PDA

View Full Version : This OU team is on the verge of greatness

SoonerPride
9/29/2013, 10:08 PM
The previous two times a Stoops-led OU team faced Notre Dame we lost the game in the fourth quarter.

The coaching staff emphasized playing strong in the fourth quarter.

We clamped down defensively and ran clock by running the ball. We had a huge time of possession advantage mainly due to the 4th quarter.

If you recall in 1999 we had a 16 point lead but couldn't salt away the win because Mike Leach's offense couldn't or wouldn't run the ball. So hardly any clock would evaporate on our subsequent possessions. And last year we couldn't run the ball because we got manhandled in the trenches. So a nip and tuck game gets out of hand right at the end.

Not this time.

The team is capable of running the ball and running out the clock. We can pass. We have an aggressive defense. And finally our special teams are solid in all phases: punts, punt returns, field goals and kickoffs.

This team still needs to execute better on 3rd and short.

But that's about the only weakness from yesterday's performance.

This team is on the verge of doing something special.

Just you watch.

Therealsouthsider
9/29/2013, 10:30 PM
...we need to learn how to deliver a knockout punch in the redzone and quit settling for fieldgoals but the ceiling is high

ss

King Barry's Back
9/29/2013, 10:52 PM
As you know, we won the national championship in 1985. That year, we were expected to be good, but seemed a bit young and thin to run the table. In 86 and again in 87, we were loaded with veterans across the board, and EVERYBODY picked us to pick up another NC.

Following the 87 season, Switzer said, "You win those (NCs) when you don't expect it." He went on to say that the teams expecting to win have a tough time, it's always easier for the underdog. The long-term favorite carries a heavy load. He pointed to his NC in his second and third years as proof.

I think we all can agree that the same sentiment applies to 2000, when nobody saw that coming until at least Texas, and maybe explains why Bob Stoops' mostly favored teams haven't been able to win another.

In that regard, this year sure is interesting, and mirrors 2000 in terms of a low ranking and low expectations.

Blue
9/29/2013, 11:02 PM
That's interesting considering we had about 2 or 3 different 3 and outs spanning from 10 minutes to 6 minutes to go in the 4th. It was driving me nuts that we couldn't burn clock.

BoulderSooner79
9/29/2013, 11:30 PM
That's interesting considering we had about 2 or 3 different 3 and outs spanning from 10 minutes to 6 minutes to go in the 4th. It was driving me nuts that we couldn't burn clock.

We had something like 20 minutes TOP in the second half. ND is not a HS team.

Temujin
9/29/2013, 11:34 PM
As you know, we won the national championship in 1985. That year, we were expected to be good, but seemed a bit young and thin to run the table. In 86 and again in 87, we were loaded with veterans across the board, and EVERYBODY picked us to pick up another NC.

Following the 87 season, Switzer said, "You win those (NCs) when you don't expect it." He went on to say that the teams expecting to win have a tough time, it's always easier for the underdog. The long-term favorite carries a heavy load. He pointed to his NC in his second and third years as proof.

I think we all can agree that the same sentiment applies to 2000, when nobody saw that coming until at least Texas, and maybe explains why Bob Stoops' mostly favored teams haven't been able to win another.

In that regard, this year sure is interesting, and mirrors 2000 in terms of a low ranking and low expectations.

^^^

I was a little young to remember details about the 85 season (though I do remember some of the games). But I was just thinking earlier that this season reminds me of 2000. We were ranked in the low teens preseason (or was it #20), and had a beginning run that made it hard to gauge the true strength of the team. Then we had Red October. Notre Dame, TCU, and Texas is hardly the same as Texas, KSU, Nebraska, but it's still about the right point in the season. Then we had the late season test against A&M. Baylor fits that bill. In 99, breakdowns in the 2nd half on defense against Texas, Notre Dame, and Colorado cost us wins. Last year we had trouble in the 2nd half on defense during several games. We lost to an SEC team in the bowl game. Who knows, maybe we face Clemson (ACC) in the MNC? ;)

Blue
9/29/2013, 11:48 PM
We had something like 20 minutes TOP in the second half. ND is not a HS team.

