
What kind of snake? I've read to just try flushing it with the garden hose.

Edit Nevermind I kept reading

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/clean-plumbing-vent-pipes-20748.html

Something like this I assume.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraft-1-2-in-x-50-ft-Drain-Auger-BC30500/100534792

olevetonahill
10/2/2013, 09:00 AM
What kind of snake? I've read to just try flushing it with the garden hose.

Edit Nevermind I kept reading

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/clean-plumbing-vent-pipes-20748.html

Something like this I assume.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraft-1-2-in-x-50-ft-Drain-Auger-BC30500/100534792

I'd use a snake 1st. any 30 ft or snake will work. Guess Water would work but what if theres a Major clog and it fills the vent up then leaks out everywhere, I wouldnt .

olevetonahill
10/2/2013, 09:05 AM
The thing about gettin a Long snake is If the cleaning the vent dont werk fer ya ya can then use the same tool on the line thru the cleanout.

colleyvillesooner
10/2/2013, 09:17 AM
Yeah the one in the link was 50ft that long enough?

olevetonahill
10/2/2013, 09:18 AM
Yeah the one in the link was 50ft that long enough?

Links wouldnt open. but Yes it should be. how far do you think from the clean out to the Main sewer line?

colleyvillesooner
10/2/2013, 09:27 AM
I really don't know. The closest bathroom is probably 25 -30 feet away. Not sure where the main line is.

olevetonahill
10/2/2013, 09:55 AM
I really don't know. The closest bathroom is probably 25 -30 feet away. Not sure where the main line is.

Have you tried to look down thru the clean out yet? Yer prolly safe with the 50 footer . But If ya have to snake the Main line you may need a 100 footer. Which would prolly be to big to try to work with on a roof.

colleyvillesooner
10/2/2013, 10:01 AM
No, I just took that pic as I was headed out the door. Will have to try tonight if its still light out after I mow.

olevetonahill
10/2/2013, 10:12 AM
No, I just took that pic as I was headed out the door. Will have to try tonight if its still light out after I mow.

I think if ya just snake out the vents you should be good. Curse its hard to diagnose over a Key board LOL

colleyvillesooner
10/2/2013, 11:04 AM
I appreciate the help. I'll keep ya posted.

olevetonahill
10/2/2013, 11:33 AM
Cool, Be careful

colleyvillesooner
10/2/2013, 12:35 PM
Cool, Be careful

will do. luckily the pitch isn't very steep on our roof. think i should snake all of them while im up there?

colleyvillesooner
10/2/2013, 01:09 PM
Just remembered plumbing might be covered by my home warranty. if it is, i might just pay the $75 fee since I'm almost there after buying the snake and the auger and let them figure out the blockage in both the sinks and the toilet. We'll see what they say.

sheepdogs
10/2/2013, 01:21 PM
Remove the cap to the sewer line outside of the house. If water gushes out then the clog is between the access point and the city sewer line. If water does not gush out then the clog is between the access point and under your house.

colleyvillesooner
10/2/2013, 01:31 PM
i'm the only one home now so i flushed a working toilet and ran out there and water was going by at the bottom of the pipe. not sure if you meant gushes out the top of the pipe or through it when flushed.

colleyvillesooner
10/2/2013, 01:32 PM
Just remembered plumbing might be covered by my home warranty. if it is, i might just pay the $75 fee since I'm almost there after buying the snake and the auger and let them figure out the blockage in both the sinks and the toilet. We'll see what they say.

It is covered as long as there is a ground level access (which those pipes are). if they try to hit me with any "out of the contract fees" for clearing it I'll tell them to hit the road.

sheepdogs
10/2/2013, 01:41 PM
i'm the only one home now so i flushed a working toilet and ran out there and water was going by at the bottom of the pipe. not sure if you meant gushes out the top of the pipe or through it when flushed.

Gushes out of the top. If the water flow just passes through the sewer line w/o backing up then there is no blockage outside of the house. It appeard you had two caps to the access line. Some houses have two sewer lines rather than one and if this is so then you need to identify which access point is related to the problemed bathroom. If you have a tub in the problemed bathroom and ran water it should exit through the same path as the toilet.

olevetonahill
10/2/2013, 02:19 PM
It is covered as long as there is a ground level access (which those pipes are). if they try to hit me with any "out of the contract fees" for clearing it I'll tell them to hit the road.

