PDA

View Full Version : Why It Doesn't Matter Who Texas Hires, Parts I and II

Tear Down This Wall
9/27/2013, 02:47 PM
Part I
They do, have, and will always suck.

Part II
They will still be under the same 85 player scholarship limit as the rest of the country. And, if they are misguided as the many Texas coaches who precede him, he will mistakenly believe the key to his success will be recruiting the best in Texas.

As already pointed out, getting the best in Texas may not necessarily mean getting the best in the country. Again, as pointed out, recruiting Texas heavily didn't help the Southwest Conference become a powerhouse. In fact, it was likely the unspoken reason for its demise.

Having a large population means there are more high school football players than in any other state. But, what does that really mean? Since 1969, there has only been one school in Texas win a national title.

Rosters full of Texas kids didn't allow the A&Ms, Baylors, TCUs, North Texas', Techs, UTEPs, Houstons and other similarly situated suckfart Lone Star institutions of higher learning to land national titles. In fact, most of those institution have suffered through extended periods of suck and mediocrity; but, mostly suck.

While it is important to draw from the states around you if you are from a smaller state, schools such as Oklahoma and Nebraska built powerhouses in small states by going all over the country for recruits.

Alabama draws from the states around it. The last seven national title winners hail from the Southeastern Conference, none of which recruits the majority of its players from Texas. They'll cherry pick it. But, they are also wise enough to cherry pick from around the entire country.

Texas will be in trouble if they hire another coach who believes signing the best 20 or so players in Texas is the key. Those top 20 may not be as good as the top 20 from the entire nation.

Stoops keeps Oklahoma well stocked with players from around the country. Texas is important only because of its proximity. But, Stoops hasn't been able to do what Saban has done at Alabama. If Stoops were getting as many players from Florida or Georgia as he was from Texas, maybe he'd be in Saban territory glass ball-wise.

Texas is a good place to hit. But, even the next Texas coach will have to get their delusional fan base to understand that Texas high school football players are not the be all, end all of football talent in the country.

jkjsooner
9/27/2013, 03:23 PM
I think you underestimate what a good coach could do with a cherry picked list of Texas recruits. The arguments about TCU and North Texas don't apply as those schools are way down on the pecking order. These schools generally get what Texas, Texas A&M, and OU don't want. (There are exceptions of course.)

There are a lot of FBS schools in Texas to share that talent but as of the last 15 or so years Texas got to take their pick of a lot of the most talented kids.

It used to be hard to find good QB's in the state of Texas. I think that was one position that was hard to recruit in the SWC days. With the explosion of the spread offenses in high school, Texas has been producing a good number of high quality QB's.

You hit the mark with Part 1.

Herr Scholz
9/27/2013, 04:12 PM
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r188/mcrow24/guy-opening-door.gif

SouthFortySooner
9/28/2013, 12:26 AM
Because Mack has sucked so very badly in Dallas, there are always multiple TV shots of him grimacing and clapping. It has occurred to me while viewing the ancillary staff which surround him on the sidelines, are of the mouth breathing, soft, pimply faced, golf shirt wearing elitist kids of which he owes someone a favor. It is my occurring opinion he has fielded a team of the same ilk. Soft, entitled athletes of which the idea of recruiting them came at a banquet rather than a scout's report. You get it, "Oh Mack dear, Braaaaaad called and his son Keeeeeith wants to be a longwhorn". I just don't see him able to socialize with the, ragged jeaned 350 lb. kid, hid in the dust of west texas that could rip the teeth out of a wild hog. He seems pitiful to me.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
9/28/2013, 06:48 AM
I live down here in Texas now for 20 years. I can tell you that there is a large amount of top shelf players. Texas centered recruits is not the reason UT isn't the UT of old.

