5. Ohio St
6. Stanford
7. Oklahoma
8. Louisville
9. UCLA
10. Texas A&M

Ulmmmm........No Georgia? Really?

Yep, no Georgia.

Sorry, but every game but one they could of easily have lost as they won.

dennis580
9/29/2013, 04:45 PM
#1. Oregon
#2. Alabama
#3. Clemson
#4. Ohio St.
#5. Louisville
#6. Baylor
#7. Stanford
#8. FSU
#9. Georgia
#10. Oklahoma

okiewaker
9/29/2013, 04:45 PM

I would apply that to most teams throughout the course of a season.

OU_Sooners75
9/29/2013, 04:54 PM

I would apply that to most teams throughout the course of a season.

Yeah, and just cause Georgia started high and lost early doesn't mean they are better than any of those I listed in my top 10.

IMO Georgia is benefitting from a preseason poll. Nothing more.

When they did lose to Clemson, they only fell a few spots.

In the polls this year, there is an overwhelming SEC bias.

Even when their product is no better than what we see from any other conference thusfar.

okiewaker
9/29/2013, 05:10 PM
Even when their product is no better than what we see from any other conference thusfar.

Not rguing, just asking, if SEC product is no better than other conferences, why wouldn't you put OU 2, 3, or 4?

dennis580
9/29/2013, 05:15 PM
Yeah, and just cause Georgia started high and lost early doesn't mean they are better than any of those I listed in my top 10.

Georgia has played a absolutely insane schedule. 3 top 10 teams. Clemson, S. Carolina, and LSU.

Collier11
9/29/2013, 05:17 PM
Mine:

1. Oregon
2. Alabama
3. Clemson
4. Florida St
5. Ohio St
6. Stanford
7. Oklahoma
8. Louisville
9. UCLA
10. Texas A&M

We are not the #7 team in the country...sorry

Collier11
9/29/2013, 05:18 PM
Georgia has played a absolutely insane schedule. 3 top 10 teams. Clemson, S. Carolina, and LSU.

Georgia would beat us by 2 TDs

SoonerorLater
9/29/2013, 05:23 PM

I put Georgia in the top 10 (number 10) but they did lose to Clemson, beat a South Carolina team who really hasn't done anything other than be a member of the SEC. A South Carolina team that struggled with UCF even before they lost Shaw. They have a good win at home over LSU, thus the number 10 rating.

olevetonahill
9/29/2013, 05:24 PM

Agreed bro, But I do like the way we are developing

Collier11
9/29/2013, 05:25 PM
You realize that Clemson is a legit Top 10 team, SC is a Top 15 team and UCF is a team that many were talking about going to the BCS if they could upset SC. Remember how many ppl said Georgia was done after losing to Clemson? They have the best RB in the nation and one of the top 5-6 QBs

Collier11
9/29/2013, 05:26 PM
Agreed bro, But I do like the way we are developing

Def, we are ahead of where I thought we would be and we are really set up for next year and beyond. We could go 12-0 or 9-3 ...too many question marks still

SoonerorLater
9/29/2013, 05:27 PM

I don't think they would. On a neutral field tomorrow Georgia would be maybe a 6 point favorite and i would load up on OU to cover. Georgia is a capable team but they are nothing special and their defense has not been dominant against some very average offenses.

olevetonahill
9/29/2013, 05:30 PM
Def, we are ahead of where I thought we would be and we are really set up for next year and beyond. We could go 12-0 or 9-3 ...too many question marks still

But we still UNDEFEATED and in the Immortal words of the King
"I'm happier than a pig eatin Sh!t "

Collier11
9/29/2013, 05:47 PM
I don't think they would. On a neutral field tomorrow Georgia would be maybe a 6 point favorite and i would load up on OU to cover. Georgia is a capable team but they are nothing special and their defense has not been dominant against some very average offenses.

They have the best RB in the nation, he would run all over us as it stands now. And those offenses who aren't so great? Clemson and LSU have really good offenses. I don't care what the line would be, they would beat us 34-20 IMO, something like that

Collier11
9/29/2013, 05:49 PM
and SC is averaging 33ppg, so...they have played some good offenses. Clemson and LSU are both really good offenses

Collier11
9/29/2013, 05:50 PM
also keep in mind, we cant stop the run. And we haven't played one team that is a great running team yet

SoonerorLater
9/29/2013, 06:02 PM
and SC is averaging 33ppg, so...they have played some good offenses. Clemson and LSU are both really good offenses

Yes they are but as I said they did lose to Clemson because their defense just isn't very good, at best average. They are giving up 32.5 points per game. That kind of defensive play catches up with you eventually as most OU Fans are painfully aware.

Collier11
9/29/2013, 06:10 PM
It does...but LSU supposedly has a great D and they put up 40+ on them. I am afraid that Gurley would run for 200+ against us

okiewaker
9/29/2013, 06:11 PM
Fellas,,, I'm just not seeing Oregon that great. Yeah I put them in the top 10 b/c they are undefeated but, I'm not sold like some of the posters on here. Some on here got them #1,,,man I don't see it.

