PDA

View Full Version : Deloss Dodds Stepping Down

Boomer.....
9/30/2013, 04:08 PM
The first domino has just fallen. No way Mack stays the head coach now.

http://newsok.com/report-texas-athletic-director-deloss-dodds-stepping-down/article/3888398

BoulderSooner79
9/30/2013, 04:09 PM

http://newsok.com/report-texas-athletic-director-deloss-dodds-stepping-down/article/3888398

This is a sad day in Soonerland.

8timechamps
9/30/2013, 04:10 PM
The beginning of the end.

Wonder how much pressure he was under today, since Haden pulled the trigger on Kiffin? He probably thought "I'll just announce it today, that way Mack can ride out the year".

cherokeebrewer
9/30/2013, 04:16 PM
Oh no, say it aint so...

soonergirlNeugene
9/30/2013, 04:19 PM
I wondered whether the Kiffin firing would light a fire under Texas. Figured they might panic that their top choice wouldn't be on the board by season's end.

bmjlr
9/30/2013, 04:53 PM

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

picasso
9/30/2013, 05:05 PM
No gurantee they hire someone better boys.

soonerboomer93
9/30/2013, 05:06 PM
I hear they're going to use Jerry Jones as a consultant...

8timechamps
9/30/2013, 06:27 PM

Exactly what I've been saying. In fact, the odds are they'll hit a couple of duds before landing someone really good.

hawaii 5-0
9/30/2013, 06:30 PM
He was probably given the option.

Fire Mack or else. He chose else.

A sad day for Sooners. Mack's days are numbered.

5-0

olevetonahill
9/30/2013, 06:33 PM

Could they Possibly get some one WORSE?

Im sad
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSoz7a5NGNefh7xdlHbPtEgYebXUJilj P7O4f2i5zmKBCMCd93O

olevetonahill
9/30/2013, 06:34 PM
Exactly what I've been saying. In fact, the odds are they'll hit a couple of duds before landing someone really good.

But dont you SEE? Shuckin Mack Now just moves up the Time frame that much Sooner.

Soonerfossil
9/30/2013, 06:38 PM
Yeah.........RIGHT!!!! I'll believe it when I see it.

VA Sooner
9/30/2013, 06:49 PM
Damn... now they'll get a coach who can coach.

Great going, Kiffin. Couldn't have had a slightly better game against AZ St Saturday night? Now the dominoes will fall...

Temujin
9/30/2013, 06:52 PM

I hear Kiffin's available.

aurorasooner
9/30/2013, 07:01 PM
So Delost announced his retirement today that won't become a reality until August of next year.
IMO, that's either a cop-out on his having to can Mack this year or if he does or if Mack bites the bullet and says adios and they hire their John Blake, then he won't be around to take the heat.
I do wonder what the whorn fans will say, if Mack does step down voluntarily this year and is named by Delost as the "AD in waiting".
The RRR is a lose/lose situation for us this year. Scald them again & Mack is 100% gone and the press chalks it up like they would on a beat down of a mid-major. Barely beat them and we get the press heat of "why we didn't beat them by half-a-hundred". I don't even think a whorn win, no matter how unlikely, will save Mack's job, so we might as well thump them again by a bunch and enjoy it while we can.
I do think that all this is setting up so Mack can announce to his players next week, that he's calling it quits, and they should "win one for the Gipper" in his last RRR. It's been shown in the past that you can throw out the records in this game (even John Blake won one) and emotion plays a huge factor in the outcome. If he does announce that to try and spur some last ditch inspiration to his players, then I'm for giving him the &*itburger in the form of another 65-13 or 63-14 departure gift.

Temujin
9/30/2013, 07:07 PM
So Delost announced his retirement today that won't become a reality until August of next year.
IMO, that's either a cop-out on his having to can Mack this year or if he does or if Mack bites the bullet and says adios and they hire their John Blake, then he won't be around to take the heat.
I do wonder what the whorn fans will say, if Mack does step down voluntarily this year and is named by Delost as the "AD in waiting".
The RRR is a lose/lose situation for us this year. Scald them again & Mack is 100% gone and the press chalks it up like they would on a beat down of a mid-major. Barely beat them and we get the press heat of "why we didn't beat them by half-a-hundred". I don't even think a whorn win, no matter how unlikely, will save Mack's job, so we might as well thump them again by a bunch and enjoy it while we can.
I do think that all this is setting up so Mack can announce to his players next week, that he's calling it quits, and they should "win one for the Gipper" in his last RRR. It's been shown in the past that you can throw out the records in this game (even John Blake won one) and emotion plays a huge factor in the outcome. If he does announce that to try and spur some last ditch inspiration to his players, then I'm for giving him the &*itburger in the form of another 65-13 or 63-14 departure gift.