Thanks to our D. That had nothing to do with my post, but thanks.

picasso
9/30/2013, 12:02 AM
Could be i teresting as next year we'll be loaded.

ouwasp
9/30/2013, 12:12 AM
hey, we're fans, and this is just idle internet chatter, so why not talk about MNC chances?

OU will need a lot of help from others losing to get into position, and at the same time become more of a beast. I mean OU should kick the snot out of avg teams and not let them hang around. This week will be a good indication if OU is special, or just good.

TCU is tucked between ND and Tx. Will the Sooners be looking back and/or looking fwd? A special team will destroy TCU... a good one generate a 13 point win... a dumbazz team would go to OT.

If the Sooners take care of business vs the tx teams over the next couple of weeks, doesn't overlook KU or stumble vs TT... then things could become very interesting. Heck, maybe even compelling if Baylor is still undefeated.

But, still, a lot is out of control of anything Sooner. The SEC must actually eat each other, for once. Media darlings from other markets (Ore, Ohio St) must lose. Plus, the clock is not likely to strike on Cinderella Louisville anytime this regular season.

If this were one of the 4-team playoff yrs, just maybe OU could make it. But it is not.

So I'm just gonna relax and enjoy the winning. And hope the D continues to play like men.

Temujin
9/30/2013, 12:56 AM
hey, we're fans, and this is just idle internet chatter, so why not talk about MNC chances?

OU will need a lot of help from others losing to get into position, and at the same time become more of a beast. I mean OU should kick the snot out of avg teams and not let them hang around. This week will be a good indication if OU is special, or just good.

TCU is tucked between ND and Tx. Will the Sooners be looking back and/or looking fwd? A special team will destroy TCU... a good one generate a 13 point win... a dumbazz team would go to OT.

If the Sooners take care of business vs the tx teams over the next couple of weeks, doesn't overlook KU or stumble vs TT... then things could become very interesting. Heck, maybe even compelling if Baylor is still undefeated.

But, still, a lot is out of control of anything Sooner. The SEC must actually eat each other, for once. Media darlings from other markets (Ore, Ohio St) must lose. Plus, the clock is not likely to strike on Cinderella Louisville anytime this regular season.

If this were one of the 4-team playoff yrs, just maybe OU could make it. But it is not.

So I'm just gonna relax and enjoy the winning. And hope the D continues to play like men.

I won't break down the whole schedule, but if we do win out, including on the road at Baylor, our schedule puts us past Louisville easily, even if they win out. I don't believe in Clemson or Florida State or Miami to go undefeated.

The only undefeated SEC team that poses a threat is Alabama. I think it's a strong possibility that they lose one game...they're just not as impressive as they were in previous years. So, that leaves whoever comes out of the Pac-12. If that conference is as deep as the rankings suggest, it's possible they all come out with a loss.

I think the biggest question we should be concerned with is - does a 1-loss P12 or 1-loss SEC team jump and undefeated OU team? I would hope that OU has enough national clout that it wouldn't happen, but it's entirely possible.

SoonerStormchaser
9/30/2013, 05:12 AM
This is the year where I think there will be at LEAST four undefeateds at the end of the year...and then chaos will ensue.

cherokeebrewer
9/30/2013, 06:23 AM
One game at a time and maybe try some Keith Ford occasionally on 3rd & short. I know, freshman and all, but still...

PLaw
9/30/2013, 06:46 AM
The old adage still holds true today: the best defense is a good offense. Most of the time, the other team isn't scoring when they don't have the ball. Hopefully, we are seeing the maturation of CJH.

Boomer

Sooner in Tampa
9/30/2013, 06:53 AM
This team has got improve in 3rd and short. That is my one and only complaint about the Domer game.

This is going to be a fun ride!!!

Jacie
9/30/2013, 07:54 AM
Pac 12 has a conference championship game, no way they have two unbeaten teams going into the bowl games.