Collier11
9/29/2013, 06:23 PM
you may need glasses

SoonerorLater
9/29/2013, 06:27 PM
Fellas,,, I'm just not seeing Oregon that great. Yeah I put them in the top 10 b/c they are undefeated but, I'm not sold like some of the posters on here. Some on here got them #1,,,man I don't see it.

Oregon is good, very good. I would put their odds of making a BCS Championship appearance at about 50-50 against the field. IMO if they played Alabama on a neutral field next week they win the game. All Oregon has needed for the past few years is a decent defense. They now have one.

okiewaker
9/29/2013, 06:37 PM
you may need glasses

Maybe,,you put duckets on their greatness?

soonerhubs
9/29/2013, 07:16 PM
Oh, good grief! The irrational SEC hype has seeped in. Georgia is good, but to put them ahead of OU is nothing more than biased bull****. The same goes for LSU. Also, am I the only one that saw South Carolina struggle against UCF? If we're being objective, then records should mean something.

Jason White's Third Knee
9/29/2013, 07:41 PM
I can pick my favs and such, but we all know that this is all bull**** and that polls shouldn't come out until mid october.

It's utter horse**** to post arbitrary rankings at the beginning of the year. That's our system? Yup.

Then they used computers to level the bias and everyone freaked out. We can have the discussion, but no one should think that it's any more than guesswork... not to mention that the better team doesn't always win.

Zin
9/29/2013, 09:10 PM
1. Clemson
2. Oregon
3. Bama
4. Free Shoes
5. Stanford
6. Baylor
7. OU
8. Miami
9. Louisville
10. UCLA

Everyone else goes to the back of the line if they lose, SEC can as well.

OU_Sooners75
9/29/2013, 09:19 PM

How do we know they are legitimate Top 10 teams in LSU and South Carolina?

They were high ranked before a game was even played.

And watching those teams as much as possible doesn't show us too 10 teams.

SC had to come from behind to be a very bad Central Florida team.

LSU escaped agains TCU, a team not starting their best defender while Miles was so worried about it he allowed his team to vote on if they should suspend their best running back for that game. And they didn't suspend him for that game.

Neither of those teams have been playing as top 10 teams. And frankly neither has Georgia.

OU_Sooners75
9/29/2013, 09:21 PM
Mine:

1. Oregon
2. Alabama
3. Clemson
4. Florida St
5. Ohio St
6. Stanford
7. Oklahoma
8. Louisville
9. UCLA
10. Texas A&M

Being the Debbie downer you are, I am not surprised you think that.

We are not a NC team right now. But we are better than the media wants to say we are.

OU_Sooners75
9/29/2013, 09:22 PM

Why because they are SEC?

UGAs defense sucks. And take away Gurly, their offense isn't much better.

OU_Sooners75
9/29/2013, 09:27 PM
Face it, the SEC is getting a lot of bias in the polls, and that's the only reason teams like LSU and Georgia are currently top 10 teams.

SEC is a wide open race this year as no better than any conference this year either.

OU_Sooners75
9/29/2013, 09:29 PM

They have the best RB in the nation, he would run all over us as it stands now. And those offenses who aren't so great? Clemson and LSU have really good offenses. I don't care what the line would be, they would beat us 34-20 IMO, something like that

Maybe Georgia just has a sh*tty defense?

8timechamps
9/29/2013, 09:32 PM
How do we know they are legitimate Top 10 teams in LSU and South Carolina?

They were high ranked before a game was even played.

And watching those teams as much as possible doesn't show us too 10 teams.

SC had to come from behind to be a very bad Central Florida team.

LSU escaped agains TCU, a team not starting their best defender while Miles was so worried about it he allowed his team to vote on if they should suspend their best running back for that game. And they didn't suspend him for that game.

Neither of those teams have been playing as top 10 teams. And frankly neither has Georgia.

That's what I hate most about pre-season polls. They are all based on speculation, yet it actually effects the regular season ranking.

I think UGA is a top ten team, but not by much. Same with LSU, although I wouldn't put them in the top 10.

OU is good, but we're not a top 5 team by any means (yet). I'm not even sure we're a top 10 team, but it appears we are moving that direction.

Blue
9/29/2013, 09:39 PM
Clemson is a pretender. We all know that D is due for a let down in 3...2...1...

They beat an overrated UGA team at home, barely. They'll have atleast 2 or 3 L's. I mean they are Clemson...

8timechamps
9/29/2013, 09:43 PM
Clemson is a pretender. We all know that D is due for a let down in 3...2...1...

They beat an overrated UGA team at home, barely. They'll have atleast 2 or 3 L's. I mean they are Clemson...

Either FSU or Clemson is a pretender, we'll get to find out which one on Oct. 19.

Collier11
9/29/2013, 10:36 PM
Being the Debbie downer you are, I am not surprised you think that.

We are not a NC team right now. But we are better than the media wants to say we are.

that's funny, you say im a Debbie downer while others say I am a homer.

Collier11
9/29/2013, 10:37 PM
Why because they are SEC?