I'm always for giving UT a beatdown, regardless of the consequences.

ashley
9/30/2013, 07:07 PM
Mack was gone anyway.

SoonerPride
9/30/2013, 07:20 PM
Like rats abandoning a sinking ship

aurorasooner
9/30/2013, 07:22 PM
I'm always for giving UT a beatdown, regardless of the consequences. Agree. A 77-0 type beat down skunking would be sweet.
I'll never forget that ABC announcer's comment when describing our D after one of our DEs simply destroyed the whorn QB in (I think) the '86 game. "They all run like a deer".
We've got to beat TCU first though. One game at a time.

yermom
9/30/2013, 07:29 PM
Mack to AD?

8timechamps
9/30/2013, 07:31 PM
But dont you SEE? Shuckin Mack Now just moves up the Time frame that much Sooner.

I think Mack was out at the end of the year anyway. This was just a way for Dodds to bow out (which was rumored to be soon too).

olevetonahill
9/30/2013, 07:48 PM
I think Mack was out at the end of the year anyway. This was just a way for Dodds to bow out (which was rumored to be soon too).

I agree, But Dayum it would be Nice fer em to keep him another year er 2. Just to Prolong the agony on them and The Joy here.

bluedogok
9/30/2013, 11:01 PM
Mack to AD?
Nope...they will go for a more business minded AD like a Castiglione, since the Texas Athletic Department is much more about business than athletics. He might be bumped up to the department as Assistant AD of Media Relations or some farcical title like that.

It still comes down to what Red McCombs and Joe Jamail (Mack's attorney) want, Dodds was only going to do what they said to do. Maybe they told him to retire.

Curly Bill
9/30/2013, 11:18 PM
I have every confidence that saxet will mess up both their AD and head football coach hires!

Piware
9/30/2013, 11:55 PM
Good luck to the new AD (not). I don't think DKR himself could fix this mess over the summer. Hope we recruit our brains out starting the day after the season is over!

yermom
10/1/2013, 07:17 AM
Nope...they will go for a more business minded AD like a Castiglione, since the Texas Athletic Department is much more about business than athletics. He might be bumped up to the department as Assistant AD of Media Relations or some farcical title like that.

It still comes down to what Red McCombs and Joe Jamail (Mack's attorney) want, Dodds was only going to do what they said to do. Maybe they told him to retire.

Hasn't that been the complaint about Mack the CEO?

aurorasooner
10/1/2013, 07:25 AM
Strange what Delost said only a couple weeks ago, then he officially announces his retirement yesterday albeit not until next August. I don't really GAS as long as the whorns don't come after JoeC with a large salary offer, but it wouldn't surprise me as they really don't GAS about the other conference member institutions or having a strong conference period as long as they get their ESPiN check for the LWhN.

"I love my job, I love the people I work with, and I love the University of Texas," Dodds said in a statement to media. "I have no immediate plans to retire, but when I do, we will let everyone know well in advance so that people do not have to speculate. Now let's go out and beat Ole Miss." It looks more like the big cigars laid down the law to him to fire Mack and he wouldn't do it, so they demanded his retirement before next FB season.

stoopified
10/1/2013, 07:26 AM
This is a sad day in Soonerland. :)

deweydw
10/1/2013, 09:20 AM

My co worker and whorn fan said this is why Mack will be AD next season. What Red and Joe want. Red and Joe get. But who will be hired as HC? Maybe Robinson will slip into that spot? And will Vince Young be brought in as an assistant?

yermom
10/1/2013, 09:57 AM
i don't care who the AD is, as long as they leave OU/Texas the **** alone

Herr Scholz
10/1/2013, 10:35 AM
Dodds had to announce this so we could go ahead and start looking for the new AD. The new guy has to be in place first to make all the big coaching changes that are coming. They have to be his guys. Those include Barnes and Augie too btw, not just Mack. The frontrunners for AD right now are Jack Swarbrick (ND) and Oliver Luck (WVU). Time for some new blood across the board. As far as USC affecting this, I don't think so. Doubt we're looking at the same people at all.

badger
10/1/2013, 10:38 AM
I know that UT would be a huge step up from West Virginia, but would Oliver really leave his alma mater, even for a job like Texas?

