PDA

View Full Version : is Blake Bell the next...

OU_Sooners75
10/1/2013, 07:28 AM
Ken Dorsey?

Ken Dorsey wasn't the greatest of college football QBs, but he was a winner and great leader.

He wasn't a great runner, but could also improvise well.

Bell reminds me a lot of Ken Dorsey.

aurorasooner
10/1/2013, 07:47 AM
I sure hope that instead of going overseas next summer he goes to California instead, to that QB guru that a$m's Johnny Cash (and other QBs ) go to.
It seems like he's got it all to make it at the next level (especially the size to see over DL and the smarts to manage the game) except perhaps the footwork in the pocket, and that might be the problem with his accuracy, especially on his long ball. Working on his footwork next summer couldn't hurt his lateral running ability either.
If he does go in a funk such as TK did with his passing in the 1st couple of games, I wouldn't mind if they pulled him for a series or 2 to see if TK can spark the offense. TK may do all right from the bullpen since all the pressure of the starting QB role is now off him.

BigJerm7
10/1/2013, 07:50 AM
He has a better QBR than Johnny Foosball right now, and a better attitude. I'm not impressed with Manziel lobbing the ball downfield to his 6'8" wide receiver for a jump ball every time.

I say stick with Bell for now. Every QB is going to have a bad series or two, maybe even a bad half.

Breadburner
10/1/2013, 07:50 AM
Doesn't remind me of him at all......

aurorasooner
10/1/2013, 08:01 AM
I'm not impressed with Manziel lobbing the ball downfield to his 6'8" wide receiver for a jump ball every time.
I don't like Manziel as a person either. Actually, I think he's a d(*k and for the most part glad he's been their off-season problem.
However, I do disagree with your statement. If we had that six eight a$m WR, and he could go up and make plays like he does, I would be pizzed with our QB or OC, if he/they wouldn't give him a shot to go up and catch the lob ball. He is flat good.

jkjsooner
10/1/2013, 08:41 AM
However, I do disagree with your statement. If we had that six eight a$m WR, and he could go up and make plays like he does, I would be pizzed with our QB or OC, if he/they wouldn't give him a shot to go up and catch the lob ball. He is flat good.

I think the point was that the Manziel is just throwing the ball up for grabs and it's the receiver who is making the great plays. Those are not things he's going to get away with in the NFL.

EatLeadCommie
10/1/2013, 08:57 AM
Dorsey was a slow footed QB with a huge OL and good accuracy. Doesn't really remind me of him at all.

picasso
10/1/2013, 09:44 AM
I think Bell is a good runner myself.
He might be better suited at 250 than 260.

BigJerm7
10/1/2013, 10:10 AM
I think the point was that the Manziel is just throwing the ball up for grabs and it's the receiver who is making the great plays. Those are not things he's going to get away with in the NFL.

Yes. How many times did he just chuck the ball down field against Alabama and Arkansas? They were complete prayers. I could care less about the receiver, my opinion is of Manziel's accuracy, or lack of.

picasso
10/1/2013, 10:59 AM
Manziel can place it tight when he wants to.
You guys may be in denial of how good a passer he is.

SoonerKnight
10/1/2013, 02:15 PM
JM can suck it!!! He will flop in the NFL!! Another want to be has been!!

stoopified
10/1/2013, 02:57 PM
Manziel can place it tight when he wants to.
You guys may be in denial of how good a passer he is.johnny cash can get tight when he wants to,but what does that have to do with his passing ability? :)

picasso
10/1/2013, 03:28 PM
JM can suck it!!! He will flop in the NFL!! Another want to be has been!!
Maybe, but he's tearing it up in college. People can't even get a good square hit on him.
I hate him as much as anyone but he's pretty good.

BoulderSooner79
10/1/2013, 04:12 PM
Maybe, but he's tearing it up in college. People can't even get a good square hit on him.
I hate him as much as anyone but he's pretty good.

He could be another Russell Wilson type if he lands with the right team. Not sure he has an NFL arm though. And he'll have to outgrow the Lindsey Lohan, self-destructive train wreck behavior to last for very long.

BigJerm7
10/1/2013, 04:16 PM
He could be another Russell Wilson type if he lands with the right team. Not sure he has an NFL arm though.