UGAs defense sucks. And take away Gurly, their offense isn't much better.

this is just silly

Collier11
9/29/2013, 10:38 PM
lsu is overrated, Georgia is overrated, Clemson is overrated, Oregon is overrated...well hell, its a good thing you all cleared that up. I guess that it will be us and Fresno St for the national title

Blue
9/29/2013, 10:59 PM
How many years have you watched college football? You should know its anyones ballgame and out there for the taking.

Collier11
9/29/2013, 11:07 PM
I realize that, it is still very early...but the conversation is about your current top 10 and at this very moment, we cant beat 7 of the top 10 IMO and Georgia/Clemson/Oregon have been 3 of the most impressive teams out there yet some cant seem to see that so...

BoulderSooner79
9/29/2013, 11:27 PM
Oh, good grief! The irrational SEC hype has seeped in. Georgia is good, but to put them ahead of OU is nothing more than biased bull****. The same goes for LSU. Also, am I the only one that saw South Carolina struggle against UCF? If we're being objective, then records should mean something.

I put UGA and LSU ahead of OU at this point and I don't buy SEC hype. I just watch the games. I don't see any super elite teams in the SEC this year, but maybe lower-level elite? They all real flaws in some area of their game. The most dangerous is 'Bama, of course. They have lots of young guys, but they are likely to be super elite by November. But if their offense doesn't come around, LSU or UGA can take them.

I think OU is a good team, but not elite. They are an easy team like this year and I see them improving as games go by. Could improve to be top 5 if everything goes well.

Temujin
9/30/2013, 01:13 AM

I don't agree with this. Their defense is atrocious. I think we would pull off enough stops to win, possibly by a decent margin. That doesn't mean that they're not a top 10 team. I just think we're a match-up nightmare for them.

Bourbon St Sooner
9/30/2013, 08:34 AM
It does...but LSU supposedly has a great D and they put up 40+ on them. I am afraid that Gurley would run for 200+ against us

lsu does not have a great defense this year. They couldn't even shut down Troy. Mettenberger is greatly improved or they would be very mediocre this year. The fact that lsu-uga was in the 40s was very predictable. Great offenses. Mediocre defenses.

thecrimsoncrusader
9/30/2013, 08:44 AM
I realize that, it is still very early...but the conversation is about your current top 10 and at this very moment, we cant beat 7 of the top 10 IMO and Georgia/Clemson/Oregon have been 3 of the most impressive teams out there yet some cant seem to see that so...

Clemson? OU would throw all over Clemson's line-backing corps and score in bunches.

thecrimsoncrusader
9/30/2013, 08:47 AM
also keep in mind, we cant stop the run. And we haven't played one team that is a great running team yet

OU can't stop the run? Are you basing that off of one game against Notre Dame? Or are you going to be foolish enough to reference last season, which was with different personnel and a different scheme?

thecrimsoncrusader
9/30/2013, 08:48 AM

TCU has one of the worst offenses in the Big 12 with or without Pachall and they put up 28 points on LSU. Scoring on LSU this year isn't an accomplishment.

jkjsooner
9/30/2013, 09:20 AM
Face it, the SEC is getting a lot of bias in the polls, and that's the only reason teams like LSU and Georgia are currently top 10 teams.

SEC is a wide open race this year as no better than any conference this year either.

Maybe no better than the PAC 12. Definitely head and shoulders better than this thing we call the Big 12.

Soonerjeepman
9/30/2013, 02:56 PM
My top 10

#1 OKLAHOMA SOONERS....

the rest who cares~

just had to do it, surprised no one has. BUT I will say we are 4-0 just like the rest...so who knows, we could end up there as well as anyone..

;-)

Collier11
9/30/2013, 07:32 PM
lsu does not have a great defense this year. They couldn't even shut down Troy. Mettenberger is greatly improved or they would be very mediocre this year. The fact that lsu-uga was in the 40s was very predictable. Great offenses. Mediocre defenses.

You are right, I shouldn't have called them a great D. But they can run the ball very well and that would be rough for us IMO

Clemson? OU would throw all over Clemson's line-backing corps and score in bunches.

I think Clemsons Offense would be a huge challenge for us, and our passing game still is a work in progress

OU can't stop the run? Are you basing that off of one game against Notre Dame? Or are you going to be foolish enough to reference last season, which was with different personnel and a different scheme?

ND is a horrible run team and they ran all over us. We have given up multiple big runs this year against good RBs, but nothing to the level of a Jeremy Hill, Todd Gurley, etc...we are improving for sure, but we have holes that haven't been filled yet

TCU has one of the worst offenses in the Big 12 with or without Pachall and they put up 28 points on LSU. Scoring on LSU this year isn't an accomplishment.

addressed above

I don't agree with this. Their defense is atrocious. I think we would pull off enough stops to win, possibly by a decent margin. That doesn't mean that they're not a top 10 team. I just think we're a match-up nightmare for them.

