PDA

View Full Version : How much will we see a four man front against Notre Dame?

8timechamps
9/25/2013, 05:15 PM
I don't think we've seen a four man front so far this season (although I could be wrong), but it's pretty safe to assume we'll see some this Saturday. As well as our defensive line has played so far, I don't think we can limit ND's running game with a three man front.

I think we'll see more 4-3 than 3-3-5 Saturday. With Nelson, Shannon and Alexander on the field a fair amount.

JiminyChristmas
9/25/2013, 05:44 PM
I've been thinking about that and I bet we will see it with Peterson alongside Philips at some point. That takes Striker off the field so, less pressure on the QB.

I think we start with the 3-4 (Striker/Nelson olb, Shannon/Alexander ilb) and see how we hold up. If we can hold up inside, obviously we can get more pressure out of it which I think will be important. The Denver Broncos are having success with a smaller, faster defense and I hope we can as well.

8timechamps
9/25/2013, 06:06 PM
I've been thinking about that and I bet we will see it with Peterson alongside Philips at some point. That takes Striker off the field so, less pressure on the QB.

I think we start with the 3-4 (Striker/Nelson olb, Shannon/Alexander ilb) and see how we hold up. If we can hold up inside, obviously we can get more pressure out of it which I think will be important. The Denver Broncos are having success with a smaller, faster defense and I hope we can as well.

I suppose Striker could be left in if we go to a 4-3, as he can play in place of Alexander in that scheme. In fact, I'd think that's what Mike would do, as Striker is faster than Alexander.

I'd love to see us in a 3-4 the entire game, but the only way that's going to happen is if our NT can hold down the middle. I trust Phillips could do that, but I'm not sure Peterson and others could. Sure would be a nice game for Quincy Russell to break out.

OU_Sooners75
9/25/2013, 06:58 PM
Why would we see a four man front?

We are paper thin at DL, and have decent depth at DE.

After seeing how Bama played them last year with a 3-4. Why not stick with what we have been doing?

That was an issue last year and the year before with our defense. The coaches would keep changing the defenses to try to one up the offenses.

You can't expect to do that and stay consistent.

OU_Sooners75
9/25/2013, 07:01 PM
I think people are giving ND too much credit.

Play what the team has been playing and adjust from there. Don't put in a new scheme.

They can't beat us on the edge. So we have to e able to limit up the middle. And I think we have the NG to do the clogging in the middle.

The Line doesn't have to make the tackles, just clog the holes and don't allow an OL push.

8timechamps
9/25/2013, 07:27 PM

After seeing how Bama played them last year with a 3-4. Why not stick with what we have been doing?

That was an issue last year and the year before with our defense. The coaches would keep changing the defenses to try to one up the offenses.

Well, the biggest reason I think we'll see a four man front is because Stoops said we will play a four man front some against Notre Dame.

Secondly, it's clear that ND wants to run the ball, and conventional wisdom says to play a four man front against 12 or 13 personnel.

8timechamps
9/25/2013, 07:28 PM

Play what the team has been playing and adjust from there. Don't put in a new scheme.

They can't beat us on the edge. So we have to e able to limit up the middle. And I think we have the NG to do the clogging in the middle.

The Line doesn't have to make the tackles, just clog the holes and don't allow an OL push.

I trust Phillips can hold his own. After that, I'm not seeing what you're seeing.

OU_Sooners75
9/25/2013, 07:33 PM

I trust Phillips can hold his own. After that, I'm not seeing what you're seeing.

What I'm saying is with Phillips in the middle he has the ability to disrupt runs up the middle.

True, a 3-4 is weaker at stopping the run up the middle, but if you have a good NG that can hold his own in the middle, it makes it where the OL has to bring double teams or even in some cases triple teams and use a bunch of chip blocks.

Meaning, if Phillips can occupy the middle and draw doubles, it gives OU a numbers advantage in the middle.

That said, how the other DTs have performed so far, I wouldn't trust putting them in on a 4 man front, solely because of the lack of depth. We see a dramatic drop off when Phillips is off the field.

Yes, a 4 front is more efficient against the run. But the Irish isn't an impressive rushing team.

They have a QB that can sling the ball around. So they are going to attack through the air more than likely. Much like they have against all their opponents thus far.

8timechamps
9/25/2013, 08:18 PM
What I'm saying is with Phillips in the middle he has the ability to disrupt runs up the middle.

True, a 3-4 is weaker at stopping the run up the middle, but if you have a good NG that can hold his own in the middle, it makes it where the OL has to bring double teams or even in some cases triple teams and use a bunch of chip blocks.

Meaning, if Phillips can occupy the middle and draw doubles, it gives OU a numbers advantage in the middle.

That said, how the other DTs have performed so far, I wouldn't trust putting them in on a 4 man front, solely because of the lack of depth. We see a dramatic drop off when Phillips is off the field.

Yes, a 4 front is more efficient against the run. But the Irish isn't an impressive rushing team.

