PDA

View Full Version : Playas Gon' get Payed

ouflak
9/27/2013, 04:29 AM
EA settles lawsuit (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2013/09/26/ea-sports-ncaa-13-video-game-keller-obannon/2878307/)

...it is likely to result in the landmark distribution of tens of millions of dollars to thousands of college athletes — including current athletes — whose names or avatars have been in EA games since the early 2000s.

Show me da money!

jkjsooner
9/27/2013, 03:00 PM
So what you're going to end up with is a generic college football game where the teams are real but the players have no resemblance to real players. The various attributes of a player (including numbers) will be more random. Personally I prefer that as it increases the imaginative aspect of the games.

I think we'll end up with college football jerseys that have no numbers on them so they can't possibly be traced back to an individual player. That'll suck. Maybe schools will reserve a number like "00" for jersey sales.

The funny thing is, if they only sold "00" jerseys I'd bet they would sell almost as many. It's really about the school not any individual player!

jkjsooner
9/27/2013, 03:04 PM
Actually I'd love for the NCAA to take that route with jerseys. Reserve "00" for jersey sales and only allow this for new jerseys. Then attempt to push back the lawsuit a few years and compare the jersey sales to what they used to be. We'll find out pretty quickly who is really marketable - the players or the school.

badger
9/27/2013, 03:28 PM
I think we'll end up with college football jerseys that have no numbers on them so they can't possibly be traced back to an individual player. That'll suck. Maybe schools will reserve a number like "00" for jersey sales.

I'd love ex-player jerseys for sale --- why not put "PETERSON" on the back of #28, or "BRADFORD" on the back of a #14?

So what you're going to end up with is a generic college football game where the teams are real but the players have no resemblance to real players.
EA already said they're not doing the game anymore. Perhaps a Midway-like company could create an NFL Blitz clone where boxy players in college uniforms sans names, numbers or any resemblance to humans whatsoever could arcade around the field

badger
9/27/2013, 03:30 PM
The funny thing is, if they only sold "00" jerseys I'd bet they would sell almost as many. It's really about the school not any individual player!

I would admitted wear an Iowa jersey with Bob Stoops' name and number. :D

jkjsooner
9/27/2013, 04:41 PM
I'd love ex-player jerseys for sale --- why not put "PETERSON" on the back of #28, or "BRADFORD" on the back of a #14?

I almost suggested that. However I think that would require the ex-player to come to a financial agreement with the university and that would require NCAA approval.

This wouldn't be that abnormal though. Ex-players already sign autographed pictures of themselves in their school's uniforms. It probably gives a slight advantage of the name brand schools as a kid's marketability after his playing days is over is higher at these schools than mid-major schools but it's probably extremely slight. A kid who's looking at signing with either Alabama or UAB isn't really thinking about what his autograph (or jersey) may go for after he graduates. (He's probably under some kind of delusion that he's a lock for the NFL.)

PLaw
9/27/2013, 06:38 PM
I would admitted wear an Iowa jersey with Bob Stoops' name and number. :D
Badger, are you crushing on Bobby? ;))

Boomer!