Georgia's offense is better than ours right now, Murray is better and more battle tested than Bell right now. Gurley is the best back in the nation. We have the chance to be really good and if we keep improving we could be a top 5 team by the end of the year. But as we stand today, we are not. The good news is that if we don't slip up between now and Baylor, there isn't a team in front of us that is better. We can build momentum and keep grown. My preseason prediction was 10-2 and until I see more I will stick with that. Remember, our D looks good so far for the most part but we haven't faced a multiple offense that can challenge us thru the air and on the ground. That is what I am worried about

8timechamps
9/30/2013, 07:44 PM
lsu is overrated, Georgia is overrated, Clemson is overrated, Oregon is overrated...well hell, its a good thing you all cleared that up. I guess that it will be us and Fresno St for the national title

LSU is always overrated. What has LSU done that makes them a top 10 team in your eyes? They do have a better offense this year (than maybe the past couple of years), but their defense is not what it has been. Same can be said for Georgia, although I think they are a top 10 team. If the Dawgs get their defense figured out, they should run the table to the SEC championship game.

As for LSU, they beat TCU (who was without their best defensive lineman) by 10. The same margin that Tech beat TCU. They beat Auburn (who is definitely improved from last year), and they lost a close one to UGA (but gave up 44 points). I think they're a top 15 team, but on a neutral field, OU beats them.

Collier11
9/30/2013, 08:15 PM
we all know that comparing matchups never works. Like Les Miles or not, he almost always has a good team. They will win 9-10 this year just like most years. Also, despite giving up a ton of pts, they went toe to toe with a very good Georgia team on the road. Their 3 pt loss at Georgia says more than a 14 pt win at ND

soonerhubs
9/30/2013, 08:17 PM
we all know that comparing matchups never works. Like Les Miles or not, he almost always has a good team. They will win 9-10 this year just like most years. Also, despite giving up a ton of pts, they went toe to toe with a very good Georgia team on the road. Their 3 pt loss at Georgia says more than a 14 pt win at ND

Good night! Put the SEC kool-aid down for a minute.

soonerhubs
9/30/2013, 08:21 PM
Comparing matchups doesn't work, unless it supports a certain poster's argument. Got it.

Collier11
9/30/2013, 08:58 PM
That went straight over your head...let me try this again for you. If we play team A and beat them by 10 and Georgia (for arguments sake) plays the same team A and beats them by 40, that says nothing about how we would match up head to head. Saying that LSUs loss is more impressive than our win is not the same theory.

As for the SEC koolaid, they have won 7 straight national titles. Until it is proven otherwise, they have the best teams in the country. If I remember, the last time we played an SEC team we got our asses kicked. Some of you need to take your OU shades off. We all love our Sooners but until we prove otherwise, this is not a championship caliber team

soonerhubs
9/30/2013, 09:12 PM
That went straight over your head...let me try this again for you. If we play team A and beat them by 10 and Georgia (for arguments sake) plays the same team A and beats them by 40, that says nothing about how we would match up head to head. Saying that LSUs loss is more impressive than our win is not the same theory.

As for the SEC koolaid, they have won 7 straight national titles. Until it is proven otherwise, they have the best teams in the country. If I remember, the last time we played an SEC team we got our asses kicked. Some of you need to take your OU shades off. We all love our Sooners but until we prove otherwise, this is not a championship caliber team

Well at least you admit your bias being shaped by past years.

It may be over my head, but I was under the impression that players and coaches change from year to year.

Hey, look, I understand taking a conservative approach to OU's success, but I don't believe any absolute conclusions can be made. Saying LSU's loss is more impressive than OU's win is nothing more than another opinion that can be shot full of holes, as can my opinion.

If you think I wear OU shades, then you don't know me very well. Either way, no worries. :)

Collier11
9/30/2013, 09:24 PM
Well if you go on the road to a top 10 team and lose by 3, that is pretty darn impressive. This OU team has the potential to be great if they keep improving, but we have seen little YET to tell us that our season wont end like the last two have. Ask me again after Baylor and I may have a different answer. Georgia has played 3 teams that are better than any team we have played IMO and they are 2-1 in those games and could easily be 3-0

soonerhubs
9/30/2013, 09:31 PM
Well if you go on the road to a top 10 team and lose by 3, that is pretty darn impressive. This OU team has the potential to be great if they keep improving, but we have seen little YET to tell us that our season wont end like the last two have. Ask me again after Baylor and I may have a different answer. Georgia has played 3 teams that are better than any team we have played IMO and they are 2-1 in those games and could easily be 3-0

I can respect this. I just think the preseason polls aside, top ten rankings would look quite differently.

I think OU is building on a new philosophy that makes for the most complete team. One that rests defenses, chews up clock, and doesn't panic.

Aside from Alabama, I don't see many others with this philosophy.

As much as I detest Saban, his brilliant philosophy wins titles and I think Stoops sees it. Sabanball is going to laugh at me. I know it. =)

8timechamps
9/30/2013, 09:36 PM

I don't necessarily agree with your logic (regarding OU's win versus LSU's loss), but there is no way to really know right now.

I happen to think the majority of the SEC is overrated. By "overrated", I mean literally they are ranked too high. The preseason poll, which we all know is fairly worthless, ranked 5 SEC teams in the top 15. This is the same poll that had Texas ranked 15 and OSU ranked either 13 or 14. The problem is that that poll has such an affect on the rest of the season. So, is South Carolina really a top 15 team, or are they a top 15 team because they started the year at #6? Is Georgia a top 15 team, or are they a top 15 team because they started the year #5? You get my logic.