SanJoaquinSooner
9/30/2013, 08:06 AM
Last year, Notre Dame had zero turnovers and only one penalty... and they won.

This year, we were the mistake-free team ... and we won.

olevetonahill
9/30/2013, 08:10 AM
Last year, Notre Dame had zero turnovers and only one penalty... and they won.

This year, we were the mistake-free team ... and we won.

So the moral of yer story is no te arruinas

rock on sooner
9/30/2013, 09:40 AM
One game at a time and maybe try some Keith Ford occasionally on 3rd & short. I know, freshman and all, but still...

Good point, given how hard he runs and hits!

badger
9/30/2013, 10:04 AM
I kind of was enjoying this lowered-expectation season.

Can't we all just hope that nobody gets severely injured and that we finish the season ranked and everything beyond that is a bonus? :D

picasso
9/30/2013, 10:21 AM
This is the year where I think there will be at LEAST four undefeateds at the end of the year...and then chaos will ensue.

People say that every year and it rarely happens.
Going undefeated in the days of parity is extremely difficult.

CincySooner
9/30/2013, 10:22 AM
Cart: Why hello, Mr. Horse, please go right ahead.

picasso
9/30/2013, 10:24 AM

I think DD runs as hard as anyone. Just stop running the obvious.
I'd kill to see a naked bootleg from under center.

BoulderSooner79
9/30/2013, 10:33 AM

People say that every year and it rarely happens.
Going undefeated in the days of parity is extremely difficult.

^This. In fact it never happens unless you count "BCS busters" that don't get serious consideration. 3 undefeateds only happened once, and in retrospect, didn't happen either (USC vacated their wins). But if by miracle this is the year of >2 undefeateds, their would be less chaos because the system is already changing, so no need to howl about scrapping the BCS. Done been scrapped. (There would still be plenty of whining, of course).

cherokeebrewer
9/30/2013, 11:07 AM
I think DD runs as hard as anyone. Just stop running the obvious.
I'd kill to see a naked bootleg from under center.

No doubt he's tough, runs hard and all, but there's just something different about Ford. Whatever it is, we need to mix it up more for sure.

Temujin
9/30/2013, 11:20 AM
No doubt he's tough, runs hard and all, but there's just something different about Ford. Whatever it is, we need to mix it up more for sure.

He keeps his feet under him - I know that doesn't make sense, but what it basically means is that he keeps his body under control and balanced over his feet so that he can drive through tackles. That gives him his extra power. But keep in mind, too, that we've only seen him run a few times. We don't know if he's able to do that all the time. So far, we know DD can do that fairly consistently.

picasso
9/30/2013, 11:22 AM

I agree but I think Williams is a fantastic receiver with deceptive speed.
I also have to give spek to Clay. He's been solid!

BigTip
9/30/2013, 11:35 AM
^This. In fact it never happens unless you count "BCS busters" that don't get serious consideration. 3 undefeateds only happened once, and in retrospect, didn't happen either (USC vacated their wins). But if by miracle this is the year of >2 undefeateds, their would be less chaos because the system is already changing, so no need to howl about scrapping the BCS. Done been scrapped. (There would still be plenty of whining, of course).

What a change the four team playoff format will make. Now we will go from hoping there are only two undefeateds to hoping there will be four. Won't that be cool?

BoulderSooner79
9/30/2013, 11:45 AM

What a change the four team playoff format will make. Now we will go from hoping there are only two undefeateds to hoping there will be four. Won't that be cool?

It won't change the odds of having multiple undefeated teams. Odds of having 4 will still be next to nil. I think the big change is that losses won't hurt nearly as bad as they have in the past. There will be more 2 loss champions. Just look at the NFL where we have had 9-7 wildcards win it all. The cries to go to 8 teams will begin immediately.

ouwasp
9/30/2013, 03:02 PM
Boulder- I've been in favor of an 8 team playoff for years, for many reasons. Even more so now, since I bet almost everyone expects two slots to go to the almighty SEC.

