PDA

View Full Version : Clay

KantoSooner
9/30/2013, 01:36 PM
Anyone heard about Clay and any outcome from that head-to-head he took? I kept remembering back to his previous concussion and was worried about him.

Why on earth didn't the coachs take him out and put Ford in? It was time in the game for a wrecking ball, anyway.

cherokeebrewer
9/30/2013, 01:39 PM
He was ok and made some great clock-killing runs on that last drive.

Boomer.....
9/30/2013, 01:48 PM
Yeah, he came back in and look fine. Stoops said today that everyone is healthy.

swardboy
9/30/2013, 02:02 PM
That WAS an ugly looking hit. But in this day and age coaches aren't going to dare make a questionable call on putting a player back in. They better not.

KantoSooner
9/30/2013, 02:13 PM
I'd love it were that true. I just remember the last time he went down on a head-to-head and we didn't see him again for over a year. I'm not mad or second guessing, just concerned.

cherokeebrewer
9/30/2013, 02:17 PM
I'd love it were that true. I just remember the last time he went down on a head-to-head and we didn't see him again for over a year. I'm not mad or second guessing, just concerned.

In Bob Stoops presser this morning, he said everyone is healthy. So there's that...

KantoSooner
9/30/2013, 02:40 PM
I understand that, but Bob's been known to understate a player's injuries before. Oh well, time will tell. The idea of Ford, or Ross, trucking ND's backers was calling my name from about the beginning of the fourth quarter.

BoulderSooner79
9/30/2013, 02:43 PM
I was surprised he went back in so quickly too. I don't think it was planned, but Williams got dinged and had to go out a play or 2 and they sent Clay back in. I think it shows the trust they have in him to not blow an assignment at a critical stage of the game. Finch is too small to pass block reliably and is was clear that Ford wasn't going to see the field. They could have gone with Millard at tailback, but then they lose his blocking.

Have to hand it to that ND player - he has provided a training clip for referee school to demonstrate proper targeting technique. I'm so glad Clay is okay. I believe the fact he was hit in the facemask saved him from concussion. The facemask has a little give to it compared to the helmet shell.

KantoSooner
9/30/2013, 03:59 PM
Yup on the facemask. I know it would look ugly(er) but I'm in favor of a 3-4mm layer of impact gel on the outside of helmets. And maybe making them of polypropylene in a couple of pieces. Make sort of a 'mush helmet' to absorb impact.

BoulderSooner79
9/30/2013, 04:08 PM
Yup on the facemask. I know it would look ugly(er) but I'm in favor of a 3-4mm layer of impact gel on the outside of helmets. And maybe making them of polypropylene in a couple of pieces. Make sort of a 'mush helmet' to absorb impact.

Some teams had externally padded helmets a few years back. Amazing they can change the rules and add automatic ejections and such, but won't change the equipment because it might look dorky. Okay, I'm speculating, but that was the only concrete reason that was ever given for abandoning the mush helmets.

8timechamps
9/30/2013, 04:16 PM
Brennan was fine, he was checked out on the sideline and cleared to go back in...some of the field "performance" was a little bit of acting.

I don't know firsthand, but I wouldn't be surprised if the reason Ford didn't play was because the game was in question until very late in the 4th quarter. Ford is a diesel, but he's still a freshman, and I'm thinking Stoops wanted to limit any chance of a turnover/mistake. Not to mention the guys that were playing, were doing pretty well (minus the mistake by Williams in the redzone).

VA Sooner
9/30/2013, 06:55 PM
Clay was solid all game... big hit and all and right back in the game to eat up valuable clock time.

Love seeing the anguish on Brian Kelly's face as the clock clicked...