In those terms, the SEC is in a win/win situation. I'm not saying the SEC hasn't earned the right to be highly ranked in the pre-season, but not every team has (including LSU). LSU lost to a slightly above average Florida team last year, Bama, and Clemson in the Chik-fil-a bowl. Otherwise, their lone "big" win was over A&M on the road. That was a good win, but the rest are over average or below average teams.

This year, they lost their only game to a very good team. The final score doesn't make the loss a win. A loss is still a loss, and they couldn't take care of business. OU did, and it was also on the road, against a ranked team.

I would be surprised if Notre Dame loses another game from now until Stanford. They'll probably finish the season 9-3, which is most likely better than anyone LSU has beaten, or will beat. I wouldn't discount the OU win at Notre Dame.

Curly Bill
9/30/2013, 09:51 PM
C11 getting picked on for not being homer enough?! That makes me laugh!

Collier11
9/30/2013, 10:22 PM
what has happened to this place, lol

Collier11
9/30/2013, 10:25 PM
I happen to think the majority of the SEC is overrated. By "overrated", I mean literally they are ranked too high. The preseason poll, which we all know is fairly worthless, ranked 5 SEC teams in the top 15. This is the same poll that had Texas ranked 15 and OSU ranked either 13 or 14. The problem is that that poll has such an affect on the rest of the season. So, is South Carolina really a top 15 team, or are they a top 15 team because they started the year at #6? Is Georgia a top 15 team, or are they a top 15 team because they started the year #5? You get my logic.

In those terms, the SEC is in a win/win situation. I'm not saying the SEC hasn't earned the right to be highly ranked in the pre-season, but not every team has (including LSU). LSU lost to a slightly above average Florida team last year, Bama, and Clemson in the Chik-fil-a bowl. Otherwise, their lone "big" win was over A&M on the road. That was a good win, but the rest are over average or below average teams.

This year, they lost their only game to a very good team. The final score doesn't make the loss a win. A loss is still a loss, and they couldn't take care of business. OU did, and it was also on the road, against a ranked team.

I would be surprised if Notre Dame loses another game from now until Stanford. They'll probably finish the season 9-3, which is most likely better than anyone LSU has beaten, or will beat. I wouldn't discount the OU win at Notre Dame.

Lets make this easy, name me 10 teams better than Bama, Georgia, LSU, SC. and A&M. Since you think for the most part they are overrated then you should be able to...right?

Notre Dame will likely get beat this weekend and will likely lose 4-5 this year

Curly Bill
9/30/2013, 10:33 PM
what has happened to this place, lol

You're being out-homered! haha

The team has looked really good so far, and better than I expected. I see lots of things to be excited about for both this year and next, but some people may need to tap the breaks a little bit.

...and all the SEC not being all that stuff? I mean I have no love for the SEC, but damn - they have won the last 7 NC's, and that says something!

OU_Sooners75
9/30/2013, 10:37 PM

And yet ND played 3 teams that were better than any team OU played.

It's sad how much you form an opinion from watching too much ESPiN.

soonerhubs
9/30/2013, 10:44 PM
Sooooooooo I guess some of you live in a different universe where a team of players and coaches from one season is the same team for the next.

Giving a conference respect for past seasons is beyond Crap. This is especially true in a league that has more turnover than the NFL, and yet we don't seem to see crowns in that league based on prior seasons.

The lack of critical thinking in this thread is laughable.

OU_Sooners75
9/30/2013, 10:45 PM
Let's get one thing straight, the SEC as a whole has not won the last 7 BCs titles.

Just because a team wins a championship doesn't mean that conference automatically is the best and deserves all the rankings that they are receiving.

I'm sorry, how does Ole Miss get shut out and not fall out the AP top 25?

How does LSU fall just 3 spots after a loss?

While OSU loses and falls 10 spots?

See the bias? Yes you can say that the loss of OSU looks worse than the other two...but WVU has two losses vs undefeated teams.

You can can drink the SEC kool aid all you want. For watching the games this year, none of them look to be clearly better than any other team that is currently undefeated or has one loss.

soonerhubs
9/30/2013, 10:45 PM

Agreed. It's as if they're reading Herbstreit's talking points while visiting drunky town.

Curly Bill
9/30/2013, 10:50 PM
Sooooooooo I guess some of you live in a different universe where a team of players and coaches from one season is the same team for the next.

Giving a conference respect for past seasons is beyond Crap. This is especially true in a league that has more turnover than the NFL, and yet we don't seem to see crowns in that league based on prior seasons.

The lack of critical thinking in this thread is laughable.

I'm a student of history, and recent history shows that at the end of the year one of the SEC teams is on top. It is what it is. The willingness to overlook recent history in this thread is laughable.

OU_Sooners75
9/30/2013, 10:52 PM
And a my point:
Teams like Georgia, LSU, and A&M, hell even South Carolina, are all benefiting from being placed inside the top 10 to start the season.

