PDA

View Full Version : Anyone bought anything off of an infomercial?

8timechamps
9/25/2013, 03:16 PM
I'm not talking about a network shopping channel, I'm talking about those 30 minute infomercials.

I sleep poorly, and see those things on TV all the time. I never watch the entire commercial, but sometimes I'll watch 5 minutes, or so, then turn the channel. Last night, I'm watching the one about the Ninja blender. It actually looks like a pretty good blender, but I have no idea if it's any better/worse than any other brand.

I've never purchased anything from an infomercial, so I have no idea if the stuff is any good/overpriced.

SoonerInFortSmith
9/25/2013, 05:15 PM
My mom ordered me the banjo minnow fishing kit as a gift a while back. Charged her card 60 or 80 bucks. Never got the product.

yermom
9/25/2013, 06:01 PM
if i was going to buy a blender, it would be one of these: http://www.willitblend.com/

8timechamps
9/25/2013, 06:09 PM
My mom ordered me the banjo minnow fishing kit as a gift a while back. Charged her card 60 or 80 bucks. Never got the product.

That's exactly what I'm worried about. I may just actually go find one in person.

Turd_Ferguson
9/25/2013, 06:37 PM
That's exactly what I'm worried about. I may just actually go find one in person.
I think Kohl's has the Ninjas...

GDC
9/25/2013, 07:20 PM
if i was going to buy a blender, it would be one of these: http://www.willitblend.com/

heh

Jacie
9/25/2013, 08:30 PM
Yeah, I wait till I can find the item at Walmart on the as-seen-on-tv aisle.

Still need to pick up one of those shake weights for the wifey . . .

Curly Bill
9/25/2013, 09:06 PM
Yeah, I wait till I can find the item at Walmart on the as-seen-on-tv aisle.

Still need to pick up one of those shake weights for the wifey . . .

I got a shake weight for your wifey! ;)

okiewaker
9/25/2013, 10:26 PM
Bought a TG to arrive Monday,,Sep 30. Chuck Norris TG,,,I will have a magnificent body by Christmas.

salth2o
9/25/2013, 10:36 PM
I love teh infomercials too, but I have never bought anything by calling the number on the screen. However, we do own a Ninja and Teh Redhead uses it for smoothies etc. we bought it from Kohls for $50. She is the queen of coupons and discounts. We have a Cuisinart blender for heavier duty uses.

yermom
9/26/2013, 07:08 AM
but what if you need to blend your smartphone?

rofgMueCOqo

Jacie
9/26/2013, 08:04 AM
I got a shake weight for your wifey! ;)

Thanks, but she doesn't need the small-sized one . . .

achiro
9/26/2013, 09:12 AM
My wife's grandma bought some kind of exercise thing a few years ago. They signed her up for all kinds of other crap, like vitamins delivered once a month, magazines, a couple other items. All for additional charges of course. Apparently they have you stay on the line and you have to say no to every item or it automatically signs you up for them. She thought the call was over and hung up. It was a mess and several hundred dollars on her credit card we had to clear up for her. Thankfully it did all get fixed by the CC company.

C&CDean
9/26/2013, 09:57 AM
About 16 or so years ago I bought a Dick Butkus newspaper grill off an infomercial where Dick was on the beach at Lake Michigan grilling up steaks/chops/burgers/dogs with it. You just put the 3 pieces together, scrunch up some newspaper and stuff it in, and light it. Starts cooking immediately, and you're actually cooking with "wood."

Surprisingly, the dang thing works very well. The first SF.com tailgate at the Sarkey Center featured this very grill. I haven't busted it out in probably 12 years though.

Howzit
9/26/2013, 10:04 AM
I'm not talking about a network shopping channel, I'm talking about those 30 minute infomercials.

I sleep poorly, and see those things on TV all the time. I never watch the entire commercial, but sometimes I'll watch 5 minutes, or so, then turn the channel. Last night, I'm watching the one about the Ninja blender. It actually looks like a pretty good blender, but I have no idea if it's any better/worse than any other brand.

I've never purchased anything from an infomercial, so I have no idea if the stuff is any good/overpriced.

Only if you count the Insanity workout, and I got that cheap on ebay.

And it's kicking my ***.

salth2o
9/26/2013, 11:32 AM
About 16 or so years ago I bought a Dick Butkus newspaper grill off an infomercial where Dick was on the beach at Lake Michigan grilling up steaks/chops/burgers/dogs with it. You just put the 3 pieces together, scrunch up some newspaper and stuff it in, and light it. Starts cooking immediately, and you're actually cooking with "wood."

Surprisingly, the dang thing works very well. The first SF.com tailgate at the Sarkey Center featured this very grill. I haven't busted it out in probably 12 years though.

I'll give ya $3.50 and some cheetos for it.

C&CDean
9/27/2013, 09:02 AM
Only if you count the Insanity workout, and I got that cheap on ebay.

And it's kicking my ***.

WTF are you doing with insanity? You're old. Accept it, and waddle around the block for an hour or so, pump a little iron, and have an adult beverage or 6. Be like me.

hawaii 5-0
9/27/2013, 12:30 PM
I kinda miss Vince of ShamWow fame (infame?).

5-0

KantoSooner
9/27/2013, 04:30 PM
A CD of "Zamfir, Master of the Pan Flute". About 1983.

I won't even go into how much I'd had to drink. It was a wonder I made it through the call.

stoopified
10/7/2013, 02:52 PM
Bought some Mighty Putty.turns out,it works as well as Silly Putty and about as useful.

achiro
10/14/2013, 08:13 AM
Saw that Ninja Blender at Sam's on Penn over the weekend.

8timechamps
10/14/2013, 03:26 PM
Saw that Ninja Blender at Sam's on Penn over the weekend.

I bought one (at Sams) a couple of weeks ago, and it's pretty awesome. Does everything it says it does on the infomercial. I've been using it for breakfast smoothies, and it's been great for that purpose. I'm sure it can do a lot more, but I'm not a big time chef, so I'm probably not going to get the full benefit from it.

olevetonahill
10/14/2013, 04:50 PM
I bought one (at Sams) a couple of weeks ago, and it's pretty awesome. Does everything it says it does on the infomercial. I've been using it for breakfast smoothies, and it's been great for that purpose. I'm sure it can do a lot more, but I'm not a big time chef, so I'm probably not going to get the full benefit from it.

The ProNJ600 is a 100 bucks on Amazon.

8timechamps
10/14/2013, 05:26 PM
The ProNJ600 is a 100 bucks on Amazon.

Do I even want to know what that is?