PDA

View Full Version : Next Ghost to Vanquish

JiminyChristmas
9/29/2013, 10:05 PM
Now that ND has been avenged, which team would a win over be the most satisfying for Sooner fans (excl whorns)?

I would think it would be one of the following:

USC
Boise St
Florida
LSU
Oregon
Texas A&M

SoonerPride
9/29/2013, 10:09 PM
I say the next ghost to vanquish is in the national title game.

The one knock on Stoops (if you dare call it a knock) is that he has under-performed in the BCS title games.

Let's change that.

XingTheRubicon
9/29/2013, 10:14 PM
The next ghost to vanquish is to stop adding ghosts.

Therealsouthsider
9/29/2013, 10:27 PM
...I'll take Notre Dame eight more times for $400 Alex

ss

cvsooner
9/29/2013, 11:25 PM
Personally I'd like to have a crack at Boise State and USC both this season, since they're both down. :-)

picasso
9/30/2013, 12:00 AM
They have scoreboard on us but we own aTm.

Temujin
9/30/2013, 12:59 AM
Now that ND has been avenged, which team would a win over be the most satisfying for Sooner fans (excl whorns)?

I would think it would be one of the following:

USC
Boise St
Florida
LSU
Oregon
Texas A&M

Any team from the SEC in the national championship game would be fine with me.

SoonerStormchaser
9/30/2013, 05:10 AM
They have scoreboard on us but we own aTm.

They will NEVER have scoreboard on us because of this:
http://www.dominick.ws/photos/Fran%2077-0.jpg

thecrimsoncrusader
9/30/2013, 07:51 AM
They will NEVER have scoreboard on us because of this:
http://www.dominick.ws/photos/Fran%2077-0.jpg

OU has scoreboard on ATM at home and on the road. I think I can live with ATM's best team ever beating a middle of the pack OU team in the Cotton Bowl. Their best team ever and they still lose two games? That's one sorry football program.

SoonerMarkVA
9/30/2013, 08:03 AM

The one knock on Stoops (if you dare call it a knock) is that he has under-performed in the BCS title games.

Let's change that.

+eleventy-million

Jacie
9/30/2013, 08:09 AM
Can any of these happen this season?

Boise St. is a no-win situation for OU and any other team they play. No matter what happens, even a blow out win is not enough based on who they are (the little team that could).

USC is currently in the midst of being SUC. A win over them now would be satisfying but meaningless and is currently not possible.

A win over any of the remaining four would merit vanquish status.

By virtue of still being undefeated in conference play, Florida and Oregon are currently the two most likely to make it into the BCS, but 1-loss SEC teams have made it.

Non-BCS bowl matchups with any of these teams except USC are possible this season. Two vanquishes in one year would be nice, especially if one of them were for the national championship.

salth2o
9/30/2013, 08:11 AM
MNC game for me.

Boise can suck it.

Phil
9/30/2013, 12:21 PM
Nobody else will say this, but I want Cal. They have been on my **** list since I got spit on in Berkeley in 97.

ddub0224
9/30/2013, 12:28 PM
Anyone else have the Ghostbusters song in their head now?
Who ya gonna call...

Salt City Sooner
9/30/2013, 02:36 PM
BYU. Oh, & also, I know it's been 16 years since the last debacle, but Northwestern has TRIPLE scoreboard on us. Something about that just needs fixing.

sooneron
9/30/2013, 02:46 PM
scUM.

ouwasp
9/30/2013, 03:19 PM
don't know that I care about getting revenge on any of them... I just want #8... my hatred for Arkansas was white-hot for yrs after the '78 OB... wasted a lot of energy hating those pigs. Now I just like to hear about them and other irritants (Boise St, UM, USC, etc) losing, but I don't care much.

ALL I REALLY CARE ABOUT IS OU WINNING!! Now, when the season breaks down to no Sooner chance at a MNC, that's when I get a kick out of old nemeses losing.

JiminyChristmas
9/30/2013, 03:47 PM
I agree that revenge doesn't really matter and that winning against anybody for #8 would be the best, but it sure felt good to finally get over on the domers. I was just trying to think about it from that historical, thorn in the side, **** you off type loss to a certain team, is there another one out there that would be really satisfying.

I think I would go with LSU. Cost us a NC. Can't stand Les Miles. Would get the credibility of being against the mighty SEC.

