PDA

View Full Version : Conclusion: ND fans are great...

Jason White's Third Knee
9/29/2013, 01:01 AM
I went to the game today and had a blast (thanks Xing). The campus is as fine a campus as there is. I was greeted with a "Welcome to Notre Dame" at almost every turn.

The weather was spectacular, with clear skies, low humidity, and a high of 80. Tailgating was in full effect. As I roamed around the tailgates, I got nods, smiles, was offered beer and food (jello shots, no thanks), and on the occasional acceptance of such offers, I chatted it up with some pretty cool folks that were ready for a kick *** football game.

Coolest? One ND Fan gave me a pass to get on the field before the game! Awesome!!! (I gave it to another Sooner fan that seemed to be enjoying the history of the stadium).
Worst? One (only one) ND Fan (around 60yo) flipping out about the targeting call (F'bombs like crazy with kids around) while our player was hurt.

Great fans. Never would have guessed it by the fools that run around the country with ND hats on.

ND Fans are some of the best.

​Word.

picasso
9/29/2013, 01:20 AM
This sounds a lot like Bama fans. Rich tradition and classy folks.
I'm proud to say the only time I was embarrassed by an OU fan being a jerk was K-state 2001.
You have to love ND's stadium. No suites or bells and whistles.
Take that T Boone.

mojorisen2014
9/29/2013, 01:25 AM
So basically what you are saying is that Notre Dame fans are happy drunks?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/29/2013, 01:30 AM
little doubt they thought we would cave in.

Jason White's Third Knee
9/29/2013, 01:33 AM
This sounds a lot like Bama fans. Rich tradition and classy folks.
I'm proud to say the only time I was embarrassed by an OU fan being a jerk was K-state 2001.
You have to love ND's stadium. No suites or bells and whistles.
Take that T Boone.

Hmmm. No suites? Looked like they may have had suites, but that is speculation on that monster pressbox. They had no jumbotrons... I was wishing that they had jumbotrons...

Again, the dick quota was low. I have a pic of that SOB if anyone wants to start a viral thing... REDDIT? Nah.

I've been to Nebraska only once and I got the same vibe. Play ball and have a good time the rest of the time. ND was like that.

IronSooner
9/29/2013, 07:47 AM
Glad you made it to the game and had such a good experience. I had hoped to go but couldn't get a ticket in time. Here's hoping we can have more early season games with traditional powers like this. I went down to Alabama in 03 and had a great time.

8timechamps
9/29/2013, 01:05 PM
I cannot say enough about how awesome the ND fans were. When I get home, I'll write a post about it, but they were, without a doubt, the most hospitable fans I've ever been around. What was most impressive is how they acted after the game. I lost count of the "Great game, good luck the rest of the year" comments. One guy even said something to the effect of "Sorry we couldn't give you a better game".

My 13 year old son fell on the way into the stadium, and a couple of ND ladies ended up taking us into one of the buildings on campus to clean up his scrape (which wasn't much of anything, but he was soaking up the attention). One of the ladies ended up being a professor, so we got a mini-tour before the game.

Absolutely the best road game I've ever been to, and I'm not sure a loss would have changed my experience a whole lot.

Piware
9/29/2013, 01:16 PM
I was so proud of the number of OU fans that were able to go. In the aerial shots of the stadium the big section of crimson was very obvious. At the end of the game you could clearly hear OUr fans and BOOMER SOONER in the background. So proud of the kids and the fans who attended ~ you all did us proud and glad you had such a great game day experience. KUDOS to all.

okiedokie
9/29/2013, 03:38 PM
Great time as well...everyone was friendly and people were very nice even after the loss. we did run into a sooner fan that was there from Houston and he was looking to give his extra ticket to any sooner fan that needed one...I told my one buddy he should have gone because you never know...

MyT Oklahoma
9/29/2013, 04:51 PM
Glad to hear everyone who went had a positive experience.

yermom
9/29/2013, 07:54 PM
there were tickets around, i didn't ask about them, but we overheard a pair going for $130

normally i will buy them at the stadium, but didn't want to risk it for this one

couldn't really have been happier with how it went down. the fans were all awesome, i think we had one student-aged guy mouth off at us before the game, but that was it

HoserSooner
9/29/2013, 08:32 PM
I agree 100% - I wasn't sure what to expect, walking around at 8 AM on game day, decked out in my crimson, but everywhere I went, I was greeted with a "Good Morning", "Good Luck", "How are you enjoying your stay?" as I walked around the campus. (I commented to one fan, that not even Canada is THIS friendly?). The Irish fans that I ended up tailgating (met some Sooner fans who introduced me to a drink, called "The Force" :panda:) next to, were extremely friendly, even in their intoxicated state. I will certainly be going back one day, as the entire experience was phenomenal.

soonerwalt
9/29/2013, 08:50 PM
Just an observation but am I wrong but MOST fans from schools with a real football tradition (OU ND BAMA NEB. MICH. tOSU etc. ) have really good fans that respect/appreciate other teams and thee fans. However, programs that have recent tradition (The U FSU UF etc) are in a word are bad fans. I liken it to "Old money vs. New money)
Am I wrong?