Take away the preseason rankings and the polls would definitely look different!

soonerhubs
9/30/2013, 10:54 PM
I'm a student of history, and recent history shows that at the end of the year one of the SEC teams is on top. It is what it is. The willingness to overlook recent history in this thread is laughable.

Explain to me how this can shape preseason polls, for teams that lose so many players year in and year out.

I'm seriously wanting to know how this can be rationally and logically ascertained.

Curly Bill
9/30/2013, 10:54 PM
There's no question some of the SEC teams get a better start in the polls than they might warrant because of the SEC hype, but I dare say if a collection of Big-12 teams win the next 7 NC's, the Big-12 would get much the same treatment.

soonerhubs
9/30/2013, 10:57 PM
There's no question some of the SEC teams get a better start in the polls than they might warrant because of the SEC hype, but I dare say if a collection of Big-12 teams win the next 7 NC's, the Big-12 would get much the same treatment.

It is this very treatment that is flawed logic, good sir. So conclusions based on this treatment are also flawed, and I rest my case.

Curly Bill
9/30/2013, 10:57 PM
Explain to me how this can shape preseason polls, for teams that lose so many players year in and year out.

I'm seriously wanting to know how this can be rationally and logically ascertained.

Because year in and year out, despite losing a plethora of players to graduation and many of em to the NFL, the SEC has shown that many of their teams will be back near the top the following season. If you've paid attention the past half-dozen and more years you would have seen this.

Curly Bill
9/30/2013, 10:59 PM
It is this very treatment that is flawed logic, good sir. So conclusions based on this treatment are also flawed, and I rest my case.

Nice try, but no one declared you the judge on this argument. I'd argue it's your willingness to overlook recent history and facts, that makes you come out on the losing end of this. So...you can rest your case, but you'll rest it on the losing side.

Eielson
Why are we complaining about the SEC rankings? There is only one of them in the top 5. This has to be one of the only times in the last few years.

EatLeadCommie
There are only two teams that I would dread going up against-- Oregon and aTm. Their offenses are just silly good with incredible playmakers at QB. Now all those other teams may very much beat us if we were matched up against them, but they don't scare me like those two do.

Georgia a typical Mark Richt team-- lots of talent and underachieving. Nobody in the ACC scares me. Clemson beat UGA at home, struggled against NCSU, and thumped the worst Wake Forest team in about 20 years. FSU struggled against a terrible BC team.

Curly Bill
9/30/2013, 11:01 PM
Why are we complaining about the SEC rankings? There is only one of them in the top 5. This has to be one of the only times in the last few years.

It's cool to be butt-hurt about all the SEC love! LOL

OU_Sooners75
9/30/2013, 11:02 PM

Because year in and year out, despite losing a plethora of players to graduation and many of em to the NFL, the SEC has shown that many of their teams will be back near the top the following season. If you've paid attention the past half-dozen and more years you would have seen this.

Outside of Alabama, every team in the SEC has had worse seasons than OU the last 4+ seasons.

And yet now they are all of a sudden better?

Alabama is to the SEC as OU is to the Big 12.

Eielson
9/30/2013, 11:02 PM
You guys wanna know how far the Big XII has fallen? BAYLOR is the second best team in the conference. I've been saying Briles is one of the best coaches in the country for a while now, but they weren't even supposed to be top two when they had RGIII.

Curly Bill
9/30/2013, 11:07 PM
Outside of Alabama, every team in the SEC has had worse seasons than OU the last 4+ seasons.

All of a sudden? Did they not win the last 7 NC's? I guess if you're considering the last 7 years to be all of a sudden you'd be right.

soonerhubs
9/30/2013, 11:10 PM

It's pointless arguing with these guys. They apparently transcend all biases. Just ask them, and they'll remind us. If we disagree, we're somehow homers.

The SEC rankings must be purely based on perfect logic because they said so. The preseason polls are perfect, and shame on me for criticizing folks who base their conclusions about team quality on those infallible polls released back in August. I've learned my lesson. ;)

soonerhubs
9/30/2013, 11:11 PM
Oh, and an SEC patch is a brand that everyone should unquestionably buy into, no questions asked.

Curly Bill
9/30/2013, 11:12 PM
It's pointless arguing with these guys. They apparently transcend all biases. Just ask them, and they'll remind us. If we disagree, we're somehow homers.

The SEC rankings must be purely based on perfect logic because they said so. The preseason polls are perfect, and shame on me for criticizing folks who base their conclusions about team quality on those infallible polls released back in August. I've learned my lesson. ;)

Good! Get out of here and leave the football talk to us experts then! ;)

Eielson
9/30/2013, 11:13 PM
but they weren't even supposed to be top two when they had RGIII.

I know nobody cares, but I'm going to apologize to Seastrunk right now. He's no RGIII, but I think he's the best offensive player in the country.

OU_Sooners75
9/30/2013, 11:18 PM

All of a sudden? Did they not win the last 7 NC's? I guess if you're considering the last 7 years to be all of a sudden you'd be right.

The SEC no. A team from the SEC yes.

Follow along. LSU wins, then slumps off a little. Florida wins twice, where are they now? Auburn wins one and they disintegrate.