Badger- c'mon, girl, you need to have your Crimson Card checked. It is the birthright of Sooner fans to expect undefeated seasons and MNC opportunities. What you mentioned is fine fodder to look back on a season with. But now, almost October, still unbeaten and fresh off a defeat of hated Notre Dame for the first time in most of our lives!?! Hey, the Monster is alive and well... and HUNGRY. Only more wins will satiate the beast! Many more wins.

sooneron
9/30/2013, 03:16 PM
I like this team a lot and things are looking up.
My few gripes-
Quit the Dozer on third and short from under center.
The DL has to clog the holes better. The LBs need to tackle better in space.
Bell needs to make better decisions/throws. He got lucky a few times...

There won't be more than 2 undefeated teams this year.

badger
9/30/2013, 03:28 PM
Badger- c'mon, girl, you need to have your Crimson Card checked. It is the birthright of Sooner fans to expect undefeated seasons and MNC opportunities. What you mentioned is fine fodder to look back on a season with. But now, almost October, still unbeaten and fresh off a defeat of hated Notre Dame for the first time in most of our lives!?! Hey, the Monster is alive and well... and HUNGRY. Only more wins will satiate the beast! Many more wins.

Born in Wisconsin in the 80s when both the Packers and Badgers stank at football. If only I was 10 years younger, I could have been born during the decade of Rose Bowl wins, a Heisman, a Super Bowl and a three-time NFL MVP.

No wonder our student section is never full/leaves at halftime now. They were born in the mediocre Sooner 90s. Entitled brats, the lot of them :P

JiminyChristmas
9/30/2013, 03:38 PM
It all comes down to superstitious type stuff when it comes down to winning the NC. Unfortunately, we are still a couple of years away. Think about it, the last two QBs to lead the Sooners to a NC were:

1985: Jamelle Holieway

2000: Josh Heupel

And we have a highly rated QB signed right now:

Justice Hansen

Good as a done deal in a couple of years.

aurorasooner
9/30/2013, 04:28 PM
I hate to bring some reality into this thread, but after watching Georgia/LSU on a small moniter during the OU/ND game, and Bama/a$m a couple weeks ago, my "eye-test" sees that the Georgia/LSU/Bama or a$m offense would probably put up at least a minimum of 40 on us. That's no slap on our defense, but those other teams all look huge across their offensive/defensive fronts, can run the football, and have really good QBs that can throw the ball and thus a defense can't make them one dimensional by scheme.
I just don't think we're big enough or skilled enough in the trenches on both sides of the ball this year to beat them and we're not good enough on offense both on the field and from the booth yet to put up 40 or 50 on their defenses (except a$m) to beat them in a shootout. However imo we'd have to score over half-a-hundred to even keep up with a$m.
We definitely have the skilled players on both sides of the ball, but (as the King said) everyone has skill players now, the difference is the big-eaters up front.
I do like our progress so far this year on defense from last year, but we started out pretty good last year too, only to give up trackmeets in the 2nd half of the year.
One game at a time, then we'll have a chance to show how we've progressed in a BCS bowl game (if our coaches don't continue to take the end of the year holidays off).
We're possibly on the verge of greatness in the next couple of years depending on how we recruit quality linemen on both sides of the ball, continue our recruiting success and development of the skill players, and if we get better offensive play-calling from the booth.

C&CDean
9/30/2013, 05:06 PM
Tap the brakes. Enjoy the ride. Don't completely freak the **** out and be like blue when/if we lose.

