PDA

View Full Version : Rickey Williams 2013

Soonerwake
10/1/2013, 09:38 AM
I don't know if anyone else saw the special on Rickey Williams last night, but it was an interesting story. Apparently, he's off the weed, coaching at the University of the Incarnate Word, a small Catholic university in San Antonio (Div 1, FCS, Southland Conference). They interviewed him and he comes across as very intelligent, a little reserved, laid back... They talked about his intense fear of the media (he did an entire interview years ago indoors with his helmet on), his search to "find himself", etc..

I know he's a horn, and I have a hatred of everything Texas just like the rest of you, but it was nice to see that he is trying to get his life together. The athletic director from UIW even made the comment that if he gets caught using drugs then "he would be gone, just like the players". He's even living in the dorms.

The most interesting comment that I heard though was that he had to get 2 letters of recommendation. His letters came from Nick Saban and Mack Brown. He said both offered him a job and he turned them down, saying that he would rather work with kids "like him", "intelligent, committed to football".

SoonerStormchaser
10/1/2013, 10:06 AM
He said both offered him a job and he turned them down, saying that he would rather work with kids "like him", "intelligent".

Well there goes any chance of him working with Vince Young

bluedogok
10/1/2013, 11:53 PM
I always thought he had some sort of anxiety about dealing with the public and media. I can see him relishing that type of role, a behind the scenes role instead of something out front.

stoopified
10/2/2013, 06:35 AM
I almost this UNTIL that line about wanting to work with kids like himself,intelligent and committed to football. Not sure how Wacky Tobacy Williams could say that with a straight face.

C&CDean
10/2/2013, 09:31 AM
Ricky Williams is a confused and pathetic creature. While I hope he gets his **** together, I ain't real confident he ever will.

PalmBeachSooner
10/2/2013, 10:00 AM
That's pretty cool. My men's senior baseball league plays a lot of games at UIW.

agoo758
10/2/2013, 12:18 PM
Ricky Williams is a confused and pathetic creature. While I hope he gets his **** together, I ain't real confident he ever will.

He actually changed quite a bit when he returned to Miami.

cherokeebrewer
10/2/2013, 01:08 PM
Can't fault a guy for trying to do the right thing.

Scott D
10/3/2013, 04:47 AM

then you'd have been real surprised by that interview. They even were comparing it to the fact that when he was a younger player with his social anxiety issues, you'd be lucky to get 10 words out of him much less anything quotable, but that the interview they did for the piece could have gone on for hours.

I actually applaud his goal of his coaching plans. Someone who would rather coach at an Ivy League school than at bigger schools because of the student type is definitely someone who has put thought into it.