Alabama has been the only constant in that conference the last 4+ years. But all of a sudden there is this false thinking that the entire SEC has won the last 7 NCs and that all the SEC teams are great....when in reality only one or two each year are great. With 4-5 being very solid. And the rest average or worse.

soonerhubs
9/30/2013, 11:19 PM
Good! Get out of here and leave the football talk to us experts then! ;)
;)

AZSOONER
10/1/2013, 11:37 AM
1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. Clemson
4. Texas A&M
5. Stanford
6. Georgia
7. LSU
8. Ohio St.
9. Florida St.
10. S. Carolina

8timechamps
10/1/2013, 01:02 PM
Lets make this easy, name me 10 teams better than Bama, Georgia, LSU, SC. and A&M. Since you think for the most part they are overrated then you should be able to...right?

Notre Dame will likely get beat this weekend and will likely lose 4-5 this year

I never said A&M or Bama was not a top 10 team. I also said I thought UGA was a top 10 team. If you go back and re-read my post, you'll see that I said I thought most of the SEC were "literally" overrated (over-ranked).

Anyway, here's my top 10 right now:

1. Oregon
2. Alabama
3. Clemson
4. Stanford
5. Florida State
6. Ohio State
7. Texas A&M
8. Georgia
9. Louisville
10. UCLA

I'm not sure if you didn't read my post, or if you confused it with someone else. But, my issue is with LSU and South Carolina specifically. I asked what it was about LSU that made you think they were a top 10 team, and you responded by asking me which 10 teams are better than Bama, UGA, LSU, USC and A&M? I'm not following your logic here.

As for ND, can you point out the 3 teams they will lose to from here? I said they would most likely lose to Stanford, but I'm not seeing two other teams that will beat them.

birddog
10/1/2013, 01:08 PM
Collier was just puffin up a little

Collier11
10/1/2013, 05:51 PM

Tim, let me make this easy for you. I form an opinion off of what I see and what I believe to be true. You form an opinion on the ability to be correct no matter how silly you come off. That's fine, but you are acting a little crazy

Collier11
10/1/2013, 05:53 PM
Let's get one thing straight, the SEC as a whole has not won the last 7 BCs titles.

Just because a team wins a championship doesn't mean that conference automatically is the best and deserves all the rankings that they are receiving.

I'm sorry, how does Ole Miss get shut out and not fall out the AP top 25?

How does LSU fall just 3 spots after a loss?

While OSU loses and falls 10 spots?

See the bias? .

This is too easy...Ole Miss lost to the #1 team in the land, LSU lost on the road to a top 10 team, osu lost to a team that got blown out by Maryland. Are you really asking these questions?

Collier11
10/1/2013, 05:59 PM
I never said A&M or Bama was not a top 10 team. I also said I thought UGA was a top 10 team. If you go back and re-read my post, you'll see that I said I thought most of the SEC were "literally" overrated (over-ranked).

Anyway, here's my top 10 right now:

1. Oregon
2. Alabama
3. Clemson
4. Stanford
5. Florida State
6. Ohio State
7. Texas A&M
8. Georgia
9. Louisville
10. UCLA

I'm not sure if you didn't read my post, or if you confused it with someone else. But, my issue is with LSU and South Carolina specifically. I asked what it was about LSU that made you think they were a top 10 team, and you responded by asking me which 10 teams are better than Bama, UGA, LSU, USC and A&M? I'm not following your logic here.

As for ND, can you point out the 3 teams they will lose to from here? I said they would most likely lose to Stanford, but I'm not seeing two other teams that will beat them.

You know why I have always liked you 8times? Because you have a clue...we don't have to agree but you aren't a nut job. As for your top 10, I would agree other than I think FSU and OSU are too high.

As for ND, I already told you that I think they lose to Arizona st. That would put them at 3-3. I also think they have a good shot to lose to Pitt and Stanford. Best case I see them going is 9-3 but I see 8-4 very likely

8timechamps
10/1/2013, 06:03 PM
You know why I have always liked you 8times? Because you have a clue...we don't have to agree but you aren't a nut job. As for your top 10, I would agree other than I think FSU and OSU are too high.

As for ND, I already told you that I think they lose to Arizona st. That would put them at 3-3. I also think they have a good shot to lose to Pitt and Stanford. Best case I see them going is 9-3 but I see 8-4 very likely

Well, sometimes I do (not always though).

I'm not sold on FSU or OSU either, but at least FSU will have a chance to prove their worth.

I completely forgot that ND plays ASU this week. I can see that one being tough to win. It will be interesting to see how they finish up the year.

Collier11
10/1/2013, 06:07 PM
If we all remember, our D was playing well last year until we fell apart. Will that happen again this year? Will we be able to win at Baylor and at OSU? Will Blake Bell play so well thru the whole year, not just two games? This team has way more questions marks than the other top teams so for anyone to say that we are better than those SEC teams, you have nothing to base it on.

Since71ASooner4Life
10/1/2013, 07:12 PM

Follow along. LSU wins, then slumps off a little. Florida wins twice, where are they now? Auburn wins one and they disintegrate.