Sounds Like ya got it then. But if ya already have the snakes for the vent , Why pay them?
Since you are only having the Prob in the One Toilet I doubt its in the O/S drain line.
I'd make a Bet its In the vent system.
If that dont get it Go ahead an give the 75 and drank a beer and watch em. LOL

colleyvillesooner
10/2/2013, 04:22 PM

Sounds Like ya got it then. But if ya already have the snakes for the vent , Why pay them?
Since you are only having the Prob in the One Toilet I doubt its in the O/S drain line.
I'd make a Bet its In the vent system.
If that dont get it Go ahead an give the 75 and drank a beer and watch em. LOL

I haven't bought the snake yet, and noticed the ladder I have won't reach the roof without standing on the top, which is bad. Only way I can get on is ladder to the top of the fence then on.

olevetonahill
10/2/2013, 05:30 PM
I haven't bought the snake yet, and noticed the ladder I have won't reach the roof without standing on the top, which is bad. Only way I can get on is ladder to the top of the fence then on.

Then Make sure they do it fer the 75 and drank a beer.

I'd have em do the vents and the mainline just to be sure LOL

8timechamps
10/2/2013, 11:07 PM
From the video, it acts like there is a clog somewhere. It doesn't seem to have a problem filling the bowl (in the video), it looks like the problem is re-filling (too much). I think you've done enough to prove the clog isn't in that toliet (or pipe leading from that toliet). How's the sink in that bathroom? Tub? If those are fine, then it's somewhere else.

My first action would be to verify all drains are draining normal (I know you said the sinks are not). Then I'd attempt to clear any others that aren't draining. If the toilet is still acting like that, it's somewhere in the piping below the house. At that point, I'd probably wave the white flag and call a roto rooter type company.

8timechamps
10/2/2013, 11:09 PM
Maybe draino all the sinks in the house (including tub, washing machine, basement drains). Then see how things look. Don't go trying to kill yourself if you don't have to.

colleyvillesooner
10/2/2013, 11:27 PM
We'll see how it goes on Friday with the plumber. Hopefully he finds it they cover it and we're good.

I give the chances of that happening at 40% though. ;)

colleyvillesooner
10/2/2013, 11:31 PM
From the video, it acts like there is a clog somewhere. It doesn't seem to have a problem filling the bowl (in the video), it looks like the problem is re-filling (too much). I think you've done enough to prove the clog isn't in that toliet (or pipe leading from that toliet). How's the sink in that bathroom? Tub? If those are fine, then it's somewhere else.

My first action would be to verify all drains are draining normal (I know you said the sinks are not). Then I'd attempt to clear any others that aren't draining. If the toilet is still acting like that, it's somewhere in the piping below the house. At that point, I'd probably wave the white flag and call a roto rooter type company.

No tub in that bathroom and that sink works fine. All tubs are good. Only sinks with issues are the two the farthest from that toilet. I have waved the white flag at this point mainly due to its only $75 to give them a shot at it.

olevetonahill
10/3/2013, 02:07 AM
No tub in that bathroom and that sink works fine. All tubs are good. Only sinks with issues are the two the farthest from that toilet. I have waved the white flag at this point mainly due to its only $75 to give them a shot at it.

Let us know. My money is on that vent for the commode.

8timechamps
10/3/2013, 12:56 PM

If you can get out for $75, that's definitely the way to go. It may be the way to go regardless of price. Sometimes it worth it to get your time back.

colleyvillesooner
10/4/2013, 02:59 PM
**Update**

Guy came out tried to auger it, no luck. Looked in the garage and there is a clean out right behind the toilet (hidden by my work bench). Couldn't get the cap off, probably hadn't been unscrewed since 1979. Cut it out with a sawszall and snaked it from there since they are not allowed to go on the roof. Pulled it back out and revealed....a wad of baby wipes, courtesy of my 2 year old. Problem solved.

The sinks he said he couldn't fix, but to get on the roof and I could do it said his snake from inside would just go straight across and not drop down the "T". I know some have lead ball ends that will drop down the hole but I didn't press it. I can do this!

olevetonahill
10/4/2013, 03:40 PM
**Update**

Guy came out tried to auger it, no luck. Looked in the garage and there is a clean out right behind the toilet (hidden by my work bench). Couldn't get the cap off, probably hadn't been unscrewed since 1979. Cut it out with a sawszall and snaked it from there since they are not allowed to go on the roof. Pulled it back out and revealed....a wad of baby wipes, courtesy of my 2 year old. Problem solved.

The sinks he said he couldn't fix, but to get on the roof and I could do it said his snake from inside would just go straight across and not drop down the "T". I know some have lead ball ends that will drop down the hole but I didn't press it. I can do this!

Great. Now clean that Vent LOL

stoops the eternal pimp
10/4/2013, 03:58 PM
If you need assistance clogging it back up, pm me.

colleyvillesooner
4/29/2014, 12:16 AM
**Update**

Great. Now clean that Vent LOL

**update**

Finally got the time and tools to unclog that a month or so back. Got up there worked the snake down and pulled out some super foul smelling blob. The smell came back up the pipe first and almost knocked me off the roof. But I was able to trim so tree branches over the house while I was up there. :D

Now go check out my new thread on clogged shower drains.