TIA.

picasso
9/30/2013, 05:08 PM
I hate to bring some reality into this thread, but after watching Georgia/LSU on a small moniter during the OU/ND game, and Bama/a$m a couple weeks ago, my "eye-test" sees that the Georgia/LSU/Bama or a$m offense would probably put up at least a minimum of 40 on us. That's no slap on our defense, but those other teams all look huge across their offensive/defensive fronts, can run the football, and have really good QBs that can throw the ball and thus a defense can't make them one dimensional by scheme.
I just don't think we're big enough or skilled enough in the trenches on both sides of the ball this year to beat them and we're not good enough on offense both on the field and from the booth yet to put up 40 or 50 on their defenses (except a$m) to beat them in a shootout. However imo we'd have to score over half-a-hundred to even keep up with a$m.
We definitely have the skilled players on both sides of the ball, but (as the King said) everyone has skill players now, the difference is the big-eaters up front.
I do like our progress so far this year on defense from last year, but we started out pretty good last year too, only to give up trackmeets in the 2nd half of the year.
One game at a time, then we'll have a chance to show how we've progressed in a BCS bowl game (if our coaches don't continue to take the end of the year holidays off).
We're possibly on the verge of greatness in the next couple of years depending on how we recruit quality linemen on both sides of the ball, continue our recruiting success and development of the skill players, and if we get better offensive play-calling from the booth.
Yeah because Notre Dame was TINY up front.

BoulderSooner79
9/30/2013, 05:49 PM
I hate to bring some reality into this thread...

Reality will reveal itself in good time, grass hopper.

aurorasooner
9/30/2013, 05:53 PM
Yeah because Notre Dame was TINY up front.Mo Dampeer wasn't tiny, he just wasn't very good, except at dancing.
We'll get a good barometer reading on Notre Dame when they play ASU, I'm obviously rooting for ND in that one.
It'll be interesting to see which officiating crew shows up for that one, the PAC crew that blew the Wisky game or the Irish ones from our game last year. If it's a PAC crew, it'll also be interesting to see how many if any holding calls they call on ND.

cherokeebrewer
9/30/2013, 05:54 PM
One game at a time...That's it! Beat the horny toads...

BoulderSooner79
9/30/2013, 06:10 PM
This OU team is on the verge of playing TCU.

cherokeebrewer
9/30/2013, 06:13 PM

By jove, I think he's got it!

ouwasp
9/30/2013, 06:19 PM
Oh, I get what you guys are saying about OU's quality vs NFL lite (SEC), and before the season I promoted the "One Game At A Time" mantra. And it still makes the most sense. You'll just have to indulge some of us for getting almost giddy; last yrs D was so abysmal at the end... I almost lost hope.

Nice to have some positive vibes coming from Norman.

8timechamps
9/30/2013, 06:34 PM
Right now, I don't think we are a national title winning team. However, if we continue to improve from week-to-week, I think we could be by year's end.

Stoops made some major changes in the off season, and they are clearly paying dividends, but it's still only 4 games into a long season.

We are still very young and inexperienced, but that remedies itself with every passing week.

The #1 reason I think we can be dangerous this year is that we seem to be able to run the ball when it matters most. Against the two best defenses we've played (WVU & ND), we were able to run out the clock on the ground. That's a big deal.

I also have to wonder how we'd fare against a power running team (that has a QB talented enough to throw if needed). We kind of saw that in ND, but not quite on the same level of Bama.

picasso
9/30/2013, 06:49 PM
I'm not declaring this team a NC contender but let's not poo poo the win AT Notre Dame.
All I heard kast week was how we couldn't handle thwm in the trenches.

mainline13
9/30/2013, 07:01 PM
The old adage still holds true today: the best defense is a good offense. Most of the time, the other team isn't scoring when they don't have the ball. Hopefully, we are seeing the maturation of CJH.

Boomer

You must not be a Houston Texans fan. :friendly_wink:

birddog
9/30/2013, 07:16 PM
I'm not declaring this team a NC contender but let's not poo poo the win AT Notre Dame.
All I heard kast week was how we couldn't handle thwm in the trenches.