Alabama has been the only constant in that conference the last 4+ years. But all of a sudden there is this false thinking that the entire SEC has won the last 7 NCs and that all the SEC teams are great....when in reality only one or two each year are great. With 4-5 being very solid. And the rest average or worse.

Got to disagree with you. The votes being cast on NFL draft day say that the SEC is and has been the best conference for some time now.

8timechamps
10/1/2013, 07:30 PM
If we all remember, our D was playing well last year until we fell apart. Will that happen again this year? Will we be able to win at Baylor and at OSU? Will Blake Bell play so well thru the whole year, not just two games? This team has way more questions marks than the other top teams so for anyone to say that we are better than those SEC teams, you have nothing to base it on.

All good point, but I think there is a distinct difference in this team (versus last year's squad). The defense is completely different, but that doesn't mean it will fare better for the remainder of the year.

As for Bell, I don't think we've seen what a complete game looks like for him. I think Tulsa was close, but I want to see him do that against a better opponent...and I think he will.

We know more than we knew a month ago, but there's still a lot of growth that needs to happen.

ashley
10/1/2013, 07:40 PM
LSU and Georgia are better right now better than we are. Baylor and A&M may be. Louisville is not.

soonerhubs
10/3/2013, 07:07 AM
Summary of this thread: If you agree with Cb's and collier 's absolute statements about who's better, based on flawed preseason polls, you're a guru.

If you state that their conclusions could be flawed, and that there's a chance that OU could be better than a one-loss Georgia team, you're a nut job.

So it's a double standard regarding absolute statements. Got it.

ashley
10/3/2013, 11:52 AM
Alabama
Oregon
Clemson
Georgia
Stanford
OU
LSU
A&M
Florida State
Ohio State

8timechamps
10/3/2013, 12:16 PM
Summary of this thread: If you agree with Cb's and collier 's absolute statements about who's better, based on flawed preseason polls, you're a guru.

If you state that their conclusions could be flawed, and that there's a chance that OU could be better than a one-loss Georgia team, you're a nut job.

So it's a double standard regarding absolute statements. Got it.

No, no, no. You've got it all wrong.

The summary of this thread: 8timechamps IS a guru.

8timechamps
10/3/2013, 12:17 PM
LSU and Georgia are better right now better than we are. Baylor and A&M may be. Louisville is not.

Alabama
Oregon
Clemson
Georgia
Stanford
OU
LSU
A&M
Florida State
Ohio State

Wait, whut?

ashley
10/3/2013, 03:52 PM
Maybe, sure. I am not sure of anything right now except 1 @ 2 and they could both eventually lose. Offensive styles are so different that if makes it hard to determine. Hell, on the right day if they show they can play defense Baylor might be better than some of the top 10. I still want to see Bell against a real good team with a rush. Many, many things this time of year.

OU_Sooners75
10/3/2013, 04:46 PM

Got to disagree with you. The votes being cast on NFL draft day say that the SEC is and has been the best conference for some time now.

NFL draft is now the final judge of how good each conference is or isn't?

Please. The SEC has been putting players in the NFL for years, so has OU and Texas.

There are players in the NFL from Vanderbilt, does that make them a supreme team? No!

In fact every conference has players go into the NFL. Granted the SEC has more at this point. And it's been that way for probably 15-20 years.

Yet you didn't see a perception of the SEC being the best conference 10-15 years ago, even while putting a lot of talent in the NFL. Why?

Finally let me add this: if you look at the players in the NFL from the SEC, you'll notice most come from Alabama. LSU, Florida, and UGA.

And now since they have A&M and Missouri, they look to have more, even though most of the players from those two teams never played a down in the SEC conference.

soonerhubs
10/3/2013, 06:06 PM
No, no, no. You've got it all wrong.

The summary of this thread: 8timechamps IS a guru.

That's a given. ;)

8timechamps
10/3/2013, 09:03 PM
Maybe, sure. I am not sure of anything right now except 1 @ 2 and they could both eventually lose. Offensive styles are so different that if makes it hard to determine. Hell, on the right day if they show they can play defense Baylor might be better than some of the top 10. I still want to see Bell against a real good team with a rush. Many, many things this time of year.

I can agree with that. The only things I'm sure of is that OU seems to be improving each week, and there's still a lot of unknowns about everyone.

Eielson
10/3/2013, 10:05 PM
Have we settled on our top 10 list, or should I come back later?

soonerhubs
10/3/2013, 10:19 PM

1) Soonerhubs
2) Eielson
3-10) Irrelevant

;)

Sabanball
10/3/2013, 11:22 PM
Oregon hasn't played anybody yet. Let's see what they do against Stanford. They pulled this same crap last season and then got held to 14 pts by the cardinal.

BoulderSooner79
10/3/2013, 11:31 PM

No and I doubt coming back later will change that ;)

Spray
10/4/2013, 08:41 AM
What if UGA had beaten LSU 10-7? Would that still be "impressive"? Just trying to put some context around this "impressive" word being so casually thrown around.
And by extension, if LSU losing a 44-41 shoot out on the road against a top 10 team is "pretty damn impressive", am I then to conclude that UGA wasn't as impressive as they should have been since that result is obviously unexpected since we are "impressed" with LSU's performance?

my head hurts.