PDA

View Full Version : The Hypocrisy of the NCAA

cherokeebrewer
9/27/2013, 12:12 PM
I read this and it's an ugly reminder of what the NCAA has become.

http://http://shine.yahoo.com/work-money/low-ncaa-reduces-penn-state-8217-penalties-152800865.html

cherokeebrewer
9/27/2013, 12:14 PM
Sorry the link don't work. It was an article on the NCAA reducing the penalties for Penn State. I'll try again

http://shine.yahoo.com/work-money/low-ncaa-reduces-penn-state-8217-penalties-152800865.html

cherokeebrewer
9/27/2013, 12:21 PM
Ok, 2nd link works

badger
9/27/2013, 12:52 PM
USC covered their ears and sang LA LA LA as the NCAA tried to investigate their program's wrongdoings.

Penn State held its hands in the air, shouted "I'm guilty" and surrendered.

I don't think the NCAA is saying what Penn State is guilty of is not as bad as Reggie Bush/etc/etc. I think it's rewarding a program that its wrongdoing and makes added effort to make things better.

Jason White's Third Knee
9/27/2013, 12:55 PM
Has the NCAA ever made sense? They always punish the wrong guy. Dumb organization. The kids on that team had nothing todo with this. It's a criminal matter that has nothing to do with sports. You have 2 guys rotting in jail and a man that died in shame. That's what should have happened. Vilify the football team? Vilify charities too then because Sandusky was involved with one. Ridiculous.

cherokeebrewer
9/27/2013, 01:14 PM
Penn State held its hands in the air, shouted "I'm guilty" and surrendered.

I don't think the NCAA is saying what Penn State is guilty of is not as bad as Reggie Bush/etc/etc. I think it's rewarding a program that its wrongdoing and makes added effort to make things better.

It was sad for me to see Joe Paterno go out that way...

badger
9/27/2013, 01:28 PM
It was sad for me to see Joe Paterno go out that way...

I was more sad to hear that someone in the position he was in didn't do as much as he could have.

BoulderSooner79
9/27/2013, 01:48 PM
I never understood why Penn State received sanctions at all, let alone so severe. It seemed like a criminal case to me where some people needed to go to jail.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/27/2013, 01:50 PM
I was more sad to hear that someone in the position he was in didn't do as much as he could have.I believe he valued his win record above all else. That, and he thought (hoped, actually) that they could hide the problem, maybe permanently.

jkjsooner
9/27/2013, 01:59 PM
I guess I'm a minority here but what happened at Penn State should have been a matter for the legal authorities. Punishing them (especially as severely as they were) for their actions or inaction was really unprecedented.

The last thing we want is the NCAA to start getting involved with legal matters.

The NCAA didn't care that CT sold coke. They didn't care that three players gang raped a girl. They didn't care that one player shot another. These were all criminal matters and were handled by the proper authorities.

And since so many people have faulty memories, all of the things listed above happened after our probation was released. None had anything to do with our late '80s probation. The only way the criminal behavior was related to the probation is that both of these were used as justification to fire Switzer.

cherokeebrewer
9/27/2013, 02:12 PM
I was more sad to hear that someone in the position he was in didn't do as much as he could have.

There was much harm done to young kids in that entire situation. Joe should have done more, but still sad to see how that all played out and then he dies shortly afterwards...a legacy lost.

badger
9/27/2013, 02:23 PM
I never understood why Penn State received sanctions at all, let alone so severe. It seemed like a criminal case to me where some people needed to go to jail.

I guess I'm a minority here but what happened at Penn State should have been a matter for the legal authorities. Punishing them (especially as severely as they were) for their actions or inaction was really unprecedented.

I know, right? It's like, why does the NFL have to suspend and fine its players whenever they get arrested? It's not like they were arrested for playing bad football, amirite? [/sarcasm]

BoulderSooner79
9/27/2013, 02:25 PM

The last thing we want is the NCAA to start getting involved with legal matters.

The NCAA didn't care that CT sold coke. They didn't care that three players gang raped a girl. They didn't care that one player shot another. These were all criminal matters and were handled by the proper authorities.

And since so many people have faulty memories, all of the things listed above happened after our probation was released. None had anything to do with our late '80s probation. The only way the criminal behavior was related to the probation is that both of these were used as justification to fire Switzer.

I'm in your minority as well. Just seemed odd for the NCAA to step in on a criminal matter. Have to admit though, NCAA justice is swift compared to the court system. I wonder if they now have bylaws that state :

1 child didled == 1 scholarship deduction
for every 10 children didled add a bonus penalty of 1 year bowl ban.

Curly Bill
9/27/2013, 03:59 PM
PSU hid child abuse to protect their "vaunted" football program. They shoulda been hammered even harder. That the NCAA is now backing off shows even more what a joke the NCAA has become.

Frankly, these days if you're not cheating your *** off in recruiting and every other area to win you're not trying hard enough, because the NCAA has shown their power to do anything about it is laughable.

ouflak
9/28/2013, 12:59 AM
Agreed. That program should not have a football program now, and for a long time, until they get their priorities straight.

SCOUT
9/28/2013, 01:09 AM
I am frustrated with the NCAA because the people who are punished by their actions are rarely the people responsible. Pete Carroll, I am looking at you. Jim Tressel, you too.

Soonerjeepman
9/28/2013, 09:03 AM
agree and disagree....

Doesn't PSU VOLUNTARILY belong to the NCAA? As a member they ad-hear to the by-laws.

didn't SOME of the abuse happen on PSU's campus, in the football complex? Didn't university, particular football program employees, cover part of it up? ESPECIALLY since the school did nothing... If so then yes NCAA has not only the ability but obligation to get involved. IF it was totally off campus then no...

it sucks for those kids NOT involved..all of them..but at some point the institution needs to feel some responsibility IF it was involved in any way.

just my 2 cents

Jason White's Third Knee
9/29/2013, 01:11 AM
I see everyone's point. However, mine is the only one that is correct.

Damn, it's always that way.

Amaright?

Right????

Scott D
9/30/2013, 11:11 AM
I am frustrated with the NCAA because the people who are punished by their actions are rarely the people responsible. Pete Carroll, I am looking at you. Jim Tressel, you too.

I think Tressel can't coach in college for x amount of years, the same penalty that Kelvin Sampson got.

BigTip
9/30/2013, 11:44 AM

I said this repeatedly.
The NCAA's job is to make sure every team is on a level field. For example, they ensure that the schools that have the resources to do so, don't get to pay to get the good player's. That would affect the competitiveness of different schools.
Even though Penn State's program covered up a rehensible crime, it did not affect their on field competitiveness in any way.

BoulderSooner79
9/30/2013, 11:48 AM
I said this repeatedly.
The NCAA's job is to make sure every team is on a level field. For example, they ensure that the schools that have the resources to do so, don't get to pay to get the good player's. That would affect the competitiveness of different schools.
Even though Penn State's program covered up a rehensible crime, it did not affect their on field competitiveness in any way.

I dunno, I guess a school might be tempted to set up a NAMBLA vacation spa as a recruiting advantage if PSU isn't punished sufficiently.

BigTip
9/30/2013, 11:53 AM
I dunno, I guess a school might be tempted to set up a NAMBLA vacation spa as a recruiting advantage if PSU isn't punished sufficiently.

Had to Google it
"North American Man/Boy Love Association (NAMBLA) is a pedophile and pederasty advocacy organization in the United States"

lol

Curly Bill
9/30/2013, 08:58 PM
I said this repeatedly.

You don't think their team would have been worse had the public and possible recruits known they were covering up the molestation of little boys? Really?