that was my concern for sure. I think it speaks volumes for the coaches game plan when we can contain a running team with an extremely thin, inexperienced d-line. our shut down corners allow for our front 7 to mix up coverages and blitzes that kept Tommy boy uncomfortable all day. now let's git us some horny toads

aurorasooner
9/30/2013, 08:24 PM
that was my concern for sure. I think it speaks volumes for the coaches game plan when we can contain a running team with an extremely thin, inexperienced d-line. our shut down corners allow for our front 7 to mix up coverages and blitzes that kept Tommy boy uncomfortable all day. now let's git us some horny toads I thoroughly enjoyed that NBC clip showing/explaining our line technique--- Ikard's cut block on Nix, then the the double team on Nix, then Millard smashing him. That was some quality OL coaching imo.
I didn't have any problem with their broadcast and had it set up to simulcast with SoonerSports radio if they became a ND homer broadcasting crew. I thought they kept it fair, and Mayock (sp-?) did a quality job. He can become a bit too football technical and picky at times, but I don't remember any Lou Holtz type far-out exaggerations from him. Their PbyP guy also did a good job w/o all the mush imo, but he also does a quality PbyP on the NBC golf broadcasts.
I haven't really watched ND much at all, and usually their games if on at all are on one of the secondary monitors with no volume. I watched a little of their game with Mich St but only because I knew we had a game coming up with them.

stoopified
9/30/2013, 08:50 PM
I may be thinking that we are on the verge of greatness,just not ready to say it out loud..........YET.

MyT Oklahoma
9/30/2013, 10:31 PM
It all comes down to superstitious type stuff when it comes down to winning the NC. Unfortunately, we are still a couple of years away. Think about it, the last two QBs to lead the Sooners to a NC were:

Justice Hansen

Don't forget Jimmy Harris ('55 and '56).

OU_Sooners75
9/30/2013, 11:03 PM
The previous two times a Stoops-led OU team faced Notre Dame we lost the game in the fourth quarter.

The coaching staff emphasized playing strong in the fourth quarter.

We clamped down defensively and ran clock by running the ball. We had a huge time of possession advantage mainly due to the 4th quarter.

If you recall in 1999 we had a 16 point lead but couldn't salt away the win because Mike Leach's offense couldn't or wouldn't run the ball. So hardly any clock would evaporate on our subsequent possessions. And last year we couldn't run the ball because we got manhandled in the trenches. So a nip and tuck game gets out of hand right at the end.

Not this time.

The team is capable of running the ball and running out the clock. We can pass. We have an aggressive defense. And finally our special teams are solid in all phases: punts, punt returns, field goals and kickoffs.

This team still needs to execute better on 3rd and short.

But that's about the only weakness from yesterday's performance.

This team is on the verge of doing something special.

Just you watch.

Second half OU had the ball for lore than 22 minutes.

JiminyChristmas
9/30/2013, 11:07 PM

Justice Hansen

Don't forget Jimmy Harris ('55 and '56).

Excellent point. I blew that one big time.

OU_Sooners75
9/30/2013, 11:08 PM
...we need to learn how to deliver a knockout punch in the redzone and quit settling for fieldgoals but the ceiling is high

ss

At least we can make field goals now inside the redone!

No offense will be perfect in the red one. Just too short of a field for the defense. So it levels the playing field.

That is why it's good to have a solid run game.

JiminyChristmas
9/30/2013, 11:35 PM

If ever you wanted to bet on the Sooners, I think this TCU game is the time to do it. The trap game talk won't be what plays out.

The Sooner D has been really good in the past when they can make a team one dimensional. Catalon is a good RB and Boykin has some mobility, but I see our front seven loading up to stop that and the secondary locking down the receivers.

This game has shades of Iowa State and Seneca Wallace from a few years back written all over it.

HateTheWhorns
10/1/2013, 09:20 AM
Excellent point. I blew that one big time.

You also left out Jeve Havis and Jaude Harnold. :wink:

BoulderSooner79
10/12/2013, 12:34 PM
Bump.

Too soon?

cvsooner
10/12/2013, 12:45 PM
Nope. Still a work in progress, clearly. Some weaknesses have been exposed and we don't have answers yet.

colleyvillesooner
10/12/2013, 01:51 PM
Wow. All time "getting ahead of yourself" thread.

BoulderSooner79
10/12/2013, 02:06 PM
Wow. All time "getting ahead of yourself" thread.

Yeah, I thought this thread was funny when it happened - just had to bump it.