WV needs Oliver more than Oliver needs it, but WV really, REALLY needs someone as good as Oliver to make sure they stay solvent in a new conference in this new era of college football playoffs, reallignment threats and the like.

BoulderSooner79
10/1/2013, 10:43 AM
Dodds had to announce this so we could go ahead and start looking for the new AD. The new guy has to be in place first to make all the big coaching changes that are coming. They have to be his guys. Those include Barnes and Augie too btw, not just Mack. The frontrunners for AD right now are Jack Swarbrick (ND) and Oliver Luck (WVU). Time for some new blood across the board. As far as USC affecting this, I don't think so. Doubt we're looking at the same people at all.

Have to agree with this - I can't see how the Kiffin thing was a factor. Kiffin may have been terrible, but whatever coach took that job was bound to take the brunt of the Petey sanctions. Not even USC can survive with that many schollies lost. Hayden had his hand forced to act now; I'm sure he'd rather have waited until the season ended. The horn move looks much more strategic.

SoonerSeattle
10/1/2013, 10:52 AM
I know that UT would be a huge step up from West Virginia, but would Oliver really leave his alma mater, even for a job like Texas?

He also has a JD from UT, so that might be a factor as well.

badger
10/1/2013, 10:58 AM
He also has a JD from UT, so that might be a factor as well.

Unless you attended a crappy school for your undergraduate, it seems students become fans of their undergrad alma mater teams, rather than grad post-grad school teams.

I know that West Virginia sometimes loses their own talent (like Rich Roddy, heh heh) but would Oliver really leave em high and dry during only their second year in the Big 12?

Herr Scholz
10/1/2013, 11:34 AM
I think people will crawl over glass to get the UT AD job. Big money, great city to live in and control over the richest athletic dept in the country ($163M in revenue). I think you're discounting how much Austin blows away Morgantown or South Bend for a rich guy too.

I found this gif pretty funny although I hope Mack is treated with dignity on his way out.

http://randomlogic.tv/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/MacBrownFired.gif

olevetonahill
10/1/2013, 11:38 AM
Hey Herr , Is it true Yall gonna Hire VY as head coach?

badger
10/1/2013, 11:44 AM
I think people will crawl over glass to get the UT AD job. Big money, great city to live in and control over the richest athletic dept in the country ($163M in revenue). I think you're discounting how much Austin blows away Morgantown or South Bend for a rich guy too.

Well Herr, do you really want a glass crawler to be your next AD? Do you really want someone who values big money and a great city like Austin over loyalty to an alma mater and the program that gives you your big break to major college athletics?

If that's how UT's gonna portray itself, then I already know who Mack Brown's successor is going to be. Todd Graham.

Herr Scholz
10/1/2013, 11:46 AM
Hey Herr , Is it true Yall gonna Hire VY as head coach?

He'll be the "special" assistant to the AD.

Herr Scholz
10/1/2013, 12:07 PM
Well Herr, do you really want a glass crawler to be your next AD? Do you really want someone who values big money and a great city like Austin over loyalty to an alma mater and the program that gives you your big break to major college athletics?

If that's how UT's gonna portray itself, then I already know who Mack Brown's successor is going to be. Todd Graham.
I'm pretty sure we're going to get the best guy we can and I'm also pretty sure it will involve stealing that person from another program. Just how it goes. Haven't heard Graham's name mentioned. My only point is that it's a coveted job and many people would want it.

BTW, I'm all about Oliver as he was able to get beer sales approved at WVU games.

olevetonahill
10/1/2013, 12:15 PM
He'll be the "special" assistant to the AD.