XingTheRubicon
9/29/2013, 09:04 PM
I went to the game today and had a blast (thanks Xing). The campus is as fine a campus as there is. I was greeted with a "Welcome to Notre Dame" at almost every turn.

The weather was spectacular, with clear skies, low humidity, and a high of 80. Tailgating was in full effect. As I roamed around the tailgates, I got nods, smiles, was offered beer and food (jello shots, no thanks), and on the occasional acceptance of such offers, I chatted it up with some pretty cool folks that were ready for a kick *** football game.

Coolest? One ND Fan gave me a pass to get on the field before the game! Awesome!!! (I gave it to another Sooner fan that seemed to be enjoying the history of the stadium).
Worst? One (only one) ND Fan (around 60yo) flipping out about the targeting call (F'bombs like crazy with kids around) while our player was hurt.

Great fans. Never would have guessed it by the fools that run around the country with ND hats on.

ND Fans are some of the best.

​Word.

It was great meeting you, glad you had a good time. I did as well, great atmosphere.

I have to echo everyone else, the domers were awesome.

8timechamps
9/29/2013, 09:40 PM
Just an observation but am I wrong but MOST fans from schools with a real football tradition (OU ND BAMA NEB. MICH. tOSU etc. ) have really good fans that respect/appreciate other teams and thee fans. However, programs that have recent tradition (The U FSU UF etc) are in a word are bad fans. I liken it to "Old money vs. New money)
Am I wrong?

I think that's a function of age.

No matter where you go (as an opposing fan), you can find *******s (if you really look for them), but programs with great tradition have a lot of older fans that have been around long enough to see their team struggle. They appreciate history, and respect fans that have similar experiences.

The one exception I have experienced was Boise State fans at the Fiesta Bowl...but, they hadn't really won anything at the D1 level yet, and they had experienced a lot of success at the D2 level.

70sooner
9/29/2013, 09:50 PM
I was so proud of the number of OU fans that were able to go. In the aerial shots of the stadium the big section of crimson was very obvious. At the end of the game you could clearly hear OUr fans and BOOMER SOONER in the background. So proud of the kids and the fans who attended ~ you all did us proud and glad you had such a great game day experience. KUDOS to all.

Was amazed at all the Crimson in the crowd on the TV.

Nice rep by Sooner Fan at South Bend!

badger
9/30/2013, 08:15 AM
We need to play these guys more. Joe C, make it happen. Catholic Jesus, say "yes" when Notre Dame leaders pray about it.

Dixon
9/30/2013, 02:33 PM
I would echo the comments above. Went to the game with my wife and three boys. The ND fans were fantastic. Sincerely happy to show off their school, and they clearly appreciated the traditions of both teams.

We were met with "Welcome to ND" all weekend, and even received a warm reception from ND fans after the game.

My favorite part was that we attended a Mass immediately after the game in their Monogram room (which was full of former ND athletes, etc), and we were the only Sooner fans that I saw in there. The priest gave us a special mention during prayers. Good luck getting that reception somewhere else right after your team beats the home team : - )

Finally, hats off to all the other Sooner fans that traveled to the game. Great showing-- there was a lot of Sooner noise in that stadium!!

Sooner24
9/30/2013, 10:57 PM
I said it after we went to South Bend in 1999 and I will say it again after this weekend, NOWHERE have I been treated better than Notre Dame. The ushers were even shaking our hands and thanking us for coming as we were leaving the stadium Saturday.

Sooner24
9/30/2013, 10:58 PM
there were tickets around, i didn't ask about them, but we overheard a pair going for $130

normally i will buy them at the stadium, but didn't want to risk it for this one

couldn't really have been happier with how it went down. the fans were all awesome, i think we had one student-aged guy mouth off at us before the game, but that was it

Good seeing you Saturday.

instigator
10/1/2013, 09:48 AM
It was definitely the best fan experience I have had. Even Nebraska fans weren't this friendly. We were in a ND section and everyone around us was very nice. I chatted quite a bit with some younger guys next to me and they just wanted to talk football. As we left the stadium, I did not hear one negative thing. Not one.

The traffic leaving was absolutely incredible. We were out of the parking lot and on the interstate in about 10 minutes. I've never seen anything like it before.

I wish we'd schedule a home and home with them once every 10 years or so. I'd go back every time.

Temujin
10/1/2013, 09:52 AM
So basically what you are saying is that Notre Dame fans are happy drunks?