BoulderSooner79
9/30/2013, 04:25 PM
The ghost of BCS bowls past.

Eielson
9/30/2013, 05:09 PM
I know we beat them pretty good when they came to Norman a few years ago, but I'd love a bowl game win over an undefeated Miami this year.

birddog
9/30/2013, 05:51 PM
lsu and its not even close. especially if Lester is there. thats very appealing to me

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/30/2013, 07:38 PM
Nobody else will say this, but I want Cal. They have been on my **** list since I got spit on in Berkeley in 97.the state of CA has a superiority complex over the Big 12 Flatlanders. In 2002, the local media in southern cal was badmouthing the Sooners being in the Rose Bowl, and not too long afterwards they went back to having only Big 10 and pac 150 teams in their Rose Bowl.

9/30/2013, 07:40 PM
BYU. Oh, & also, I know it's been 16 years since the last debacle, but Northwestern has TRIPLE scoreboard on us. Something about that just needs fixing.Some BYU fans I know here in PHX were FAR too giddy about beating us a couple or so yrs ago.

Piware
9/30/2013, 07:45 PM
I would really like to annihilate LSU and Lester the Molester. That let 'er rip comment is still a laugher but he is such a jerk.

picasso
9/30/2013, 07:48 PM
Californians use the term Okie in a very hateful way. Go East and folks don't use it.

stoopified
9/30/2013, 08:53 PM
. True dat but I would love to throttle LSU in a NCG or USC or FU or BSU or................

BigTip
9/30/2013, 09:25 PM
...I'll take Notre Dame eight more times for $400 Alex

Agreed.
Just reading the OP's question, without looking at the list of good choices, I really couldn't think of one.
I am still savoring this ND win. I am a superstitious gambler, I'll admit, and I was truly scared of some sort of karma against us in regards to ND. Sooooo glad to get over that. So glad.

CatfishSooner
9/30/2013, 09:44 PM
usc

sooneron
10/2/2013, 01:06 PM
In 2002, the local media in southern cal was badmouthing the Sooners being in the Rose Bowl, and not too long afterwards they went back to having only Big 10 and pac 150 teams in their Rose Bowl.

? Like TCU 3 years ago?

jkjsooner
10/2/2013, 01:39 PM
Years ago I'd say USC but they've fallen to mediocrity. Even longer ago I'd say Miami but they're still nowhere near what they used to be.

Now I'd say any SEC team in the national title game. Or, frankly, I'd love for any team to beat an SEC team in the national title game (including Oregon, USC, or Miami).

10/2/2013, 01:52 PM
? Like TCU 3 years ago?Point taken. Not sure, but I believe complication prevailed there, with the conference winner(Pac 150) Oregon Quacks playing for the BCS NC in Phx vs the Auburn War Eagle Plainsmen Tigers, for that 2010 season. TCU was still a mid major at the time, too.(at least as defined by me)

Salt City Sooner
10/2/2013, 02:48 PM
? Like TCU 3 years ago?
& the 'horns twice.

BoulderSooner79
10/2/2013, 03:39 PM
& the 'horns twice.

Twice? I just remember the one against Michigan.

BoulderSooner79
10/2/2013, 03:43 PM
Twice? I just remember the one against Michigan.

Nevermind. I forgot the BCS title game used to displace an existing bowl game. But that doesn't really count as the PacXX/B1G didn't have any say in the selection process.

10/2/2013, 04:50 PM
Years ago I'd say USC but they've fallen to mediocrity. Even longer ago I'd say Miami but they're still nowhere near what they used to be.

Now I'd say any SEC team in the national title game. Or, frankly, I'd love for any team to beat an SEC team in the national title game (including Oregon, USC, or Miami).USC has put a bigtime thump on the OU football program. They have killer scoreboard on us, almost as bad as domer did, ...and then...there's TGTWDND...YIKES!

10/2/2013, 04:52 PM
(Texas Cows) Twice? I just remember the one against Michigan.That was the year(2004) that PAC 150 conference champ usuc played in TGTWDND

BoulderSooner79
10/2/2013, 05:18 PM
That was the year(2004) that PAC 150 conference champ usuc played in TGTWDND

You didn't nevermind.

10/2/2013, 05:49 PM
You didn't nevermind.that's why those essoB's are next on my list of ghosts to vanquish.