They have a QB that can sling the ball around. So they are going to attack through the air more than likely. Much like they have against all their opponents thus far.

I don't disagree with you, but Stoops said he'll play some 4 man fronts. Here's my thinking, Phillips and Ndulue inside, Grissom and Tapper outside. That's a pretty solid front four, but after that, it gets a little "iffy" inside.

I think we'll see a similar setup to what what Notre Dame ran against us last year, both three man and four man front (depending on the down and distance).

If ever Phillips needed to have a big game, this is the one.

OU_Sooners75
9/25/2013, 09:02 PM
We have seen some four man fronts this year by bringing up a LB on the edge. We have also seen some 5 front.

We may see some traditional 4 front personnel, but the depth of the DT just worries me if we stay with a four front all game long.

Collier11
9/25/2013, 09:08 PM
we will see a 4 man front and we will see more (which isn't saying much) of Quincy Russell. On another note, they have a good receiver (devaris daniels) and I am interested to see if Colvin matches up on him

8timechamps
9/25/2013, 09:11 PM
We have seen some four man fronts this year by bringing up a LB on the edge. We have also seen some 5 front.

We may see some traditional 4 front personnel, but the depth of the DT just worries me if we stay with a four front all game long.

Agreed, and I don't think we'll see a four man front the whole game. If we do, then something is going wrong.

8timechamps
9/25/2013, 09:12 PM
we will see a 4 man front and we will see more (which isn't saying much) of Quincy Russell. On another note, they have a good receiver (devaris daniels) and I am interested to see if Colvin matches up on him

Going back and watching the first three games, our defense has played very vanilla. Against Tulsa, it was even more 'blah' than the first two games. We will definitely see some new stuff this weekend.

I think Mike took a calculated risk against WVU, knowing that they weren't as lethal on offense as last year's group. It worked out pretty well, and he was able to keep any wrinkles close to the vest.

Collier11
9/25/2013, 09:16 PM
we have very few sacks but have gotten good pressure...Rees has been known to make big plays with his arm but big mistakes if you press him, would love to see a 5 sack game by our D

8timechamps
9/25/2013, 09:27 PM
we have very few sacks but have gotten good pressure...Rees has been known to make big plays with his arm but big mistakes if you press him, would love to see a 5 sack game by our D

MSU did a good job of being physical with ND's receivers, which helped MSU (although, they risked the penalties, and that hurt them). I think the real key for OU's defense is very similar to ND's defensive key from last year's game: Make the QB uncomfortable, and force mistakes. I don't know if Rees is as mistake prone as LJ was under pressure, but I suspect we'll find out.

Collier11
9/25/2013, 09:30 PM
Well that's because Landry could look like Tom Brady 99% of the game and then Ryan Leaf in the worst possible moments

Temujin
9/26/2013, 11:09 AM
I don't think we've seen a four man front so far this season (although I could be wrong), but it's pretty safe to assume we'll see some this Saturday. As well as our defensive line has played so far, I don't think we can limit ND's running game with a three man front.

I think we'll see more 4-3 than 3-3-5 Saturday. With Nelson, Shannon and Alexander on the field a fair amount.

As much as I'd like to see us in a 4-3 for keeps, I almost hope that we don't do that for this game. The main reason is that when you run too many different fronts and formations, it tends to open up the possibility for broken coverage. I imagine instead we'll probably change personnel frequently, bring more guys into the box and run-blitz on key downs.

Temujin
9/26/2013, 12:28 PM

Interesting. I wasn't aware that they did. I thought Bama was a 4-3 all the way. Of course, I didn't watch the NC last year. I pretty much knew that Bama would destroy ND.

That said, I agree with the part about switching up defensive fronts too often. And, as long as we're assignment sound, and as long as we're being aggressive, there's no reason the 3-4 can't stop the run and/or put pressure on the QB.

8timechamps
9/26/2013, 01:09 PM
As much as I'd like to see us in a 4-3 for keeps, I almost hope that we don't do that for this game. The main reason is that when you run too many different fronts and formations, it tends to open up the possibility for broken coverage. I imagine instead we'll probably change personnel frequently, bring more guys into the box and run-blitz on key downs.

I really think it's going to depend on how ND trys to attack the Sooner defense.

I'm sure we'll see one and two TE sets all day (at least when their trying to run), so that could force Mike's hand (with putting more guys up front).

MSU put 9 and 10 guys in the box sometimes last week, and really stuffed ND on the ground. While MSU has a very good defense so far, I think we are faster (overall), and that could limit ND's ability to get to the edges. I'd be shocked if we didn't see them pounding the ball off-tackle or right up the gut, to test our resolve in the middle.

One thing we have shown this year, is that we can go from a 3 man front to a 5 man front without substitutions. Bringing Striker and Shannon up, and spinning down a safety could/should match up fairly well when ND goes with two TEs, or a loaded backfield.

Zack Sanchez is going to be the guy that's probably tested most (outside of Phillips and our DTs). Kelly/Rees know what Colvin can do, so it stands to reason they would go after the young DB. Fortunately, Sanchez hasn't played like a redshirt freshman. I like how our secondary has shaped up.