This is all I'm saying. He's overrated as a passer. All he does is run around until someone gets open and he lobs the ball to them. It has nothing to do with hating him or not. I don't care either way.

OU_Sooners75
10/1/2013, 04:56 PM

Didnt ask if he reminded you of him.

Asked if he has that type of mentality as Dorsey had.

Winner, leadership, good decision making skills on the field, Eric .

Breadburner
10/1/2013, 05:49 PM

So he is just like most every qb thats a winner.....

aurorasooner
10/1/2013, 08:30 PM
As this thread was about BB/Ken Dorsey, I apologize that it was hijacked to a Johnny Cash discussion, that was not my intent.

However, since it has, those of you that think JFF is not a good QB are just nuts, and are letting your personal opinion of him as a person influence your opinion of him as a QB. He's a helluva of a QB, but off the field imo he's an immature jerk, and I personally wouldn't want him to win another Heisman or be on my CFB team.

IMO he obviously circumvented the CFB rules and made a large amount of money, and then lawyered up (along with his team), and dared the NCAA to do anything about it. The NCAA then folded.
Hopefully the NCAA will get some proof in the future after he's gone and hammer a$m, and the Heisman Committee will vacate his Heisman as they did to R. Bush.

I"m just glad that the whorns don't have him.

agoo758
10/1/2013, 10:24 PM
If you're going to write three paragraph post that's office topic. Don't apologize for it being an off-topic post.:surprise:

OU_Sooners75
10/1/2013, 10:53 PM

So he is just like most every qb thats a winner.....

I mentioned Ken Dorsey because he wasn't Heisman quality, but he holds the record for wins at Miami.

I don't see Bell as a Heisman type QB either.

But yes, I suppose your point is valid...lol

stoopified
10/2/2013, 06:18 AM
Well if we HAVE to stay on topic,hate to say it but best BB qb comparison is Tebow,Both are big,physical runners who are effective college passers who aren't sound tecnically . That said I think BB has better passing mechanics than Tebow and should improve even more with more PT.

swardboy
10/2/2013, 08:35 AM
I mentioned Ken Dorsey because he wasn't Heisman quality, but he holds the record for wins at Miami.

I don't see Bell as a Heisman type QB either.

But yes, I suppose your point is valid...lol

IMHO any OU quarterback who wins out is automatically Heisman material, especially in this offense.

Bell's failings are mechanical fixes that can be easily made with proper tutelage. I would be shocked beyond measure if Stoops and JH aren't schooling him on the floating long ball. Foot management will require more off-season work, but game experience will also produce more comfort, which in turn might calm the posture in the pocket. But his patience in the pocket is already extraordinary.

PalmBeachSooner
10/2/2013, 10:05 AM

Certainly, not physically, but maybe in competiveness and leadership.

dennis580
10/2/2013, 05:12 PM
Ken Dorsey?

Ken Dorsey wasn't the greatest of college football QBs, but he was a winner and great leader.

He wasn't a great runner, but could also improvise well.

Bell reminds me a lot of Ken Dorsey.

Ken Dorsey????????????? Is this serious. I don't know if you could have pick somebody who was more different from Bell.

I think the closest comparision for Blake Bell is Ben Roethlisberger

cvsooner
10/2/2013, 05:44 PM
I may be showing my age but he reminds me of the Roman Gabriel/Joe Kapp type QB from the '60s/70s.

swardboy
10/2/2013, 06:07 PM
I may be showing my age but he reminds me of the Roman Gabriel/Joe Kapp type QB from the '60s/70s.

Hey, I'm old enough to remember those dudes. Blake has the same "tough" qualities, but I don't think they come near to his mobility. I'd say he's more like a huge Fran Tarkenton!

cvsooner
10/2/2013, 07:13 PM
Bell is also a bit better passer than Kapp or Gabriel. Tarkenton...I don't think so. Tarkenton was more like Manziel without quite the speed...or the line. Tarkenton invented scrambling, and he had to, with the 'lookout' blocking line he had with the Vikings. (As in, miss your block, turn around and yell at the QB "look out!")

Mazeppa
10/2/2013, 08:54 PM
I don't think he's the next anybody, I think he's the first Blake Bell. (I refuse to play that game)

swardboy
10/2/2013, 09:21 PM
He is certainly the most unique OU quarterback we've had to date. Size + mobility + passing skills.