Well, they are "Irish"...

rock on sooner
10/1/2013, 09:58 AM
I'm very impressed with all the favorable comments from those who
made it to the game, BUT, I STILL remember Pietrosante leading the
way and Dick Lynch going around right end and scoring so my dislike
of the Domers' team is undiminished!:friendly_wink:

yermom
10/1/2013, 10:09 AM
Good seeing you Saturday.

likewise

i do fly by the seat of my pants on these things :D

SoonerForLife92
10/1/2013, 10:53 AM
I had one lone ND fan say "**** Oklahoma" right to me and my buddies face while walking through the tail gating. I said to him, you will be even more adament about that when we win. There was also a random insanely drunk irish girl who appeared im my sectiom during the fourth quarter and talked all kinds of crap... Until 10 min later shepard made her shut up for the rest of the game. She wasnt like the first jackass though.

Besides that the notre dame fans were very nice and hospitable. I talked to one of them for 10 or so min about his breaking bad shirt and the show. Very good environment and great fans.

PrideMom
10/1/2013, 11:00 AM
ND has no jumbotron, so they really couldn't see the what was happening. Toby said they couldn't see the game clock. ND needs to get with the rest of the world, and forget how it "USED TO BE"!!! The field looked like a practice field, and the turf was aweful. I had heard that the hospitality was great. But I was really pleased on how many RED shirts were in the stands!

BOOMER! SOONER!

ouleaf
10/1/2013, 03:09 PM
Overall the Irish Fans were very welcoming and friendly with several offering congratulations after the game. One heard one fan, as the last few seconds ticked off and we were doing the "Boomer - Sooner" chant. He said the word "Simpleton" instead of "Sooner".

I kind of jab at him with the question "Does that really make you feel better? Really? Does it?" Then just sort of proceeded to shrug him off.

Other than that it was a great game, great day, and great win!

10/1/2013, 03:32 PM
It would be interesting to see how the domer fans treat visitors wearing USC colors when that game is played in So. Bend. (I am guessing that usuc has bigtime scoreboard on the norte d's) That would be an ironclad test of their goodwill and goodfandom. This year still might not be as valid a test, though, since the usucs still suck. (that is, if the game is even played in indiana this yr)

Salt City Sooner
10/1/2013, 03:59 PM
It would be interesting to see how the domer fans treat visitors wearing USC colors when that game is played in So. Bend. (I am guessing that usuc has bigtime scoreboard on the norte d's) That would be an ironclad test of their goodwill and goodfandom. This year still might not be as valid a test, though, since the usucs still suck. (that is, if the game is even played in indiana this yr)
ND has won 2 of the last 3 (ironically, both wins came in L.A.). Carroll did kick the crap out of them while he was there though.

8timechamps
10/1/2013, 04:16 PM
ND has no jumbotron, so they really couldn't see the what was happening. Toby said they couldn't see the game clock. ND needs to get with the rest of the world, and forget how it "USED TO BE"!!! The field looked like a practice field, and the turf was aweful. I had heard that the hospitality was great. But I was really pleased on how many RED shirts were in the stands!

BOOMER! SOONER!

Not sure what he meant by that, but there was definitely a game clock. All they have is an old school scoreboard (OU/ND score, game clock, timeouts and quarter...that's about it).

I don't know, I really thought it was cool being in a stadium that didn't have advertisements on every available inch, and video boards with "MAKE SOME NOISE" flashing all over the stadium. Don't get me wrong, Memorial Stadium is still (by far) my favorite place to watch football, but as stadiums go, Notre Dame stadium is pretty cool like it is.

10/1/2013, 04:27 PM
ND has won 2 of the last 3 (ironically, both wins came in L.A.). Carroll did kick the crap out of them while he was there though.Carroll's condoms would explode on the norte's, seems like the entire time Carroll was there at usuc.

instigator
10/1/2013, 04:36 PM
I agree about the lack of technology not being a bad thing. I would generally like some replays but I can do without the rest of it. I damn sure don't need a tweet board. The only complaint about the stadium was the music until the snap.

Bourbon St Sooner
10/1/2013, 04:42 PM
Well there was the Bush push.

8timechamps
10/1/2013, 04:58 PM
I agree about the lack of technology not being a bad thing. I would generally like some replays but I can do without the rest of it. I damn sure don't need a tweet board. The only complaint about the stadium was the music until the snap.

Agreed. It took me at least to the end of the first quarter to quit looking for a replay.

The music was too loud, and I'm not the kind of person that usually minds that. They sure do like their Seven Nation Army.

mhackl
10/1/2013, 05:57 PM
It may be a simplistic observation, but programs that are used to success have long term fans. I think this is the difference.

Sooner24
10/2/2013, 03:49 PM

BOOMER! SOONER!

I'm guessing Toby meant the 40 play clock. It took me a while to find them in the endzones.

I was also impressed with their student section. They were in their seats until the final second ticked off the clock. I made the comment that our student section would have already cleared out in the last couple of minutes to which someone replied ours would have cleared out at halftime.