:lemo:

Mazeppa
10/1/2013, 12:19 PM
He's stepping down but will he still be in control of the big 12 conference?

SoonerSeattle
10/1/2013, 12:27 PM
Unless you attended a crappy school for your undergraduate, it seems students become fans of their undergrad alma mater teams, rather than grad post-grad school teams.

I know that West Virginia sometimes loses their own talent (like Rich Roddy, heh heh) but would Oliver really leave em high and dry during only their second year in the Big 12?

I don't disagree with the undergrad vs. post-grad loyalties distinction. My graduate degree is from UW and I live in Seattle, but my undergraduate degree, financial support and allegiance all get traced back to OU.

That said, in terms of career opportunities and progression, the AD job at Texas is no doubt a big step up from the one at WVU. And while it won't be the deciding factor, Luck having a JD from UT vs. say, from Pepperdine, might come into play - he has some ties in Austin, though probably not as strong as the ones he has at WVU. If nothing else, it's a "nice-to-have" for the Texas folks recruiting him, and for Luck himself it likely goes in the plus column if he's making a pros/cons list.

Ultimately, though, I know next to nothing about Luck and his desire to build a legacy as AD at WVU rather than trying to do the same at Texas. In the age of Teh Interwebz, we'll know (or at least hear rumors) soon enough if there is mutual interest between Luck and Texas.

Jacie
10/1/2013, 12:59 PM
My only point is that it's a coveted job and many people would want it.

I am not disagreeing with this statement. Thing is, I read on boards such as hornfans.com that the UT job is the single most coveted HC job in all of college football. For the handful of men who have held that position it was true, and no doubt there are other coaches for whom the same can be said of them. But can you say it is true for Chris Petersen? He has repeatedly turned down offers to interview at other programs. What about Nick Saban? Urban Meyer? Bob Stoops? At least one guy coveted it so much, he ran off to take a job in Florida.

For that matter, what Division 1 HC job is NOT coveted by somebody? I don't think any D-1 programs suffer from a lack of candidates to interview every time there is an opening. Does not matter if it is the University of Texas or the University of Buffalo. They are ALL coveted.

Some pay more than others. Some locations are deemed better to live and work than others. Traditions, colors, conferences, schedules and expectations differ.

What makes one job attractive to one person might not make it so attractive to another.

I am not attacking you personally, just tired of that same old mantra about how there is no better job in college football than UT. Tell that to Mack Brown when he hears the boos from the orange bloods as he stands on the floor of the Cotton Bowl in couple of weeks.

8timechamps
10/1/2013, 01:19 PM
I am not disagreeing with this statement. Thing is, I read on boards such as hornfans.com that the UT job is the single most coveted HC job in all of college football. For the handful of men who have held that position it was true, and no doubt there are other coaches for whom the same can be said of them. But can you say it is true for Chris Petersen? He has repeatedly turned down offers to interview at other programs. What about Nick Saban? Urban Meyer? Bob Stoops? At least one guy coveted it so much, he ran off to take a job in Florida.

For that matter, what Division 1 HC job is NOT coveted by somebody? I don't think any D-1 programs suffer from a lack of candidates to interview every time there is an opening. Does not matter if it is the University of Texas or the University of Buffalo. They are ALL coveted.

Some pay more than others. Some locations are deemed better to live and work than others. Traditions, colors, conferences, schedules and expectations differ.

What makes one job attractive to one person might not make it so attractive to another.

I am not attacking you personally, just tired of that same old mantra about how there is no better job in college football than UT. Tell that to Mack Brown when he hears the boos from the orange bloods as he stands on the floor of the Cotton Bowl in couple of weeks.

I wouldn't say it's the "Single most coveted" job in the country, but I would agree that it is a top 5 job in the country. Those are two very different things. There are plenty of coaches out there that wouldn't leave their current job to go to UT.

Herr Scholz
10/1/2013, 04:01 PM
He's stepping down but will he still be in control of the big 12 conference?

Well, that's a given. Even after he dies.

Herr Scholz
10/1/2013, 04:04 PM
Well, I thought we were talking about the AD position. I was anyway. As far as HC goes, UT is a destination job but it's definitely not the only one. As I've said before, there are a lot of politics involved with that job that many coaches wouldn't want to deal with.