OU_Sooners75
9/26/2013, 02:48 PM
Before I continue tying this post, I want to say I am in no way comparing OUs defense to the Steelers of the 1990s or 2000s.

That said, the Steelers used to run a 3-4 defense (and may still, I haven't watched an NFL game in over a season). They were one of the top NFL defenses for a very long time in running the 3-4. And they did this in a league that was heavy run offenses.

Like I said I'm not comparing, just throwing it out there. That a 3-4 can be a very good defense against the run if planned correctly and the front 7 are disciplined and aggressive to their gap responsibilities.

The one way the steelers made it so successful vs the run was they had some very good OLBs like Kevin Green that could put a hand on the ground and make the front line a 5 front.

Anyway, I don't see a reason to put a 4-3 in just to concentrate on the run. ND this year has been a better passing team than run team so far. And I feel our front 7 compares quite nicely to all the teams ND has played so far.

OU_Sooners75
9/26/2013, 02:51 PM

I really think it's going to depend on how ND trys to attack the Sooner defense.

I'm sure we'll see one and two TE sets all day (at least when their trying to run), so that could force Mike's hand (with putting more guys up front).

MSU put 9 and 10 guys in the box sometimes last week, and really stuffed ND on the ground. While MSU has a very good defense so far, I think we are faster (overall), and that could limit ND's ability to get to the edges. I'd be shocked if we didn't see them pounding the ball off-tackle or right up the gut, to test our resolve in the middle.

One thing we have shown this year, is that we can go from a 3 man front to a 5 man front without substitutions. Bringing Striker and Shannon up, and spinning down a safety could/should match up fairly well when ND goes with two TEs, or a loaded backfield.

Zack Sanchez is going to be the guy that's probably tested most (outside of Phillips and our DTs). Kelly/Rees know what Colvin can do, so it stands to reason they would go after the young DB. Fortunately, Sanchez hasn't played like a redshirt freshman. I like how our secondary has shaped up.

I would be surprised if we see a lot d 2 TE looks. Every game so far they have not really gone that route at all.

They run a lot of single back, 1 TE, and 3 WR looks.

And besides from what I've gathered talking to some ND fans on rivals, they really don't have a second TE they are comfortable with.

Temujin
9/26/2013, 02:56 PM

Very true, unless they're using multiple TEs with the intention of running some of their passing game from those formations. But then again, that's what makes coaching defense so difficult, and why I'd almost stick with what you're familiar with than trying to get too fancy with your defensive formations.

Hehe, I should have read down further. Yep, and this is what I think Stoops will do. We don't have a lot of depth, but the guys we do have are quite diverse in their abilities.

Man, I almost hope that they test Sanchez. He's a frosh, but I really like what I've seen from him so far. I'm curious to see how he'll fare. I might be wrong to say that, but from what little I've seen, he's been very good.

8timechamps
9/26/2013, 03:11 PM
I would be surprised if we see a lot d 2 TE looks. Every game so far they have not really gone that route at all.

They run a lot of single back, 1 TE, and 3 WR looks.

And besides from what I've gathered talking to some ND fans on rivals, they really don't have a second TE they are comfortable with.

I was just assuming they use two TEs. I honestly don't know, or care, much about their depth chart. I know that they have used two TEs a few times over the first three games, mostly for running on third down.

8timechamps
9/26/2013, 03:14 PM
Man, I almost hope that they test Sanchez. He's a frosh, but I really like what I've seen from him so far. I'm curious to see how he'll fare. I might be wrong to say that, but from what little I've seen, he's been very good.

I bet they do. I'm sure they'll try to stay away from Colvin as much as they can, and that leave Zack and the safeties. Sanchez has been really impressive, and I'm pretty comfortable with our safety situation too.

One thing we can get used to is the quality of talent we have in the secondary. There are a lot of young guys that can play, and there are more coming in next year. Not only has Mike upgraded the defense, he's upgraded the level of overall talent in our secondary.

Temujin
9/26/2013, 04:32 PM
I bet they do. I'm sure they'll try to stay away from Colvin as much as they can, and that leave Zack and the safeties. Sanchez has been really impressive, and I'm pretty comfortable with our safety situation too.

One thing we can get used to is the quality of talent we have in the secondary. There are a lot of young guys that can play, and there are more coming in next year. Not only has Mike upgraded the defense, he's upgraded the level of overall talent in our secondary.

No doubt. My only disappointment (and it's a minor one) is Julian Wilson. It's not his talent, he's looked particularly good. But he's been really close to making some DUMB mistakes - like hitting a QB late and trash talking down players. I don't mind the aggressiveness, as long as it doesn't cost us. But it almost has.

I would like to see us recruit more OL/DL, though. I feel like we're getting left behind at those positions in comparison to most other "elite" teams. I'm hoping that our off-season coaching acquisitions help that, though. If so, I really think we're going to be set for a good run in the next few years.