BOOMER!!!!!!!!!!

yermom
9/28/2013, 07:38 AM
Mack Brown whiffed on the last two Heisman winners, and one of the current contenders all from Texas

look at what they are fielding now, and you'll see why they suck

they would kill for Chrissy right now.

they were pretty solid with Vince Young and Colt McCoy, but haven't found anyone to follow them

OUmillenium
9/28/2013, 09:02 AM
Bingo^ (Eddie)

Okie35
9/28/2013, 12:41 PM
Mack Brown whiffed on the last two Heisman winners, and one of the current contenders all from Texas

look at what they are fielding now, and you'll see why they suck

they would kill for Chrissy right now.

they were pretty solid with Vince Young and Colt McCoy, but haven't found anyone to follow them

:) Robert Griffin or Johnny Manziel would've been great safeties hahaha...

Tear Down This Wall
9/28/2013, 08:44 PM
Yes, because the highest ranked quarterbacks in Texas were Garrett Gilbert and David Ash. Anyone recall the kid who transferred over to Ole Miss? He was a highly-rated Texas high school QB who ended up average in college.

This is what I'm saying: I don't think Mack/Texas even considered quarterbacks outside the state of Texas.

The 20-25 players they sign every year are not necessarily the best in the country. But, year in and year out, they stick with their plan of staying mainly in Texas to recruit.

Like I said, since 1969, take all of the schools in Texas combined, and how many national titles do you have: one. The one Texas won in 2005.

Surely, they will be smart enough to hire someone from the SEC who will be able to expand their recruiting base nationwide the way other annual contenders do.

But, if not...we'll continue to have many a fun second Saturday of October afternoons at the State Fair of Texas! :-)

bluedogok
9/29/2013, 04:55 PM
It is something that has been going on for awhile, look at how many QB's in other parts of the country came from Texas over the years that Texas didn't recruit. Drew Brees (from Westlake, in Austin), Matthew Stafford (Highland Park), Andrew Luck (Houston area), Christian Ponder (well.....), Booger Daniel, Nick Foles and a bunch of others. Pretty much any of those post McCoy would have been better than what they have on campus.

yermom
9/29/2013, 07:48 PM
Yes, because the highest ranked quarterbacks in Texas were Garrett Gilbert and David Ash. Anyone recall the kid who transferred over to Ole Miss? He was a highly-rated Texas high school QB who ended up average in college.

This is what I'm saying: I don't think Mack/Texas even considered quarterbacks outside the state of Texas.

The 20-25 players they sign every year are not necessarily the best in the country. But, year in and year out, they stick with their plan of staying mainly in Texas to recruit.

Like I said, since 1969, take all of the schools in Texas combined, and how many national titles do you have: one. The one Texas won in 2005.

Surely, they will be smart enough to hire someone from the SEC who will be able to expand their recruiting base nationwide the way other annual contenders do.

But, if not...we'll continue to have many a fun second Saturday of October afternoons at the State Fair of Texas! :-)

and Bradford was ***

maybe they should evaluate their own talent...

Tear Down This Wall
2/3/2014, 01:42 PM
http://newsok.com/sooners-recruiting-game-plan-goes-beyond-texas/article/3929930

ashley
2/3/2014, 09:30 PM
Good heaves, some people don't get it. It's not complicated. UT has been bad lately because they didn't have a QB. Please don't take me for a UT fan. Just the facts.

Scott D
2/3/2014, 11:21 PM
It is something that has been going on for awhile, look at how many QB's in other parts of the country came from Texas over the years that Texas didn't recruit. Drew Brees (from Westlake, in Austin), Matthew Stafford (Highland Park), Andrew Luck (Houston area), Christian Ponder (well.....), Booger Daniel, Nick Foles and a bunch of others. Pretty much any of those post McCoy would have been better than what they have on campus.

It was pretty widely known that Luck wasn't going to stay in Texas.

stoopified
2/4/2014, 09:37 AM
The Mack school of recruiting was takethe 25 highest rankedTexas recruitshe could get and call it good.He never got on to the fact that the 25 highest ranked recruits are not the 25 best players. If Strong comes and continues to get most of the Texas Top 25 nothing will change.

picasso
2/4/2014, 10:29 AM
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r188/mcrow24/guy-opening-door.gif

What an eccentric performance.